2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, Gourmand said:

Sunday morning confession: Still ecstatic over the big win but I have a lot of guilt to work through as well. I feel like a shitty fan because I had to work yesterday and was not able to watch the game at all but was checking in on gamecast and listening to the Ford/Sparks pbp when I could. I kept thinking about my old high school/UT friends watching the game and texting me and I was thinking about you guys in this thread. When it went to extras I started to think it wasn't our day, especially those times I'd steal a look at my phone and see mid12th/B14th/mid15th/ etc and assume we were about to get walked off. I was lucky enough to actually see the Pena HR but not the bottom half of the inning that followed until I saw the congratulatory hugs of Garcia on the mound.

Holy fucking shit. EIGHTEEN GODDAMN SHUTOUT INNINGS?!?!?! Y'all must have been suffering some roller coaster emotions with every third out of every half inning. Playoff baseball just thumps the heart differently and when it goes to extras for that long, the prospect of being on the losing side of it makes the heart race a little faster. It's like watching a horror flick with a hand over your face, peeking through your fingers waiting for the inevitable to happen. 

I fuckin love this team and love you guys in this thread who've been here holding it down all year. 

No, man, everyone was totally calm and rational on the thread.  Ok, maybe some people said to put in Hensley for Altuve or whatever. 

It wasn't too bad, actually.  Maybe people were tired out after the Texas game.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

With the Dodgers getting bounced by the Padres, do the Astros have homefield advantage in the World Series provided they make it?

Yes

and means we’re one step closer to MMP being double booked if there is a game 6.

I hope someone was smart enough to write in the Elton John contract that he has to move/postpone in the event of a World Series game on Nov 4.

I worry that was all set up before the season was delayed with thinking World Series would be wrapped up well before that.

Just now, UTexasFight said:

Yes

and means we’re one step closer to MMP being double booked if there is a game 6.

I hope someone was smart enough to write in the Elton John contract that he has to move/postpone in the event of a World Series game on Nov 4.

I worry that was all set up before the season was delayed with thinking World Series would be wrapped up well before that.

Obligatory:

YARN | We want Elton! | The IT Crowd (2006) - S01E05 The ...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mez2 said:

So we watched the game in Sugar Land with a bunch of my wife's friends who are all Astros fans last night and wife ends up getting pretty tipsy throughout the evening, see the ending and hang around a bit before heading back into town and stop at Sassafrass for a night cap. Listening to the post game show on 790 my wife decides she wants to call the station and give her boys a shout out. After about 15 mins on being on hold, in the parking lot at Sassafras,  she finally gets on with MC and Gordy, and during the conversation ends up dropping a "Big Booty Yuli", says JP3 now has "BDE", with a emphasis on "you know what the D stands for!", gives Stanek a random shout out for his hair, and finally tries to make a reference between Kanye's "Golddigger" and the "18 years..." part and the 18 innings before they mercifully cut her off the radio. Hilarious coming from my wife.

End up watching end of SD-LA game, finally made it home, had sex. Great day 5/5 stars, would recommend again. 

I heard that call, I was laughing 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, ScottS said:

Quick search of baseball almanac shows 3 other 18 inning shutouts and nothing longer.

July 16th, 1909, Washington Senators at Detroit Tigers play to a 0-0 tie in 18 innings. Ed Summers throws all 18 inning for Detroit.

May 5th, 1918 - Chicago White Sox at Washington Senators:  Walter Johnson throws 18 inning of shutout baseball as the Senators beat the White Sox 1-0.  Lefty Williams throws 17.1 inning for the White Sox.

July 2nd, 1933 - St. Louis Cardinals at New York Giants:  Carl Hubbell throws 18 inning of shoutout baseball as the Giants win 1-0 over the Cardinals.

Baseball almanac also mentions a game in 1883 involving the Providence team that was an 18 inning shutout but has no box score for the game.

Wow. I thought for sure that there would be no single pitcher 18 inning shutouts, even back in those days.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, runthebone said:

No, man, everyone was totally calm and rational on the thread.  Ok, maybe some people said to put in Hensley for Altuve or whatever. 

It wasn't too bad, actually.  Maybe people were tired out after the Texas game.

Yep.  We started this one with already frayed nerves.  Definitely the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.  

• Hook 'Em 2

I didn't realize until I read the box score late last night that Garcia went all Clemens 2005 by pitching five shutout innings with two hits, no walks, and six strikeouts. I remember a few weeks ago some of y'all were talking mild shit on him by questioning whether he should be on the playoff roster or not and what his role would potentially be and I remember drafting a long response that I never posted that sung his praises for his playoff experience and particularly his work in game 6 of the ALCS last year.

Holy fuckin heroball. What a badass performance from him.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

I was pretty confident they would eventually pull it out because i knew Seattle was going to run out of pitchers before the Astros did. That Robbie Ray signing, ooofff.  5 years for 115 million and a full no trade clause and he loses 2 playoff games for you.

Depending on how M's fans treat him after this series, I could see him eventually waiving the no-trade. 

55 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I didn't realize until I read the box score late last night that Garcia went all Clemens 2005 by pitching five shutout innings with two hits, no walks, and six strikeouts. I remember a few weeks ago some of y'all were talking mild shit on him by questioning whether he should be on the playoff roster or not and what his role would potentially be and I remember drafting a long response that I never posted that sung his praises for his playoff experience and particularly his work in game 6 of the ALCS last year.

Holy fuckin heroball. What a badass performance from him.

I've not been Garcia's biggest fan, as he seems prone to untimely HRs. (Not saying their are timely ones for a pitcher to surrender, mind you.) I was quite surprised at how effective he was last night. Good on him. 

50 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

My god what a bunch of fucking crybaby hypocrites.

Tbf to the Ms I think this tweet is more than a little misleading as it is a screenshot of the video they posted after that play happened that was posted by a Blue Jays fan. 

Mea culpa on my part. 

Still, the butthurt reaction to the Astros tweet is beyond the pale.

https://www.mlb.com/news/longest-games-in-baseball-history-c275773542

4 (Tie). April 15, 1968: Houston Astros 1, New York Mets 0
Length: 24 innings

The Mets, it seems, have a penchant for playing in historically long games. Six years before they played 25 innings in Flushing, they played 24 against the Astros in Houston. Incredibly, the game was scoreless until the bottom of the 24th, the longest any Major League game has ever stayed scoreless.

The six-hour, six-minute contest at the Astrodome began with Hall of Famer Tom Seaver on the mound for the Mets and Don Wilson for the Astros. Both starters were at the top of their game. Wilson went nine scoreless and allowed only five hits. Seaver, who was in his second MLB season and a year away from leading the Miracle Mets to the 1969 World Series title, threw 10 shutout innings and allowed just two hits. Tom Terrific retired 25 straight batters between the bottom of the second and the bottom of the 10th.

As the teams marched on, they eventually set the record to that point for the longest night game in history, a note posted to the Astrodome scoreboard -- along with some lighthearted messages to the fans who stuck it out. In the 20th inning, the scoreboard read: "We hope you are enjoying tonight's third game as much as you enjoyed the first two."

The game was finally decided when, with the bases loaded and one out in the bottom of the 24th inning, Houston's Bob Aspromonte hit a routine ground ball to short. It could have been an inning-ending double play to send the game to the 25th. But it skidded off the Astroturf and through shortstop Al Weis' legs, allowing the game's lone, walk-off run to score.

"I just plain blew it," Weis said after the game.

On this day in 1968, the Astros beat Mets, 1-0, in 24 innings in the Astrodome. Norm Miller scored the winning run at 1:37 a.m. "Everybody's got to be known for something, right," he told me in 2015. The Astros used only five pitchers.

https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/1250480057744789506/photo/1

Edited by Make em eat Taco Bell

I don’t follow baseball nearly as closely as a lot of you, but I’m curious if this is being discussed on the national level:

With all the upsets at the divisional round, is anyone second-guessing the best-of-five division format?   That is:  162 games is a reeeeally long season just to establish seeding, and just splitting the first two home games (which happens all the time in sports) makes upsets highly possible.  Shouldn’t a team that wins 105 or 110 games be harder to unseat (i e get a best-of-seven)?

I say this as a fan with no love for the Dodgers or Yankees, but also one who remembers Robert Reid hitting a mid-range jumper in game three of the “mini series” that not only ended the season for the defending champion Lakers, but also immediately ended the very idea of a playoff “mini series.”  

To me, the whole reason for 162 games is to reward the deepest teams, and best-of-five greatly subtracts from that reward.  

21 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

I don’t follow baseball nearly as closely as a lot of you, but I’m curious if this is being discussed on the national level:

With all the upsets at the divisional round, is anyone second-guessing the best-of-five division format?   That is:  162 games is a reeeeally long season just to establish seeding, and just splitting the first two home games (which happens all the time in sports) makes upsets highly possible.  Shouldn’t a team that wins 105 or 110 games be harder to unseat (i e get a best-of-seven)?

I say this as a fan with no love for the Dodgers or Yankees, but also one who remembers Robert Reid hitting a mid-range jumper in game three of the “mini series” that not only ended the season for the defending champion Lakers, but also immediately ended the very idea of a playoff “mini series.”  

To me, the whole reason for 162 games is to reward the deepest teams, and best-of-five greatly subtracts from that reward.  

Ken Rosenthal dug into this. His conclusion: too soon to answer. 

36 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

going back to when the Astros locked a top 2 spot : dusty talked about reaching out to several ex players on how to keep the pitching staff sharp during the break. he went into detail about the break and the pitching staff several times. at the time, he felt hitting could also slip, and wanted a plan there too. I think the staff nailed the pitching prep, the hitting prep needs to be fine tuned. he talked about defense too, he felt defense should never slip, all season, all playoffs. no excuse for not being ready in the field. 

5 hours ago, kevwun said:

I was pretty confident they would eventually pull it out because i knew Seattle was going to run out of pitchers before the Astros did. That Robbie Ray signing, ooofff.  5 years for 115 million and a full no trade clause and he loses 2 playoff games for you.

he didn’t give up the bomb it was murfee yeah?

42 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

You’re right in the last paragraph about the reason for 162 games, but it’s irrelevant to the playoffs at this point. If they prioritized truly measuring which team was best, they’d go back to 2 divisions and an LCS only format for the playoffs (I’d say World Series only like in the real old days, but there’s just too many teams now for that to really be fair, especially with unbalanced scheduling).

With that large a sample size, you really shouldn’t have 6 playoff teams to begin with. But the playoffs aren’t about the good of the sport, they’re about money. I wonder how upsets impact that-that’s where it will matter.

• Hook 'Em 1

I really like what I saw from Garcia yesterday. I'm more inclined to think Urquidy is the better pitcher, I believe he has two wins in the World Series, but Luis should always have a place in the Astros' rotation. He can deal, he's 25, and he's under team control through 2026. 

The Stros have some good options to piggyback in the ALCS. Garcia, Urquidy, and Hunter Brown can all give you 4-5 scoreless innings. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yes

I have tickets to Elton.

Remove all the off days in the playoff series. MLB plays most of their season without days off including travel. That is how you help a team that has 2 or 3 really good pitchers vs. a team that has 6+ good pitchers. It would mean more teams would have to use 4- or 5-man rotations in the playoffs just like the regular season.

• Hook 'Em 1