January 6th Committee Hearings Thread of Dominance

Longhorn_Fan68

54 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

One observation about last night's hearing that was a little bothersome.

A couple of the video depositions and audio clips they showed seemed to cut off abruptly after the "sound bite" they wanted.  I specifically recall a Milley clip and one or two other things.

I'm not sure it's a huge deal, but "deposition clips" like that can be subject to highly selective presentation, missing context or unfavorable testimony immediately preceding or following the clip.  It makes my litigator spidey sense go off a bit.  

I haven't gotten that feeling before from these hearings.

I think the witnesses they have shown have been by and large extremely credible, and I don't think cross-examination would damage their credibility too much.  But, in the event of a criminal trial, their testimony is now "locked in" and could be subject to some hits, mostly in areas of recall and maybe incomplete information, and that is an area of concern.

I don’t think it’s any different than preparing clips for trial. Video deps can be many hours long but the piece for the jury could only be a couple questions and answers. It can feel disjointed but the other option is reading the transcript into the record and that doesn’t make for a captivating presentation 

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

I think we should consider criminal charges against whomever was in charge of audio and video. It's not that hard to mic someone or get the proper mic the proper distance from the speaker in those videos. The lazy camera position seemingly up in a corner of the ceiling is equally bad. The only thing worse was the up-the-nose shot of Schiff. He was likely on his own, but c'mon people, frame the fucking shot.

The content is riveting in spite of the sorry ass job of recording testimony.

I dunno, it's giving me Blair Witch vibes.  Credibility due to shitty camera angles and editing.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Counterpoint: there's alotta evidence for them to get through. They can't spend five minutes showing the whole clip every time they go to the tape.

Certainly true, but we're talking a matter of seconds here. Sometimes that editing is just the result of "winnowing the chaff" and sometimes it's disingenuous as hell.

I have not gotten the feeling that the Committee is at all disingenuous with the witnesses and facts, at all.  But a couple of things last night triggered me a little and made me wonder what else was said.

12 hours ago, horn4life said:

One opportunity lost was at the 180 minute mark, was to tell the American public that Trump had his thumb up his ass for TWO FUCKING SOCCER GAMES!  

Or in American.... an eternity!  I'm a soccer guy, but that would have been a great sound bite, that all can understand.

Or the time it takes to play 1 college football game. Or 1/8th of a MLB game

12 hours ago, horn4life said:

One opportunity lost was at the 180 minute mark, was to tell the American public that Trump had his thumb up his ass for TWO FUCKING SOCCER GAMES!  

Or in American.... an eternity!  I'm a soccer guy, but that would have been a great sound bite, that all can understand.

or 3 quarters of a Big12 Football game.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

On 7/13/2022 at 12:31 PM, TexasEd said:

Trump and his team proactively planned for it to get that bad.  They wanted the riot inside the Capitol.  They wanted Mike Pence whisked away to Andrews AFB. They wanted Congress shutdown and for violence to fall on their political enemies. Trump wanted it to be "wild". He wanted the militias to occupy the Capitol for days, and they planned for it.

All of this to stop the certification of the electoral votes that had already been cast.  It was "Stop counting votes" but with pitchforks and a mob because his legal challenges were thrown aside 1-60.

Not proactively calling the Nat'l Guard was part of the plan because it would have prevented the rest of the plan from going through. So the real question is not should he be accountable for not stopping it, but will he be held accountable for planning it and setting it in motion.

Last night proved this again.  

Here's a real estate analogy that may make it more clear to trump as his supporters.

Trump was losing his property to foreclosure so he created a plan, gathered the supplies and set it on fire to to get the insurance payoff.  Why would he call the fire department when his intent and greatest benefit comes from burning it to the ground?

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

I think we should consider criminal charges against whomever was in charge of audio and video. It's not that hard to mic someone or get the proper mic the proper distance from the speaker in those videos. The lazy camera position seemingly up in a corner of the ceiling is equally bad. The only thing worse was the up-the-nose shot of Schiff. He was likely on his own, but c'mon people, frame the fucking shot.

The content is riveting in spite of the sorry ass job of recording testimony.

I dunno, it's giving me Blair Witch vibes.  Credibility due to shitty camera angles and editing.

11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

For all his faults, Shrub is 100x the man and human being as Donald Trump.  Maybe 1000x.  There's also that whole divide by zero problem, so maybe infinity.

11 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Sir, it is the Surly. Tits, ass, no math. 

He did mention bush

image.jpeg.4b25d4309fb37e2ea29b4b3bc458b6f5.jpeg

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

this is really boring and overhyped.  Most of the country doesn't care about topic, I'd say a 3 hour special on inflation would get more eyeballs.  Or a bikini contest. 

Then tell us, do you think what Trump did in the lead up to Jan 6th, the day of, and following was a non-event?  If you can't be bothered with the details, you are symptomatic of what is wrong with this country.  What happened on Jan 6th was one of the most significant events of the 21st century.  But your approach is 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yeah the editing is a little weird on those things. I've noticed too.

32 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Certainly true, but we're talking a matter of seconds here. Sometimes that editing is just the result of "winnowing the chaff" and sometimes it's disingenuous as hell.

I have not gotten the feeling that the Committee is at all disingenuous with the witnesses and facts, at all.  But a couple of things last night triggered me a little and made me wonder what else was said.

Some of it is probably edited for social media.  Social media does not like clips that ramble on after the point is made.

11 hours ago, Satchel said:

They’ve moved on to scaring people about the imminent replacement of white aggys:

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3303318

I never understand why people who are upset about this rattle on about it. The obvious thing for them to do is find a half-dozen under-employed young white women, and pay them to accept the OP's sacred seed and have a scad of white babies.

If the dude is broke, hell, get some game and have a few mistresses.

14 hours ago, PhillyD said:

The Hawley running video us going to be a meme gift that keeps giving for years and I am here for it.

Yep, I think it will help his opponents in any future races and keep him from being nominated for President

3 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

I never understand why people who are upset about this rattle on about it. The obvious thing for them to do is find a half-dozen under-employed young white women, and pay them to accept the OP's sacred seed and have a scad of white babies.

ht47hv3y6or21.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

11 hours ago, Pancho said:

Wait for it…

And a soccer game broke out.

[Me so slow. At least it was nice pike work by flagman. Hope he caught the dude under the armpit.]

Edited by RDCanecutter
hell is other people who think the same thing, but faster.

45 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

counterpoint - if mccarthy had taken it seriously from the beginning, then they would have a say in how things were edited. he didn’t, and now they edit however they feel best gets their point across. 

far be it for me, a non-attorney to weigh in something out of my frame, but it seems like a trial groups testimony by witness, whereas this is rolling out a narrative, grouped by topic, which often requires quick clips to keep the pace and rhythm of the story. 

last night they would use quick cuts of 3-4 different witnesses to illustrate a point, and it’s not like they have a bunch of takes to edit this properly. 

10 hours ago, mchookem said:

4Wmv.gif

In case y'all had ANY doubts of what we're dealing with in aggyland and MAGAland:

Thank for for flogging yourself so nobody will call you racist. There's *******s of every color. This fact has nothing to do with demographic replacement and its effect on a nation's culture.

panamamyers00 said:
The overwhelming majority of US immigrants are Hispanic - and they are more conservative than whites.

LOL Where do you live?
Breaking laws, transporting drugs and stealing stuff is now considered conservative?

We aren't just lurching backwards -- we're flying there at breakneck speed.  And knowing that the majority of America won't go along with this bullshit, they've decided to just overthrow the government and impose their will.

This ends in blood.  That has always been the ending.  It's the one that they want, and when one party wants bloodshed, you can't stop it from happening.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

We aren't just lurching backwards -- we're flying there at breakneck speed.  And knowing that the majority of America won't go along with this bullshit, they've decided to just overthrow the government and impose their will.

This ends in blood.  That has always been the ending.  It's the one that they want, and when one party wants bloodshed, you can't stop it from happening.

Combine that with the eliminationist rhetoric from the right around LQBT folks - framing them primarily as pedophiles and groomers to justify ANY act against them... Yeah it's going to end in blood. Just like that last time we decided to leave fundamental human rights "up to the states"

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

In case y'all had ANY doubts of what we're dealing with in aggyland and MAGAland:

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Look on the bright side - there were actually a few people pushing back on that thread.  I expected it to be a full-on circle-jerk in support of Tucker's agenda.  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, bolverk said:

Show of handsWho thinks their parents watched this, or any of the previous hearings, with open minds and hearts, wanting to find out the truth? Was this covered by FOX? 

12 hours ago, Frank Erwin said:

I did screenshots of each channel.  FoxNews had Hannity talking about Biden's agenda imploding.  Newsmax had Biden blaming anti vaxxers for something, and peddling snake oil supplementsF4F9B5AB-A70C-496A-9667-8BE6D6CBCD92.thumb.jpeg.a1f5b5f64627476a0764ad67bf9452dd.jpeg

33B0606D-B1ED-476E-8738-2DA7429E7087.jpeg

Found on reddit

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

One observation about last night's hearing that was a little bothersome.
A couple of the video depositions and audio clips they showed seemed to cut off abruptly after the "sound bite" they wanted.  I specifically recall a Milley clip and one or two other things.
I'm not sure it's a huge deal, but "deposition clips" like that can be subject to highly selective presentation, missing context or unfavorable testimony immediately preceding or following the clip.  It makes my litigator spidey sense go off a bit.  
I haven't gotten that feeling before from these hearings.
I think the witnesses they have shown have been by and large extremely credible, and I don't think cross-examination would damage their credibility too much.  But, in the event of a criminal trial, their testimony is now "locked in" and could be subject to some hits, mostly in areas of recall and maybe incomplete information, and that is an area of concern.

I’m guessing though if you asked for them to produce the entire thing they could you know….produce it.
  • Hook 'Em 2

48 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Some woke fucking judge would make him pay child support, though.

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

28 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

Look on the bright side - there were actually a few people pushing back on that thread.  I expected it to be a full-on circle-jerk in support of Tucker's agenda.  

There were.  I was stunned.  They'll be among the first sent to the camps when the MAGags get their dream come true.

2 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I don’t think it’s any different than preparing clips for trial. Video deps can be many hours long but the piece for the jury could only be a couple questions and answers. It can feel disjointed but the other option is reading the transcript into the record and that doesn’t make for a captivating presentation 

Counterpoint: I've listened to an audio performance of the entirety of Vince McMahon's steroid trial from the 90s, including jury selection, and it was RIVETING

ETA: It was also incredibly long

Edited by trauma babe

13 hours ago, bolverk said:

Show of handsWho thinks their parents watched this, or any of the previous hearings, with open minds and hearts, wanting to find out the truth? Was this covered by FOX? 

my parents are mainlining colbert's monologue, which i'm sure is about this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

counterpoint - if mccarthy had taken it seriously from the beginning, then they would have a say in how things were edited. he didn’t, and now they edit however they feel best gets their point across. 

far be it for me, a non-attorney to weigh in something out of my frame, but it seems like a trial groups testimony by witness, whereas this is rolling out a narrative, grouped by topic, which often requires quick clips to keep the pace and rhythm of the story. 

last night they would use quick cuts of 3-4 different witnesses to illustrate a point, and it’s not like they have a bunch of takes to edit this properly. 

Oh yeah, there's all kinds of valid reasons for the clips being the way they are/were, mentioned on this thread.

It's just that as a lawyer, when you see or hear a clip end abruptly (or a very short paste of a text question/answer pair), you immediately wonder what got left out.

57 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I love him.

I don't love him.  I don't hate him either but:

Fanone voted for Trump in 2016, as did Capitol Police officer Brian Sicknick, who died in the aftermath of the insurrection. Despite how awful January 6 was, Fanone says he’s “grateful” for the experience, as it opened his eyes to how dangerous Trump is. “The greatest trick in history was Donald Trump convincing redneck Americans that he somehow speaks for them,” Fanone says. “He will destroy this country simply for the sake of his ego, just because he can’t accept that he lost an election….What if I had not gone through [the insurrection]? I’d be the same dumbass that I was on Jan. 5. Not evil in my motivations. But ignorant to the truth.”

He is typical Leopards Ate My Face material.  What happened to him was obviously horrible.  So many R's (the majority) vote against their own interest and refuse to listen until something shitty happens to them.  Typical "he's hurting the wrong people."  He's also a cop so this shit is kind of baked in.  The reaping, not as fun as the sowing.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1