The Texpatriates Thread

Goredho

I would love to move to Colorado or any state with "radical left" leaning politics, especially if it involved legal recreational weed use.  After a divorce during the pandemic and no family ties to Houston now, I think this is heavily in my plans for the near future.  My problem is my employer right now requires 4 days in the office a week and I don't see that changing in the immediate future.  Interested to read more responses.

• Hook 'Em 3

I talk about this.  A lot.  Places like Colorado, North Carolina, and the Seattle area come up often.  But it's not happening anytime soon, if ever, for a few reasons. 

First, I'm not moving as long as my folks are nearby in Georgetown.  It's important for me and my kids to be close to them and see them often. 

Second, I have a job that ties me to this state.  As a lawyer at my age, it's hard to just pack up and move to a new place and think you can easily slide into a new law firm and practice.  And that's aside from the pain in the ass of sitting for another bar exam.  I have over two decades of a practice and client base here in Central Texas.  So as long as I'm working, my career anchors me here.

And third, I have a network of very close friends here who are like family.  I don't think I'd have a problem making friends in a new place, but as long as my friends are all here, it would be hard to move someplace where I don't have at least one set of good friends.

Right now, all of the above outweighs how shitty politically our state is becoming, and it would have to get to a Third Reich level (insert Brisket hyperbole right here) for me to overcome those issues and leave Texas.    

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Goredho said:

A surprising thing about Colorado -- it is a blue state, but the poor (non-resort) rural areas are just as red as they would be in Texas.  The people there feel like they are living under the tyranny of politicians in Denver that just care about the I25 corridor.  They may be more pissed off than Texans about liberals and democrats, because the state is generally under their influence.  I know a few who have left for Texas and South Dakota in a migration not unlike my own but for obviously different reasons.

certainly a tale of two states but not uncommon.  most of the country is divided between urban/rural.  the table below shows the story starkly.  boebert, buck, and lamborn cover 95% of the colorado land area in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th districts...but not much of the population.

image.thumb.png.7bea65f4e27dc2a683d3c24aff7d75da.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm facing this conundrum right now but from Oklahoma. We bought what should be our final family "dream" house two years ago. We have established roots here in the community among mostly like-minded people and people of different political beliefs but who can be reasonable and honest in debates. My kids have friends here and are happy. But, in addition to the shitty politics statewide, and unlike most of Texas, our economy is stagnant without any real prospects of improvement. I'd like to see some growth but not Austin rate growth but we are, if anything, shrinking. I am 100% certain that neither of my kids will live here as adults and I honestly wouldn't ask them to even consider it, get a better college education than me and find a place that you mostly enjoy. I've contemplated if I move I'd like an urban environment where I can walk for most of my day to day needs. I'm not much for rural isolation. The problem is that most urban cities, even with liberal politics, come with a whole host of other problems, like affordability. I'm pretty much resigned to staying here but if an opportunity arose I'd strongly consider it. I have friends in Minneapolis and have considered it because it is on several top 10 lists for things I find important. It would be a big adjustment to winter weather, but it's not any more extreme than the fact it's been over 100 degree heat index consistently for the last two weeks. I'm sure I'll just keep ruminating until I'm an old man still here under complete theocracy which I feel is a serious possibility.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, F250 said:

My thoughts on leaving Texas because of guys like Cruz, Patrick, Abbott, etc...

office-space-michael-bolton.gif

Yeah, you aren’t wrong, but there’s what should be and what is.  For us, our kids were getting to the point where they had more negative experience with school than positive, and we could see how that was going to shape their remaining developmental years.  We didn’t have time to wait for tides to turn in Texas without our kids being released into adulthood with an ineffective education.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

At some point I am going to cash out and move somewhere when I retire. I have absolutely nothing tying me he other that it's where I grew up. Colorado or Belize are on the list.

• Hook 'Em 3

been gone since 2019. If we move back to the US it will not be Texas. I just can't do it. I don't find Austin that nice at all anymore (visiting now) and the rest of the state is full of people more than happy to go full fascist, so whatever. 

I will certainly have to get closer to US sometime soon enough, prob mexico (if not a firm blue state)

If others are in and/or considering Mexico I would appreciate their input. I can do the same for Oz but don't think any of you motherfuckers are heading that far

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, South Austin said:

You’re struggling with leaving Oklahoma?

Yes. For all the lulz, I live in Midtown Tulsa which is nice with many good people and amenities. The only thing Texas cities have that is better are larger economies and major league sports. From a governmental level, we're pretty much identical to Texas. Batshit legislators and governors dominated by rural hicks while our city government is fairly liberal and I would argue generally better run than most big Texas cities. Our school board also generally aligns with my beliefs. Just this week the superintendent and supermajority of the school board are pushing back against idiot parents who are flaming their board meetings about how diversity is white genocide and pride is evil. They literally boo'd a trans kid who spoke from the heart at a recent board meeting. The school board and superintendent are going scorched earth on these parents and the idiots at the state capitol who support them.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

We had a friend that moved to Boulder a couple years back and he absolutely loves it. Met a woman, got married, had a kid, and moved his parents up there to be near them. The wife and I would be there tomorrow if we could afford it or rather if we were willing to take the leap I suppose.

My wife teaches a dual language (Spanish and English) 2nd grade class, so I'm sure she'd be of need up there too but I'm not sure my skills as a full-time Surly poster and technically full-time banker is as translatable to Colorado.

12 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I'm facing this conundrum right now but from Oklahoma. We bought what should be our final family "dream" house two years ago. We have established roots here in the community among mostly like-minded people and people of different political beliefs but who can be reasonable and honest in debates. My kids have friends here and are happy. But, in addition to the shitty politics statewide, and unlike most of Texas, our economy is stagnant without any real prospects of improvement. I'd like to see some growth but not Austin rate growth but we are, if anything, shrinking. I am 100% certain that neither of my kids will live here as adults and I honestly wouldn't ask them to even consider it, get a better college education than me and find a place that you mostly enjoy. I've contemplated if I move I'd like an urban environment where I can walk for most of my day to day needs. I'm not much for rural isolation. The problem is that most urban cities, even with liberal politics, come with a whole host of other problems, like affordability. I'm pretty much resigned to staying here but if an opportunity arose I'd strongly consider it. I have friends in Minneapolis and have considered it because it is on several top 10 lists for things I find important. It would be a big adjustment to winter weather, but it's not any more extreme than the fact it's been over 100 degree heat index consistently for the last two weeks. I'm sure I'll just keep ruminating until I'm an old man still here under complete theocracy which I feel is a serious possibility.

A long winter can be made tolerable with a vacation to the Caribbean every February.  Where we originally moved to was at 11,000 feet, any snow that fell in November would be there in May.  The Feb vacation to somewhere warm and sunny was an absolute requirement, and it was the first time I've thought a time share might make sense.

We've since moved down to 7,200 feet and have more normal 3 month seasons.  It can get cold and snow still, but it is not the long marathon of a winter like where we were.  Another surprising thing about snow in Colorado when you live in the mountains -- a 3 foot dump of fresh powder isn't as cool as you would think, because you are going to be shoveling or plowing to maintain your accessibility vs going to a ski area to play in it.

6 minutes ago, Goredho said:

The thread for Texans unhappy with the governance of the state who have moved on to greener (bluer?) pastures elsewhere, or those who are considering it.  Feel free to post when, why, how its worked out, surprises, things you miss, questions of those who have left, etc...  I'll start.

We moved from Cedar Park to the mountains of Colorado in 2017.  We did so after an unsuccessful 2 year fight with Leander ISD to get two of our kids special ed services.  We thought we were just dealing with an obstinate school district, but came to find out it was a state-wide problem due to the TEA effectively imposing a cap on the ratio of students in a school that could receive special ed services at half the national average.  When we became aware of that, we decided Texas was not where we wanted to raise our family.

I talked to my job about being able to work remote, they said yes.  So we started looking, but settled on Colorado because A) we had vacationed here often and loved it, B) it was more progressive in general and C) the school district we would be in agreed to exactly what our doctors said our kids needed as far as services without any argument whatsoever.

It has been a great move, and our kids are doing well with their education vs struggling.  I generally agree with how the state is being run.  Laws are already in place to protect abortion rights, etc...  I miss friends, family, greasy tex-mex, bar-b-q and fishing the flats near Port Aransas.  You can get good Mexican food here, but its more of a Santa Fe style.  There is a Rudy's in Colorado Springs to scratch the BBQ itch.  Even though I miss the ocean fishing, there is plenty of fishing and other recreational opportunities up here in the high country. I still work for an Austin-based company, so I get to travel back once a quarter or so and hit up all my old haunts at that time.  Friends and family aren't really replaceable, but when you live in the mountains of CO, you will get plenty of visitors from "back home."

Recreational marijuana is awesome.

A surprising thing about Colorado -- it is a blue state, but the poor (non-resort) rural areas are just as red as they would be in Texas.  The people there feel like they are living under the tyranny of politicians in Denver that just care about the I25 corridor.  They may be more pissed off than Texans about liberals and democrats, because the state is generally under their influence.  I know a few who have left for Texas and South Dakota in a migration not unlike my own but for obviously different reasons.

@mchookem, @PenelopeWitherspoon, @Neonmoon, others?

Gonna bold this, because this dynamic exists in more states than it doesn't. California having the most Trump Voters in the entire US, as one example. People need to understand that this is just the dynamic that exists everywhere now, because that's what Fox News has made them believe. The Colorado Water rights disaster currently waiting to explode in slow motion is only going to exacerbate this shit in multiple states that are very purple as well. 

I'm extremely unhappy with what I'm seeing everywhere, not just Texas, although Texas is laughably horrible. But few places are safe, regardless of which side of the political coin you prefer. 

Personally, our son is at a school in Houston it will be difficult to move on from, so we're probably here through High School. It would take more seismic changes to prompt a change. So...great. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, 'stache said:

For all the lulz, I live in Midtown Tulsa which is nice with many good people and amenities.

I'll give you this, it's a lot less shitty than Norman. I seem to remember a great FM Rock station there. (I hauled a load or two out of the Port of Catoosa)

Edited by RPM

I wish that I could have moved to denver last year instead of back to Texas, but we play the hand we are dealt as best we can. Now that I’m here, we will stay for a while barring unforeseen and unavoidable issues. Kids have 5 years left before college or real life. 

Denver is a bit crowded so if job wasn’t an issue, I’d probably be looking in western Montana. Missoula or Bozeman.   

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, bonnieblue said:

We’re heavily considering a move to Virginia, Maryland (DMV area,  Richmond or CVA), or possibly Chicago. Would love Colorado or Washington, but with the fires and water issues, we’re thinking east coast instead.

We’re multi-generation Texans and I love it dearly, but with a kiddo now on the way, we’re not going to stand by if our marriage gets dissolved. Also quite worried about the thought of carrying even a wanted pregnancy in this state. * I can easily deal with bad governance and diversity of beliefs in my day to day life, but I refuse to stay here as our rights get stripped away.

I posted something to the contrary a month or so ago (same story, but the ending went a bit differently) in hopes of de-doxxing myself, but oh well, sometimes it’s more important to illustrate how terrible policies and rhetoric actual affect other people.

Good for you in doing what is right for you and your family.

We moved away in 1998 and the intent has always been to retire back in Texas. It's home and no state income tax. Not sure I can do it anymore. We've always talked about the possibility of retiring in Spain, but there was always a caveat about grandchildren, if they ever arrive. Our son and DIL are in the dfw area, but so far haven't cooperated. Other son is unattached and just moved to Minneapolis. For the first time ever yesterday Mrs Mo said that grandkids or not she's not sure she wants to go back. They can come see us in Spain. We got 3 1/2 years to decide. 

• Like 1

I have definitely soured on Texas (and Austin) but I’m also still infected with the hope that the pendulum will swing back toward sanity.  That combined with my stage in life and family ties makes it extremely unlikely I will move anytime in the next 10 years.  If things took an even more extreme turn then San Diego, CA is currently at the top of my unresearched list, followed by Kona, Hawaii, Galway, Ireland, and Sydney, Australia.

In the meantime I am just trying to adjust my lifestyle to spend less time in public.  I pretty much stopped going to port O’Connor for holiday weekends because of the unignorable Trumpism.  I rarely go out in Austin because of the odd combo of homelessness and douchebaggery.  And if I’m being honest I am not even sure I still enjoy the football games.  Maybe I’m just a misanthrope.  But we are putting a lot of money into our home in order to make it a place we never want to leave, and like I said I still maintain hope for better days.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, 'stache said:

We are looking at moving from Texas to a nearby state with medical marijuana as Texas will be the 50th state to pass it, at this point.

The problem is as you said; a high powered job in Oklahoma that would meet my quality of life in Texas seems to be non-existent. So alas, we continue to wait and monitor the situations...

4 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

We moved away in 1998 and the intent has always been to retire back in Texas. It's home and no state income tax. Not sure I can do it anymore. We've always talked about the possibility of retiring in Spain, but there was always a caveat about grandchildren, if they ever arrive. Our son and DIL are in the dfw area, but so far haven't cooperated. Other son is unattached and just moved to Minneapolis. For the first time ever yesterday Mrs Mo said that grandkids or not she's not sure she wants to go back. They can come see us in Spain. We got 3 1/2 years to decide. 

Why is state income tax part of the calculus for retirement living?

14 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Should have built better gun ports I guess, for the Dan Patricks and the Ted Cruz's...

Those would have been needed at the border. The NORTHERN border.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, royiv said:

Especially when property taxes are a regressive tax.

Worry not, soon, when corporations become the largest owner of single family homes, we'll have massive property tax reform.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

We sold our house in Texas and relocated to northern NJ last year and couldn't be happier.  The cost of living is higher but we are one hour to the Jersey shore, 40 minutes to midtown Manhattan, 2 hrs to the Poconos.  More importantly, 6 hrs to Maine where we are considering buying some land which is dirt cheap.   Think 70 wooded acres for $100K.  Maine is one of the least populated states in the country for a good reason.  It's BFE, remote with an aging population and mostly white.  However, it's only an hour to so to Canada if this country goes to hell in a handbasket. 

Other than an occasionally trip back to Texas to see family, I see no reason to ever live in Texas again.  The weather is awesome outside of Dec to April but WFH so we pick and choose when we need to venture out. No drought, scorching heat, or tornadoes but a nor'easter can wreak havoc.  The high today is 70 and the low is 59.  The natives are rude but it's like an Aggie where we try to limit our exposure to them. 

I do miss Whataburger, HEB (when it's open) and brisket so I get my fill when I venture back but the excellent Italian food and pizzas more than make up for it.  Plus, I can choose any type of cuisines in NYC.  We bike everywhere in the city and feel much safer than in Texas due to dedicated and sometimes protected bike lanes.  No need to take the subway to avoid the occasional mugging unless we are going to lower Queens for east of Brooklyn (La Guardia).  College sports sucks but a plethora of professional teams to root for. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, F250 said:

My thoughts on leaving Texas because of guys like Cruz, Patrick, Abbott, etc...

office-space-michael-bolton.gif

I do often end up with this thought and to date it has prevailed. Texas has come close recently in electing a statewide democrat so maybe there's hope there, but not here. I would consider moving back to Texas if Beto could defeat hotwheels, but based on how he did against Cruz, I think it's pretty hopeless.

We'll be gone from Austin for good within 8 years. Narrowed our retirement areas to Santa Fe, the Puget Sound, and Portsmouth, NH to Portland, ME. Mrs GOTJ (who's lived her whole life in TX) wants out maybe even more than me.

We don't have kids so far fewer complexities than many when it comes to retirement locations. A lock and leave condo or townhouse in a walkable town within reasonable distance to Healthcare and an airport will do. And local/state government not run by religious zealots, xenopobes, racists and people with room temp IQs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I do often end up with this thought and to date it has prevailed. Texas has come close recently in electing a statewide democrat so maybe there's hope there, but not here. I would consider moving back to Texas if Beto could defeat hotwheels, but based on how he did against Cruz, I think it's pretty hopeless.

Kinda where I’m at.  I mean I can afford to move, but goddamn, what about those who can’t?  I should stay here and try to fix shit.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

I attended a wedding in August 2020 in Pagosa Springs.  I was studying for the bar, my brother was working from home, and we were offered a cabin for free so we said fuck it and decided to spend a week there. You aren’t kidding about the small town Colorado being major gqp.  Really wasn’t much difference between say midland with how red that area was.

• Hook 'Em 2

Considering getting out of the state by end of year. Colorado has been my plan for a couple of years, but its also getting swamped with people (see this thread) and real estate seems to have skyrocketed. That may change, who knows. Anywhere in the Rockies really would be a consideration, but some of those others states have some fucked up politics as well. I may have to open my criteria to just "places that arent hot as fuck" most of the year and governed by insane Trump dicksuckers. There are still great aspects to living in Austin, but the negatives are piling up incredibly fast. 

I am retiring within three years (sooner if I get pissed off about something at work) and am getting out of this hellhole as soon as I fucking can.  

Wife and I had agreed on Los Alamos NM, but the housing market there has gone from kind of shitty to kind of shitty and insane, so as of now, our plan B is Corvallis OR.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Considering getting out of the state by end of year. Colorado has been my plan for a couple of years, but its also getting swamped with people (see this thread) and real estate seems to have skyrocketed. That may change, who knows. Anywhere in the Rockies really would be a consideration, but some of those others states have some fucked up politics as well. I may have to open my criteria to just "places that arent hot as fuck" most of the year and governed by insane Trump dicksuckers. There are still great aspects to living in Austin, but the negatives are piling up incredibly fast. 

spacer.png

• Haha 6

I've been on team @F250 for a long time, but it truly bothers me how the continual focus on red meat culture war bullshit distracts our leaders (and in fact a large proportion of voters) from the day-to-day issues that affect every Texan. The state's power grid being run on a knife edge of reliability, or the state being critically short of teachers, to name a couple.

Outrage drives people to action, I get that. But my kids' classes have to be split up among other teachers when their teacher is out because there's no fucking subs. Could we maybe table the laser focus on the rights of a handful of trans kids until we figure out how to reduce the number of kids in a public school classroom to something less than 30?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

The thread for Texans unhappy with the governance of the state who have moved on to greener (bluer?) pastures elsewhere, or those who are considering it.  Feel free to post when, why, how its worked out, surprises, things you miss, questions of those who have left, etc...  I'll start.

We moved from Cedar Park to the mountains of Colorado in 2017.  We did so after an unsuccessful 2 year fight with Leander ISD to get two of our kids special ed services.  We thought we were just dealing with an obstinate school district, but came to find out it was a state-wide problem due to the TEA effectively imposing a cap on the ratio of students in a school that could receive special ed services at half the national average.  When we became aware of that, we decided Texas was not where we wanted to raise our family.

I talked to my job about being able to work remote, they said yes.  So we started looking, but settled on Colorado because A) we had vacationed here often and loved it, B) it was more progressive in general and C) the school district we would be in agreed to exactly what our doctors said our kids needed as far as services without any argument whatsoever.

It has been a great move, and our kids are doing well with their education vs struggling.  I generally agree with how the state is being run.  Laws are already in place to protect abortion rights, etc...  I miss friends, family, greasy tex-mex, bar-b-q and fishing the flats near Port Aransas.  You can get good Mexican food here, but its more of a Santa Fe style.  There is a Rudy's in Colorado Springs to scratch the BBQ itch.  Even though I miss the ocean fishing, there is plenty of fishing and other recreational opportunities up here in the high country. I still work for an Austin-based company, so I get to travel back once a quarter or so and hit up all my old haunts at that time.  Friends and family aren't really replaceable, but when you live in the mountains of CO, you will get plenty of visitors from "back home."

Recreational marijuana is awesome.

Boebert is from Colorado. 

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I talk about this.  A lot.  Places like Colorado, North Carolina, and the Seattle area come up often.  But it's not happening anytime soon, if ever, for a few reasons. 

First, I'm not moving as long as my folks are nearby in Georgetown.  It's important for me and my kids to be close to them and see them often. 

Second, I have a job that ties me to this state.  As a lawyer at my age, it's hard to just pack up and move to a new place and think you can easily slide into a new law firm and practice.  And that's aside from the pain in the ass of sitting for another bar exam.  I have over two decades of a practice and client base here in Central Texas.  So as long as I'm working, my career anchors me here.

And third, I have a network of very close friends here who are like family.  I don't think I'd have a problem making friends in a new place, but as long as my friends are all here, it would be hard to move someplace where I don't have at least one set of good friends.

Right now, all of the above outweighs how shitty politically our state is becoming, and it would have to get to a Third Reich level (insert Brisket hyperbole right here) for me to overcome those issues and leave Texas.    

About 20 years ago, I was married, and my then wife loved horses, so I spent a fortune on horses in a failed attempt to keep her happy.  Anyway, we had a great vet, a guy in his 50's or so.  He told me that he had a client that was a big thoroughbred racing/breeding operation in Kentucky.  They decided to move to California, and asked him to come with them.  They made a deal where they gave him a guaranteed income for a period of time so he could build up a practice.   He'd been an equine-only vet for 20+ years, and, in order to get licensed in CA, he had to study-up on parakeets and hamsters to pass the CA test. 

50 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

I have definitely soured on Texas (and Austin) but I’m also still infected with the hope that the pendulum will swing back toward sanity.  That combined with my stage in life and family ties makes it extremely unlikely I will move anytime in the next 10 years.  If things took an even more extreme turn then San Diego, CA is currently at the top of my unresearched list, followed by Kona, Hawaii, Galway, Ireland, and Sydney, Australia.

In the meantime I am just trying to adjust my lifestyle to spend less time in public.  I pretty much stopped going to port O’Connor for holiday weekends because of the unignorable Trumpism.  I rarely go out in Austin because of the odd combo of homelessness and douchebaggery.  And if I’m being honest I am not even sure I still enjoy the football games.  Maybe I’m just a misanthrope.  But we are putting a lot of money into our home in order to make it a place we never want to leave, and like I said I still maintain hope for better days.

I know a great Realtor in San Diego. 

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

I have friends in Minneapolis and have considered it because it is on several top 10 lists for things I find important. It would be a big adjustment to winter weather, but it's not any more extreme than the fact it's been over 100 degree heat index consistently for the last two weeks. 

I did North Dakota through a few winters, and I'd avoid and Minnesota for that reason, but I have friends in Minneapolis and they love it.

But I'm pondering New England.

Vermont temps this week.
Thursday: 73/58
Friday: 81/58
Saturday: 89/62
Sunday: 92/67
Monday: 77/52
Tuesday: 78/53
Wednesday: 82/59

Looking Let Me Think GIF by TipsyElves.com

• Hook 'Em 1

Gonna stick around 3-5 years and reassess. I can always move back to California for my work but I would prefer not to. At least not the Bay Area. Thinking of Colorado or North Carolina in the research triangle area if I do bounce. My folks bought land and might be building a vacation home in Washington State near the border. So maybe Bellingham as well. But meanwhile, gotta keep up the good fight here.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Real estate here in the mountains went bananas with the pandemic.  I totally had the wrong thought going in.  I thought the economy was going to flounder, people would be tightening their belt, vacations and 2nd homes would be the first things people cut, people would be scared to travel at all and home prices in the area would drop off a cliff.  What really happened was that the pandemic economic hit didn't hit the vacationers and 2nd home owners, people needed vacations in the worst way, and a large number of them only felt safe vacationing where we lived -- a drivable distance to an area with lots of outdoor recreation and where they could be away from crowds with close friends and family.  VRBO bookings went bananas, a lot of people on the bubble of being a 2nd home owner said fuck it and rolled the dice, and a lot of families and friends pooled their resources to buy properties that they share.

But I think that's a pandemic RE bubble that's about to pop.  Never mind that I was a real estate idiot during the pandemic.  More and more people are feeling safe getting back on airplanes, or going to Disney, or getting on a cruise ship.  Many will have vacationed the last 3 years in the Colorado rockies and be ready for something different.  Interest rates are making financed buys less and less attractive.  Many more people with jobs across various industries are feeling an economic hit now than they did in 2020-2021.  All of that probably adds up to a sharp drop off in demand and prices of cabins in the woods.

If you are looking for one of those, things might look much more attractive in 12-18 months.

• Hook 'Em 3

I've lived in NJ for years.  My last job wanted me to move back to TX, and I said no, and don't regret that decision at all.  I live under an hour from NYC and the beach, and within maybe 90 minutes of the mountains.  Have four seasons, none of which are extreme.  Legal pot.  And as a woman, I have access to healthcare.  I live in a town that is walkable, with good restaurants, bars, theaters, etc., public transportation, parks, and some of the best public schools in the country.  Yeah, the cost of living and taxes are high, but you get what you pay for.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, royiv said:

Especially when property taxes are a regressive tax.

We don't own property, and have no desire to. We want to just lock up our apartment and leave whenever we want, and for however long we want. 

Man, this is thinking is much more prevalent than I realized. Born and raised in Texas, would throw in the towel tomorrow if not for family. Have aging parents on both sides, along with a SIL that needs a lot of medical help. Seems selfish to just jet. But between the heat, politics, high taxes, and just the sheer number of people that are now here, I don't know why the hell we should stay.

I think the weather I would love the most is Florida (love thunderstorms), but it's got the same politics/issues as Texas now. Absolutely love Washington but wonder how I'd handle the winters. North Carolina, Northern Georgia, and Eastern Tennessee are also spots I love, but don't really think I'd fit in with others.

• Hook 'Em 1