Unruly assholes on airplanes and the "no fly" list

Gil Bang

We've all read about  the numerous incidents on airplanes.  So, this week we had another idiot go apeshit on a flight, and a stewardess had to beat him over the head with a coffee pot while passengers tried to tackle him.   He should be on a no-fly list, right?  That's what the Delta CEO wants, and that's what I think should happen.  If you are charged and convicted of fucking around on a flight, you should find out, and take a fucking greyhound next time you need to get somewhere.

Every rational person would agree with this, right? 

Of course, the fuckfaces in the GOP think it's all good.

A group of Republican senators is pushing back against efforts to create a federal “no-fly” list for unruly passengers, arguing that doing so would essentially draw an equivalence between terrorists and opponents of mask mandates.

The eight Republican senators voiced their concerns in a letter Monday to Attorney General Merrick Garland. They noted that, according to Federal Aviation Administration data, the vast majority of reports of unruly passengers have been related to the mandated use of face masks amid the pandemic.

“While we strongly condemn any violence towards airline workers, there is significant uncertainty around the efficacy of this mandate, as highlighted by the CEO of Southwest Airlines during a recent Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee hearing,” the senators wrote. “Creating a federal ‘no-fly’ list for unruly passengers who are skeptical of this mandate would seemingly equate them to terrorists who seek to actively take the lives of Americans and perpetrate attacks on the homeland.”

The senators argued that the Transportation Security Administration “was created in the wake of 9/11 to protect Americans from future horrific attacks, not to regulate human behavior onboard flights.”

The eight Republicans signing the letter are Sens. Cynthia M. Lummis (Wyo.), Mike Lee (Utah), James Lankford (Okla.), Marco Rubio (Fla.), Kevin Cramer (N.D.), Ted Cruz (Tex.), John Hoeven (N.D.) and Rick Scott (Fla.).

Earlier this month, Delta Air Lines chief executive Ed Bastian sent a letter to Garland urging him to support industry efforts to create a national list that would bar those convicted of onboard incidents from travel. Airlines maintain their own lists of passengers who are barred from traveling but don’t share information with other carriers. Bastian said Delta has 1,900 people on its no-fly list.

As recently as last weekend, two American Airlines flights were forced to divert from their destinations because of unruly passengers. In one case, a passenger attempted to open the main passenger door while the aircraft was in flight.

In a separate incident, a Delta Air Lines passenger allegedly tried to open an emergency door in flight last week in the hope that other passengers would record him sharing his views on coronavirus vaccines. The passenger is now facing federal charges.

Unions representing airline workers have argued that a centralized list is necessary because a passenger banned from one airline can simply book a flight on another carrier.

In a statement Tuesday, the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA called the eight senators’ letter “irresponsible and political brinkmanship that puts our economic security at risk right along with our lives.”

“Homeland security is homeland security,” said the union’s president, Sara Nelson. “Our flights are under attack by a small number of people and it has to stop. … This is not about ‘masks,’ and the worst attacks have nothing to do with masks. You’re either for protecting crew and passengers from these attacks or you’re against.”

Timothy Bella contributed to this report.

• Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

The eight Republicans signing the letter are Sens. Cynthia M. Lummis (Wyo.), Mike Lee (Utah), James Lankford (Okla.), Marco Rubio (Fla.), Kevin Cramer (N.D.), Ted Cruz (Tex.), John Hoeven (N.D.) and Rick Scott (Fla.).

Ahh, the senators from the great states of Texas, Oklahoma, North Dakota, Wyoming, Florida and Utah ... the new Senate "Freedums" caucus, if you will. 

34 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

As someone who flew enough last year to keep his 1k status with United, let me say I've yet to see any of these incidents in real life, which I'm grateful for.  Maybe us United flyers are just better sheep, I dunno, but I'm grateful.

Same. Have flown the world over several times and never seen an incident. Not even in the airport that I can recall.  Worst I’ve had, and this did suck, was some hand got drunk and shit his pants on a flight to Cd del Carmen once. They couldn’t wake him up so it just smelled like shit for a few hours.  I hope he made the list. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

Same. Have flown the world over several times and never seen an incident. Not even in the airport that I can recall.  Worst I’ve had, and this did suck, was some hand got drunk and shit his pants on a flight to Cd del Carmen once. They couldn’t wake him up so it just smelled like shit for a few hours.  I hope he made the list. 

sorry for partying

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Drool 1

Why are these guys always against business setting the rules for who can use their services? Well except for that bakery, they did not want the bakery to be forced to serve everyone.

They want to force businesses to not set safety standards for their facilities and services.  Seems rather anti-business/communistic to force all businesses to do what the government says.

I avg about 110 segments a year for last 20 years. Only slowed in 1st 2 months of Covid and back full steam. 

1 incident. We sat at LAX for about 2 hrs while something and someone got finally removed. Never sure what happened but person was married to some semi famous preacher and was putting up a fuss about something. Wife saw it on TMZ (maybe). It happened in back of plane so I couldn’t see what the unwashed masses were doing. 

I am a surly 50% for sure. LOL. 
Pre Covid. 

Edited by Shaddie
  • Like 1

I see all kinds of stupid shit. Saw a guy go apoplectic on other passengers, yelling at them and threatening to fight them, while waiting for a flight. SWA didn’t let him on the plane. He called his “attorney” on speaker phone and yelled and screamed until he finally just went home. 

I’ve flown 25 times since Covid and seen 3 incidents like this. The above was the worst. If an airline doesn’t want you flying, that should be their prerogative. No idea why idiot politicians are getting involved. 

I've flown quite a bit pre covid and during covid.  I'm usually a united flyer but I fly whatever is convenient too if united isn't available.  Since covid it has been the bum rush to the front guys.  Pre covid it only happened once and that was a flight from Taipei to Bangkok.  My last flight was coming from Vegas to IAH.  Everything was fine and we were actually about 45 minutes from landing and the stewardess asks the guy to put his facemask back on and he just flips the fuck out.  He was saying he couldn't breathe.  Someone said if we get delayed getting off the plane because of you I'll fucking make sure you won't be breathing.  He put his mask back on and was fine

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

The senators argued that the Transportation Security Administration “was created in the wake of 9/11 to protect Americans from future horrific attacks, not to regulate human behavior onboard flights.”

What a dumbass and disingenuous sophism this is. 

The no-fly list was created to protect Americans precisely by regulating human behavior on planes. Which is exactly what the airlines are wanting to do with this proposal.

The motivation for the behavior is completely irrelevant to the issue, so of course that's all the Rs are interested in. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I don’t think it’s right that airlines make unilateral decisions about who can and cannot fly on their planes.

when incidents happen on flights, flights get diverted and are forced to land elsewhere. 

when this happens, i think it should be up to the fellow passengers to vote on what lists the troublemaker should go on. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I have only had one flight since COVID began.  It was international on Swiss.  No issues.  Then again, I have been avoiding domestic travel like the plague because of idiots.

I have had a handful of flights since the beginning of Covid and all have been incident-free. The smoothest flight was the 2nd half of the trip from NYC to Honolulu this past September. Switched in Vegas to Hawaiian Airlines for that. Granted the destination was amazing, but still the flight attendants were so pleasant and people behaved.

I believe if you are going to cause an incident on an aircraft then yes you should be banned from flying and if the federal government needs to be part of this effort so be it. Pick another place to spew anger, hate and violence besides 35000 feet. 

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, kevwun said:

She said it was a lot easier for them to open the door now before takeoff to let anyone off who didn't agree compared to having to do it mid flight. 

They need to bring back that rear stairway 727's had, except make it a slide.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, pacman said:

I am all for Delta's proposal provided there are clear guidelines.

It sounds like there are clear guidelines.  The pilot/captain is in charge and the flight attendants are on the chain of command.  As a passenger one agrees to follow their commands under the auspices of safety and not being an asshole.  So if someone violates the asshole clause or safety clause, that person(s) is booted forever.  No refunds.  So be sure to let everyone know that one is an asshole before the flight takes off, it will save him/her $50,000 less, no homestead exemptions.   Asshole clause and safety clause is subject to arbitration with the pilots bosses after the fact and definitions can change.  

Also emotional support animals, should be tossed into the engine before take off, Firefly style. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Intentional behavior that incurs a cost to the airline (i.e. forced landing) should be passed onto the passenger(s) causing the problem. I don't see a problem that the airlines ban that person until the fine is paid in full or until a judge dismisses the fine.  

There is no right to fly on commercial planes.  If Cruz and the other GOP senators feel otherwise, why propose a constitutional amendment giving everyone the right to fly commercial regardless of their behavior.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

There is no right to fly on commercial planes.  If Cruz and the other GOP senators feel otherwise, why propose a constitutional amendment giving everyone the right to fly commercial regardless of their behavior.

If there is a right to fly regardless of behavior, then there is a right to drive regardless of behavior.

• Haha 1

I would be willing to set aside all mask requirements if airlines would outlaw all laptop use for work purposes in flight.

Yes, we get it-- you are an important flunky. An overworked important flunky. But once you step on my airplane, you should be sipping your double bourbon and socializing as if you had some upbringing.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

I would be willing to set aside all mask requirements if airlines would outlaw all laptop use for work purposes in flight.
Yes, we get it-- you are an important flunky. An overworked important flunky. But once you step on my airplane, you should be sipping your double bourbon and socializing as if you had some upbringing.

I hope you fly with my Aunt one day. You’ll be wishing you could split your belly before the drink tray comes around.
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, RPM said:

They need to bring back that rear stairway 727's had, except make it a slide.

Sell $10 lottery style tickets to the other passengers for who gets to push the offender down the slide sans parachute.    The proceeds go to winner plus they get the visceral thrill of offing another person, literally.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Macanudo said:

Sell $10 lottery style tickets to the other passengers for who gets to push the offender down the slide sans parachute.    The proceeds go to winner plus they get the visceral thrill of offing another person, literally.

I'm down for 10.

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

I'd ask her for a back rub.

You might get it.  But I believe she is currently saving herself for Blake Shelton whom she is having an online relationship with.   I wish I was kidding.  Yes, she is old >80.  

2 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Hahaha.  I remembered when I used to fly all the time for work.  When I first started I would pull out my laptop and be like oh yeah I got really important international business stuff to do.  Then after the second flight I was like bitch you are flying economy going into a project in El Dorado, Kansas.  It ain't that important if it was you would have it done already.

But I learned that is the American mindset.  We think working all the time makes us important.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

Back when pagers first came out, there were dudes wearing them in holsters all high n mighty. I'm like Dude That's Your Dog Leash.
Now gimme a dollar.

I was the first guy in my social circle with a car phone. My employer furnished it, had it installed, and covered the bill.

I thought I was hot shit for a day or two and then I realized, “fuck, these guys can get ahold of me all the time”. It didn’t take me long to realize that I wouldn’t be enjoying my days in the field quite as much anymore.
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

45 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I was the first guy in my social circle with a car phone. My employer furnished it, had it installed, and covered the bill.

I thought I was hot shit for a day or two and then I realized, “fuck, these guys can get ahold of me all the time”. It didn’t take me long to realize that I wouldn’t be enjoying my days in the field quite as much anymore.

We do hope you keep the phone with you, Mr. Lebowski.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1