Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

Just think: there exists a non-zero probability that, as early as the season after next, we will be in a conference that

1. pays us $40M or more extra per year in TV money than we would have here

2. forced aggy to vote to take us after clem swore we'd never be allowed

3. does not have a pool of officials conditioned to penalize us 14-0 against our conference mates

4. does not include Baylor or any Houston-metro schools infamous for their crappy stadium/bleachers (B/CS isn't metro, is it?)

5. will retain the OU game and not make us use an OOC date for it

6. already has its bogeymen well established

7. will never feature ISU in the CCG

8. will never require us to play in Manhattan, KS or the state of West Virginia

9. like the rest of NCAA, now lets us actually spend in the open rather than surrender to money bags, and 

10. Was not cooked up by DD in a toxic stew of Texas politician interference in an otherwise already doomed marriage of convenience to the dying schools of yesterday's midwest.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

Just think: there exists a non-zero probability that, as early as the season after next, we will be in a conference that

1. pays us $40M or more extra per year in TV money than we would have here

2. forced aggy to vote to take us after clem swore we'd never be allowed

3. does not have a pool of officials conditioned to penalize us 14-0 against our conference mates

4. does not include Baylor or any Houston-metro schools infamous for their crappy stadium/bleachers (B/CS isn't metro, is it?)

5. will retain the OU game and not make us use an OOC date for it

6. already has its bogeymen well established

7. will never feature ISU in the CCG

8. will never require us to play in Manhattan, KS or the state of West Virginia

9. like the rest of NCAA, now lets us actually spend in the open rather than surrender to money bags, and 

10. Was not cooked up by DD in a toxic stew of Texas politician interference in an otherwise already doomed marriage of convenience to the dying schools of yesterday's midwest.

Well we will have to play in the state of Arkansas, Starkville, MS, Gainvesville, FL and Tuscaloosa, Alabama.  Your point in #8 is?

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, bullet said:

Well we will have to play in the state of Arkansas, Starkville, MS, Gainvesville, FL and Tuscaloosa, Alabama.  Your point in #8 is?

the point is we wont have to play in fucking manhjattan ks or the state of west virginia. whats so fucking hard to understand you ASVAB waiver?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gidnik said:

the point is we wont have to play in fucking manhjattan ks or the state of west virginia. whats so fucking hard to understand you ASVAB waiver?

The point is every conference has shitty destinations you won't like, at least until we get to the endgame of the biggest 16-32 schools breaking away from the rest of the sport and forming their own league.  But I'm happy to trade the Pac 12's undesirable locations for the B1G's undesirable locations because the B1G has more peer programs and more places I want to go than the Pac 12 does, and it seems like a similar situation for Texas fans comparing Big 12 visits to SEC visits.

Washington is the only Pac 12 destination I'll miss whereas I'm very excited to go to games at Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Minnesota, Nebraska and Iowa.  That more than offsets the clunkers at Rutgers and Maryland and Indiana and Purdue (Notre Dame is enough Indiana for me).  Trading the one place I like in the Pac 12, which USC only visited once every four years anyways, for 9 places I want to see USC play is a huge upgrade.  Even then, I'll like the shitty visits in the B1G more than the Pac 12.  Indiana won't circle their visit from USC on the day the schedules come out and spend the entire offseason planning for that game and treat it like their Super Bowl the way Oregon State and Washington State and Arizona and the rest of the Pac 12 does.  Ohio State and Michigan and Penn State get the brunt of that boogeyman bullshit in the B1G, which will be a nice change.

9 minutes ago, Trojan Man said:

The point is every conference has shitty destinations you won't like, at least until we get to the endgame of the biggest 16-32 schools breaking away from the rest of the sport and forming their own league.  But I'm happy to trade the Pac 12's undesirable locations for the B1G's undesirable locations because the B1G has more peer programs and more places I want to go than the Pac 12 does, and it seems like a similar situation for Texas fans comparing Big 12 visits to SEC visits.

Washington is the only Pac 12 destination I'll miss whereas I'm very excited to go to games at Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Minnesota, Nebraska and Iowa.  That more than offsets the clunkers at Rutgers and Maryland and Indiana and Purdue (Notre Dame is enough Indiana for me).  Trading the one place I like in the Pac 12, which USC only visited once every four years anyways, for 9 places I want to see USC play is a huge upgrade.  Even then, I'll like the shitty visits in the B1G more than the Pac 12.  Indiana won't circle their visit from USC on the day the schedules come out and spend the entire offseason planning for that game and treat it like their Super Bowl the way Oregon State and Washington State and Arizona and the rest of the Pac 12 does.  Ohio State and Michigan and Penn State get the brunt of that boogeyman bullshit in the B1G, which will be a nice change.

Look,  it’s a good move to a much better conference.  Kudos.  But a trip to State College will never be more enjoyable than a trip to the Bay Area, Eugene, ,Boulder or Phoenix.  Ok game day atmospheres will likely be better but if you’re gonna make a weekend of it, the pac has great locales

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Look,  it’s a good move to a much better conference.  Kudos.  But a trip to State College will never be more enjoyable than a trip to the Bay Area, Eugene, ,Boulder or Phoenix.  Ok game day atmospheres will likely be better but if you’re gonna make a weekend of it, the pac has great locales

Familiarity plays a part.  If I never go to Phoenix again in my life I won't mind.  The place is a soulless furnace that shouldn't exist and the games are either in the scorching sun or the middle of the night.  Also a lot of these trips get scheduled for Thursday or Friday night games and those are a lot harder to attend, plus weeknight games usually have smaller crowds.  It feels like half the time USC plays at Colorado or Cal it's a weekday.  Outside of week 1 and Black Friday the B1G doesn't really do that bush league shit.  I have enough reasons besides Cal/Stanford road games to go to the Bay Area so no loss there.  Likewise, novelty also plays a part.  I'm sure some of those B1G places I'm excited to visit will be one and done after I experience them firsthand.

I probably weight gameday experience higher than most others.  Most Pac 12 stadiums have a meh gameday environment.  Some of them like Oregon State and Washington State are in 30K stadiums (plus Corvallis and Pullman are also in the middle of nowhere and not fun to visit).  Fucking ridiculous for a blueblood to regularly visit rinky dink, far flung stadiums like that.  I think every B1G stadium except Northwestern is at least 50K capacity and they have Chicago going for them to offset that, plus they're about to build a new state of the art stadium.  Boulder is cool and all but the games themselves suck because other than one fluke year Colorado has been dogshit their entire time in the Pac 12.  If they were winning 7-9 games most years instead of 0-3 games playing them would be a lot more attractive.  Oregon has a good gameday atmosphere but Eugene itself is nothing special.

1 hour ago, Trojan Man said:

In my 34 years of life thus far, Columbus, Ohio is in the running for the worst city I've ever been to. Truly nothing redeeming about the place. And holy shit to the stuff they call "good eating".

I respect your want of college football royalty. I feel like Texas and USC have been in a very similar position the last 10 years with the little guys sucking our programs dry, then bitching to high heaven when we said enough is enough. But more excited to visit Minneapolis and Iowa City over Salt Lake City or Boulder is interesting. Both cities are cold AF with a lot of white people that think bland food is good. And have really weird accents. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

In my 34 years of life thus far, Columbus, Ohio is in the running for the worst city I've ever been to. Truly nothing redeeming about the place. And holy shit to the stuff they call "good eating".

I respect your want of college football royalty. I feel like Texas and USC have been in a very similar position the last 10 years with the little guys sucking our programs dry, then bitching to high heaven when we said enough is enough. But more excited to visit Minneapolis and Iowa City over Salt Lake City or Boulder is interesting. Both cities are cold AF with a lot of white people that think bland food is good. And have really weird accents. 

Anyone who wants a trip somewhere warm and diverse isn't going to Boulder or Salt Lake City.  I don't mind the cold.  I left California a long time ago.  I live in a part of the country that's about to get fucked up by snow and ice and negative temperatures.  I want to go to Minnesota because they have a cool stadium, it seems like a fun city where I can find things to do and I'm a big baseball and hockey fan so if I can also fit in a Twins game or a Wild game I'd be happy.  As for Iowa that might be a one and done I mentioned in my last post, but it seems like an electric atmosphere plus the contrast in style with how Iowa plays and how USC plays will be a lot of fun.  Columbus doesn't seem like a great destination but they have a NHL team and blueblood vs blueblood will always be a good time.  That's my biggest complaint with playing in the Pac 12, no other bluebloods to play against or to help fund the conference or keep the conference from favoring the freeloaders too much.  Another reason I'm more excited for these new B1G locales than the old Pac 12 destinations is because in the B1G USC will actually be valued and appreciated by conference mates for the first time ever.  The rest of the Pac 12 has always fucking hated USC's guts and the decision to leave poured fuel on that fire.  I'm looking forward to ending these unhealthy relationships.

I wish the stars had aligned in a way to bring Texas and USC into the same conference.  The two have a lot in common, both the good and the bad.  Those two plus Oklahoma are the only bluebloods west of the Mississippi and it's unfortunate they couldn't all run their own western conference together as opposed to joining eastern conferences where they'll always be outsiders.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, Trojan Man said:

Anyone who wants a trip somewhere warm and diverse isn't going to Boulder or Salt Lake City.  I don't mind the cold.  I left California a long time ago.  I live in a part of the country that's about to get fucked up by snow and ice and negative temperatures.  I want to go to Minnesota because they have a cool stadium, it seems like a fun city where I can find things to do and I'm a big baseball and hockey fan so if I can also fit in a Twins game or a Wild game I'd be happy.  As for Iowa that might be a one and done I mentioned in my last post, but it seems like an electric atmosphere plus the contrast in style with how Iowa plays and how USC plays will be a lot of fun.  Columbus doesn't seem like a great destination but they have a NHL team and blueblood vs blueblood will always be a good time.  That's my biggest complaint with playing in the Pac 12, no other bluebloods to play against or to help fund the conference or keep the conference from favoring the freeloaders too much.  Another reason I'm more excited for these new B1G locales than the old Pac 12 destinations is because in the B1G USC will actually be valued and appreciated by conference mates for the first time ever.  The rest of the Pac 12 has always fucking hated USC's guts and the decision to leave poured fuel on that fire.  I'm looking forward to ending these unhealthy relationships.

I wish the stars had aligned in a way to bring Texas and USC into the same conference.  The two have a lot in common, both the good and the bad.  Those two plus Oklahoma are the only bluebloods west of the Mississippi and it's unfortunate they couldn't all run their own western conference together as opposed to joining eastern conferences where they'll always be outsiders.

We resonate with the bold above heavily. It'll be so nice to be aligned with like minded institutions. Not pip-squeaks that will do just about anything to keep you down or sabotage you. 

• Hook 'Em 3

13 hours ago, bullet said:

So, you’ve never been a game in Fayetteville or Tuscaloosa, I see. Both of those places and experiences are above every single road game in the current Big 12. 

9 hours ago, Trojan Man said:

Okay, guy. There is nothing nice or interesting about East Lansing. Columbus, “the Austin of Ohio”, is a fucking bummer and home to the worst fans in the country, and that includes having been to multiple games against your idiot fanbase, the okies, and the aggies. Let us know how awesome getting to State College is once you’ve done it. I’ve never been to Iowa City and I’m hoping to keep it that way. Anyone pining to visit there over literally any destination in the Pac 12 needs to be fitted into a straight jacket. The list goes on. Your destinations argument is completely absurd. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So, you’ve never been a game in Fayetteville or Tuscaloosa, I see. Both of those places and experiences are above every single road game in the current Big 12. 

I’ll give you Tuscaloosa. 

The Fayetteville experience, however, involves far more projectiles and cars mysteriously affected to pedestrians than I prefer. 

8 hours ago, Trojan Man said:

Yes. I agree with you that our programs are very similar.  Am I excited about the game day atmospheres in the respective sec schools?  Sure. But outside of maybe Athens or Nashville, I’m getting out of dodge the moment I sober up post game.  Great to be a part of a conference where football is a priority for everyone but give me Palo Alto over East lansing any month of the year, much less November.  Boulder over almost every big ten locale for me as well

Edited by closetohumping

On 12/16/2022 at 11:45 AM, Gidnik said:

This kind of post illustrates the contemporary life of the modern sports journalist. You are practically a Sports Information Director who isn't getting paid by the people you're publishing information for. In this case he's floating the notion that the Big12 is open to the idea of 2023-24 being the only year of 14 schools. Sports Illustrated just did the same thing. The SEC and OUT are leaking the idea of an early departure in order to create pressure on the Big12 that is inevitable an they should go along with it. The life of most sports journalists is now spent floating information that the actual SID doesn't want to publish himself.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Okay, guy. There is nothing nice or interesting about East Lansing. Columbus, “the Austin of Ohio”, is a fucking bummer and home to the worst fans in the country, and that includes having been to multiple games against your idiot fanbase, the okies, and the aggies. Let us know how awesome getting to State College is once you’ve done it. I’ve never been to Iowa City and I’m hoping to keep it that way. Anyone pining to visit there over literally any destination in the Pac 12 needs to be fitted into a straight jacket. The list goes on. Your destinations argument is completely absurd. 

My ex wife was an Iowa Alum. Let’s just say a game there doesn’t need to be on anyones bucket list. 

2 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I’ll give you Tuscaloosa. 

The Fayetteville experience, however, involves far more projectiles and cars mysteriously affected to pedestrians than I prefer. 

This is a trope espoused by the olds. It's not the 70's any more. I went to last year's game and was welcomed to numerous tailgates ahead of time and we sat in a predominantly Arky section during the game. My wife got tipsy and spilled some nachos on the poor bastard's shoes standing next to her. We never dealt with any kind of hostilities. Fayetteville and that part of Arkansas are actually kind of pretty, too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is a trope espoused by the olds. It's not the 70's any more. I went to last year's game and was welcomed to numerous tailgates ahead of time and we sat in a predominantly Arky section during the game. My wife got tipsy and spilled some nachos on the poor bastard's shoes standing next to her. We never dealt with any kind of hostilities. Fayetteville and that part of Arkansas are actually kind of pretty, too.

Yes, yes, 2004 is “the olds.”

Maybe they were just pissed about the way the game ended. 

I went to last years game and had beer bottles thrown at me and my life threatened walking back to the hotel. Fuck that place, I’ll never be going back.

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Please allow me to translate CTJ to GIF:

Billy Madison Shut Up GIF

• Haha 1

My sister moved to NWA 20 years ago and it sucked. A lot has changed and I enjoy the area now. Attended a game there a few years ago when they played Tulsa, everyone was nice enough, sort of lame atmosphere I thought for all the SEC hype, and it was close for most of the game. 

Edited by 'stache

8 hours ago, USMCHorn said:

I can vouch that the Bentonville-Fayetteville area is beautiful. The Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art is a pleasant experience, and I recommend anyone in the area for a bit of time to visit.

I second this.

Bentonville is nice and that is a world class museum in a beautiful setting next to the cesspool that is Fayetteville.

fayettville sucks, starksville sucks, oxford is meh, lexington sucks, collie station - we all know that shithole, fuck that shithole norman.

Nashville is cool, never been to tuscaloosa. outside of chewacla state park, auburn alabama mind as well be waco and don't forget you are still in the fucking shithole state of alabama,

never been to gainesville, never been to columbia missouri

columbia south carolina is actually decent as long as you can get past the confederate statues and don't let the daughters of the confederacy handing out pamphlets bother you.

did i miss any schools?

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 3

11 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Dude, let’s not start giving those fuckers credit for shit. I’ve tailgated with them (some of their rare employed olds); they were very hospitable. That part of the country is pretty, if you don’t mind chicken coops and chicken shit.

Fact is, we’re still their most hated rival, regardless of how well an affluent minority of them treated us at games. It’s still not a place I want to find myself out of gas on the side of the road. They are the Sooners of the Ozarks, and I hope they remain in the cellar until a plague wipes them from the earth. 

Fuck pig, respectfully. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

For some chuckles, or arguments, or whatever...

2026590798_MVCFB.jpg.67cc68d0737668ad77f216b6561498d3.jpg

They used the revenue generated from football along with conference revenues reported to Equity in Athletics for Title IX purposes, which captures public and private.   It is not total revenue and doesn't include things like boosters, etc.  Clearly there are some things "off" but what I found interesting with this one, they do them yearly, was it showed the impact of the pandemic years.   Some schools did well, some did not.  In the not camp you can see Ohio State's loss of $63m in the 2021 Fiscal Year.

34 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

For some chuckles, or arguments, or whatever...

2026590798_MVCFB.jpg.67cc68d0737668ad77f216b6561498d3.jpg

They used the revenue generated from football along with conference revenues reported to Equity in Athletics for Title IX purposes, which captures public and private.   It is not total revenue and doesn't include things like boosters, etc.  Clearly there are some things "off" but what I found interesting with this one, they do them yearly, was it showed the impact of the pandemic years.   Some schools did well, some did not.  In the not camp you can see Ohio State's loss of $63m in the 2021 Fiscal Year.

Top 8 checks out, but after that it gets goofy.  Utah is not top 10.  We’re not more valuable than Ohio State, Clemson, or Iowa.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Top 8 checks out, but after that it gets goofy.  Utah is not top 10.  We’re not more valuable than Ohio State, Clemson, or Iowa.

Well, in those metrics in those years, it is.   What you're seeing is the effect of which teams played during the pandemic and who is paying for not playing.   

Haven't been following the thread, so apologies if this is a dumb question.

Do we know yet whether we'll play against our typical Big 12 opponents next year or if we might play against any of the newcomers?
Specifically, I'm wondering whether it's possible we might play against UCF.

https://fbschedules.com/2023-texas-football-schedule/

image.png.7cee9e3a1da3cc2aeedc7d8a0c26c581.png

There is speculation we will travel to Houston and BYU and OU will go to Cincinnati and UCF. So we would drop 2 existing Big 12 opponents. If I had to guess, those would be an old Big 12 North opponent like Kansas State and Kansas since we traveled to both this year. Does them a favor by not having them travel to Austin. OU will probably drop two opponents they played at home this season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

There is speculation we will travel to Houston and BYU and OU will go to Cincinnati and UCF. So we would drop 2 existing Big 12 opponents. If I had to guess, those would be an old Big 12 North opponent like Kansas State and Kansas since we traveled to both this year. Does them a favor by not having them travel to Austin. OU will probably drop two opponents they played at home this season. 

If we are playing at Houston and at BYU, the dropped games would presumably be Texas away games (WVU, Iowa St, TCU, Baylor), unless (1) they are going full scorched earth and having Texas play 2 home games and 6 away games or (2) they are going to have one of the teams play at Texas two years in a row.

21 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

If we are playing at Houston and at BYU, the dropped games would presumably be Texas away games (WVU, Iowa St, TCU, Baylor), unless (1) they are going full scorched earth and having Texas play 2 home games and 6 away games or (2) they are going to have one of the teams play at Texas two years in a row.

Agreed with this who would we help sell out the most? I am guessing Iowa state and Baylor? Need the most help so we end up dropping TCU and WVU. 

17 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

I'm thinking we'll get UCF and Cincinnati in Austin. That way all 4 new teams get a kiss. There was speculation before that Texas and OU would have to play a few Big 12 teams in the OOC in 2024 to keep the Fox deal whole. Maybe some switch to away games for that. 

Coug High will be a de facto home game. 

I want no part of Provo. They’ll dig up a 28 year old QB/RB with two surgically repaired knees, and he’ll run it down our throats all night. 

“At” Houston, at UCF or Cincy, and let’s get the hell out of here. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1