• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crash_davis

• nnm

• Armybrat

• Message Board User

On 1/2/2022 at 7:46 PM, Lobo said:

That's fucking depressing.  I'll give him credit, he looked 65 until he was 90.  But he's only 43 in that fucking still shot?  Dammit!  That's younger than I am now.  I'm not aging well, but he looks 65 there.  Dah fuh?!?  Loved him in every single fucking role from Nils to Condor to Intacto to Star Wars.  There are some photos of my grandfather where he and Von Sydow are twin brothers in another life.  

To a prosperous and healthy 2022! 

Posrep for mentioning Intacto. Little known and weird, but I love that movie.

I think about that movie sometimes during Covid pandemic.  Obviously there are unknown biological elements, physiological elements, and immutable laws of physics that we just don't get yet about how some elderly person can walk through a crowded room of positive carriers and not contract the virus.  And others in perfect young health can get it from one time across the room from an asymptomatic person and get a bad case of it and go to hospital.  What if there is this hidden ledger for luck that we cannot see or understand. 

Not God, not Science, just this balance sheet we all carry with us of our "luck."  There really are things that happen to people, good and bad, that there is simply no other explanation for.  It's as good as most other explanations I've heard and I've heard 'em all...what if Luck was a commodity that could vary person by person and it could be traded or taken or given?  Excess or deficit.  What if, when you most needed it, your "tank" was empty?  What if you had it in abundance and never knew it?  Why does this virus kill a young parent and spare the obese 80 year old with asthma next to them?  

Eli Wiesel was speaking at UT years ago (about the time "Intacto" came out actually, though I doubt he ever saw it).  And he kinda touched on this.  That he kept his faith as best he could in the Camps, most Jews did.  And perhaps it was simply the hand of God that delivered them from those places in the guise of American G.I.s.  But he felt there was something more behind it all than that.  How did he manage to live for so long under the threat of death when so many hundreds of thousands were killed the moments they got off the trains?  Sure he was a young male and a capable laborer, but so many of them died so soon after deportation.  Still others survived as toddlers and elderly people.  What was this immeasurable element that surrounds some people that make the SS just look past them for another day, and others singled out immediately for liquidation?  He comments, "We were all wearing the same uniform.  After several weeks there, we all began to look about the same---vague and ghostly.  Why did some of us stick out and others of us blend in so well?"  He considers it divine intervention, a part of God's plan.  I tend to agree.  But is it something else?  Is it like "Intacto" suggests, we all just have this meter running and there's no telling when your's or mine is up, unless there is a way after all. /rant

I think about that movie sometimes during Covid pandemic.  Obviously there are unknown biological elements, physiological elements, and immutable laws of physics that we just don't get yet about how some elderly person can walk through a crowded room of positive carriers and not contract the virus.  And others in perfect young health can get it from one time across the room from an asymptomatic person and get a bad case of it and go to hospital.  What if there is this hidden ledger for luck that we cannot see or understand. 
Not God, not Science, just this balance sheet we all carry with us of our "luck."  There really are things that happen to people, good and bad, that there is simply no other explanation for.  It's as good as most other explanations I've heard and I've heard 'em all...what if Luck was a commodity that could vary person by person and it could be traded or taken or given?  Excess or deficit.  What if, when you most needed it, your "tank" was empty?  What if you had it in abundance and never knew it?  Why does this virus kill a young parent and spare the obese 80 year old with asthma next to them?  
Eli Wiesel was speaking at UT years ago (about the time "Intacto" came out actually, though I doubt he ever saw it).  And he kinda touched on this.  That he kept his faith as best he could in the Camps, most Jews did.  And perhaps it was simply the hand of God that delivered them from those places in the guise of American G.I.s.  But he felt there was something more behind it all than that.  How did he manage to live for so long under the threat of death when so many hundreds of thousands were killed the moments they got off the trains?  Sure he was a young male and a capable laborer, but so many of them died so soon after deportation.  Still others survived as toddlers and elderly people.  What was this immeasurable element that surrounds some people that make the SS just look past them for another day, and others singled out immediately for liquidation?  He comments, "We were all wearing the same uniform.  After several weeks there, we all began to look about the same---vague and ghostly.  Why did some of us stick out and others of us blend in so well?"  He considers it divine intervention, a part of God's plan.  I tend to agree.  But is it something else?  Is it like "Intacto" suggests, we all just have this meter running and there's no telling when your's or mine is up, unless there is a way after all. /rant

This is definitely what this thread was meant for
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

This is definitely what this thread was meant for

Yeah, I know.  It's not often anyone has seen Von Sydow's "Intacto" film.  the parallels to the pandemic seemed relevant but not very funny.  

It's like when Rafi meets Chad Ochocinco at the pool and asks him if he knows Mike Ochocinco.  And everybody looks at Rafi like he's being inappropriate but he's just excited to meet a guy with that name and he even says to Chad, "Sorry, but I thought you might know Mike.  It's not often you meet somebody with the same Spanish numerals as a last name as him."  

13 hours ago, tfoolry said:

A lot going on here.  

You ain't kidding. I thought for sure drunk-looking guy was going to get hammered. What was the other guy doing? Jump shots? Blew a kiss and then missed a punch while also getting nailed in the jaw?

25 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I haven't been in very many fights, but that's the technique I used in the few that I've been in.  Never had to land more than one blow.  Weave and dodge until you get in a killing shot to the nads.  Works every time.

always knew you were a bitch. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tfoolry said:

A lot going on here.  

I'm not sure what move i liked better, the shooting a pretend J to show that "it was on", or pushing the lady into the other guy before whiffing on his slap/punch(seems like he couldn't decide?)

Edited by Pam Cummings