Highland Park IL 4th of July Parade Massacre

30 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Lol.  Yes.  I may still have wetbrain from the long weekend.  Guilty

Ok.  The exact timing of the phone call may be important.  If it was made before information was released about who the person of interest was, that could be pretty damning because it could indicate the dad fairly quickly suspected his kid.  Which then raises the question, why did he suspect him and what did he know about his son's activities before the shooting?  Or, the call may just indicate that a witness (or the shooter, or the police) let the dad know who the shooter was before the information was released.  Or the call was made after the information about the shooter was released, which would indicate nothing.

Edited by ClubWhatever

2 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

Says he owns two businesses and was a candidate for mayor 

Fitlump as counterpoint to assuming that means he is a “prominent member”

or that it precludes mental and emotional instability.

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Ok.  The exact timing of the phone call may be important.  If it was made before information was released about who the person of interest was, that could be pretty damning because it could indicate the dad fairly quickly suspected his kid.  Which then raises the question, why did he suspect him and what did he know about his son's activities before the shooting?  Or, the call may just indicate that a witness (or the shooter, or the police) let the dad know who the shooter was before the information was released.  Or the call was made after the information about the shooter was released, which would indicate nothing.

No - it was after the name of the kid was released.  And again, he told authorities right away.  Btw the authorities supposedly already had also been in contact with the family.  This isn't all that surprising if this kid's dad had run for mayor and was connected in the community.  The family is still gonna, deservingly, get heat about this kids posts and that will pale in comparison to the heat whoever sold him a gun gets.  This fucking kid was a walking red flag.  

Crimo was arrested a mile from my BIL’s house. His fiancée is pretty freaked out. He sent me this picture, he’s not sure if it’s real or not but this girl went to hs with his fiancée’s youngest. 

ECA98E18-C160-4F6C-B6F0-6450C9B48404.thumb.jpeg.f46593c592e82428658419da340c219a.jpeg

Edited by Buzzrock

26 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

A seventh person has died, and the attacker planned this for weeks. The police were called in 2019 when Crimo tried to kill himself and again in 2020 when he threatened to kill family members. 

This person, the Uvalde shooter, the ______ shooter, they all seem to be acquiring their guns legally. Despite all the shit in their records and red flags, they're still able to legally acquire a weapon and murder so, so many people. 

It's crazy to see the same pattern of facts so consistently and frequently, and yet to also see so much disagreement as to what is motivating it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Not to put too fine a point on it - but this fucking guy with a history of fucking swords getting confiscated from him was able to buy the gun that murdered and maimed so many people fully legally

jUsT eNfOrCe ThE lAwS wE hAvE ain't cutting it, based on body count.

• Hook 'Em 1

And at this very moment, a Republican politician is workshopping a fundraising ad about this shooting occurring in a blue state.  With names like Pritzker and Lightfoot, Duckworth, Durkin, Pelosi, and Schumer.
We're done as a country and a society.  

CR is that way fuck head —>

Charges filed:

de4bae50256116c8090319aa81cdd6c3.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 4

I had the distinct pleasure of working in Highland Park for 1 week per month for over 5 years.   It's such a great little town.  I'm so sad for the nice people there. 

My former office is directly across the street from the shooter's perch, on Central Avenue.  The windows are blown out of what was my private office in the building, among many others. 

Edited by Gil Bang

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

CR is that way fuck head —>

Charges filed:

de4bae50256116c8090319aa81cdd6c3.jpg

Yay, he's going to get charged with a ton of crimes!  Justice is wonderful!  We're great again, folks!

But we really need to move on, as we have another shooting to prepare for in a day or two.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 3

Sunday night we went to a big fireworks show with probably 100 to 200k people in the area. Wife and I were talking about how easy it would be for it to happen there, and how there's no way the holiday weekend would be done without it happening somewhere. And I'm sure ton of people there were thinking the same thing. Sad how that is the standard now in America like it's a banana republic.

Kind of surprised it didn't happen at 3 or 4 different places. 

I spoke to one of my closest friends from Highland Park and luckily his family wasn't there. He was pretty shaken, though. He knew a lot of people who attended and one of the women who worked at his synagogue was killed. Actually, it kind of shook me since I went to camp in Wisconsin as a kid with many, many kids from Highland Park and had a handful of friends from there in my frat. It would be impossible to track them all down, but odds are...

12 hours ago, Captainant said:

Not to put too fine a point on it - but this fucking guy with a history of fucking swords getting confiscated from him was able to buy the gun that murdered and maimed so many people fully legally

jUsT eNfOrCe ThE lAwS wE hAvE ain't cutting it, based on body count.

Based on what I've seen, I'd say there is a more than 90% chance he lied on his 4473, which means he didn't purchase it legally. But, of course, even if your background check gets rejected because you are a prohibited person, you have a less than 0.1% chance of even being investigated by the ATF, so...

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Based on what I've seen, I'd say there is a more than 90% chance he lied on his 4473, which means he didn't purchase it legally. But, of course, even if your background check gets rejected because you are a prohibited person, you have a less than 0.1% chance of even being investigated by the ATF, so...

If scouts honor on a piece of paper is what separates society from teenagers buying rifles and committing mass murder with them... That ain't fucking good enough. The NICS system is a relic of a pre-internet age, that has been designed to be limited and difficult to meaningfully use in law enforcement action, including verifying and validating 4473's. 

Its a distinction without difference to those dead people if the shooter lied on his form, the federal firearm license holder still legally transferred the rifle to the him. 

Nevermind that if the NICS system is overwhelmed and takes more than a few days to respond, you get your gun. Can put any constraints on your right to FIREPOWER, BAYBEEEE!

And to add on to that... It wasn't just a failure of laws, but also a failure of parenting. Pops fucking sponsored his kids FOID card even after threatening the family a year prior.

Thank goodness our rights to bear arms is so well protected! They couldn't deny a FOID card to this child because the child's family didn't press charges, so there was no legal paper trail.

So fucking stupid and so fucking easy to fix, but we can't even TALK about it. Because your hobby is a constitutional right. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Wally Pryor said:

Jesus. Surprised the dude(?) could even lift the rifle to aiming level.

well thanks to the tactical flexibility and superior ergonomics of the AR platform, he could easily kill seven and irreversibly change the lives of hundreds, potentially thousands, of people for the worse. And it's his goddamn, god given, and constitutionally protected right to easily acquire that gun with as little paper trail as possible.

Happy Independence Day! 🇺🇸

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

And he needs to be held liable for it. That’s where this needs to go. Insurance and liability for your sponsored actions. 

Illinois state law is unfortunately unclear as to what those penalties are for when a person sponsored for a FOID card turns 21 and no longer requires a sponsor. So we'll see, but based on my "it's going to be dumbest fucking outcome" methodology, I'd bet the dad is going to get off scot-free aside from the stigma of being a terribly negligent and irresponsible father. Oh well, it's not against the law to be terribly negligent and irresponsible - and we COULD NEVER(!!!!) impede ANYONE'S right to buy a gun. It's why the FOID card was issued - they knew they wouldn't be able to legally defend a denial were it challenged in court, despite it being plainly clear he should have been denied based on his prior violent behavior and law enforcement actions against him

Edited by Captainant

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

And he needs to be held liable for it. That’s where this needs to go. Insurance and liability for your sponsored actions. 

If that's the case then who would co-sign an FOID for anyone? I can't control your actions and history of being a person with good moral character goes out the window when a mental illness is developed 

1 hour ago, HRSchenker said:

If that's the case then who would co-sign an FOID for anyone? I can't control your actions and history of being a person with good moral character goes out the window when a mental illness is developed 

That's kind of the point.  Don't cosign for someone you don't know very very well to be a pretty risk-free person, or better yet, only if you control their access to firearms.

4 hours ago, Captainant said:

Illinois state law is unfortunately unclear as to what those penalties are for when a person sponsored for a FOID card turns 21 and no longer requires a sponsor. So we'll see, but based on my "it's going to be dumbest fucking outcome" methodology, I'd bet the dad is going to get off scot-free aside from the stigma of being a terribly negligent and irresponsible father. Oh well, it's not against the law to be terribly negligent and irresponsible - and we COULD NEVER(!!!!) impede ANYONE'S right to buy a gun. It's why the FOID card was issued - they knew they wouldn't be able to legally defend a denial were it challenged in court, despite it being plainly clear he should have been denied based on his prior violent behavior and law enforcement actions against him

From a tort standpoint, although it was grossly negligent to sponsor a firearm permit for a minor you know to be mentally unfit, once the person turns 21, and ostensibly could have gotten the permit without sponsorship, and then does some crimes with the gun, I think the chain of causation is broken.  It becomes "negligence in the air."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HRSchenker said:

that sounds like the point of liability.  i dont cosign a loan for someone if theyre a deadbeat.

• Hook 'Em 2

56 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

that sounds like the point of liability.  i dont cosign a loan for someone if theyre a deadbeat.

I don't really accept the premise. Paying back a loan and certifying adolescent behavior through adulthood are two different concepts. If not, tell me why. 

7 hours ago, Captainant said:

Isn’t it Illinois where a car owner is being sued because his car killed someone while at an auto repair shop. Sounds like Illinois is a fucking regarded backassward state on the whole.   

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Isn’t it Illinois where a car owner is being sued because his car killed someone while at an auto repair shop. Sounds like Illinois is a fucking regarded backassward state on the whole.   

ViCARious liability 

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Michigan.  The basic problem there is that it was an employee on employee tort.  Just about every place that has worker's comp says an employee can't sue their employer for on the job injuries or death, even if the employer lets an unlicensed, no-mt-driving employee shuffel mt cars around the lot.

Secondarily, as a side effect, apparently, of no-fault insurance, the owner of a vehicle is liable for injuries caused by the vehicle if knowingly loaned to anyone.  No-fault insurance is indeed fubar.

39 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Michigan.  The basic problem there is that it was an employee on employee tort.  Just about every place that has worker's comp says an employee can't sue their employer for on the job injuries or death, even if the employer lets an unlicensed, no-mt-driving employee shuffel mt cars around the lot.

Secondarily, as a side effect, apparently, of no-fault insurance, the owner of a vehicle is liable for injuries caused by the vehicle if knowingly loaned to anyone.  No-fault insurance is indeed fubar.

Yeah.  Forgot that was Michigan.  But that is a fucked  up law.