2022 Volleyball - Stacked as Hell

Js1

8 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

We now have more national championships in the last 10 years than aggy has in their entire 150 year history

Why would this even cross anyone's mind? Who gives a shit?

I would expect this to be the case in every 10 year window past present and future.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Does anyone know when the team will take their picture at The Tower? I have a daughter who would love to go and maybe meet some of the players. (Dad wouldn’t mind meeting some too.)

UPDATE: I just got a text from the school saying tonight at 5:30. 

Edited by LonghornD
Question answered.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, LonghornD said:

Does anyone know when the team will take their picture at The Tower? I have a daughter who would love to go and maybe meet some of the players. (Dad wouldn’t mind meeting some too.)

After the holiday break probably. I’m sure the team wants to get to where they’re going for the holidays now. If I recall, WTN won in May and they didn’t do their tower lighting until September once everyone was back on campus after summer break 

Losing a generational player like Logan will hurt, but we bring back:

The Franchise

Molly Green Giant

Slide Queen

Baby Spice

Bella

Akana

With Carissa Barnes coming in to be the third little, the biggest question marks are:

Can Swindle adapt to the speed of the college game by coming in during the spring? 

Who replaces Logan’s productivity - Devin, Helmers/Byrd or a transfer 6 rotation OH?

Who wins the MB2 spot - Singletary or Bella? Bunton will RS

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Overall, serving is definitely going to need to improve next year. Giving up 5+ points a set in service errors isn’t going to cut it.

4th best serving team in program history (1.75 aces per set) - in the modern era, only last year was better (2.2 aces per set). 

• Hook 'Em 7

8 hours ago, SATXHorn said:

Posted this on VolleyTalk:

Just got back to the room after the FANTASTIC celebration in the hotel bar. I wish all of the Texas fans could have been there. Members of the 2012 team were there, family, past coaching staff, supporters, friends of the team… can’t tell you how many times I cried meeting the players as they came over after the team meeting to celebrate.

And I love that Akana got the ace on Championship Point.

2012 team members were there? Was Hannah Allison? Got any pics?

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

15 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Overall, serving is definitely going to need to improve next year. Giving up 5+ points a set in service errors isn’t going to cut it.

Not sure where that number is coming from.  11 SE last night, so <4/set.  2.25 SE/set on the season.

Can't have an aggressive serving team without errors.  So long as the error isn't on the 1st serve, I've learned to let them go.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

4th best serving team in program history (1.75 aces per set) - in the modern era, only last year was better (2.2 aces per set). 

Good coaches teach you to cross the body, serve the seams, serve short, and jam passers by serving deep. If some go out then so be it. The trade off of a team not being able to run their offense because they can't get good passes is worth it. My daughter's team won a national qualifier on aggressive serving. A team they played had a monster middle that no one could stop. She got like two swings on us because they couldn't get their setter good passes. 

• Hook 'Em 6

15 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

The obsession with service errors among fans and commentators drives me bananas. 

I keep wanting them to point out the serves where the opponent easily passes it on top of the setter, she has 3 options available (or a 4th with a back row hitter) and the ball easily hits the floor because the defense has no idea where the attack is going to come from. Because there are WAAAAAAAAAY more of those than there are service errors. In any match. 

Texas sided out at an obnoxious 70% rate for the championship match. That occurred because Louisville couldn't get enough pressure from their serve, and they're one of the better serving teams in the country. Texas meanwhile was consistently putting brutal pressure on Louisville's serve receive. They passed at a 1.91 rate. That's terrible. Didn't matter about the service errors. I'm not saying I was cheering each one of them. The 3 in a row was particularly frustrating. But if you're going to serve as aggressively as Texas did, you're going to get errors. That's just the way it is. 

You cannot win at this level without aggressive serving. You just can't. 

There was a comment in the pre finals press conference where one of the Louisville players (DeBeer) makes the joke that her coach's solution for everything is to serve tougher. And there's a lot of truth in that. 

Yes. The easiest way to beat a team is to eliminate part of the front line. That was old Texas. Couldn't pass so opposing teams were dictating where the balls were going. We were constantly out of system, and because of that all we did was toss bail-out-sets up to the OH. I tell my kid this. Once you get to a high level it comes down to two things..... Serving tough and good defense. You can go a long long way with those two things.  

• Hook 'Em 5

I've said it before, maybe in not so many words, but I'm also really happy for Elliott.  

The decade of also-rans was really frustrating as a fan, especially when the cause seemed pretty plain to see.  Yet, Elliott is obviously a pretty damn good coach and recruiter, so a change was unlikely if not almost completely unwarranted.  I'm sure it was frustrating for him and the players, as well.  I feel like he's one of the good guys, but that's pure intuition/emotion/affinity talking.

It appears that via transfers/the portal, Elliott has come to realize the importance of defense and passing when we get outside the Big XII in the post-season. We always seem to be able to dominate or at least compete with the Corns and Wiskys and Minnies at the beginning of the season, but not at the end.

It's going to be hard to replace this group, but I have a feeling Elliott has made a step forward as a HVC and we probably won't have to wait another 10 years.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1