January 6th Committee Hearings Thread of Dominance

Longhorn_Fan68

5 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

I don’t get it… shouldn’t the carrier / service provider have this data? Can’t they just subpoena ATT for everything they need?

If it's SMS text messages, sure. If it's wickr or signal and end to end encrypted with self destructing messages, not so much

49 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

I don’t get it… shouldn’t the carrier / service provider have this data? Can’t they just subpoena ATT for everything they need?

I'm not sure what the latest is, but historically, carriers only keep a very small quantity of texts, going back a very short time, weeks or months.  Litigants have been stymied by that for years.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Party_Taco said:

They don’t keep texts for all that long probably so they’re not wasting company resources producing texts for subpoenas all the time. 

11 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

In my experience subpoenaing carriers, they will have logs of messages sent and received which would include the number of other party, date/time, and size of message. Will not have the actual contents of the message.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

What about the NSA? 

Of course they have it available in that major data center in Utah. But think of the shit storm that would generate if they came out with the texts from a supposedly secure platform like signal/telegram/etc (completely valid though). 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm not sure what the latest is, but historically, carriers only keep a very small quantity of texts, going back a very short time, weeks or months.  Litigants have been stymied by that for years.

Correct. They keep a record that a text was sent or received. But the actual substance is stored for like 30 days or less. 

4 hours ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Of course they have it available in that major data center in Utah. But think of the shit storm that would generate if they came out with the texts from a supposedly secure platform like signal/telegram/etc (completely valid though). 

Investigating an attempted coup certainly appears to be a proper reason to use the data passively collected by our intelligence community. There was (and is) a clear and present danger. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Investigating an attempted coup certainly appears to be a proper reason to use the data passively collected by our intelligence community. There was (and is) a clear and present danger. 

I don't disagree at all. But will uncover the ability our government has to view everything that is done online, even behind encryption. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

I don't disagree at all. But will uncover the ability our government has to view everything that is done online, even behind encryption. 

Maybe we should ask GCHQ. 

Not sure if that better or worse. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Any one of the Five Eyes will suffice. 

9F9A0113-79B4-4BCA-B55E-BDB96EFFCCD0.jpeg.d72ae2ccfdb6548095c102d7e23101e8.jpeg

I'd kind of like to think that their data-gathering is so voluminous that it's like getting 100 bankers boxes of documents in litigation.

Ain't nobody got time to dig for yours or my text messages or browser history.  They'll only comb it for what's an urgent need.

• Hook 'Em 1

The Five Eyes arrangement has been around since 1943. It's a well-known secret. 

As for the data, Snowden revealed there are efficient search tools for immediate decision-making situations (think: ticking clock scenarios).

Hell - these are official actions.by public servants. There is no expectation of privacy. The messages should have been saved. This is just a redundant tool to recover them. No need to disclose the source of the backed-up files. Get them to the DOJ and Congressional Oversight Committees. Problem solved. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that that was objectively huge.  It's all relative.  But of course, that's just cases filed in a year, as opposed to the actual pending.

No. It is. My particular jurisdiction is just bananas and exists based on a bunch of weird practices which are currently fading away leaving the entire house of cards in for some serious shit. A Wilco misdemeanor prosecutor, for reference shares about 1,200 cases with TWO other colleagues.
  • Rage+1 1

20 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

IG Cuffari needs to go - now - and the AG must investigate his actions. This is not his first transgression: https://www.pogo.org/letter/2022/04/pogo-calls-on-president-biden-to-remove-dhs-ig-joseph-cuffari

DHS really is a shit show.  All of the pre-existing functions (SS, BP, Immigration) brought under its ambit seem to have gotten worse.

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

DHS really is a shit show.  All of the pre-existing functions (SS, BP, Immigration) brought under its ambit seem to have gotten worse.

“With a battle plan like the Bush administration is proposing, instead of crossing the Delaware River to capture the Hessian soldiers on Christmas Day, George Washington would have stayed on his side of the river and built a bureaucracy.”

- Sen. Robert Byrd, 2002

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:
“With a battle plan like the Bush administration is proposing, instead of crossing the Delaware River to capture the Hessian soldiers on Christmas Day, George Washington would have stayed on his side of the river and built a bureaucracy.”

- Sen. Robert Byrd, 2002

Funny.  But, it really doesn't do anything new, it just consolidated 22 agencies from all over the executive branch into a single department, which makes some sense, as far as that goes.

But, because it was conceived and implemented during a pretty irrational time in our history, it's like it turned all 22, or most of them, into shit.

On reflection, because immigration is the political hot-button, the DHS head is probably appointed mostly on that, when that's a tiny fraction of what it does, and that produces shitty results all around.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

IG Cuffari needs to go - now - and the AG must investigate his actions. This is not his first transgression: https://www.pogo.org/letter/2022/04/pogo-calls-on-president-biden-to-remove-dhs-ig-joseph-cuffari

His “Ph.D” is from what investigators call a “diploma mill.”

The Department of Homeland Security’s inspector general wants you to know he has the credentials to hold accountable a 240,000-person department responsible for keeping the country safe. Until Thursday, Joseph Cuffari’s official government biostated, “Dr. Cuffari earned a Ph.D. in philosophy.” 

That isn’t true.

Cuffari’s PhD from California Coast University is in management, and it was conferred by a school that was unaccredited at the time. In 2004, two years after Cuffari received the degree, the Government Accountability Office prominently featured California Coast University in a report on unaccredited “diploma mills” that required no classroom instruction and issued degrees for low flat fees. 

Despite all this, Cuffari has regularly signed letters to Congress and the head of DHS as “Joseph V. Cuffari, Ph.D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Funny.  But, it really doesn't do anything new, it just consolidated 22 agencies from all over the executive branch into a single department, which makes some sense, as far as that goes.

But, because it was conceived and implemented during a pretty irrational time in our history, it's like it turned all 22, or most of them, into shit.

And it didn’t do anything to solve the fundamental problem of the CIA’s unwillingness to share information with the FBI. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Which, along with bureaucratic bloat, was precisely the objection raised at the time when it was created.

10 hours ago, Satchel said:

His “Ph.D” is from what investigators call a “diploma mill.”

Even George O'Leary and Lena Guerrero think that's skeezy.  (Well, Lena would if she were alive.)

Edited by jimmyjazz

23 hours ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

the shitstorm is not the tradecraft or technology that siphons every electronic comm on the planet, all day, every day, for the past 20ish years......

if they disclose the source of that data the 37% will go bonkers

as of now, the dipshits in this country have completely forgotten about snowden, witness the 50,000 idiots filming themselves committing treason and committing felonies in real time

going to bluffdale to get the data is easy

manufacturing plausible deniability around the acquisition of the data is the hard part

19 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

it's good to see this discussion finally happening up in here

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'd kind of like to think that their data-gathering is so voluminous that it's like getting 100 bankers boxes of documents in litigation.

Ain't nobody got time to dig for yours or my text messages or browser history.  They'll only comb it for what's an urgent need.

don't you even Xkeyscore, bro?

18 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

The Five Eyes arrangement has been around since 1943. It's a well-known secret. 

As for the data, Snowden revealed there are efficient search tools for immediate decision-making situations (think: ticking clock scenarios).

Hell - these are official actions.by public servants. There is no expectation of privacy. The messages should have been saved. This is just a redundant tool to recover them. No need to disclose the source of the backed-up files. Get them to the DOJ and Congressional Oversight Committees. Problem solved. 

1943: there are multiple birthdays, 5 march 46 is the official date

snowden tools: see prior post

expectation of privacy: technically the tools are supposed to be used to ingest comms from *outside* the US.... technically....

So at the very, very least, I feel like this committee is changing the narrative on Trump.

It seems like there has been a shift away from Trump in the past two months since the hearings started. Not necessarily a change in the tones/attitudes that he is all about, but more on the attitude toward the man himself. Seems like he's being tossed out and people are moving on to whatever is next.

Of course, that could change if he announces but for the time being it does seem like a shift.