Texas vs Texas State, midweek series thread, March 8th & 9th

TrashMaster G

Oh god dammit @LTtxfan is here doing his worrying thing like he did all basketball season. Stop. If Todd is out for the year then Campbell will play right and either put it together or Stehly will be out there while Kash or Schuessler or O’Dowd or maybe even Campbell if he just needs to focus on hitting will DH. If Messinger keeps sucking at the plate and being just average in the field, same deal. One of those dudes will take over the 3rd spot. We have depth for days. We have arms for days. Everything’s cool dude. Sit back, relax and enjoy what’s going to be a legendary season 

Edited by Fletch

34 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Was there some "development" on Witt since Sunday? Or are we guessing he's hurt fairly seriously?  I guess I haven't been paying attention.

32 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Yeah, what is all this about Witt maybe not returning? I thought he was just a little sore? 

All the official word is just soreness, nothing structural. 

So, naturally, the Surly Intellengencia have him in season-ending surgery before the week is up.

2 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

So, naturally, the Surly Intellengencia have him in season-ending surgery before the week is up.

I have already gone through the five stages of grief about Witt's demise several times this evening.

Pulled out a win in a loud environment with multiple setbacks and coming off our first loss. Faltine is right, these guys are tough. Same thing as last year; we may put ourselves in shitty situations, but when it comes down to it this team doesn’t blink.

That’s what’s going to make us so dangerous down the stretch.

• Hook 'Em 2

Yall act like our bullpen was nails early on last year. Witt had some shitty outings early in the season before he calmed his ass down a notch. Let these guys throw a bunch in March. Keep them throwing in April.  Come May and June they'll be that much better when we need them. 

• Hook 'Em 8

7 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Yall act like our bullpen was nails early on last year. Witt had some shitty outings early in the season before he calmed his ass down a notch. Let these guys throw a bunch in March. Keep them throwing in April.  Come May and June they'll be that much better when we need them. 

Yeah the season started slow last year. But when you start 11-0 people start expecting excellence every game.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, NorthLoop said:

It’s pretty absurd. We’ve always started off semi slow under Pierce as he plays around with what he’s got, see who can do what then by conference play has a set lineup, rotation and a shortened bullpen with specific roles. Only difference is this year we’re so fucking good we’re winning games we would’ve lost from 2017-2021. We’re figuring out who’s gonna be what this year while winning in every way possible. It’s awesome and it’s going to pay off big time come conference play and June, like it has every year Pierce has been here except 2019

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, SomeoneYouKnow2 said:

I mentioned in one of the game threads this weekend that I really do like the early season strategy of letting these pitchers get themselves out of these jams. I'm glad Pierce left in Duplantier even through the next inning instead of yanking him in after the GS. These games pale in importance to the conference / late season games, so getting that experience in now will be great.

What thing I noticed which is minor but speaks to his character. When Dre got the last out of that 6 run 3rd which was a pop up to Silas, he walked over and grabbed Ardoin’s mask. Don’t know why I noticed it but that shit matters to me at least.

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

Yeah, these younger or more inexperienced guys seem to be able to make a lot of progress over a season.  I'm a little concerned about Duplantier, though.

3 hours ago, SomeoneYouKnow2 said:

At what point is the complete inability of all of our relief pitchers to throw strikes indicative of the coaching they're getting?

Ahhhh that’s right. How could I forget this gem from earlier in the game. Yeah dude you’re a fucking idiot

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Well yeah, he's a pitcher.  They're all ticking time bombs.

8 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I hear the Texas State fans were chanting over-rated at us all night. Is that true?

A good sign, We got that shit all season in 2005 and who was over-rated at the end eh?

They chanted that in Corpus too but that ended pretty quick...

54 minutes ago, texifornia said:

These home-and-homes with in-state programs are a great idea. In general this year's tour of Texas has been a lot of fun - Corpus, Houston, Huntsville, San Marcos. Let's do UTEP next year.

Don’t forget Edinburg later this season. 

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

These home-and-homes with in-state programs are a great idea. In general this year's tour of Texas has been a lot of fun - Corpus, Houston, Huntsville, San Marcos. Let's do UTEP next year.

I think we'd have to go back in time to play UTEP in baseball. Or did they resurrect the program?

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Probably should have looked that up, shouldn't I

Yeah, stupid fuck. Be better. 

(I totally forgot they didn’t have a baseball program too haha) wish they did. Having a 3 game set in El Paso would be awesome for all of us 

7EB5D0A7-6814-4038-8E01-A3FC5C2291E5.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Who the fuck is pitching for us tonight? Cobb only threw 2/3’s of an inning last night. Wouldn’t mind seeing Stewart.  Who else we got? 

38 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Eckhardt probably. 

Looks like Eckhardt is correct.

I hear the Texas State fans were chanting over-rated at us all night. Is that true?
A good sign, We got that shit all season in 2005 and who was over-rated at the end eh?
They were chanting Aaron's girlfriend's name in the 9th. Apprenty got in his head. Reliable source.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk