Old Fashioned Hamburger Stands

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve posted about this place before but visited again last week - If you are ever in the Tulsa area for business/travel, head to the southern suburb of Bixby and go to the downtown area and hit up Johnson’s Stepping Stone Cafe.  Everything is great but their burgers are world-class - they grind the meat daily, flattop-cooked burgers with perfectly toasted buns ($9 for jumbo burger combo)

IMG_0076.thumb.jpeg.6053534d281a992ebf53623ae2c8b3fb.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 4

I’ve posted about this place before but visited again last week - If you are ever in the Tulsa area for business/travel, head to the southern suburb of Bixby and go to the downtown area and hit up Johnson’s Stepping Stone Cafe.  Everything is great but their burgers are world-class - they grind the meat daily, flattop-cooked burgers with perfectly toasted buns ($9 for jumbo burger combo)

I’ve eaten here three times and it’s a near perfect country diner. Had the jalapeño cheeseburger twice but got the legit chicken fried steak once and it was killer. Wife got the on bone fried chicken special the last time and it was fantastic too.
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I’ve eaten here three times and it’s a near perfect country diner. Had the jalapeño cheeseburger twice but got the legit chicken fried steak once and it was killer. Wife got the on bone fried chicken special the last time and it was fantastic too.

Based on this picture and your report, living on Tulsa time might just be a possibility, outside of the fact it's in Oklahoma.

20 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

There is a lot of good food in Oklahoma though not much is good for you. Eischen’s Chicken, Nic’s Grill, Stepping Stone, Rock House . Butcher BBQ stand in Wellston is really good too.

avoid billy simms bbq

Edited by tx 3 putt

On 11/14/2023 at 10:28 AM, MalibuSheriff said:

On 11/14/2023 at 12:44 PM, UTPhil2006 said:

Okra looks great too

Fried okra is so superior to french fries as a burger side.  Fucking big potato

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

On 11/15/2023 at 4:06 PM, pch said:

Based on this picture and your report, living on Tulsa time might just be a possibility, outside of the fact it's in Oklahoma.

It's an oddity for sure.  Plenty of Tulsa is Okie to the core, but there are some absolutely beautiful vintage homes there (oil money), and some decent food and even culture.

But yeah, Oklahoma.

• Hook 'Em 1

If you ever have to be in Ada, Oklahoma, Folger’s Drive In has been around since like 1920 and is unbelievable. 

41 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Billy Sims Bbq is the Dickey’s of Oklahoma. It’s truly awful. Rib Crib is bad too.

Truer words have never been spoken 

On 11/17/2023 at 3:03 PM, jimmyjazz said:

It's an oddity for sure.  Plenty of Tulsa is Okie to the core, but there are some absolutely beautiful vintage homes there (oil money), and some decent food and even culture.

But yeah, Oklahoma.

I was in Tulsa last week for a funeral so, you know, close to home. 

• 2 weeks later...

Both of yall can go straight to hell. Gimme a cheeseburger with extra pickles, and some fried okra on the side. And a few pieces of pickled okra, because it’s delicious and would piss yall off.

Este. When I’m the king of the world, my first edict is that greasy burger joints automagically serve a few pickle chips or okrey on the side WITH your fries or onion rings. And Sysco is banished.
  • Hook 'Em 2

It’s a run at both of them, a number of regional chains. as well as Sonic which lives on beverage sales.

McD has robot stores in Ft Worth. It’s the future of fast food in days of mandated fast food $20 minimum wages in blue state markets. I expect they will use some of these as AI labs. No bathroom breaks, no no shows, no whining.

A buddy of mine in California has a daughter who went to an expensive culinary school but had finally moved from the line to a sous position making $15 an hour. The chef makes $19 an hour. She is living at home, and just took a job at In and Out making $22. She wants to save her money, learn the catering biz, and look at being a private chef or movie set/tour show chef. Or see if she can climb the InO ladder. They pay their store managers six figure salaries.

Thats the problem with these targeted mandated minimum wage dictates. It’s why mass merch is killing jobs and going self checkout. Fast food is typically run with teenagers in school; these laws do nothing for folks in other categories. Or it pushes smaller companies to use undocumented labor at low wages with no benefits, putting them into virtual slavery.

I started following this guy’s Instagram account back when I lived in Austin.  He has a BBQ restaurant in Olton, TX.  I was interested in stopping by as it’s not too far of a detour from our old route from Austin to Santa Fe.  Alas, this is way out of the way now, so hoping one of you enterprising Martha Fockers can check it out and provide a report…burgers and CFS on certain days.  BBQ looks pretty solid as well:

Brisket Burgers:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0pg2yHy03E/

CFS:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0ShQkWOfuN/

• Drool 1

21 minutes ago, MalibuSheriff said:

I started following this guy’s Instagram account back when I lived in Austin.  He has a BBQ restaurant in Olton, TX.  I was interested in stopping by as it’s not too far of a detour from our old route from Austin to Santa Fe.  Alas, this is way out of the way now, so hoping one of you enterprising Martha Fockers can check it out and provide a report…burgers and CFS on certain days.  BBQ looks pretty solid as well:

Brisket Burgers:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0pg2yHy03E/

CFS:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0ShQkWOfuN/

Those pics make me think it is worth a stop on the way to NM.  That double meat brisket burger reminds me of the one served here in FW at Panther City BBQ.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2023 at 3:03 PM, jimmyjazz said:

But yeah, Oklahoma.

there's a bar in Tulsa, can't remember the name.   the bartender keeps quarters in the freezer.   you ask and she will pull out a boob, suck on a nipple, and pickup a cold quarter off the bar top with.  all I got.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MontereyMXmuthafucka said:

there's a bar in Tulsa, can't remember the name.   the bartender keeps quarters in the freezer.   you ask and she will pull out a boob, suck on a nipple, and pickup a cold quarter off the bar top with.  all I got.

Pictures of the bartender-asking for a friend.

• Haha 1

Add in Chicken shit bingo and a great bar burger and sounds like a perfect place.