Elite private schools and college admissions

Sawbonz

11 hours ago, millhouse said:

University of Oregon does not have engineering. If you want PNW and do engineering, Udub or even SeattleU would probably be better options. There are probably a few schools in Portland that have engineering if Oregon is really where they want to be.

UDub though you need to apply directly into the engineering school.  If you don’t get in as a fresh a,n, it’s pretty tough to transfer in.  That’s what we’re looking at.  He got into UDub, but not engineering 

On 4/4/2022 at 11:34 AM, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

I've just been on a bunch of college visits with the youngest and UT's was the worst I've experienced for either kid. I left thinking damn the 'We're UT' attitude permeates everything. I guess when you have so few slots after the in state mandatory takes you can do that.

The best college visit production I've been to is UT Dallas.

My wife and daughter said the same thing after their visit at UT.  They talked with the host who did the tour and found out she was attending Texas St and working at UT doing campus tours.  They did tours with my sister-in-law and nephew, including B10 schools Indiana (wife's school), Purdue & Michigan, and said out of all the schools Texas Tech did the best job of selling their school, lol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Do all the whores still go to the Arizona schools or are they getting waitlisted/rejected?

ASU is still the place to be. They have >50k students on-campus and >50k students online so they aren't too picky.

Edited by SimonBolivar

I’ve had three relatives go to TCU. All three of their mom’s rave about their experience with TCU. I know all three grads have been extremely successful after graduation. Zero issues going to to 5 grad schools. One is 6 years younger than me and semi retired. 

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

I’ve had three relatives go to TCU. All three of their mom’s rave about their experience with TCU. I know all three grads have been extremely successful after graduation. Zero issues going to to 5 grad schools. One is 6 years younger than me and semi retired. 

To be fair 6 years younger than you is close to retirement age anyway

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The last few years of test optional admissions has changed the game and applications were way up at most of the top 50/100 schools. I am sure some will go back to requiring it.

My oldest is a senior and was auto admit to UT. But his first choice was Miami and he got in. They had 50k applications. He is thrilled.

On 4/4/2022 at 12:34 PM, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

I've just been on a bunch of college visits with the youngest and UT's was the worst I've experienced for either kid. I left thinking damn the 'We're UT' attitude permeates everything. I guess when you have so few slots after the in state mandatory takes you can do that.

The best college visit production I've been to is UT Dallas.

same experince here.  Currently taking my Junior around the state for the past couple of months.  UT-D, Texas a&m, ttech, all great visits, great department presentations and interactions. 

My Alma mater UT however...."if you're not under 6%, don't feel bad when you don't get in.  If you do get in, don't feel bad that you ended up with a major you didn't want.  Also don't bother trying to transfer in either...Here's a taco for your time"

• Hook 'Em 1

Just got news from my daughter at UCSB that everyone gets instate tuition for summer school.  I'm obviously thrilled, but is that normal?  I told her she should work at Ralph's for 9 months of the year, only go to summer school and graduate at 30.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, freyguy said:

same experince here.  Currently taking my Junior around the state for the past couple of months.  UT-D, Texas a&m, ttech, all great visits, great department presentations and interactions. 

My Alma mater UT however...."if you're not under 6%, don't feel bad when you don't get in.  If you do get in, don't feel bad that you ended up with a major you didn't want.  Also don't bother trying to transfer in either...Here's a taco for your time"

Yeah, left thinking this is not the place I attended in the late 80's/early 90's... I wouldn't want to go here and my kids sure as hell didn't want to.

14 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Yeah, left thinking this is not the place I attended in the late 80's/early 90's... I wouldn't want to go here and my kids sure as hell didn't want to.

We took two students beside our kid, all accepted, and all three of them were umm no thanks.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

5 hours ago, Victorious1 said:

My wife and daughter said the same thing after their visit at UT.  They talked with the host who did the tour and found out she was attending Texas St and working at UT doing campus tours.  They did tours with my sister-in-law and nephew, including B10 schools Indiana (wife's school), Purdue & Michigan, and said out of all the schools Texas Tech did the best job of selling their school, lol.

My kid is accepting her spot in the Purdue Honors college over UT.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Not a cat said:

Just got news from my daughter at UCSB that everyone gets instate tuition for summer school.  I'm obviously thrilled, but is that normal?  I told her she should work at Ralph's for 9 months of the year, only go to summer school and graduate at 30.

To be clear: if I could live in Santa Barbara, I would 100% be on the lifetime college plan.

• Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

To be clear: if I could live in Santa Barbara, I would 100% be on the lifetime college plan.

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Well yeah, 100% employment rate for grads.  McDonalds is always hiring! 

Shocking, I know, but apparently true:

"Texas Tech graduates are among the most sought after in the country, according to the Corporate Recruiter College Graduate Ranking Poll, a nationwide survey of 334 corporate business recruiters. Texas Tech ranked ninth overall and first in the state of Texas.
https://collegeguide.texasmonthly.com/texas-tech-university/

The handful of Tech grads I know are fucking grinders.  Every one of 'em in sales/biz dev/rainmaking and all of 'em get after it.  I could see that.  

Also, to everybody remotely associated with Santa Barbara........fuck you.  I'm jealous and petty. 

2 hours ago, Not a cat said:

Just saw that UCSB had 130K applications.  Just a couple of years ago UCLA set the all-time record at 110,000.  Every UC, now that there are no testing requirements, received record numbers of apps, by a factor of 2 or 3.

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

The handful of Tech grads I know are fucking grinders.  Every one of 'em in sales/biz dev/rainmaking and all of 'em get after it.  I could see that.  

Also, to everybody remotely associated with Santa Barbara........fuck you.  I'm jealous and petty. 

and if you're in their Engineering program, they require you to do some form of a study abroad...they didn't have that when I was at UT 😭

13 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Just saw that UCSB had 130K applications.  Just a couple of years ago UCLA set the all-time record at 110,000.  Every UC, now that there are no testing requirements, received record numbers of apps, by a factor of 2 or 3.

Well, FWIW, the supplemental essay questions at UCLA were fucking brutal. After watching the LSU game Boy 2 considered throwing a lottery ticket at UCLA. He took one look at the app “Fuck that, I’ll visit the Rose Bowl when Oregon is there”.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, freyguy said:

and if you're in their Engineering program, they require you to do some form of a study abroad...they didn't have that when I was at UT 😭

I was dubious, so I dug deeper:

Key findings of the survey include:

• Texas Tech ranks in the top 10 (#9) among corporate recruiters nationwide as the school with the best-trained, educated, and able to succeed once hired graduates.

• More than 9 in 10 recruiters say Texas Tech does an excellent job preparing students for the workforce. When asked directly, 8 in 10 recruiters say the school does an even better job compared to other universities.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/5/2022 at 8:50 AM, CooterBrown said:

My kid is the same.   She will most likely major in an engineering discipline. Her lowest 9-week average ever is a 98 and is in all advanced and pre-AP as a freshman so I think as a woman in STEM, with good grades, and a lot of non-school related leadership activities, she'll have a better selection of schools than most. My only requirement is that she needs to go somewhere I want to go visit. In September we will go check out School of Mines, CU, and CSU.  We will also check out Oregon, Washington, UBC and Univ of Victoria BC next summer.  We will also go check out a few stretch schools like Cornell (our former neighbor is in the engineering admissions there). 

My daughter finishes up her master's at Mines this summer, after finishing her undergrad there in 2020.  She got a PhD-level fellowship to pay for the MSME.  

Everyone in our family could not be happier with her experience there.  Plus, Golden is awesome to visit.

• Like 3

On 4/4/2022 at 12:34 PM, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

I've just been on a bunch of college visits with the youngest and UT's was the worst I've experienced for either kid.

Ours was Rice.  I don't know what the second-worst was, but whatever it was, it was light-years ahead of Rice.  A couple of tour guides who weren't bright, an engineering school presentation where they couldn't figure out how to work the projector, and an admissions rep who told a room full of students and parents: "Because of our flexible curriculum, if you're not good at math for example, you don't have to take math classes to graduate."  It was literally all I could do to not stand up and scream at that moron.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I wouldn't want to go here and my kids sure as hell didn't want to.

3 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

We took two students beside our kid, all accepted, and all three of them were umm no thanks.

49 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Ours was Rice.  I don't know what the second-worst was, but whatever it was, it was light-years ahead of Rice. 

Jesus.  This is depressing af. 

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

I can attest to this - Most of the young people we have are Tech grads (Software Sales and Biz Dev) - They are doing very well. When I ask them why they chose Tech since most of them graduated from the big city high schools like Highland Park, Memorial, Westlake - they said ... didn't get into UT.. no way was going to aTm so Tech it was.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Satchel said:

"Texas Tech graduates are among the most sought after in the country, according to the Corporate Recruiter College Graduate Ranking Poll, a nationwide survey of 334 corporate business recruiters. Texas Tech ranked ninth overall and first in the state of Texas.

It’s fun to rag on tech but we had 8 4.0s in my med school class and 3 were from tech. 

4 hours ago, Satchel said:

And what exactly is the “Corporate Recruiter College Ranking Poll”? Google it and you don’t find out much about it except for the fact that Tech is on it. Seems to be a poll done by Whitman Insights, for whatever that is worth. I definitely don’t assume any truth to it based on being touted by the University on the internet.

2 hours ago, Satchel said:

• Texas Tech ranks in the top 10 (#9) among corporate recruiters nationwide as the school with the best-trained, educated, and able to succeed once hired graduates.

• More than 9 in 10 recruiters say Texas Tech does an excellent job preparing students for the workforce. When asked directly, 8 in 10 recruiters say the school does an even better job compared to other universities.

If you're gonna drop large coin on college, make damn sure where you're going creates marketable, and highly, sought after graduates.

Why go to an expensive school if you’re just going into biz dev? Shoot, don’t even need a degree to do that

You need that paper so the recruiter in your first job will at least move your resume to the “maybe not an idiot” stack instead of it going straight in the trash.

After that it doesn’t matter much.
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Rice and UT have so many applicants, we put money/effort into campus visit program 

Dirty secret: much like UVA, Rice is acquiring a bit of a reputation for all hat, no cattle on the eastern seaboard. 

I mentioned it earlier, our worst tour was Occidental: they booked June tours, despite the fact campus was hard closed.  The asst. admissions officer was obnoxiously condescending, the tour guide got lost multiple times and spoke about how a class mate had killed themselves in context of the schools mental health, and every flower bed was an overgrown weed garden (little things matter/attention to detail).  I will say, architecturally, it’s very interesting. 

Best: Davidson. The AO gave us a detailed breakdown of what they wanted/looked at in honest terms, tour guide did the entire tour walking backwards like a fucking gymnast. 

5 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I’ve met many more unsuccessful rice grads than I have successful 

I've only met a couple but one got a PhD from Notre Dame and is now a teanured Great Texts prof and the other played football there and got a kickass job in Seattle. I've always liked Rice.

3 hours ago, Satchel said:

I used to recruit for my old job, and Tech puts the most effort into the whole affair. Texas was the nicest, classiest, etc, but Tech really did more for their students than a lot of other places. For instance, OU was a joke. 

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Ours was Rice.  I don't know what the second-worst was, but whatever it was, it was light-years ahead of Rice.  A couple of tour guides who weren't bright, an engineering school presentation where they couldn't figure out how to work the projector, and an admissions rep who told a room full of students and parents: "Because of our flexible curriculum, if you're not good at math for example, you don't have to take math classes to graduate."  It was literally all I could do to not stand up and scream at that moron.  

My daughter was in love with Rice up until she started seriously looking at colleges.  Their webinars were crap, the on campus visit was crap, and she finally didn't bother scheduling an interview.  By far the worst school experience she had.  UT was pretty good, not top notch, but good for a state school.

2 hours ago, po elvis said:

And what exactly is the “Corporate Recruiter College Ranking Poll”? Google it and you don’t find out much about it except for the fact that Tech is on it. Seems to be a poll done by Whitman Insights, for whatever that is worth. I definitely don’t assume any truth to it based on being touted by the University on the internet.

Well, it’s not USN&WR.

4 hours ago, TexasBeta said:

I can attest to this - Most of the young people we have are Tech grads (Software Sales and Biz Dev) - They are doing very well. When I ask them why they chose Tech since most of them graduated from the big city high schools like Highland Park, Memorial, Westlake - they said ... didn't get into UT.. no way was going to aTm so Tech it was.

Two of mine took that path, both recent Tech graduates who had jobs lined up prior to the start of their last semester there, and both killing it right now in sales fields.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2022 at 8:30 AM, South Austin said:

My sophomore daughter is dead set on going to school outside of Texas, and out of the South for that matter.  She gives me the whole "but I'll probably come back to Texas for grad school" bit, but I think it's just to make her old man feel better about her moving away.  If she goes someplace like the Pacific Northwest or the Northeast, like she's been talking about, I'm not counting on her coming back here, especially if our politics continues getting more and more fucked up.

Both of mine will leave the state and most likely the south (unless UNC works out) and probably not come back which I’m good with. Maybe it has always been that way, but a lot of the graduating classes from their school end up in the northeast in school.

She and her mom got together and decided to meet with a college coach. Her high school has 3 college advisors for a class of about 70 which seems like plenty to me, but I guess this is a new phenomenon that has been added to the mix. Hopefully, it’s not the Aunt Becky version that requires me to write a massive check to gain admittance.

Have “elite private schools” kept up with the growth of the American population? From when I was at UT (1990), the US population is >30% larger now. Somehow I doubt top level schools have kept up with that enrollment growth.

I also assume that foreign students take up a larger percent of the students in many colleges, and colleges love that higher international money.

The winner of overcrowding must be the next tier(s) schools that don’t mind growing as much as possible like A&M.

52 minutes ago, Brew said:

Both of mine will leave the state and most likely the south (unless UNC works out) and probably not come back which I’m good with. Maybe it has always been that way, but a lot of the graduating classes from their school end up in the northeast in school.

She and her mom got together and decided to meet with a college coach. Her high school has 3 college advisors for a class of about 70 which seems like plenty to me, but I guess this is a new phenomenon that has been added to the mix. Hopefully, it’s not the Aunt Becky version that requires me to write a massive check to gain admittance.

My wife has a side gig where she helps kids with figuring out the best/realistic schools for them, setting expectations for the family and helps them polish their essays.  She doesn't advertise and only uses word of mouth.  She has to turn away work.  

Of course she doesn't charge enough imo but there are times of the year where she's bombarded with parents wanting help. 

These are mostly upper middle class families from good schools too.  She started doing it so she could help kids and families from underprivileged schools but so far there have been just a couple. 

• Hook 'Em 1