The University of Texas @ Omaha, Session #38 Official Thread

TrashMaster G

Augie story...  🤘

"When you talk about winning and losing, kids start fearing that instead of just playing the game."

On the eve of the College World Series, a former assistant of shares a lesson of zen from the winningest college baseball coach of all-time.

ZACH BARNETT        4 HOURS AGO

On Friday afternoon, Skip Johnson will lead Oklahoma into the College World Series for the first time.

These next two weeks have the potential to culminate a magical summer for the Sooners. OU finished third in the Big 12 in the regular season, won the conference tournament, beat Florida at Florida, then beat No. 4 Virginia Tech at Virginia Tech to reach its first CWS since 2010. If Johnson's team plays the next two weeks like it has the last two, Oklahoma can become the first team ever to win baseball and softball crowns in the same year.

But that won't be Johnson's message as Oklahoma takes the field against Texas A&M on Friday afternoon, nor for any game thereafter. 

While Friday marks Johnson's first CWS game at Oklahoma, it's far from his first CWS game. Johnson was Augie Garrido's pitching coach at Texas from 2007-16, where in his 10 seasons the Longhorns reached Omaha three times. The 2009 team was the best one, coming one game shy of Garrido's sixth national championship.

At his pre-CWS press conference, Johnson told the story of the bus ride before the Longhorns' opening game in the 2009 World Series. 

"We didn't talk about winning or losing the game. He talked about executing. He talked about getting bunts down, first-pitch strikes, playing good catch. And we win on a walk-off walk. How does that happen, you know?

"I thought to myself, 'Wow, this is pretty cool.' He never talked about winning and losing. What happens in this game, you talk about winning and losing, kids start fearing that instead of just playing the game. Do you ever really win at baseball? You don't. You've just got to keep playing the game."

Texas won the game in question 7-6, scoring their last three runs on bases loaded walks. Of the last 11 Longhorns at the plate, six were walked and a seventh was hit by a pitch.

That's what Garrido, the winningest coach in college baseball history, prophesied on the bus ride to Rosenblatt Stadium. 

“It’s just the way baseball treats people sometimes. It’s a brutal game,” Garrido said afterward. “Being in this environment for the first time created some nerves that turned into fear and eventually was the demise of an otherwise courageous team.”

Southern Miss started fearing the outcome of the game instead of just playing, instead of just playing the game. It's Garrido's version of The Process, harmonized for a different audience. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

College football is my favorite sport by a long shot, but the CWS is probably the greatest event in college sports. 

I could see that. I just never really followed baseball after little league so it's an entirely unknown world to me but the fans seem devout and that's usually a good sign that something is worth a shot.

24 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Augie story...  🤘

"When you talk about winning and losing, kids start fearing that instead of just playing the game."

On the eve of the College World Series, a former assistant of shares a lesson of zen from the winningest college baseball coach of all-time.

ZACH BARNETT        4 HOURS AGO

David Pierce has been to the CWS as the head coach of Texas as many times as Skip Johnson did as the pitching coach for Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, The Dog said:

Not sure if serious - Boyd's ISR model whiffed on the supers pretty bad. 

Reg    Super  Final  Champ   Team

100.0   89.0   47.3   30.2   Tennessee
100.0   11.0    2.3    0.8   Notre Dame
100.0   38.4    4.4    1.1   East Carolina
100.0   61.6   12.0    4.6   Texas
100.0   61.9   10.1    4.2   Virginia Tech
100.0   38.1    4.7    1.4   Oklahoma
100.0   53.0   10.8    4.0   Texas A&M
100.0   47.0    8.5    3.5   Louisville
100.0   86.4   28.2   15.5   Stanford
100.0   13.6    1.2    0.3   Connecticut
100.0   41.6    7.6    2.8   Arkansas
100.0   58.4   11.5    5.0   North Carolina
100.0   79.6   35.4   20.6   Oregon State
100.0   20.4    5.1    2.1   Auburn
100.0   28.2    2.3    0.7   Mississippi
100.0   71.8    8.7    3.2   Southern Mississippi

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

From secrant:

quote:
I hope Aggy wins it all. 

I do as well. They have easily become my second favorite school in the SEC. 

I can't for the life me figure why they are such an easy target on this board, particularly having to do with their traditions which I think are some of the finest in the country. When I see A&M, I see raw unapologetic patriotism. 

I've grown to love the f_cking school, and it seems like they are slowly but surely starting to hit their stride of becoming a major force in the conference, that we always suspected they would and quite frankly feared.

• Haha 7

7 minutes ago, BERT said:

Kennedy hits lefties just fine. Have DC in right and bring in Daly late. No reason to over think this. 

They aren't over thinking anything. Simply playing to the splits. 

I would be surprised if Kennedy starts because Bertrand's breaking stuff is nasty against left handed hitters. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

They aren't over thinking anything. Simply playing to the splits. 

I would be surprised if Kennedy starts because Bertrand's breaking stuff is nasty for left handed hitters. 

I’m saying you’re over thinking this. Lol

20 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Kennedy is needed in the outfield. He still brings the speed. He can always bunt lefty versus lefty if he isn’t seeing the ball well.

Yeah and um...whatever the name of that stadium is now...is a pitchers park. We need speed in the outfield more than we did in Greenville.

Yeah and um...whatever the name of that stadium is now...is a pitchers park. We need speed in the outfield more than we did in Greenville.

Yep yep yep.

And if we’re concerned about the lefty, you can flip Campbell and Kennedy in the lineup. Run the pitcher by the 4th and maybe we get Kennedy versus the righty in his 2nd AB.

And I have no idea about Kennedy’s lefty-righty splits.

20 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Yep. And Stehly will do just fine at 2nd

Calling it now. At some point up there we’re going to put Daly in as a defensive replacement in the 9th, let them tie the game then O’Dowd hits a walk off double in the 10th. Cause that’s just how Texas baseball goes 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Calling it now. At some point up there we’re going to put Daly in as a defensive replacement in the 9th, let them tie the game then O’Dowd hits a walk off double in the 10th. Cause that’s just how Texas baseball goes 

Can’t add anymore rep today. 
has anyone mentioned they are terrible, we should win convincingly? 

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Nice eye. Maybe because it wasn't in Omaha that year?

Yeah that's it. They don't have USC's 1948 one in Kalamazoo either.

Edit: And they don't have Oregon State's 2019 title. It is obviously only for titles actually won in Rosenblatt. So we will never pass LSU on that list.

Edited by Valmy77

18 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Yeah that's why he has a .400 batting average. Fucking idiots. 

Saw one draft profile that said he’s bad defensively.  Other than that recent error on a bad hop, he’s been great at 1B all year. 

10 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

From secrant:

quote:
I hope Aggy wins it all. 

I do as well. They have easily become my second favorite school in the SEC. 

I can't for the life me figure why they are such an easy target on this board, particularly having to do with their traditions which I think are some of the finest in the country. When I see A&M, I see raw unapologetic patriotism. 

I've grown to love the f_cking school, and it seems like they are slowly but surely starting to hit their stride of becoming a major force in the conference, that we always suspected they would and quite frankly feared.

but. could they find the ballpark?