Cold War Classics

MissingInAction

2 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

In light of recent events I feel it's time to revisit some cold War classics.

Red Dawn and Rocky 4 of course.

For comedy we have Stripes and Spies like Us. Red Heat also comes to mind.

Any others I'm sure I'm missing?

I was thinking of that scene today when Arnold meets Belushi and he explains where he's from in the USSR because Jim doesn't really get it's satellite countries comprising one big nation.  And Belushi's reply is, "Oh yeah, Kiev?  As in 'Chicken Kiev'.  Yeah, we had that at my sister's wedding."  And our knowledge of Russian/Eastern European geopolitics hasn't really increased much beyond that.  

-also- Pos rep for the little known "Ipcress File", possibly Michael Caine's first movie?  Excellent little film that reminds me of course of a much more widely-known Cold War classic, "The Manchurian Candidate."  With all the brainwashing in both.  

But I think of our popcorn Cold War flicks as kids in the 1980's.  I can never prove it, but I think Reagan had a hand in some of it given his decades long ties to Hollywood.  Even crap films like "Ruskies" and "Little Nikita" were horribly written, but tugged all the right heartstrings with American families like mine, as the Cold War reached its end.  Reagan would be puking in his grave right now though.

Edited by Lobo

This scared the hell out of kids in the early 80s.  It is impossible to convey to other generations, but we grew up thinking nuclear war was going to happen

I remember the night they aired this and afterwards there was a follow up roundtable of anchors/talking heads discussing what we had seen.

6 hours ago, mdleast said:

I remember the night they aired this and afterwards there was a follow up roundtable of anchors/talking heads discussing what we had seen.

I was in middle school in MN. We were required to watch it as part of our government class. The bus ride to school the next day was so eerie and quiet.