January 6th Committee Hearings Thread of Dominance

Longhorn_Fan68

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

?   

Lofgren is a lawyer, and has worked in private practice. 

Schiff is a former Asst. U.S. Attorney

Raskin is a Harvard Law guy, and was editor of the Law Review, and was a law professor for 25 years.

I'm referring to the ones that take point on the witnesses, not just the members of the Committee.

A law professor, generally speaking, is probably one of the last people on earth you want handling a witness.  I'm not as impressed by Schiff as many seem to be.  He speeches nice, but made some huge tactical errors in the impeachment.

4 minutes ago, Frank Erwin said:

You are an anomaly to be commended, very rare for three generations to have that level of independent thinking and free thought, invite me to your family reunion 

We are an odd bunch and thinking is what we like to do. Invited, but you bring the beer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Satchel said:

One thing is clear. Had GWB sat on his ass reading My Pet Goat for 187 minutes after having been told about an attack on the Twin Towers and the Pentagon, a bipartisan committee would have impeached his ass and removed him from office.

For all his faults, Shrub is 100x the man and human being as Donald Trump.  Maybe 1000x.  There's also that whole divide by zero problem, so maybe infinity.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

All three generations in my family watched it on CNN. Dad is a republican, hates Trump. His take was this was an insurrection and all these people violated their oath. Son watched with me and got pissed. "Dad, how do I raise kids in this environment?". His best friend agreed. I am a Centrist. More on the progressive side. Fuck Trump and his bull shit. 

Thanks, I'm deeply in the Austin bubble so literally everyone I interact with on a day-to-day basis professionally or personally is on the same page politically..

My mom is getting up there (81) and is showing signs of dementia, and my dad got the Covid because he bought into the NBD angle and passed. Mom really is the only hardcore conservative I communicate with, but I told her that politics is absolutely off the table for any conversation (I simply don't want to engage/argue with someone who can't fully comprehend or defend what's going on. It finally sunk in, and so we avoid anything of the sort on the phone. I do know she just wishes people would leave "the poor man alone."

She's also fully addicted to FOX and is defiant about watching it, but I haven't had cable in over a dozen years so my only exposure is through tweets posted on this site.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Show of handsWho thinks their parents watched this, or any of the previous hearings, with open minds and hearts, wanting to find out the truth? Was this covered by FOX? 

I told my mom to watch the first one and she said she would. I doubt she watched the whole thing or that she watched much if any of the other hearings.

When I texted her during the Jan 6 insurrection, she was more horrified by vandalism committed during mostly peaceful BLM protests after the murder of George Floyd. I told her I knew she was just repeating what she heard from Trump and Fox News and reminded her that she’d seen much worse than that in her lifetime. Like the Watts riots and the riots after the Rodney King verdict. An attempted coup upon a sitting session of Congress is a completely different animal.

She justified her vote for Trump by saying she was voting for Pence. It’s hard to talk to her because it’s such a waste of time and effort. But I need to check with her tomorrow and see if she watched tonight and ask her how she would’ve felt if Trump’s goons had been successful in assassinating Pence. But good luck getting an honest, thoughtful answer out of her. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of argumenting in the family. But we all watched. We realize how critical this is to the nation. 

Dad spent 36 years in the Army, so he takes his oath serious. Son is a dumbass at 24, but worried about his future. I had bourbon and will never miss something historical. 

Hang in there. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

Just now, InkaUtexas said:

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of argumenting in the family. But we all watched. We realize how critical this is to the nation. 

Dad spent 36 years in the Army, so he takes his oath serious. Son is a dumbass at 24, but worried about his future. I had bourbon and will never miss something historical. 

Hang in there. 

Although military experience doesn't guarantee political engagement or rationality, from what I know of yours and your father's experiences, you were involved in things that intersected the military and politics beyond probably the average service member, so it doesn't surprise me that you're all engaged and rational.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

I've been trying really hard for a long time to catch these flies with honey (in my personal life, where my physical safety is actually often at risk, and not on Surly obv...fuck all you Trumpers), but the longer I wait the more rights I seem to be losing. I'm really really tired of waiting.

FWIW, scorched earth is equally futile. At least I don’t have to suffer fools who blame others for their squandering every advantage life could offer, and who now work to limit the same advantages for our kids.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Although military experience doesn't guarantee political engagement or rationality, from what I know of yours and your father's experiences, you were involved in things that intersected the military and politics beyond probably the average service member, so it doesn't surprise me that you're all engaged and rational.

Yep, and Mom was a diplomat. Interesting dinners for sure. Like I said, lets all hang in there and watch this. I think they are setting up something big for September and will be nice to watch. The Cheeto needs to fall. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yep, and Mom was a diplomat. Interesting dinners for sure. Like I said, lets all hang in there and watch this. I think they are setting up something big for September and will be nice to watch. The Cheeto needs to fall. 

I have been following this mess from the get go so the facts brought up are mostly already known to me.  I think they've done a great job in weaving it all together as a coherent story of a madman unfit for office.  Of a guy that doesn't give a single solitary shit about anything but his own money and power and is willing to go to any length to preserve and enhance them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

One thing is clear. Had GWB sat on his ass reading My Pet Goat for 187 minutes after having been told about an attack on the Twin Towers and the Pentagon, a bipartisan committee would have impeached his ass and removed him from office.
And rightfully so.

32 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

All three generations in my family watched it on CNN. Dad is a republican, hates Trump. His take was this was an insurrection and all these people violated their oath. Son watched with me and got pissed. "Dad, how do I raise kids in this environment?". His best friend agreed. I am a Centrist. More on the progressive side. Fuck Trump and his bull shit. 

This is why I believe Trump winning the R nom is maybe the best thing we can hope for.  There are too many people on the conservative side who aren’t brainwashed to believe his bullshit.  And the difference between being in and out on trump will cost him the swing states.  I am certain of it.  And if he loses and starts railing about another stolen election, most rational people will just push him into the corner with the dunce cap that he should be in now.  I have just a glimmer of faith that there aren’t enough people stupid enough to buy his shit anymore.  It’s too fucking obvious.

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I have been following this mess from the get go so the facts brought up are mostly already known to me.  I think they've done a great job in weaving it all together as a coherent story of a madman unfit for office.  Of a guy that doesn't give a single solitary shit about anything but his own money and power and is willing to go to any length to preserve and enhance them.

Yep, same here. Watched it live with my son. Never saw him so angry. I was sad for him, but impressed by the passion. Now I listen to him talking to his friends and it woke him up. 

Fuck Trump and the assholes who supported him. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

He speeches nice, but made some huge tactical errors in the impeachment.

What, like presenting his case to a jury that already made up it's mind to ignore any and all evidence? Gimmeafugginbreak man. Ain't no preemptory challenges in an impeachment. 

Also lulz to see more magats doing the karen whenever someone touches them

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Yep. Moscow Mitch and McCarthy could’ve launched Trump into the sun if they’d wanted to and didn’t for some reason so TFG is still everybody’s problem.

1 hour ago, Frank Erwin said:

Just when they started to grow some testicular fortitude, it retreated.  Liz Cheney has bigger balls, it is no contest

Omertà won out. Easily. They are a criminal organization desperately trying to avoid prison. They're beholden to Russia and scared of their Qanon faction. If they don't stick together, they hang.

Only a criminal organization would operate with such callous disregard for the interests of anyone or anything outside of their rapacious syndicate.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Satchel said:

They’ve moved on to scaring people about the imminent replacement of white aggys:

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3303318

The LORD established the nations(nations meaning distinct peoples, not a political entity that has boarders). The globohomo babelists are the ones who want there to be no nations / boarders

4Wmv.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

…..and a lot of those busting down the Capitol doors, were former military enlistees, which is ridiculous.

3 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

this is really boring and overhyped.  Most of the country doesn't care about topic, I'd say a 3 hour special on inflation would get more eyeballs.  Or a bikini contest. 

2 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Are you retarded?

He made his username a reference to TEXAS fight but instead of "make 'em eat shit" or "OU sucks" he went with "make 'em eat Taco Bell" which has never been a thing.

So yes, dumbassery

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Maybe they meant Hershey’s? 

35 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I thought for a second that the blond ditch pig was MTG.  She so perfectly captures/inspires this shit.

Was going to say she looked like an MTG Wannabe, harassment and all.  

Edited by Underdog
  • Hook 'Em 1

One observation about last night's hearing that was a little bothersome.

A couple of the video depositions and audio clips they showed seemed to cut off abruptly after the "sound bite" they wanted.  I specifically recall a Milley clip and one or two other things.

I'm not sure it's a huge deal, but "deposition clips" like that can be subject to highly selective presentation, missing context or unfavorable testimony immediately preceding or following the clip.  It makes my litigator spidey sense go off a bit.  

I haven't gotten that feeling before from these hearings.

I think the witnesses they have shown have been by and large extremely credible, and I don't think cross-examination would damage their credibility too much.  But, in the event of a criminal trial, their testimony is now "locked in" and could be subject to some hits, mostly in areas of recall and maybe incomplete information, and that is an area of concern.

27 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

A couple of the video depositions and audio clips they showed seemed to cut off abruptly after the "sound bite" they wanted.  I specifically recall a Milley clip and one or two other things.

I'm not sure it's a huge deal, but "deposition clips" like that can be subject to highly selective presentation, missing context or unfavorable testimony immediately preceding or following the clip.  It makes my litigator spidey sense go off a bit.  

I think the witnesses they have shown have been by and large extremely credible, and I don't think cross-examination would damage their credibility too much.  But, in the event of a criminal trial, their testimony is now "locked in" and could be subject to some hits, mostly in areas of recall and maybe incomplete information, and that is an area of concern.

Counterpoint: there's alotta evidence for them to get through. They can't spend five minutes showing the whole clip every time they go to the tape.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah the editing is a little weird on those things. I've noticed too.

12 hours ago, DaysOff said:

Garland has until spring of 23 otherwise it looks like meddling in the 24 election.

Fuck their timeline.  The party of treason is going to throw a bitch fit and claim he's meddling no matter what.

I'd settle for him getting off his ass and start stringing up these sumbitches post haste.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yeah the editing is a little weird on those things. I've noticed too.

I think we should consider criminal charges against whomever was in charge of audio and video. It's not that hard to mic someone or get the proper mic the proper distance from the speaker in those videos. The lazy camera position seemingly up in a corner of the ceiling is equally bad. The only thing worse was the up-the-nose shot of Schiff. He was likely on his own, but c'mon people, frame the fucking shot.

The content is riveting in spite of the sorry ass job of recording testimony.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I wonder if the committee is tempted to run this session for 187 minutes tonight to demonstrate to those still watching this was how long trump allowed the attack to continue without doing anything.

that would have been awesome to have a stopwatch/timer at the lower screen during the hearing and then as they were concluding at the 3 hour mark explain it.