Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

5 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Yes I do. The more receivers you spread out the easier it is to see what the defense is in. There is a reason the game has evolved past the fullback. We were very stubborn offensively back in those days. Very. See Vince 03-early 04. We scored 0 points with Ced Benson in the backfield vs OU. 0! Not sure if you've ever played QB but a lot of QBs are following the route with their eyes, so they throw to the spot the receiver will be in and there is a defender sitting on the route ahead. Same thing happened to Quinn last week. The easy solution is to throw routes to the outside where the read is cleaner and/or put more receivers out there and that forces box guys out and prevents them muddying the waters. You can keep Ced in and go 4 wide, and then send Ced out in the flat which pulls a backer with him. Either way, we were always slow to evolve on offense which is why we got our ass handed to us vs Stoops every year. Too easy an offense to diagnose. Regardless, this game was on the coaches. We had an advantage at receiver. A big one. Sometimes you have to take what is available. We needed to see how good their 3rd and 4th DBs were. Just a dumb gameplan from Texas there. After the last Simms turnover we go 5 wide and get a wide open BJ up the seam. Then what do we do after that? You guessed it, go right back to what wasn't working. Punt, FG, missed FG, FG. Then when the game is pretty much over on our last drive we go 5 wide again and score another TD. I get blaming Simms but you had an advantage and didn't use it. Then Ced goes out giving you all the excuse in the world to use that advantage and you still stubbornly didn't use it.

3 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Mid QB arguments not going away

1 hour ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Remember when Simms came to practice in a limo?

Also remember when him and the 49ers coach and those other guys all tattooed each other’s initials on their ankles?

1 hour ago, scottsins said:

Incorrect. They all had the letter “W” tattooed on them, to signify their connection with the movie “The Wood”. Not sure if that’s worse than each others initials or not, TBH.

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

Pretty sure that story was b.s.

there is a reason the team liked Simms more.

55 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Fuck Simms, he lost me when they cut to him laughing on the sideline when Applewhite threw a pick.

45 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Baby Running GIF - Baby Running Oops - Discover & Share GIFs

16 minutes ago, hook me said:

Angry Mf GIF by Team Coco

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

On one of the evening IT Live shows Rod Babers was talking about how Simms hasn't been back to the university since he left and that her personally saw Simms tires slit and shit smeared on his car. 

8 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

Season 3 What GIF by The Lonely Island

7 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

I can’t pick between the oh no anyway gif or the puppet looking side to side gif.

Childs should starts.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Horn Dogg said:

Probably because Major fucked Ricky’s girl (allegedly)

After what happened with Major as offensive coordinator I don't doubt it.

Look I have nothing against Chris Simms. He came here and did as well as he could. He just sucked in the big games. We have certainly had worse players come through here. I just get annoyed when people try to convince me what obviously happened, did not happen.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Valmy77 said:

Look I have nothing against Chris Simms. He came here and did as well as he could. He just sucked in the big games. We have certainly had worse players come through here. I just get annoyed when people try to convince me what obviously happened, did not happen.

People praising Applewhite when he was just as shit as Simms is always the kicker for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

Fuck Simms, he lost me when they cut to him laughing on the sideline when Applewhite threw a pick.

Applewhite was an asshole and that's straight from guys in the LR. So I give Simms a pass especially how he was treated.

Also to the guys rolling their eyes about the discussion. It's essentially the off season. We got a damn month to fill.

18 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I  know nothing about Vince's personal life, but I will go out on a limb and wager that Street got better pussy.

I can assure you that there are a ton of curious Coeds who "want to know" so you may be wrong.

10 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

What, 8 picks in 3 games against Oklahoma? Texas has a higher standard than that. There is a reason we have a "Peter the Great". Those teams had a ton of talent on them too.

30 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

People praising Applewhite when he was just as shit as Simms is always the kicker for me.

Applewhite was shit against Kansas State. And probably a few other horrible games in there I am forgetting.

But Kansas State isn't OU. Is this some new piece of information? That Texas vs. KSU and Texas vs. OU are different things?

The OU game is different. Sure Peter Gardere was a HORRIBLE QB in many games. Just go back and check out some of those games against Baylor where he went 1-3. But he will always be revered because of going 4-0 against OU because struggling against Baylor will quickly be forgotten...even the 1989 game.

That is why people praise Gardere and Applewhite and not Simms. Even though I am sure if you compare their stats Simms was probably better overall. But if you want to be remembered as a good QB at Texas, beat OU. At least once. Vince, Ehlinger, Heard, both McCoys, James Brown, Ewers, and even Rick McIvor and Donnie Little all had their day in the Cotton Bowl. Simms didn't (well he did, just not against OU), he was horrible in every single matchup with OU. And not just horrible but legendarily horrible. His lowlight gets shown every October.

But if he had beaten Colorado he would have been a legend anyway. The fact that Applewhite came off the bench and almost pulled it off and led that comeback against Washington certainly doesn't help. Granted maybe James Brown or Vince Young coming off the bench comes all the way back and beats Colorado, but just coming in and NOT being horrendous for a little over two quarters turned a 19 point deficit into a 2 point one.

Edited by Valmy77

26 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Applewhite was an asshole and that's straight from guys in the LR. So I give Simms a pass especially how he was treated.

Also to the guys rolling their eyes about the discussion. It's essentially the off season. We got a damn month to fill.

I can assure you that there are a ton of curious Coeds who "want to know" so you may be wrong.

counterpoint:

farrah-fawcett-1-scaled.jpg

• Drool 1

27 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Its pretty simple for me. In the Big 12 Championship game, we win we go to the Mythical National Championship game because of chaos. There was no reason to not expect to win as we destroyed them earlier in the season.. Simms proceeds to throw the ball to the other team(Colorado)...........repeatedly. 4 turnovers resulted in 26 points.  Applewhite comes in in relief and throws for 240, mostly in the second half and almost brings us back.

Applewhite starts the Holliday bowl and sets passing records(443 and 4 TDs) The pick Major threw in that game early, they panned to Simms and he was having a good ole time laughing his ass off. Fuck Chris Simms for what could have been. That is why so may people hate him. Very similar to why people hate on Blake Gideon.........What could have been. I will say, the  Simms choke job was much, much worse.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

In 2001, 3 of Simms’ INT’s weren’t really his fault. Also, our defense struggled because we weren’t prepared for some old dude in knee braces named Jason White running all over us.

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

But if he had beaten Colorado he would have been a legend anyway. The fact that Applewhite came off the bench and almost pulled it off and led that comeback against Washington certainly doesn't help. Granted maybe James Brown or Vince Young coming off the bench comes all the way back and beats Colorado, but just coming in and NOT being horrendous for a little over two quarters turned a 19 point deficit into a 2 point one.

We were Freshman Phil Geigar roughing the punter away from completing the comeback.  Major was poised for one last drive after we held them on 3rd down.  The young buck got too exuberant and it cost us.  He ended up being a fine player out of Evangel, but not to be that fateful night in Dallas.  I watched that game from Ricks on Bourbon st, the night of my bachelor party

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Ricky pretty much confirmed the story in an interview recently, saying his girlfriend left him for another player but didn’t name anyone.  

That girl is currently Mrs. Applewhite.  She lived in Dobie.  I'd run into Ricky in the elevator a couple of times per month.

On 12/2/2023 at 7:57 PM, hobbes2702 said:

I remember Dodd Johnson at a camp when I was in high school telling everyone about how they shouldn’t dip but then following it with “but man it gets me focused and can see the ball so much better when I hit with a dip in”. 

RIP

He was my private instructor and coach for a couple of years. Great guy and taught me a ton. Died horribly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

Cool, except Chance Mock and Nordgren (who were the ones talking to Simms) said after the game that one of them said something to Simms like “if it had been you that just threw that pick, they wouldn’t let you back on campus” and Simms and the other guy started laughing. But it’s a better Major suck-off story to say Simms was a bad Longhorn and laughed at Major throwing an interception (I think Applewhite threw 4 INTs in that Holiday Bowl vs UW)

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

5 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

We were Freshman Phil Geigar roughing the punter away from completing the comeback.  Major was poised for one last drive after we held them on 3rd down.  The young buck got too exuberant and it cost us.  He ended up being a fine player out of Evangel, but not to be that fateful night in Dallas.  I watched that game from Ricks on Bourbon st, the night of my bachelor party

I watched it from the reception of Russell Gaskamp's wedding.

6 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Cool, except Chance Mock and Nordgren (who were the ones talking to Simms) said after the game that one of them said something to Simms like “if it had been you that just threw that pick, they wouldn’t let you back on campus” and Simms and the other guy started laughing. But it’s a better Major suck-off story to say Simms was a bad Longhorn and laughed at Major throwing an interception (I think Applewhite threw 4 INTs in that Holiday Bowl vs UW)

I literally DGAF. If he was in tune with the game, as a back up QB should have been, he wouldn't be laughing and neither should those other two fucks. He also shouldn't have thrown 3 picks in the CCG or 8 picks against OU. You ain't winning this argument.

Applewhite in the Holiday bowl 37 of 55, 4 TDs and 3 picks and gets what, we won. I watched that shit live dude. Where were you?

5 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Bradley went on the become a damn good defensive back

After losing the starting QB job to Street, Bradley converted to DB and had perhaps the greatest game ever for a UT defensive back:

4 INTs ... in a single game against ... you guessed it .... Aggy! 

That feat deserves some love on this site. 

-- My dad said it was such an epic performance -- man among boys -- that if it happened with today's media coverage, it would be utterly legendary in Longhorn lore. Yes, Bradley went on to become All-Pro with the Eagles and was a helluva punter. My dad (RIP) said Bradley was one of the best DBs he ever saw at Texas.

Edited by BevoAbyss
typo.
  • Hook 'Em 4

You're all missing the Goddamned point with this Simms-Applewhite-Mock-Nordgren bullshit, and you should all shut the fuck up.

Instead, can we talk about those stupid Jeff Davis commercials with Ewers? Who's advising this kid? Because they're making him look like he should be wearing a plaid suit and selling used cars by the airport with no credit check.

I have a question. Hear me out, I know I know, but it's about Quinn Ewers.

Can someone explain why Ewers has a better QB rating in the second half? Is the entire first half scripted? I have heard references to this. 

Second but related question. Why does Quinn never appear to audible out of bad plays? I will hang up and listen.

• Hook 'Em 1