We've lost 8 of our last 11

TexArcher

5 minutes ago, Vermin said:

Card had a 160 QB rating, which is acceptable.

The problem on offense was running up the middle into brick walls repeatedly. Take away the 40 yard Bijan TD run and Card's 22 yard scramble,  and you have 3.1 ypc.

so take away the good plays and the rest don't look so good?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, hookem48 said:

so take away the good plays and the rest don't look so good?

The median play is a much more useful metric than the average.

If you have a 99 yard TD run, then have 19 runs for 0 yards, you have ~5.0 ypc, but your offense is horrendous since you aren't getting first downs.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Aren’t almost all of the loses very small point differentials and blown leads?   In most cases the offense scored 30+ pts?  
PK needs to go. 

This is very true. Part of the issue though, as shown yesterday, is Sark not understanding how to control the tempo of a game. Part of that obviously is the inability of the offense to get enough first downs and the defense not stopping 4ths. Part of it also is not utilizing smart run packages, continuing to run tempo with a lead, and going away from quick hitters to keep to ahead of the downs 

• Hook 'Em 1

I have no doubt Ewers will give us the shot in the arm that will lead us to a decent season(8-4). If you score 30+ points in a game you should win every time and we will do that with Ewers. The issue is that Sark looks like he’s with PK until he is forced by Del Conte to fire him. That defense is the thing that’s going to hold us back from getting to where we want to be unless the scheme philosophy changes. The talent is there. The strategy not so much. I just don’t know who we get to replace him if Patterson is not interested in getting that involved 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

It looks like Charlie Strong didn’t even have a 3-8 stretch here (he was on a 3-7 stretch when we fired him).  Are we in uncharted territory since Ed Price in the fucking 1950s?  Or did McWilliams ever reach that level of futility?

Sark is just full of surprises.

The record is one thing but it's the teams he's played that really makes you shake your head. 

This could easily be 7-4 if Sark beat the mediocre and bad teams. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The Sark hire made zero sense to me at the time. I thought the likelihood of Herman managing to be slightly better/more consistent and turn a couple of really close losses into wins was higher than Sark putting it all together. Herman never got blown out, he just needed to find a way to get one more score or one more stop per game and suddenly it would’ve been 10+ wins. Sark’s first year was full of moments worse than the worst of Herman’s tenure, and if I had to lay money I’d say Sark isn’t the guy  

That said, playing the game we all had to play with Tom Herman the last couple years, Sark is currently two big plays away from being 4-0 with a win over Bama. Or one, if we don’t get fucked out of a safety by an especially egregious call in the Bama game. Maybe Quinn Ewers is worth +1 scoring drives per game, maybe not. Maybe he finds the defense that showed up to the Bama game again, maybe not. But with everything that has gone wrong, so far this season, we’re actually not ALL that far off the mark. I didn’t expect to be this close at this point. It leaves room for a glimmer of hope that the ship could be righted. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

One of the most painful things is just like Tom in those last 8 losses we have lost them by an average of 7 points. And almost half of that average comes from the ISU shitshow. The other 7 were lost by an average of a little over 4.5 points.

That’s taking not getting it done in crunch time to an excruciating extreme.

I never got the fascination/hype/anticipation many did with either the Herman hire or the Sark hire.  I expected very little from either and I was correct.  I also think our recruiting is a complete strategic tragedy.  How many fucking years in a row do we need it to get it through our fucking heads that 4-star high school players in Texas doesn't mean jack-fucking-shit.  Every fucking year almost we get some of the best and biggest from the Lone Star State, and it does not pan out.  At all.  The ranking system is flawed I guess.  

Admittedly, I was very excited about the Charlie Strong hire.  I think we all were given the last few years of Mack's tenure.  Good news is I'm honest about how naive I was back then regarding UT football.  But I didn't know shit about fuck.  Bad news is, Sark does not appear to know whit about fuck either.  And there's a slight disparity in our paygrades that suggests he should know slightly more shit about a hint more fuck.

Listen, I wasn’t happy about the Sark hire but Tom had to go.  Recruiting was in the shitter and his players hated him.  Half the issues we have on offense are because he didn’t recruit any OL worth a damn.  This team would be just as bad and we wouldn’t have Ewers or Worthy.  We’d be running his stupid power spread with Card and Herb Hand and his band of a Max Merrill’s.

Edited by victory88
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

It looks like Charlie Strong didn’t even have a 3-8 stretch here (he was on a 3-7 stretch when we fired him).  Are we in uncharted territory since Ed Price in the fucking 1950s?  Or did McWilliams ever reach that level of futility?

Sark is just full of surprises.

Unfortunately I had to live McWilliams 2-8 (Last 7 games of 1988/1st 3 games of 1989). But yes it has been a while and never thought I would have to even remotely compare to those days. This one of the worst (there were so many to choose from though!). Announced attendance was 49,000 (out of 77,800) which means there were realistically 30,000-40,00 empty seats. God that was depressing. At least we had the strippers to entertain us!

Baylor (5-6,4-4) vs. Texas (5-5,4-3)
Date: Nov 25, 1989  Site: Austin, Texas         Stadium: Memorial Stadium
Attendance: 49081

Score by Quarters     1  2  3  4   Score
-----------------    -- -- -- --   -----
Baylor.............. 10  7 26  7  - 50
Texas...............  0  0  0  7  -  7

6 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Listen, I wasn’t happy about the Sark hire but Tom had to go.  Recruiting was in the shitter and his players hated him.  Half the issues we have on offense are because he didn’t recruit any OL worth a damn.  This team would be just as bad and we wouldn’t have Ewers or Worthy.  We’d be running his stupid power spread with Card and Herb Hand and his band of a Max Merrill’s.

It's true, but the mere fact that we need to reassure ourselves of this is a pretty damning indictment of the Sark hire.

10 hours ago, DiceHands said:

Sark will survive another 5-7 season until we get Arch firmly on campus.  After that, his ass is fucking toast if we have a third straight year of 5-7 esque football with 0 improvements. And I say this as someone who is tired of the revolving door at the HC and coordinator positions. I want Sark to be the guy and to work out.  We need to give him time, but if the outcome every year looks like this, he cant stay.

So yes, back to the 4th? 5th rebuild in 15 years.  Ive fucking lost count at this point.

The game has changed, there’s no such thing as firmly on campus anymore.   Recruiting will tank if we keep this up, a lame duck coach is easy to recruit against and if kids aren’t seeing money, development and wins there are plenty of places where they can get all 3.   

And not only can your class fall apart, you could start seeing valuable players hit the portal because there are no penalties for transferring now.   Add in the waivers players are getting and it’s basically wide open free agency without a salary cap.

So pay Patterson $5M to be CoHC with complete autonomy over defense, give Sark just the offense, then hire a donkey or that chicken that can do math or whatever as game day CEO and I think we have a better shot than our current set up.   

8 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

The game has changed, there’s no such thing as firmly on campus anymore.   Recruiting will tank if we keep this up, a lame duck coach is easy to recruit against and if kids aren’t seeing money, development and wins there are plenty of places where they can get all 3.   

And not only can your class fall apart, you could start seeing valuable players hit the portal because there are no penalties for transferring now.   Add in the waivers players are getting and it’s basically wide open free agency without a salary cap.

So pay Patterson $5M to be CoHC with complete autonomy over defense, give Sark just the offense, then hire a donkey or that chicken that can do math or whatever as game day CEO and I think we have a better shot than our current set up.   

This is what worries me in the new wild west of NIL/Transfer (Free Agency) that CFB has become. Nothing stopping anyone from G(ing)TFO these days.

13 hours ago, Goredho said:

There will be time to take the fentanyl after the season if it turns out to be as abysmal as you think it will be.

Please let us know when this time will come and a good supplier. This seems like a much more peaceful way to go out than the aneurism I am due to suffer from watching this fucking pathetic football team. 

• Haha 1

Tom did enough to get fired, but not enough that just anyone would be an upgrade. I think the job he did here was far from excellence but still underrated, enough so that I think his firing without a clear upgrade lined up and his failure to get another job must mean there’s something to all the rumors about off the field problems. Otherwise most G5 programs would be lucky to have a coach with his resume.

Unfortunately I had to live McWilliams 2-8 (Last 7 games of 1988/1st 3 games of 1989). But yes it has been a while and never thought I would have to even remotely compare to those days. This one of the worst (there were so many to choose from though!). Announced attendance was 49,000 (out of 77,800) which means there were realistically 30,000-40,00 empty seats. God that was depressing. At least we had the strippers to entertain us!
Baylor (5-6,4-4) vs. Texas (5-5,4-3)Date: Nov 25, 1989  Site: Austin, Texas         Stadium: Memorial StadiumAttendance: 49081Score by Quarters     1  2  3  4   Score-----------------    -- -- -- --   -----Baylor.............. 10  7 26  7  - 50Texas...............  0  0  0  7  -  7

I was there.

Sark can’t make adjustments. PK can’t competently game plan to begin with. Sark assumes  the “squat to pee” position in every second half while he gazes aimlessly at the field wondering why his plays stopped working. PK calls games like a broken AI bot that can’t compute down and distance. Until this changes, seven wins is the ceiling.

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I never got the fascination/hype/anticipation many did with either the Herman hire or the Sark hire.  I expected very little from either and I was correct.  I also think our recruiting is a complete strategic tragedy.  How many fucking years in a row do we need it to get it through our fucking heads that 4-star high school players in Texas doesn't mean jack-fucking-shit.  Every fucking year almost we get some of the best and biggest from the Lone Star State, and it does not pan out.  At all.  The ranking system is flawed I guess.  

Admittedly, I was very excited about the Charlie Strong hire.  I think we all were given the last few years of Mack's tenure.  Good news is I'm honest about how naive I was back then regarding UT football.  But I didn't know shit about fuck.  Bad news is, Sark does not appear to know whit about fuck either.  And there's a slight disparity in our paygrades that suggests he should know slightly more shit about a hint more fuck.

the Charlie Strong hire was an "OK whatever, I guess at least the D should be good" deal.  Sark was slightly above that because he had some NFL chops and was the supposed QB whisperer.  Herman had a bunch of juice because of bidding war with LSU(supposedly) and he had beaten OU/FSU.

All of them had limited pedigree as a head coach G5 and meh P5.  We basically look to hire a guy we think we can get for around 5M per.  Strong hire was a bit of different animal but still similar.

On 9/24/2022 at 7:02 PM, Assman said:

Funny how many people negged me when I made the above comment after the Bama game.  The team and program are what they are:  A bunch of under-achieving, under-performing, out-coached, out-played, soft vaginas that think they have made it when they sign their LOI.  We hardly ever match the opposing team's intensity, and when we do, it usually amounts to a "good" loss against a better team (OU, LSU, Bama, etc).  It doesn't matter who the coach is or how many 5-stars we sign, it's the same shit.  Our entire season now hinges on whether or not the second-coming of mullet Jesus can play well enough to cover up the rest of this team's and staff's inadequacies. 

Quoting yourself is bitch made no matter the circumstances 

8 hours ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

But with everything that has gone wrong, so far this season, we’re actually not ALL that far off the mark. I didn’t expect to be this close at this point.

That is what every Nebraska fan said early in Scott Frost's 2nd year.

12 hours ago, Vermin said:

Retreads almost never work out. The Lane Kiffin situation where you go through the Nick Saban car wash and come out a decent coach is a major outlier.

Well, we tried two non-retreads and that did nothing for us either. So you keep trying again and again until something works. We're on the Tennessee plan. They're finally decent...until they play Alabama and Georgia.  

17 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Obviously, his recruiting had tanked and there were other factors for additional context, but Tom Herman was 8-3 in his last 11 games at Texas with an average score of 42-27 in favor of Texas.

spacer.png

Give Ehlinger to Sark last year instead of a banged-up Thompson and what kind of season do you get? 8-9 wins maybe?

Strong was hamstrung from Day 1 when he was left with Tyrone Swoopes as his starting QB after Ash went down. Strong compounded things by not fixing that problem ASAP and his tenure was doomed from that point.

On 9/25/2022 at 10:36 AM, DiceHands said:

Sark will survive another 5-7 season until we get Arch firmly on campus.  After that, his ass is fucking toast if we have a third straight year of 5-7 esque football with 0 improvements. And I say this as someone who is tired of the revolving door at the HC and coordinator positions. I want Sark to be the guy and to work out.  We need to give him time, but if the outcome every year looks like this, he cant stay.

So yes, back to the 4th? 5th rebuild in 15 years.  Ive fucking lost count at this point.

Tell me more about Arch firmly on campus in the era of free transfers?

15 hours ago, StrippersAndNobelPrizes said:

Baylor (5-6,4-4) vs. Texas (5-5,4-3)
Date: Nov 25, 1989  Site: Austin, Texas         Stadium: Memorial Stadium
Attendance: 49081

Score by Quarters     1  2  3  4   Score
-----------------    -- -- -- --   -----
Baylor.............. 10  7 26  7  - 50
Texas...............  0  0  0  7  -  7

i was one of the 49,000... for about a half.

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Slacks beating the “defense was tired” drum is a tune as old as time. 

Go play defense for 100 plays and report back.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Slacks beating the “defense was tired” drum is a tune as old as time. 

I mean, they won the TOP 36:00 to 24:00.  Our defense was on the field 150% of the time that their defense was on the field.  And it was hot as shit.  It matters.  

None of that changes the fact that our defense wasn't very good at the start of the game.  But they sure could have used some breathers courtesy of an offense that could get some god damned first downs because the head coach is an offensive guru...

• Hook 'Em 1