Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers

Zeus

16 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

2-0 as a starter for us which allowed for a big 12 championship and a playoff game.

He got lucky as fuck in the K State game that we didn't lose. He made some good throws too, but like the earlier poster said, many gift interceptions dropped in both of his starts. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I thought Murphy was just awful last year for us.  Inaccurate.  Afraid of contact.  Panicky.  He was lucky DBs on the other team dropped several gift interceptions.

He didn't look good in the Spring game for Duke either.

We will see.  I have been wrong plenty.  But I think it is more likely than not that he won't be very good at Duke.

I don't think anyone is upset he transferred or disagrees with your assessment of his issues. He still looks like a FR QB.

But it seems extreme to say that he's not any good as a football player. He is very raw and missed a lot of development due to injury. It is what it is, but he has the talent and the attitude to improve as a QB. Whatever Sark saw in him is still there, and it's apparent from watching that video. 

Your post also comes off as a bit dickish, but this is Surly so people shouldn't get their panties in a wad. 

9 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Flashes of brilliance marred by many wtf throws and easy misses. The talent is there. The decision making and consistency is not. 

His biggest question mark is accuracy. 

Is that a developed/learned skill at his age?  The arm talent and size are there. 

1 hour ago, Frank Drebin said:

I thought Murphy was just awful last year for us.  Inaccurate.  Afraid of contact.  Panicky.  He was lucky DBs on the other team dropped several gift interceptions.

He didn't look good in the Spring game for Duke either.

We will see.  I have been wrong plenty.  But I think it is more likely than not that he won't be very good at Duke.

I've honestly never understood the mindset evidenced by this post. He was the backup here, and was hurt for long stretches, both of which combine to make it obvious that he's still going to be very raw. But he wasn't our starter, so he wasn't forced down our throats. And when he did get thrust into the fire, he played his tail off and we won, with obvious things that would be a problem were he a long-term starter, which were discussed here ad nauseum. But guess what? once Quinn was healthy, then Maalik didn't play anymore. So in some regards, the coaches agreed with you. And then, he got passed up by Arch on the depth chart. So again, the coaches agreed with you. Now he's getting his shot at Duke. And if he sucks, you know what will happen? He won't play.

Kid hasn't been handed a single thing as a D1 football player, and by all accounts is an exceptional teammate and an exceptional human. I don't understand what makes you post something like "I thought he was awful." To be clear, I'm asking why you would POST that; I don't begrudge you THINKING it. Maybe he is awful, but what does your post add to this conversation, at this point?  If he were our starter, and we were discussing his deficiencies and how they're holding us back, then your post is spot-on. Lord knows this place can do QB controversy with the best in the world. But that's not this thread. This thread is wishing a solid kid good luck, who has arguably been placed perfectly on the depth chart his entire time here. So why throw rocks? It's just not additive in any way, and it feels like you just want something to be mad about. Maybe start with our interior DL, instead of the kid that kept our name in the national championship conversation last year?

• Hook 'Em 8

36 minutes ago, capnamerca said:

I've honestly never understood the mindset evidenced by this post. He was the backup here, and was hurt for long stretches, both of which combine to make it obvious that he's still going to be very raw. But he wasn't our starter, so he wasn't forced down our throats. And when he did get thrust into the fire, he played his tail off and we won, with obvious things that would be a problem were he a long-term starter, which were discussed here ad nauseum. But guess what? once Quinn was healthy, then Maalik didn't play anymore. So in some regards, the coaches agreed with you. And then, he got passed up by Arch on the depth chart. So again, the coaches agreed with you. Now he's getting his shot at Duke. And if he sucks, you know what will happen? He won't play.

Kid hasn't been handed a single thing as a D1 football player, and by all accounts is an exceptional teammate and an exceptional human. I don't understand what makes you post something like "I thought he was awful." To be clear, I'm asking why you would POST that; I don't begrudge you THINKING it. Maybe he is awful, but what does your post add to this conversation, at this point?  If he were our starter, and we were discussing his deficiencies and how they're holding us back, then your post is spot-on. Lord knows this place can do QB controversy with the best in the world. But that's not this thread. This thread is wishing a solid kid good luck, who has arguably been placed perfectly on the depth chart his entire time here. So why throw rocks? It's just not additive in any way, and it feels like you just want something to be mad about. Maybe start with our interior DL, instead of the kid that kept our name in the national championship conversation last year?

He does not post here.  Neither does his family.  Why does it matter what I post about him?  He is a former Texas QB.  This is not Hornfans where we aren't allowed to criticize.  He seems like a great human.  I was just pretty shocked how poorly he played last year.  He looked about the same in Duke's spring game to me.

• Hook 'Em 5

The Cult of Maalik Murphy is even weirder than The Cult of Teh Major. At least Applewhite was often a productive QB at the college level who played his whole tenure with Texas. Murphy's been vehemently defended in bizarre ways since his commitment. His commitment thread remains hilarious. You have several posters at that time saying "his footwork is weak", "he's a statue in the pocket", "he's a long strider", "he's scared of contact", "he doesn't make his reads fast enough" etc., and people were howling about it. Now we have a 55 page thread on the guy and some of the posts throughout it are almost breathless panting about his potential. 

He's still the same guy. Hasn't developed a lick. He has the accuracy of a broken clock. Might be a nice guy and all, and I hope he does well at Duke and beyond because, sure, why not? That said, anybody taking comments about the outlook for the guy personally must have other weird shit going on. 

• Hook 'Em 3

49 minutes ago, Chooky said:

I hope it really goes well for him. There was a moment last year where I selfishly hoped he would stay for more qb depth on this roster. Those concerns were put to rest Saturday. 

I don't know, he'd give Owens a decent battle for third string QB, I suppose.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, capnamerca said:

That post wouldnt even rank in the bottom 1000 of this board. You might be more comfortable on hornfans.com. 

• Hook 'Em 4

17 minutes ago, Chooky said:

The worst thing I've seen said about Murphy in the last week was that highlight video. 

yeah that "highlight" video was rough to watch especially after what Owens did Saturday. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

The Cult of Maalik Murphy is even weirder than The Cult of Teh Major. At least Applewhite was often a productive QB at the college level who played his whole tenure with Texas. Murphy's been vehemently defended in bizarre ways since his commitment. His commitment thread remains hilarious. You have several posters at that time saying "his footwork is weak", "he's a statue in the pocket", "he's a long strider", "he's scared of contact", "he doesn't make his reads fast enough" etc., and people were howling about it. Now we have a 55 page thread on the guy and some of the posts throughout it are almost breathless panting about his potential. 

He's still the same guy. Hasn't developed a lick. He has the accuracy of a broken clock. Might be a nice guy and all, and I hope he does well at Duke and beyond because, sure, why not? That said, anybody taking comments about the outlook for the guy personally must have other weird shit going on. 

tenor.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

I like Maalik and all and the fact that he was willing to work behind two guys that had more potential then him. Yet it is best to take the word of Mike Leach when it comes to consistently missing wide open passes.

Spoiler

Mike Leach: "If a quarterback isn't accurate, you shouldn't recruit him"

"People make this mistake all over the country, and everybody can think of one, but there will be a guy who is big, strong and athletic, and everyone gets tempted by speed and if someone has a super strong arm."

"Then they say 'Well all he has to do is work on his accuracy. Well ok. He won't be accurate in high school. Then some college will take him, and then he won't be accurate there, and then the NFL says 'all he has to do is work on his accuracy,' and they'll take him there, and he won't be accurate there and then he'll be out of the league."

"The thing that's amazing to me, is that after all of high school he's not accurate, and now all of a sudden you're special and you're going to make him accurate? And then after college he's not accurate, and you're special and you're going to make him accurate? I just haven't seen that happen. I've seen guys improve, but they don't all of a sudden become accurate."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

He's threw some of the worst interceptions I've ever seen last year.  It's way beyond an accuracy problem.  They weren't the |"Oh, he didn't see a defender underneath or a pass sailed on him and got tipped up and picked off."  They were what in the actual fuck was he looking at on that play?

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

I like Maalik and all and the fact that he was willing to work behind two guys that had more potential then him. Yet it is best to take the word of Mike Leach when it comes to consistently missing wide open passes.

Hide contents

Mike Leach: "If a quarterback isn't accurate, you shouldn't recruit him"

"People make this mistake all over the country, and everybody can think of one, but there will be a guy who is big, strong and athletic, and everyone gets tempted by speed and if someone has a super strong arm."

"Then they say 'Well all he has to do is work on his accuracy. Well ok. He won't be accurate in high school. Then some college will take him, and then he won't be accurate there, and then the NFL says 'all he has to do is work on his accuracy,' and they'll take him there, and he won't be accurate there and then he'll be out of the league."

"The thing that's amazing to me, is that after all of high school he's not accurate, and now all of a sudden you're special and you're going to make him accurate? And then after college he's not accurate, and you're special and you're going to make him accurate? I just haven't seen that happen. I've seen guys improve, but they don't all of a sudden become accurate."

Josh Allen is the only example I can think of, where an inaccurate college QB, in his second or third year in the NFL, somehow miraculously developed accuracy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Is it a foregone conclusion that MM will be the starter at Duke? 

Admittedly I was a Murphy apologist of sorts.  Not that I thought he should be a starter at Texas, but I rooted for him to succeed and defended him against the mob...mostly because I defend all Longhorn players.

Anyway, I was happy to see him getting a fresh start somewhere else, but he looks even worse in that Duke Spring Game video than I remember.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Murphy has had a qb coach since like 7th grade.  He did the camp circuit in high school and worked with a pretty highly regarded offensive coach for a couple more years at Texas.  Anything is possible, but the odds of someone magically fixing his problem at this point in his career aren't great.

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

He's threw some of the worst interceptions I've ever seen last year.  It's way beyond an accuracy problem.  They weren't the |"Oh, he didn't see a defender underneath or a pass sailed on him and got tipped up and picked off."  They were what in the actual fuck was he looking at on that play?

You know who else threw some awful interceptions as a freshman?  Ehlinger…

11 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Agreed, battering ram would be more accurate. My bad. 

Season GP Passing Rushing
Cmp Att Pct Yds TD Int QBR Att Yds Avg TD
2020      10 194 322 60 2566 26 5   150.7 113 377 3.3   8

Passer rating his senior year was 150. 

Michael Penix's rating this year was 157.  Quinn was 159. 

He was pure ass as a freshman. He threw a completely fucked up INT to cost us a game late in the year. CTJ took to calling him I Am Sam and other nicknames. We argued a lot about whether he would be good, I said he would be. After the Gilbert/Case/Tyrone era, he was our first decent QB in maybe a decade and it was glorious. 

Edited by Thetexashammer
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

His biggest question mark is accuracy. 

Is that a developed/learned skill at his age?  The arm talent and size are there. 

I believe The Pirate said you can't teach accuracy. No?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Maalik was never as bad as the dumb drunk mfers in game day threads and this one want to present.  At the same time, spilling cum because someone throws the balls 50 yards across body was/is/should be neg worthy in recruiting threads that the same people who can’t run 100/200/400 yds gatekeep. 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

I believe The Pirate said you can't teach accuracy. No?

Yep, also said and fits here...

"People make this mistake all over the country, and everybody can think of one, but there will be a guy who is big, strong and athletic, and everyone gets tempted by speed and if someone has a super strong arm. I've seen guys improve, but they don't all of a sudden become accurate."

2 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Maalik was never as bad as the dumb drunk mfers in game day threads and this one want to present.  At the same time, spilling cum because someone throws the balls 50 yards across body was/is/should be neg worthy in recruiting threads that the same people who can’t run 100/200/400 yds gatekeep. 

I want you to explain this post just so I can see if it's you or if I have CTE.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Chooky said:

I think he’s saying he keeps cups of cum and only people that run track as middle aged adults know football

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

image.gif.47c91c4ba6da1a14dc8fa264806a6aa5.gif

10 hours ago, Chooky said:

Sure. The recruiting board is run by fats who reneg on physical races. You can find that on this message board. These same people think they have inside scoops on players and coaches cause they rattle off some new script every offseason. They are the same people who spill cum in commitment threads when they gif blast themselves over no sunshine, forearm girth, and calf sizes, then celebrate their departures to the transfer portal as quick as they can put on new shorts. The overreaction from the Kansas State game in this thread was hilariously over the top, when it was Maalik who put it back together after he and Jonathan Brooks both gave them easy touchdowns.

12 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Yep, also said and fits here...

"People make this mistake all over the country, and everybody can think of one, but there will be a guy who is big, strong and athletic, and everyone gets tempted by speed and if someone has a super strong arm. I've seen guys improve, but they don't all of a sudden become accurate."

This seems to be true in every sport, but especially baseball.

"All that guy has to do is learn to control his fastball!" 

"If he can learn to lay off the breaking ball..."

Yeah...

49 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Sure. The recruiting board is run by fats who reneg on physical races. You can find that on this message board. These same people think they have inside scoops on players and coaches cause they rattle off some new script every offseason. They are the same people who spill cum in commitment threads when they gif blast themselves over no sunshine, forearm girth, and calf sizes, then celebrate their departures to the transfer portal as quick as they can put on new shorts. The overreaction from the Kansas State game in this thread was hilariously over the top, when it was Maalik who put it back together after he and Jonathan Brooks both gave them easy touchdowns.

Ah. You were supposed to race someone?

Murphy seems like a good dude and had a good record as a starter here even if he wasn't perfect in those games. I was pretty frustrated during the K State game, but not just at Murphy. 

As far as the recruiting board goes, it seems like people who like to posture over having insider info or exclusive access when they really don't get revealed pretty quick in that forum by the people who do. I don't know. 

I don't need to be informed about the sperm thing. 

56 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

"reneg" is like when I go upthread to neg other idiotic, incoherent posts of yours. 

You meant "renege" and you know about as much in regard to football or recruiting as you do about grammar, dummy.

That you think Maalik Murphy is why Texas won the KSU game, or was at all a positive contributor in that game, is laughable but predictable.