2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

11 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

here is how you can sum up the pitching we witnessed by our guys today.

Cal Raleigh got to third base in the 2nd inning on a flyout for the 2nd out.

No Mariner got past 2nd for the next 16 innings.

I wonder what the record is for the longest combined shutout.

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Thing is nobody did any thing spectacular pitching wise. LMJ went 6 on 88 pitches. Garcia went 5 on about 70 pitches. They are starters no big deal. Hunter Brown went 2 innings but he’s been groomed for that. Then the other 5 relievers each pitched 1 inning. If we’d needed to we still could have probably squeezed another coupe innings out of Garcia, 6 for Urquidy and 6 for Javier on normal rest. Think about that- we just played a game that went 18 innings and we had another 10 or 12 innings, easily in the tank, that wouldn’t even have been asking anyone to do anything outside their comfort zone or on short rest. 
That’s mind boggling if You think about it. 

I don’t know what your definition of spectacular is, Wulaw, but my definition of spectacular would include 18 innings of shutout baseball.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Intercourse With Gray said:

Do we want CLE or NYY? We completely own the Yankees in the playoffs recently. IDK about CLE

Always the Yankees.

To quote Conan the Barbarian, our goal should be “ To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.”

The Astros have been very proficient at achieving that goal.

So much sweeter when we break the Yankees fans’ spirit every year.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Shit like the NL this week gives me all the more appreciation for what our franchise has done the past 6 years.

been the higher seed every time in the LDS round (non-Covid year) but to hold serve in this format is pretty special.

Yes, but just this weekend also.  Look at the dead bodies all around...( Braves, Dodgers) and a Yankees team on the ropes.

Pitching. Pitching. Pitching.  It covers up a shit-ton of deficiencies- like going 17 innings without a fucking run..

Edited by slorch

6 hours ago, Victor Lazlo said:

I don’t know what your definition of spectacular is, Wulaw, but my definition of spectacular would include 18 innings of shutout baseball.

Collectively?  Yeah they were spectacular. I was talking about the individual components involved. It wasn’t meant to downplay the team accomplishment. It was meant to call attention to just how amazingly deep and good this pitching staff is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I know they won a lot of games, but I was never sold on the dodgers pitching in the playoffs

their pitching talent is amazing

their problem is, as always, Dave Roberts meddling

6 hours ago, Intercourse With Gray said:

Do we want CLE or NYY? We completely own the Yankees in the playoffs recently. IDK about CLE

it don't make a shit

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/6/2022 at 11:02 AM, Wulaw Horn said:

Now is my time to post my annual rant about how much I hate the playoffs. Baseball is a game where quality is measured over 162 games and turns on small advantages adding up to be important over the course of 6 months. Then, we scrap all that and play best 3 out of 5 to determine a first round winner and then ascribe great importance to what, viewed rationally, is random chance. 

I know we are a lot better than the Mariners. We played the same schedule as them and finished almost 20 games better than them. We beat the shit out of them coming out of the all star break and pissed all over their cute little winning streak.  Then, when they rebounded to gain games on us again in the next week while we were doing something stupid like getting swept by the A’s, they came to MMP and we forcibly sodomized them in a series you could literally see them waive the white flag for the season.  

So- I know we are better than them.  No doubt. If we play them in the playoffs in best 3 out of 5 we will be something like a 60/40 or 65/35 favorite to get past them in all the analytic stuff. It’s just absolutely brutal, the playoffs. 

This makes what we’ve done in the playoffs so remarkable in going to the ALCS 6 years in a row or whatever it it. There’s so much randomness. But we’ve never been hit by it. Every year I fear this year will be the year it happens, and then it doesn’t.  If shit goes according to form there is no doubt the Astros are the best team in the AL. 

So, this is what makes 6 straight ALCS so amazing. Anything can happen in 5 games when a good baseball team (or even a shitty one) plays a great baseball team. 
the Padres and Phillies just beat teams that were in their division, that owned them, that they finished like 12-22 games higher than. The Astros swept their version of younger brother. In a series where they needed an incredible comeback, a mild but stressful comeback, and 18 innings to win. 
But win we did while they lost. 
Incredible that it’s happened 6 in a row. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, wood said:

I wonder what the record is for the longest combined shutout.

Quick search of baseball almanac shows 3 other 18 inning shutouts and nothing longer.

July 16th, 1909, Washington Senators at Detroit Tigers play to a 0-0 tie in 18 innings. Ed Summers throws all 18 inning for Detroit.

May 5th, 1918 - Chicago White Sox at Washington Senators:  Walter Johnson throws 18 inning of shutout baseball as the Senators beat the White Sox 1-0.  Lefty Williams throws 17.1 inning for the White Sox.

July 2nd, 1933 - St. Louis Cardinals at New York Giants:  Carl Hubbell throws 18 inning of shoutout baseball as the Giants win 1-0 over the Cardinals.

Baseball almanac also mentions a game in 1883 involving the Providence team that was an 18 inning shutout but has no box score for the game.

Edited by ScottS
ou sucks
  • Hook 'Em 2

I was pretty confident they would eventually pull it out because i knew Seattle was going to run out of pitchers before the Astros did. That Robbie Ray signing, ooofff.  5 years for 115 million and a full no trade clause and he loses 2 playoff games for you.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So, this is what makes 6 straight ALCS so amazing. Anything can happen in 5 games when a good baseball team (or even a shitty one) plays a great baseball team. 
the Padres and Phillies just beat teams that were in their division, that owned them, that they finished like 12-22 games higher than. The Astros swept their version of younger brother. In a series where they needed an incredible comeback, a mild but stressful comeback, and 18 innings to win. 
But win we did while they lost. 
Incredible that it’s happened 6 in a row. 

Much like the pitchers in last game, you can say any given ALDS was not spectacular but taken as a whole is pretty incredible.

• Like 1