2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

closetojumping

Bobby:

Texas continues its pursuit of Arkansas safety transfer Jalen Catalon.

[Get Inside Texas Plus until the start of the 2023 season for $29.99!]

Catalon visited Texas A&M yesterday and is expected to head to Purdue either late today or tomorrow before officially visiting Texas on Sunday.

Texas continues to monitor the portal for other safety prospects, one of which is Oklahoma State transfer Thomas Harper.

The Horns are also looking at a pair of safeties from G5 schools.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

4 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

I laughed, but you have 2021 Ovie seared into your brain.  He went from “a corpse might work better” to actually doing what he was coached to do this season. 

Except that crucial 3rd and long against OSU where he lost his mind chasing a RB screen all the way across the field (that was already recognized and completely blown up by players that had that responsibility) when his assignment was the QB which opened up a massive lane for a 20 yard run/conversion.  Probably worst defensive bust of the season.  

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Probably worst defensive bust of the season.  

Sorrell on Bama’s long TD run, coverage bust on QJ touchdown for TCU, coverage bust against Xavier Hutchinson on ISU’s last drive (had he caught the ball anyway), and what feels like a couple different moments against OSU.

At least they happened seldom enough to remember individual moments?

Ovie was fine this year. Definition of a JAG but at least he was better than 2021 and was mostly solid against the run. Nothing bad to say as he leaves, but happy to open up some more opportunities for these 22-23 guys.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Sorrell on Bama’s long TD run, coverage bust on QJ touchdown for TCU, coverage bust against Xavier Hutchinson on ISU’s last drive (had he caught the ball anyway), and what feels like a couple different moments against OSU.

At least they happened seldom enough to remember individual moments?

Ovie was fine this year. Definition of a JAG but at least he was better than 2021 and was mostly solid against the run. Nothing bad to say as he leaves, but happy to open up some more opportunities for these 22-23 guys.

Watts whiffing on Bryce Young. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 5

15 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Definition of a JAG but at least he was better than 2021 and was mostly solid against the run.

He was better against the run early in the year, but he got completely exposed against Baylor and UW. Those might have been his worst games of the season. I’m glad he’s not back for another year. Give the young guys the reps and develop them. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Bobby:

Texas continues its pursuit of Arkansas safety transfer Jalen Catalon.

[Get Inside Texas Plus until the start of the 2023 season for $29.99!]

Catalon visited Texas A&M yesterday and is expected to head to Purdue either late today or tomorrow before officially visiting Texas on Sunday.

Texas continues to monitor the portal for other safety prospects, one of which is Oklahoma State transfer Thomas Harper.

The Horns are also looking at a pair of safeties from G5 schools.

BUT I WANT ADARI HAULCY, GODDAMMIT!

Books Sticker for iOS & Android | GIPHY

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, futureman said:

Watts whiffing on Bryce Young. 

Don't know that I'd call that a bust because he obviously understood the assignment, but yeah, that was a gut punch.

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

He was better against the run early in the year, but he got completely exposed against Baylor and UW. Those might have been his worst games of the season. I’m glad he’s not back for another year. Give the young guys the reps and develop them. 

Agreed. Thought he was out of eligibility and wasn't fretting over it.

12 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Wasn't that a Jaylan Ford misread?

That's not how I remember it, but I am not going to go dig up the video or anything so I am open to being corrected. From what I remember, Sorrell inexplicably worked inside on an off tackle run and left a wide open lane, whereas if he kept contain the RB would have been forced to cut back into the DL or Ford for a nothingburger. Whoever made the gaffe, it was painfully obvious Alabama was housing that right when it happened at the line. Could see it from the upper deck.

21 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Don't know that I'd call that a bust because he obviously understood the assignment, but yeah, that was a gut punch.

Agreed. Thought he was out of eligibility and wasn't fretting over it.

That's not how I remember it, but I am not going to go dig up the video or anything so I am open to being corrected. From what I remember, Sorrell inexplicably worked inside on an off tackle run and left a wide open lane, whereas if he kept contain the RB would have been forced to cut back into the DL or Ford for a nothingburger. Whoever made the gaffe, it was painfully obvious Alabama was housing that right when it happened at the line. Could see it from the upper deck.

Correst. Sorrell lost contain on the play. Ford missed the tackle or was late, forgot which one. People are confusing blown assignments (mental errors) for physical mistakes. 

19 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Endlessly circling around the most depressing moments in Texas football history is 1000% my least favorite offseason meme. You people are masochistic.

It's like mixing in a water at the tailgate. Can't get too far gone on the Kool Aid in January.

6 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Burton retweeted the Jordan Burch transfer announcement.  No idea if it means anything, but Bobby typically doesn't amplify news that is irrelevant to Texas.

Is it a coincidence that Ovie Oghoufo also entered the transfer portal? I think not. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

That's not how I remember it, but I am not going to go dig up the video or anything so I am open to being corrected. From what I remember, Sorrell inexplicably worked inside on an off tackle run and left a wide open lane, whereas if he kept contain the RB would have been forced to cut back into the DL

I went back & watched the video. Sorrell did work inside, however, there was containment. There were 2 DBs that forced the run back inside. Jaylan Ford (at MLB) was unblocked and pursing the play laterally down the field. Instead of continuing to slide to the left and filling the hole, he went forward directly into a Bama lineman and got himself blocked. Ponderous. Jaylan had an incredible year but that play was an abortion. Transfer Thread related because we will sign a full compliment of defensive players who flawlessly pursue the football. 

46 minutes ago, pacman said:

username fits :)

Burch and Ovie do not project to the same role in Texas' defense...

Jordan Burch

Possesses a square-shouldered, well-proportioned athletic build with a developed lower body and strong base. Has added substantial weight over his last year of high school and could project inside long-term as a result. Is a multi-sport athlete as a longtime AAU basketball player who is talented enough to play hoops at the college level. Dominates on both sides of the ball for a high school football program that wins a state championship every season in South Carolina’s private school league. A flexible, fluid athlete, Burch has the framework to play multiple spots along the line at the next level both on the edge and inside. He plays with outstanding bend and leverage, with the ability to dip and run the arc off the edge. Has a high level first step and play speed in pursuit. Doubles as a strong, physical run defender and looks to play with a high effort level. Flashes his considerable athleticism as a running back, moving with high level explosiveness and fluidity for a prospect of his size. Though he receives outstanding coaching at Hammond, he rarely if ever sees college-level talent on Friday nights. The competition he faces in South Carolina's private school league is quite poor. He looks to be the next up from South Carolina, a state that annually produces top-ranked defensive linemen. As a result, he is a bit undeveloped with his ability to disengage from blocks relative to other top defensive linemen. Still has a high upside, but may need some time to adjust to the considerable uptick in talent level from his high school to the types of offensive linemen he'll face in the Power Five. Has the potential to develop into an all-league, All-American type player with the upside of a first-round pick.