Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

Just now, Anastasis said:

You are the one posting shit about Schrödinger’s gun to justify police shootings like the video above. 

Is that why I lamented police officers being killed this this week in Houston and NYC? To justify police shootings?

Just now, Anastasis said:

I am not sure why you lamented it on the "Active Shooter" thread.  Maybe one day you will tell us. 

The video I saw involved active shooters and the resulting carnage of gun warfare in the streets. Perhaps that’s why Im not a big gun idolater.

That Tennessee shooting is brutal.  Other views show the victim pulling "something", which turned out not to be a firearm, and taking a shooting stance.  The problem as I see it is that the cops spent an eternity trying to talk the guy down, instead of moving in and securing before it went sideways.  It would have probably been easy to come up behind him.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

That Tennessee shooting is brutal.  Other views show the victim pulling "something", which turned out not to be a firearm, and taking a shooting stance.  The problem as I see it is that the cops spent an eternity trying to talk the guy down, instead of moving in and securing before it went sideways.  It would have probably been easy to come up behind him.

I come from a community that is over represented when it comes to being victims of gun violence. The only way to stop the carnage is to create a culture wherein the sacred worth of the person is valued more than a machine designed for the express purpose of maiming, killing and/or destroying its target.

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Or taze him. Or strike with batons. Or throw a rope around him and pull. Could have surrendered a doughnut and tried to sweet talk him.

Maybe I misunderstood, and he did have a gun. If not, I guess all are effectively considered armed and dangerous now.

3 minutes ago, Satchel said:

I come from a community that is over represented when it comes to being victims of gun violence. The only way to stop the carnage is to create a culture wherein the sacred worth of the person is valued more than a machine designed for the express purpose of maiming, killing and/or destroying its target.

Another way to stop the carnage is to physically reduce the amount of those machines in society.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Another way to stop the carnage is to physically reduce the amount of those machines in society.

We’ll cure racism before we do anything to remove guns from the pedestal they occupy in American culture. Gun idolatry is a sickness that will remain long after we take them police.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Or taze him. Or strike with batons. Or throw a rope around him and pull. Could have surrendered a doughnut and tried to sweet talk him.

The blood thirsty police response was unconscionable.  They just kept plugging the guy well after he went down.  I doubt he would have survived, regardless, but in my mind if you sign up to be a cop then you sign up to possibly be shot in the line of duty. 

The overarching theme should be to consider the life of the citizen over the lives of the large posse who are all drawn and just itching to draw blood.  Fucking disgusting.  Take the risk, do everything you can to solve the problem without shooting, and if you get shot, you get shot.  That's the job.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Tennessee man made an aggressive movement or gesture, similar to drawing and pointing a weapon, towards a group of police officers pointing guns at him. I don’t know if suicide by cop was his intention with that gesture, but it was effective. Either he wanted that, or he didn’t have the mental capacity to realize that would be the outcome. Cops reacted appropriately 

That being said, yes, we should remove guns from the equation, like every other country in the world. But until we do, the above will be common. You can remove guns, but you can never remove the idiocy of humanity. 

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

But I deserve that machine because some guys in the 1700s were fighting against a tyrannical government across the sea and didn’t want it to happen again!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

He didn't have a gun -- he had a boxcutter.

Ah yes, the new American mantra, "SELF-DEFENSE, I thought he had a gun!"  To be fair to Mr. Popper, in places like Florida and Texas, yeah---it's likely the stupid person next to your stupid ass probably does have a gun with them.  But are heading down a slippery slope with every gun-toting, violence-loving, hate-filled moron just waiting to shoot at somebody and then going back in their story to insert some "Oh yeah, did I mention I was in fear for my life?" talking point in there somewhere.  

Not only does he open fire, close his eyes, wave the gun around and shoot through his passenger window, the A pillar, and the windshield...watch his left hand.  The car is also "pilot-less" for a couple seconds at high speeds.  This could have gone so much worse.  

He'll either be made an example of and get 10 solid years in lockup.  Or he'll be a Florida State Senator within a couple years.  Nothing in between. 

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Lol, that went about as I would expect it to go for the vast majority of dumb shits who have a gun in this country.  And then the lawyer blatantly lying.  "When he was shot at".  Um, that didn't occur counselor.  

Counterpoint:

Counselor, "Well, you cannot prove that he wasn't shot at by the other driver."

Uh, that's not how the law works.  

Counselor, "I know a lot of the law is based on the notion that you cannot disprove a falsehood.  But what my law practice presupposes is...What if you didn't?"  

Edited by Lobo

30 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Counterpoint:

Counselor, "Well, you cannot prove that he wasn't shot at by the other driver."

Uh, that's not how the law works.  

Counselor, "I know a lot of the law is based on the notion that you cannot disprove a falsehood.  But what my law practice presupposes is...What if you didn't?"  

it's not a lie, if you believe it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Bad news is we're living in a simulation.   Good news is the simulation operators seem to enjoy the TV show "Seinfeld."  

Fucking lawyer practices right down the street from the place they used as stock footage for the exterior of Del Boca Vista.  Presumably, his firm offered to help Jack Klampus sue Jerry for sending him into the everglades in that death-trap Caddie.  Though primarily a criminal defense attorney, I'd like to think Robert Gershman will eventually pass of the civil portion of the case to the great Jackie Chiles.  

"Your honor, my client Mr. Popper, is the real victim here.  The highways and bi-ways of South Florida are malicious, pernicious, and otherwise deleterious.  Mr. Popper had no choice but to defend himself against deadly bodily harm.  Now then, let's roll the tape..."  

(video clearly shows Popper getting gun, chambering round, and opening fire all before he could possibly see what the driver of the other car had/didn't have in his hands)

"This is the most public yet of my many humiliations."  

Damn, that's a pretty expensive failure to click "submit."  $230mm for what should likely be an automated upload from one database into another every 24 hours?  

The lives that could have been saved by a simple coding improvement to the systems?

Maybe the USAF had their reasons, but they don't anymore.  

Although, another debate for another time---a lot of things about the murderer suggest he would have found another way to get the firepower he lusted after.

16 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Damn, that's a pretty expensive failure to click "submit."  $230mm for what should likely be an automated upload from one database into another every 24 hours?  

The lives that could have been saved by a simple coding improvement to the systems?

Maybe the USAF had their reasons, but they don't anymore.  

Although, another debate for another time---a lot of things about the murderer suggest he would have found another way to get the firepower he lusted after.

I wish there could be a fault assignment specifically, even if the taxpayer is still on the hook....

To your last point.... and this is not at all directed to you, Lobo....this seems to be a talking point with the gun rights people and I never get it. Every single point along the path is an opportunity to delay or foil the plan, regardless of whether the person would keep trying to get what he wants. So many things can happen in between if that first purchase attempt is unsuccessful, whether through law enforcement, the person's own choices, or other intervention. Seems to me that on so many political issues, people don't acknowledge that there are numbers between 1 and 100. 

Wow America, we made 5 hours into the first day of early voting before the first political site was shot up.  Congrats!  

This should be a fun ride.  

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Damn, that's a very generic and low-crime area.  I lived blocks from there in law school.  Horrible to hear that it's at a church, too.  FUCK!

5 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Father kills his three kids. Horrific 

And an unidentified, and seemingly unrelated fifth person (who we can likely presume was trying to stop him?).  How fucking horrible.  Won't bother with thoughts and prayers, I'm lost. 

• 3 weeks later...

Houston

Police are looking for a shooter responsible for wounding at least one person in the Greenway Plaza area, authorities said.

The shooting happened around noon at a business in the 3800 block of Cummins Street, with the Houston Fire Department referring to it as an active shooter incident. 

Police officials dispatched a SWAT team to the scene as officers continued their search for the assailant. People are urged to avoid the area. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/crime/article/Active-shooter-reported-by-Greenway-Plaza-area-17006667.php?utm_campaign=premiumchron_breakingnews_20220316&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email

In any other 1st world country, this would be big news:

https://www.live5news.com/2022/03/17/2-doctors-killed-dental-office-shooting-texas/

TYLER, Texas (KLTV/Gray News) - Both dentists shot in a Texas clinic have died, a sheriff’s office spokesman said Thursday.

The suspect, Steven Alexander Smith, 40, is charged with capital murder, according to Smith County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Larry Christian. He is held on a total of $3 million bond, KLTV reported.

The sheriff’s office says the victims are Dr. Blake G. Sinclair, 59, of Tyler, and Dr. Jack E. Burroughs, 75, of Tyler.

At approximately 2:45 p.m. Wednesday, the sheriff’s office received a 911 call for a shooting at Affordable Dentures & Implants. Deputies said they found two male victims inside the business suffering from gunshot wounds.

The initial investigation revealed Smith was a patient at the clinic. Investigators said he became angry at clinic staff and went to his pickup truck in the parking lot.

He then returned and entered into the lobby area where he was met by clinic personnel. Smith had a handgun and ultimately shot two doctors on staff inside the business, according to the sheriff’s office.

Both victims were taken to a Tyler hospital, but they succumbed to their injuries.

Smith was later arrested at a home in south Tyler.

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread