The Texpatriates Thread

Goredho

• 4 weeks later...

Bump with one more data point, a good friend of mine just sold and is moving to the east coast for retirement.  The wild thing is they got full asking on a multimillion house in WLH with multiple offers and took a cash closing one.  The buyers have been renting for two years waiting for the right house.   So the supply is still constrained enough that the high end of the market is holding up.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hefeweizen said:

Bump with one more data point, a good friend of mine just sold and is moving to the east coast for retirement.  The wild thing is they got full asking on a multimillion house in WLH with multiple offers and took a cash closing one.  The buyers have been renting for two years waiting for the right house.   So the supply is still constrained enough that the high end of the market is holding up.

I expect this to continue in perpetuity as the wealthy continue to get more wealthy...right up until the point climate change fucks Texas for good. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 10/12/2023 at 8:12 AM, Hefeweizen said:

Several $2M new constructions have sold within a few weeks of completion in my immediate vicinity.  Those buyers don't give a shit about interest rates. If they do finance, they are paying more towards their principal and negating a high interest rate. 

On 10/12/2023 at 10:10 AM, SydneyCarton said:

I expect this to continue in perpetuity as the wealthy continue to get more wealthy...right up until the point climate change fucks Texas for good. 

They'll just keep cranking up the air conditioning. An energy giant like Texas surely has a robust and well-run power grid, right?

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

The problem will be the water 

Absolutely.  It’s a freight train coming down the tracks and outside of the big cities no one has done Jack shit to address it.  The stupid Simsboro well fields to bring water back west to the Austin San Antonio area are a symptom of the stupid planning.  There needs to be a huge emphasis on reuse and instead we’re all grabbing our fiddles.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/12/2023 at 8:12 AM, Hefeweizen said:

This is a good data point, as I plan on selling my house in Brentwood around March or so.  I don't need to make a killing.  But it's currently tax appraised at about $150,000 more than I bought it in December 2019, and I put $100,000 down, so something in that general neighborhood without it sitting on the market too long would be nice. 

Unfortunately, I can't tell you I'm moving somewhere cool where the state government isn't fucked every way sideways, as I'm staying in Austin.  

6 minutes ago, South Austin said:

This is a good data point, as I plan on selling my house in Brentwood around March or so.  I don't need to make a killing.  But it's currently tax appraised at about $150,000 more than I bought it in December 2019, and I put $100,000 down, so something in that general neighborhood without it sitting on the market too long would be nice. 

Unfortunately, I can't tell you I'm moving somewhere cool where the state government isn't fucked every way sideways, as I'm staying in Austin.  

Oh hey, rich fucking guy. 

4 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

My neighbor out here in Fort Bend sold in two days for $20k over asking.

I need Texas to hold it together for 5-7 years. Then, I think we will be leaving.

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I need it to hold together for 11. So I need you to get on board with that timeline, sir. 

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

12. The number you were looking for is 12.

This chart is 4 years old so we’re actually at the peak bar in Millennial years. So there will be less demand, not much less, but a little less the next 7 years. Then it will ramp up again

image.thumb.png.52605d30407e51b1d2a64c6846443598.png

15 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

This chart is 4 years old so we’re actually at the peak bar in Millennial years. So there will be less demand, not much less, but a little less the next 7 years. Then it will ramp up again

image.thumb.png.52605d30407e51b1d2a64c6846443598.png

Yeah, when he said "hold it together" I didn't mean the real estate market...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

This weekend I ran across a social media video where a former Texas-now Colorado resident, was discussing differences.

Like Texas, Colorado has amendment issues on their Nov 2023 ballot. In Texas, our political leaders want to do as little as possible to get their amendments passed. They can apply confusing ballot language and as a voter you have to go out of your way to discover what some of the amendments really mean.

In Colorado, it was pointed out that each voter has a booklet mailed to them with more information about each proposed amendment. Link  For the more complex amendments, they give the arguments for and against each one. For items related to tax revenue and budget, you see the actual impacts.

Some states want an informed electorate. Then there's Texas.

Yeah, I have never been a more informed voter than I am since we moved to Colorado.  It’s clear, there’s plenty of information and I can consume it and vote from home via mail as my schedule allows.  I’m not walking into a voting booth not knowing who or what half the ballot is.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

This weekend I ran across a social media video where a former Texas-now Colorado resident, was discussing differences.

Like Texas, Colorado has amendment issues on their Nov 2023 ballot. In Texas, our political leaders want to do as little as possible to get their amendments passed. They can apply confusing ballot language and as a voter you have to go out of your way to discover what some of the amendments really mean.

In Colorado, it was pointed out that each voter has a booklet mailed to them with more information about each proposed amendment. Link  For the more complex amendments, they give the arguments for and against each one. For items related to tax revenue and budget, you see the actual impacts.

I saw that in action last fall when I quit my job in Austin to take care of my ailing mom (RIP) with cancer at my sister's house in Denver. Watching my sister and her husband sit down at the kitchen table, read through their booklets to understand issues better, discuss the topics at hand, fill out their ballots, and drop them in the mail was both enlightening and depressing.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

can confirm, i did a whole post about it last November as i was literally stunned at not just how much information is easily and freely provided (you get a booklet for county and city measures as well, with all the same info) but also how objective it is, and easy to understand and digest.

and we were automatically registered to vote when we got our DLs.

and then we got our ballots in the mail two weeks later, did an 'open-book' exercise to fill them out, and walked over to the neighborhood community center to drop them off.

it was an amazing and eye-opening experience. 

i remarked that i felt like i'd left an abusive relationship that i didn't even know was that abusive!

@Beau Vinevoting and election night in CO is going to be quite the different experience 😄

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Every state should vote like CO does, and that's not hyperbole.  Ballots mailed out a couple weeks before they are due (everyone gets mail in ballots), along with the information booklet you reference.  You fill out your ballot at your leisure and either mail it back (at least 1 week prior to due date), or you drop it at any one of a number of ballot drop boxes.  No missing work, no waiting in lines.  And when my ballot is received, I get a text message that they received it and I get another text when my ballot has been accepted and counted.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

Every state should vote like CO does, and that's not hyperbole.  Ballots mailed out a couple weeks before they are due (everyone gets mail in ballots), along with the information booklet you reference.  You fill out your ballot at your leisure and either mail it back (at least 1 week prior to due date), or you drop it at any one of a number of ballot drop boxes.  No missing work, no waiting in lines.  And when my ballot is received, I get a text message that they received it and I get another text when my ballot has been accepted and counted.

I'm not a fan of the cold but Colorado looks to be a place that I wouldn't mind spending the majority of my time. And I can deal with cold and snow to some extent. Maybe have a condo in Houston for some time in the winter.

• Hook 'Em 2

CA does the exact same thing.   

fea843d6b6f2f37b5a9fcefc59cb6e07.jpg
709fccd4c362154086367ed4b2cc83b0.jpg Edited by Gil Bang
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm not a fan of the cold but Colorado looks to be a place that I wouldn't mind spending the majority of my time. And I can deal with cold and snow to some extent. Maybe have a condo in Houston for some time in the winter.

Switch Houston to Port A or South Padre, and that's pretty much my plan. 

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

for grins, I googled Denver's weather. High of 82 today. Interesting. Next Sunday has a high of 34 and a low of 22. That is quite a shift

Yeah, winter is showing up early on Sunday.  Gotta get the sprinklers blown out before then.

On 10/23/2023 at 2:01 PM, mchookem said:

can confirm, i did a whole post about it last November as i was literally stunned at not just how much information is easily and freely provided (you get a booklet for county and city measures as well, with all the same info) but also how objective it is, and easy to understand and digest.

and we were automatically registered to vote when we got our DLs.

and then we got our ballots in the mail two weeks later, did an 'open-book' exercise to fill them out, and walked over to the neighborhood community center to drop them off.

it was an amazing and eye-opening experience. 

i remarked that i felt like i'd left an abusive relationship that i didn't even know was that abusive!

@Beau Vinevoting and election night in CO is going to be quite the different experience 😄

We were just in Golden the last couple of days and I saw one of those booklets you had mentioned.  I grabbed it and the wife asked why, because we've already voted in Texas.  I said, "Because you're not going to believe this."  She was in awe of it.  "Wow, they actually want voters to be informed here."

And then later, we saw a ballot drop box right out in the middle of the Mines campus, and laughed at the thought of a ballot drop box in the middle of UT or TxSt.

"Wow, they even want college students to vote here?"

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2