2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

21 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

NSIAP but this just further demonstrates how to build a real franchise and not just moneywhip everyone with an unlimited payroll like those pussy ass bitches in New York, right @Helobious?

Always fun to remember that, on paper, the Astros are probably the most "rootable" team in the entire league.  Largely home-grown and full of guys who have worked hard to outperform initial low expectations.  Alas... 

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I haven’t had a drop of alcohol during the WS. I think I drank 4 of the first 7 games of the playoffs. 
should I pour a glass of scotch to coincide with first pitch today or nah? 

Doesn’t seem to be any correlation to wins and losses, so I’d ask if you feel like it has any impact. If you do, then no. If you don’t, then drink.

TLDR it don’t make a shit. Fuck Philly! Time to finally shove JV.

Offseason wish list:  Re-sign JV.  Trade Luis Garcia or Urquidy, preferrably Garcia, for position of need and/or prospects.  Acquire lefty reliever, CF, 1B, C.  Or, let Yainer Diaz and Pedro Leon test their skills in the show and then move at the deadline.  Bring Maldy back?  Bring Yuli back?  

2 hours ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

I don’t think a guy has gone from screw that guy to love that guy for me like Christian Vazquez. He was so despondent when he got traded but he’s always first guy over the rail to celebrate, gives 100 percent when he’s name is penciled in and has been a good Astro. I think I understand his mood when he got traded because he’s a ride or die guy for his team and couldn’t imagine trading uniforms. Even though he hasn’t made a huge impact day in day out, it was still a great trade for the piece of mind and stability behind the plate. He totally changed my mind about him.

I never disliked Vasquez in the douchebag sort of way, it just seemed like he was always getting timely hits and making plays when we played Boston.  Pesky, if you will…. When he came over, just my personal feeling was, “Great Now that dude can stop killing us” at least with respect to if he had gone NYY or Dodgers or whatever.

Totally empathize with his being upset at not being the everyday starter.  Gamers want to be in the game.  I love what he has brought this team in energy and clubhouse presence.  That may or may not have been an opportunity for an ugly transition, and to my knowledge, it never remotely got close to that.  For all the shit we give Dusty, that’s a huge achievement with both Mancini and CV, meshing with the existing culture.

I did yell at the TV last night when one of the announcers said Houston fans we’re clamoring for CV because of the lack of offense from Mandy.   Ain’t nobody  with 20+ baseball IQ ignoring what Machete brings to the game night in, and night out.  I’m really, really, really glad both guys are Astros!!!

Edited by slorch

2 hours ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

I don’t think a guy has gone from screw that guy to love that guy for me like Christian Vazquez. He was so despondent when he got traded but he’s always first guy over the rail to celebrate, gives 100 percent when he’s name is penciled in and has been a good Astro. I think I understand his mood when he got traded because he’s a ride or die guy for his team and couldn’t imagine trading uniforms. Even though he hasn’t made a huge impact day in day out, it was still a great trade for the piece of mind and stability behind the plate. He totally changed my mind about him.

Agree but I really couldn't hold it against him for reacting the way he did considering he found out literally seconds before they stuck a camera in his face that he'd been traded. If he'd had a few minutes to get adjusted I bet it would have gone differently, and I didn't think it was terrible even under those circumstances with Berman bulldogging a little bit 

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Offseason wish list:  Re-sign JV.  Trade Luis Garcia or Urquidy, preferrably Garcia, for position of need and/or prospects.  Acquire lefty reliever, CF, 1B, C.  Or, let Yainer Diaz and Pedro Leon test their skills in the show and then move at the deadline.  Bring Maldy back?  Bring Yuli back?  

I’ll tell you Saturday night as we celebrate our second WS title.

• Hook 'Em 1

Still want to see Astros bats really come to life tonight. 

This has been a really strange matchup to watch -- just can't believe how terrible a lot of the Astros hitters are approaching their at bats.  Just a bunch of shit early swings that result in outs.

Watched last night, but stayed off Surly.  Will probably do same tonight.

GO STRO's !!!

This series is two plays from being a mostly Astros asskicking but everyone seems to have forgotten how both those went Philly's way...if JV gloves that liner OR Altuve's hit falls into rf in front of Castellanos, this is a 3-1 series and Philly is on the brink of elimination.

• Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Everyone can wish all they want but if it goes 7 I guarantee LMJ goes becaise dusty is a by the book manager. My hope is he start ls Javier on 3 days rest with Urquidy coming in first but I doubt it.

I wouldn't touch McCullers in G7, but I have a hard time believing Dusty would give the ball to anyone else.  Given that, I would essentially have Urquidy warm up like he is the starter and have him stay warm throughout.  He gets brought in at the first sign of trouble and then you go to Javier once Urquidy needs a break.  (Let Luis and Hunter be your inning eaters over the next two games, if needed.)  Get this thing to the 6th and then let your normal dudes do their thing.

(This a lot of brainpower being wasted on a series that is ending in six.)

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

This is how the pitching staff should have been worked after JV blew up and game 3 rained out

G1: Verlander
G2: Valdez
G3: Javier
G4: Urquidy
G5: Valdez
G6: Garcia
G7: Javier

Stupid hindsight fan bullshit.  LMJ 100% still gets a start, G3 or G4 IDMAS.  And you absolutely give the Cy Young favorite and HoFer the ball again, even after a stumble.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Gourmand said:

That catcher looks like the terrified version of I'M THE CAPTAIN NOW

11 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Got damn. Gettin' a little dusty up in here for some reason...

How can you not be romantic about baseball?

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

Helo and others screaming that last night wasn't a true no-hitter might be technically correct, but it strikes me as just not wanting to give Javier, Abreu, Montero or Pressly any credit. Probably also dissed Secretariat for never winning a race without a jockey. 

Yeah, it's a no hitter, no matter what those fucktards tell you. Did the Phillies get a hit? Oh, that's right...

I mean... I understand that everyone's a bit apprehensive about JV getting the ball after his last start and all of the World Series history there, but let's not forget that the Phillies are rolling out Noah Synderdgaard, who has barely been league average this year for ERA and WHIP.  The Phillies can't possibly feel good about that matchup.  They know that they got a bit lucky against JV on Friday, and luck tends to even out in this game.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

100% this.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

$1.  I think some concessions are open.

was there last night.  $1 entry, most of the concessions from home plate down the third base line to the st arnold's bar were open - just a couple of the stands out in the concourse weren't.  on field tour is $10, sit in the insperity club for a $40 lexus LX raffle ticket (comes with hot dogs, popcorn, and cokes)

• Hook 'Em 1