Ukraine War

BehoId, The Underminer!

16 hours ago, Bullneck said:

When was the dollar damaged?

This is a pretty strong summary of the background and the likely effects of our actions. 

“The prospect of total asset invalidation is an unacceptable tail risk, and any nation-state wary of falling afoul of U.S. sensibilities, especially as the U.S. becomes ever more capricious and less interested in the well-being of the international sphere it used to govern, will consider diversifying out of U.S. Treasurys and other freezable assets.”

• Fuck You 2

13 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

This is a pretty strong summary of the background and the likely effects of our actions. 

“The prospect of total asset invalidation is an unacceptable tail risk, and any nation-state wary of falling afoul of U.S. sensibilities, especially as the U.S. becomes ever more capricious and less interested in the well-being of the international sphere it used to govern, will consider diversifying out of U.S. Treasurys and other freezable assets.”

I had to look up who is Nic Carter.

lulz

nic-carter__21844.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Tex48 said:

I think it was short sighted bc it took too much time. I'm pissed we didn't go straight for the jugular to start with and ban russian crude domestically tbh even if our allies didn't follow.  We also let the Italians and other countries cut deals with Russian commodities such as aluminum before we pushed through sanctions. We let Putin's semi-state owned enterprises make money before we pushed through sanction that actually mattered.  At the end of the day, the oligarchs and Putin still got paid and I believe we cost ourselves and focused on the wrong things. 

I mean the invasion began on 2/24. I believe pretty swift reprisals and sanctions were enacted within a week or so.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tex48 said:

I think you need to realize no one in the CR understands how the USD functions as a reserve currency or why this matters. I agree with everything you are saying and think you are right.  I work in crude oil trading and as soon as all of these things happened we knew there would be ramifications like this that the general public does not understand. I think this was a very short sighted move by the current admin for brownie points and we will see the ramifications for years to come. 

For the those of you who are about to neg me, your dollar is going to lose value over time as a direct result of this and you should care.  

Thanks. It seems clear to me, but a lot of my intellectual focus outside of my job is following this stuff. Like I said a weird gap in knowledge here. A lot of the responses here proving my point.

Let’s see. 

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I understand how the USD functions as a reserve currency and why it matters. China will continue to try and replace the dollar with the yuan, however, it will struggle as a reserve because it's not a safe store of value with easy to access banks and low risk bonds, and Beijing imposing strict controls. 

So I disagree, it was not short-sighted to impose sanctions on Russia as they commit genocide in Ukraine for a little pearl clutching about the US dollar. 

Your opinion here shows that you really don’t understand. The dollar and the global financial system function solely on faith and trust. Seizing a country’s Central Bank reserves will cause many parties to question how many dollar and other fiat reserves they want to hold and with whom. It will cause demand for dollars to decrease over time. Saudi already becoming more vocal about other options.

China doesn’t have to be ready now. These things take time.  This accelerated change.

1 hour ago, Hefeweizen said:

Lol this is bullshit.  No one trusts the Chinese government and if the Saudis want a reserve currency they trust they’ll still either go Swiss francs euros pounds or dollars.  Yuan fucking nuts if you think anyone will put cash in Chinese denomination.

It doesn’t have to be China. That’s just who SA is looking at because of their trade volumes. Our sanctions push the financial system to becoming multipolar rather than unipolar as it currently stands. 

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

You're an absolute fucking moron if you believe that Chinese or Saudi interest in moving away from the dollar is directly tied to sanctions over Ukraine (which is what the person you're agreeing with thinks). And you're a special moron if you think giving into Putin would not result in Russia's continued progress in weakening our status globally, including by replacing the dollar as the primary reserve currency. 

Why wouldn’t seizing of FX reserves cause policy reconsiderations? We literally took the national wealth from a belligerent country. Of course other countries take notice. It’s foolish to pretend they won’t. Feels like you’re the moron. 

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

Also, I'm pretty sure the idiot's preference that everyone adopt Bitcoin would also replace the US Dollar as the global reserve currency and would have a much more substantial "negative ramifications for years to come." Maybe choose your bedfellow more carefully before lecturing to the rest of us. 

I’d rather the dollar remain unquestioned leader. I’m into bitcoin as a hedge and evidently I can read the tea leaves and history better than 99% of posters here.  

1 hour ago, Tuco said:

Thankyou.  Reading through the comments was like watching the disinformation machine play out in real time.  

Fucking idiotvibes posts about the dollar crashing and how it's tied to Ukraine sanctions.  People react to the sanctions part, without challenging the basis, which, of course, is just utter fucking nonsense.  It's how disinformation becomes commonly accepted. 

I didn’t say it’s crashing. These things take time. I said it’s a sea change in the global financial system. One that will be obvious in retrospect.

It’s not disinformation, it’s an interpretation of events that you disagree with. 

I’ll link a good podcast explaining some of this more clearly when I get a chance to finish it. Hopefully it will help some of y’all see past your personal issues with me. 

• Fuck You 4

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I keep reading stories about how shelters, evacuation corridors, hospitals, etc keep getting hit. I wonder how much of that is due to pure malignance, poor military training, and/or inferior weapons and systems. Not to say that Putin isn't unscrupulous enough to murder civilians by the bushel, but  I don't see how that could be his primary objective. I wonder if it's yet another example of how poorly equipped Russia actually is.

They did the same shit in Syria. It's not accidental, it's intentional.

• Rage+1 1

So am I understand this correctly?  Republicans are now anti Russia because they want to goad Biden into joining the war so then in 8 months the entire midterm campaigning will revolve around (probably still) high gas prices, X number of Americans have died, X billion of “your tax dollars” spent.  Is that the play here?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

So am I understand this correctly?  Republicans are now anti Russia because they want to goad Biden into joining the war so then in 8 months the entire midterm campaigning will revolve around (probably still) high gas prices, X number of Americans have died, X billion of “your tax dollars” spent.  Is that the play here?

but I thought you don't change presidents in wartime either?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

d244cbf82727a465a893dd83fabe6cf7.gif

36 minutes ago, F250 said:

I had to look up who is Nic Carter.

lulz

nic-carter__21844.jpeg

Nic Carter is a partner at Castle Island Ventures and the cofounder of blockchain data aggregator Coinmetrics.io. Previously, he served as Fidelity Investments' first cryptoasset analyst.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, F250 said:

Instead of citing experts you are citing a crypto bro that is financially motivated by this messaging. You might as well link to an Instagram influencers picture with them holding a bottle of vitamin water that says the water has bitcoin in it.

This is too easy.  But I guess most of GRUHorn's subjects don't bother to question him.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, F250 said:

Instead of citing experts you are citing a crypto bro that is financially motivated by this messaging. You might as well link to an Instagram influencers picture with them holding a bottle of vitamin water that says the water has bitcoin in it.

What I hate most is that the ridiculous scenario you made up has most certainly already happened.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I keep reading stories about how shelters, evacuation corridors, hospitals, etc keep getting hit. I wonder how much of that is due to pure malignance, poor military training, and/or inferior weapons and systems. Not to say that Putin isn't unscrupulous enough to murder civilians by the bushel, but  I don't see how that could be his primary objective. I wonder if it's yet another example of how poorly equipped Russia actually is.

Clausewitz described military victory as a condition where the enemy's ability to enter battle, resist, or resume hostilities is destroyed. 

Sherman's march was punitive as part of total war. Kill the will to fight on. Also see German and Allied bombing campaigns of WWII.

In modern terms, it's terrorism, but we don't like to apply that word to conventional warfare because nobody wants to be called a terrorist. It's as old as war itself. It not only cows your enemy today, it also gives potential enemies pause. 

Putin's invasion goes very poorly. The muddy season has weeks to go, if I'm not mistaken. He's excersing any option no matter how extreme or brutal because he finds himself in the desperate position he hoped to put Ukraine in. Those missiles that hit government buildings and dormitories were not errant artillery shells. Even the maternity hospital bombing fits the Russian mold from Syria.

I have to think that Putin thought this would be over before anyone could do much about it. It's a tar baby that won't be easily put to bed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Horn Dog said:

Again, you are stating the very opposite of  IVibes.   It makes absolutely no sense to say you agree with him, that the admin is shortsighted and imposing sanctions for "brownie points" whatever that means, and then say we needed to impose MORE and QUICKER sanctions to protect the US dollar.

tex48 already made known his intentions with the strawman chewbacca attack on the CR

logic is not required

libs pwned

• Hook 'Em 5

30 minutes ago, F250 said:

Dude, everyone knows the Water Bottle is an NFT. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Goredho said:

You are a dumb cunt.  If other nation states are worried about US capriciousness and our abdication of responsibility as a world leader, its not because we are imposing financial consequences on Russia and its oligarchs for Putin's shitty Hitler impersonation in the Ukraine.  Its because your fucking orange orangoutang floated the idea of the US leaving NATO, abruptly withdrew the US from international treaties like the Paris Climate Accord, wantonly initiated a trade war with the world's second largest economy, showed acceptance and even admiration for dictators and war mongers like Putin and otherwise largely alienated the US from the western democracies that have been our allies in peace and prosperity for the last 75 years.

Strong circle back to but Trump. I have not framed any of this in partisan terms. Some of the things you listed were mistakes by Trump, some not necessarily. 

Anyway, this is the last I’ll share on the financial front for a while. Here’s another signpost. 

• Fuck You 3

6 hours ago, Tex48 said:

I think you need to realize no one in the CR understands how the USD functions as a reserve currency or why this matters. I agree with everything you are saying and think you are right.  I work in crude oil trading and as soon as all of these things happened we knew there would be ramifications like this that the general public does not understand. I think this was a very short sighted move by the current admin for brownie points and we will see the ramifications for years to come. 

For the those of you who are about to neg me, your dollar is going to lose value over time as a direct result of this and you should care.  

So, from the inside you can't explain it and from the outside you can't understand it?

Go back to Texags.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tex48 said:

I think it was short sighted bc it took too much time. I'm pissed we didn't go straight for the jugular to start with and ban russian crude domestically tbh even if our allies didn't follow.  We also let the Italians and other countries cut deals with Russian commodities such as aluminum before we pushed through sanctions. We let Putin's semi-state owned enterprises make money before we pushed through sanction that actually mattered.  At the end of the day, the oligarchs and Putin still got paid and I believe we cost ourselves and focused on the wrong things. 

Link?