Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

One thing is for sure....responsible, sane gun owners like me are starting to feel the heat and the ostracism. My wife is becoming less and less thrilled with my collection of firearms. Her friends are less comfortable coming to a home with lots of guns in it.

Gun owners, we are fucking losing the battle in the public eye. And the “pro gun” response of not just refusing ANY measures, not just resisting any conversation....but responding with defiant “fuck you, MORE GUNS” like allowing open carry of all firearms by anyone....it’s killing us. If you were to write a script on how to turn an entire society against firearms, to the point of even eventually repealing the 2nd amendment, this is exactly how to do it. Well done, assholes.

• Hook 'Em 6

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

One thing is for sure....responsible, sane gun owners like me are starting to feel the heat and the ostracism. My wife is becoming less and less thrilled with my collection of firearms. Her friends are less comfortable coming to a home with lots of guns in it.

Gun owners, we are fucking losing the battle in the public eye. And the “pro gun” response of not just refusing ANY measures, not just resisting any conversation....but responding with defiant “fuck you, MORE GUNS” like allowing open carry of all firearms by anyone....it’s killing us. If you were to write a script on how to turn an entire society against firearms, to the point of even eventually repealing the 2nd amendment, this is exactly how to do it. Well done, assholes.

I'm becoming less invested in firearms because I mostly shoot airguns these days.  Because I am irresponsible, or don't see them as weapons of mass destruction, I tend to keep them in corners of the house.  Like, there's a Benjamin 397 near the back door in the admittedly unlikely event I feel the need to do some backyard varminting or can plinking.  There's a fairly high-powered, but single shot Weihrauch HW97 in a caddy, that before Covid traveled to a field target match once or twice a month, that moves among various locations in the house.  And a Daisy 853 10M rifle tipped up in a corner of the bedroom.  And a Daisy 777 10M pistol on a shelf in a cabinet where we also keep board and card games.  LOL.

Wife no longer cares, she's used to it, but I guess it might make some visitors uncomfortable, especially if they can't tell the difference.

Why can’t we at least make you pass a more rigorous background check and need a license for detachable magazine, semi-auto rifles and those braced AR pistol things the guys in Hobbies board are so fond of?  

For some of them it seems more of an obsession than a hobby, and then you have guys like Brat stating it’s the media.  I honestly just don’t get how there’s absolutely no give in the fringes of that community when it comes to one particular type of weapon...it’s all fear mongering (sounds familiar) with ‘if they take one they’ll take em all’. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Perhaps it's the 'you would do it because I would do it' fear because chipping away at the reproductive rights of women is pretty much a done deal. I won't turn this into an abortion debate, it's tied to the example of using the legal system.

Yep.  Assholes think everyone else is an asshole like them.  They can't fathom that anyone wouldn't be an asshole, so therefore, everyone is an asshole that has to be fought against.

20 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

It’s inevitable.  The only question is time. It could be 50 years, 100 years, 200, but that conclusion is inevitable. People + Guns = gun violence. Yes, most gun owners are responsible. That doesn’t stop the crazy, sad, stupid, angry, shithole group. We haven’t solved the people wanting to hurt other people problem. We’ve had the same issue for thousands of years.  To think it’s easier to solve the human condition before access to guns is not just naive, it’s negligent. 

Eventually enough people will care to make change. Change takes time, especially in the US. 

For example 

1/1/1863 - Emancipation Proclamation - Black people freed 

6/19/1865 - Juneteenth - Black people in Texas get the news 

5/18/1896 - Plessy v Ferguson - SCOTUS says racist separate by equal law is cool

5/171954 - Brown v Board of Education - SCOTUS says separate but equal is actually not cool

7/2/1964 - Civil Rights Act - Black people get Federally mandated equal rights. 
4/11/1968 - Fair Housing Act. - Redlining illegal 

10/12/1977 - Community Reinvestment Act of 1977 - Redlining by banks is outlawed 

8/3/2010 - Fair Sentencing Act - sentences for crimes more equal

Blacks killed disproportionately more than whites by Police. 

Police Reform - Pending 

Gerrymandering Outlawed - Pending 

• Hook 'Em 3

I'm shocked it's that far north. It feels like we are just moments away from a Las Vegas style shooting spree in downtown Austin. What a shitty country this has turned into.

It’s right at our Trader Joe’s. I literally had to check find my friends to make sure my wife wasn’t there.

Close to home. Fucking literally.
  • Hook 'Em 4

A mass shooting on Sunday is like a Friday news dump. Ease up and consider strategic scheduling, active shooters, you're all starting to blur together. We want to appreciate each of you individually. 
I mean you can do some shit and be like what the fuck, but hey never on no Sunday.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, DCA_HORN said:
8 minutes ago, Chooky said:
A mass shooting on Sunday is like a Friday news dump. Ease up and consider strategic scheduling, active shooters, you're all starting to blur together. We want to appreciate each of you individually. 

I mean you can do some shit and be like what the fuck, but hey never on no Sunday.

Bonafide colored lady. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Also one in Kenosha overnight, but they believe it was not a random attack but a bar fight gone lethal.

Three dead and two wounded, the shooter at large, and we're all just relieved that this wasn't a regular mass shooting. What a country.

Edited by ultimaton

9 minutes ago, ultimaton said:

Three dead and two wounded, the shooter at large, and we're all just relieved that this wasn't a regular mass shooting. What a country.

I quoted the sheriff okay? it was not meant as commentary on gun violence or violence at large. It was just a one sentence info post.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Edit--sorry if I'm coming across as snarky and taking it out on you. It's not meant to be that way. We have way too much violence and it is happening every day whether the media picks up the story or not. Every day. It's heartbreaking.
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I quoted the sheriff okay? it was not meant as commentary on gun violence or violence at large. It was just a one sentence info post.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear but I wasn't giving you a hard time over that. I know where you stand on gun violence. It was a commentary on the authorities telling us the public isn't in danger because the shooter only wanted to kill these specific people, and we've become so conditioned to all this that we as a country really are relieved that it wasn't the usual, random mass shooting.

Edited by ultimaton
me no type so gud

39 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Also one in Kenosha overnight, but they believe it was not a random attack but a bar fight gone lethal.

That was my understanding as well based on police reports to the media and how shit goes in bars like that in Wisconsin.  of course the DT Crowd didn't like that so I'm getting all kinds of fun neg rep.  They can't believe that somebody got drunk, got pissed, went out to the car or nearby residence to get a weapon, and came back blasting at 1am.  I don't understand how that chain of events somehow inhibits my support of the 2nd Amendment.  

Sounds like he knew the victims, but also sounds like there were a lot of bullets and collateral damage (5 with gun-shots and 3 of those fatal, presumably several others injured in the ensuing panic).  But people want this painted as gang violence or some sort of pre-planned revenge murder.  Truth is, it's a bar full of drunks at 1am, doesn't matter the demographic.  One of those drunk assholes can go out and get his gun that he, now in hindsight should sure as fuck not own, can return with and cause mass carnage.  How is that hard for people to understand? 

Edited by Lobo

10 minutes ago, Lobo said:

That was my understanding as well based on police reports to the media and how shit goes in bars like that in Wisconsin.  of course the DT Crowd didn't like that so I'm getting all kinds of fun neg rep.  They can't believe that somebody got drunk, got pissed, went out to the car or nearby residence to get a weapon, and came back blasting at 1am.  I don't understand how that chain of events somehow inhibits my support of the 2nd Amendment.  

Sounds like he knew the victims, but also sounds like there were a lot of bullets and collateral damage (5 with gun-shots and 3 of those fatal, presumably several others injured in the ensuing panic).  But people want this painted as gang violence or some sort of pre-planned revenge murder.  Truth is, it's a bar full of drunks at 1am, doesn't matter the demographic.  One of those drunk assholes can go out and get his gun that he, now in hindsight should sure as fuck not own, can return with and cause mass carnage.  How is that hard for people to understand? 

Robert Earl Keen wrote a whole song about it.  Sonora's Death Row.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

It’s right at our Trader Joe’s. I literally had to check find my friends to make sure my wife wasn’t there.

ditto. fuck.

ETA per Google maps looks like they have the whole area shut down, including a good chunk of 360. must still be at large.

Edited by mchookem

25 minutes ago, Lobo said:

That was my understanding as well based on police reports to the media and how shit goes in bars like that in Wisconsin.  of course the DT Crowd didn't like that so I'm getting all kinds of fun neg rep. 

Negged.
I mean we all know you constantly make stuff up, but you know we can see what rep you get right? You’ve gotten exactly one neg rep in the last 2 days.

7 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Negged.
I mean we all know you constantly make stuff up, but you know we can see what rep you get right? You’ve gotten exactly one neg rep in the last 2 days.

I make stuff up?  I'm regurgitating the fucking police report to CNN.  Guy knew the guys in there, but not everybody (5 people shot, others injured, no way the guy knew every single person in that bar).  Got drunk, got pissed, got gun, got violent.  Why is this so hard for you?  And how can you see how much neg rep somebody gets? It felt like I had a half dozen lately. 

Edited by Lobo

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

My mom lives at the Atria right there.  They are all still on lockdown.

Police have tentatively named 41-year-old Stephen Nicholas Broderick as the suspect and they’re considering him armed and dangerous. Broderick, a Black male, is said to be wearing a grey hoodie and a baseball cap.

Broderick is described as 5′ 7″ with an average build.

According to the Texas Rangers and Travis County court records, Broderick is a former Travis County Sheriff’s detective and was charged with sexual assault of a child in June 2020.

Edited by Dark Horse

Reports say Stephen Broderick is a former Travis County Sheriff's Office detective, but while Interim Austin Police Chief Joe Chacon said Broderick might have a background in law enforcement, he would not confirm.

The Stephen Broderick who is former law enforcement was accused of sexually assaulting a child in June of 2020.  Broderick was 40 years old at the time of his arrest.

Stephen Broderick was identified as the gunman in the Austin shooting Sunday, April 18, 2021. The Travis County Sheriff's Law Enforcement Association shared this photo on their Facebook page in February 2019.
The arrest affidavit said the assault happened at a home in Elgin. The victim made an outcry to her mother, who took the child for an examination and doctors confirmed the abuse.

Broderick was was arrested on June 6 by the U.S. Marshals Service and charged with sexual assault of a child. He was placed on administrative leave without pay.

Broderick was booked into jail and spent 16 days behind bars prior to posting bail, which was set at $50,000.

Broderick, a property crimes detective, resigned after his arrest, according to Travis County Sheriff's spokeswoman Kristen Dark.

Court and public records show that Broderick's wife filed for a protective order and divorce shortly after her husband's arrest.

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

The shooter being a black guy who was a former LEO will have the Johnny Sacks of DT all tied up in knots.

only thing that'll make more heads explode is if he doesn't comply, and tries to shoot his way out of a stand-off.

Police Union is gonna have a tough time with this one as well.  Do you pony up to help pay the legal expenses of a guy who also happened to kill the family members of a former cop?  

2 hours ago, DCA_HORN said:
2 hours ago, Chooky said:

Did anyone shoot up his wrinkled ass granny’s church crown?

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

so is this just some sort of real-time social experiment where citizens continue to push things as far as possible just to prove that the govt will never ever even attempt to restrict access to guns?

What’s worse than murdering 20 preschoolers?

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

46 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Cancel culture. 

To be fair to the NRA, they did advocate that classes at Sandy Hook be cancelled for the rest of that particular day.  

Edited by Lobo

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread