Texas opens as a 5 point favorite v Oklahoma

TexasMan

18 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

I’ll just say this, Venables doesn’t strike me as a chess player.  He may have a short tenure at ou.  In the face of recent evidence to the contrary, my gut says that we have the coaching advantage here.  Sark needs to put his proverbial foot on the neck and keep it there.  If this turns into a 45-41 type of toss-up game it’s a crap shoot. We need to get out to a 3 score lead and end up a 5 or 6 score win for one ever-lovin time. 

and I hate that I even said this. 

Christ, we're in trouble. I read this post and it hit me that we're hoping for a coaching advantage this weekend. I don't know if I've seen evidence of such in more than a decade, but hey, maybe it starts this weekend!

4 hours ago, bluto said:

That first paragraph is my concern in this game for Tx. We’re sitting there late 1H and offense isn’t really clicking bc run game stymied by ou keying on it. 

If Ewers plays, OU hasn't faced a passing QB with his skill level all season or in practice. If they focus on shutting the run down, the way other teams have attempted, with that injured and inexperienced secondary, they're going to get carved up like a Thanksgiving turkey.

1 hour ago, utexas8 said:

I know someone who knows someone who knows someone.

They said that Gabriel couldn’t even put on his socks at halftime and he didn’t even know where he was after the game on the bus. They also said that all 3 qbs are practicing this week but doesn’t know who will start.

After watching the back-up last week, I'm certainly hoping to see him start. He looked absolutely abysmal. That considered, I would be highly entertained to witness them trotting out a guy who has never played FBS football before as the starting QB in the RRS. 

• Drool 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

After watching the back-up last week, I'm certainly hoping to see him start. He looked absolutely abysmal. That considered, I would be highly entertained to witness them trotting out a guy who has never played FBS football before as the starting QB in the RRS. 

I’m hoping for General Booty, sir 

Last coaching advantage was Mack Vs John Blake 24 years ago?

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Christ, we're in trouble. I read this post and it hit me that we're hoping for a coaching advantage this weekend. I don't know if I've seen evidence of such in more than a decade, but hey, maybe it starts this weekend!

If Ewers plays, OU hasn't faced a passing QB with his skill level all season or in practice. If they focus on shutting the run down, the way other teams have attempted, with that injured and inexperienced secondary, they're going to get carved up like a Thanksgiving turkey.

OU has a problem. They are really struggling with missed assignments in coverage. IF Ewers plays, Venables would love ot try and confuse him with multiple coverage looks. You just cant do that, when you already have a confused secondary. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This feels like a reverse of 2013 when we were beyond awful and beat them from the jump. If Sark can't win this one, he's never doing it. Just once I'd love to walk out at halftime not sweating and thinking that we're going to f around and lose this thing, aren't we. It's all there for you, Longhorns. You just have to take it. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

This feels like a reverse of 2013 when we beyond awful and beat them from the jump. If Sark can't win this one, he's never doing it. Just once I'd love to walk out at halftime not sweating and thinking that we're going to f around and lose this thing, aren't we. It's all there for you, Longhorns. You just have to take it. 

Ummm, yeah, about that. That's the way I felt at halftime last year.  Didn't work out so well.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

17 minutes ago, mdmost said:

This feels like a reverse of 2013 when we were beyond awful and beat them from the jump. If Sark can't win this one, he's never doing it. Just once I'd love to walk out at halftime not sweating and thinking that we're going to f around and lose this thing, aren't we. It's all there for you, Longhorns. You just have to take it. 

looked back at that game, and boy. what an insane one it was.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/332850251

highlights:

• Case Mccoy 13/21 for 190 yards + 2 TDs, 1 INT. i've never seen someone throw so many passes off his back foot. just nonstop.
  • Texas ran 60 times for 255 yards (4.3 per) - Gray AND Brown ran it 52 times for 243 (4.6 per)
  • Jaxon Shipley and Kendall Sanders had 9 of the 13 catches.
  • INT and Punt Return for TDs for Texas, Pic 6 for OU
  • OU went 2-13 on 3rd down and 0-1 on 4th and passed for 133 yards while running for 130
  • Texas won the TOP game 35 to 25 basically

Wasn't this the game where Texas just ran the shit out of the ball and Stoops never made any changes?

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I prefer specific Booty but y’all do y’all 

Me texting a friend. "Do you think we'll see General Booty this weekend?"

His wife with his phone. "Hey Red Five wants to know if y'all are gonna see a bunch of ass this weekend."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

highlights:

• Case Mccoy 13/21 for 190 yards + 2 TDs, 1 INT
  • Texas ran 60 times for 255 yards (4.3 per) - Gray AND Brown ran it 52 times for 243 (4.6 per)
  • OU went 2-13 on 3rd down and 0-1 on 4th and passed for 133 yards while running for 130

Wasn't this the game where Texas just ran the shit out of the ball and Stoops never made any changes?

After getting anus raped the two years before giving Mack Brown a perfect 4 colon perforations from the dirt burglars this was the most unexpected game ever.  I literally went scuba diving that day and had my phone off.  My KSU buddy who was on the dive with me looked the score up on his phone and started laughing uncontrollably (he hates OU too).  At first I thought he was tormenting me and so I finally cracked and asked him how bad it was and he said "You lost by minus 16" then broke out laughing again.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Zeus said:

Just like they did the right thing with Joe Mixing punching a girl in the face in light of the Ray Rice situation right?

Oh yeah that's right they covered it up and waited until he was ready to go to the NFL to release the video and minimize blowback..

image.png.97feff2cc9e16ff88677051d115874b8.png

You're comparing apples to oranges. One is a disciplinary issue (like Mixon or Dusty Dvoracek, etc) and the other is a health issue (like Bradford or Gabriel here). Even Bradford and Gabriel are different in that you're talking about a shoulder vs a brain issue. If you can point me to a time when OU ran out a brain-scrambled QB in the Stoops/Riley/Venables Era, be my guest but I just can't remember that scenario. Maybe Bomar???? I dunno.

13 minutes ago, NoName said:

highlights:

• Case Mccoy 13/21 for 190 yards + 2 TDs, 1 INT. i've never seen someone throw so many passes off his back foot. just nonstop.

there's a series of plays in this game when we have two backs running swing routes to either side of the quarterback, who noodle-arms the ball down the middle to someone named Sanders, and I thought I was looking into the future for a moment... That #DarrellWyattOffense...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Some new guy on IT hosted a pod with Teddy Lehman yesterday. Teddy was fast to say he doesn't think Gabriel will play.

Lehman made 2 points. He doesn't think you start someone that hasn't practiced all week, and Gabriel being on the sidelines not in pads tossing the ball around is not practicing.

Said podcast. I assume you were referring to Trey Elling as the new guy, and not Brian Jones.

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Tua played because they said he was never in concussion protocol. The Dolphins said it was his back. 

Of course it was all bullshit. 

Yes, but it was completely obvious to everyone that the back "story" was utter bullshit. That's why the Dolphins' doc was fired. There is no getting around the idea that Gabriel's head is what was injured at TCU.

18 minutes ago, NoName said:

highlights:

My favorite really was Charlie Strong where we just butt fucked them running option the whole game and totally dominated them physically.

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Back when David Ash was getting concussed on a regular basis... Did he ever play the week after being concussed?

Ash missed the Ole Miss game after he was concussed against BYU.  He returned after Ole Miss for the KSU game, got concussed again and never played again that season.  Made it through 1 game in 2014 before he said all of his symptoms re-occurred after a hit against New Mexico State and walked away. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Zeus said:

My favorite really was Charlie Strong where we just butt fucked them running option the whole game and totally dominated them physically.

That game came with one of the best videos the Texas team has ever released:

Edited by Eggo
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Ash missed the Ole Miss game after he was concussed against BYU.  He returned after Ole Miss for the KSU game, got concussed again and never played again that season.  Made it through 1 game in 2014 before he said all of his symptoms re-occurred after a hit against New Mexico State and walked away. 

until he came back!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Ash_(American_football)#:~:text=On April 23%2C2021 David Ash signed with the Warsaw Mets of the Polish Football League.[32] The team went 3-5 and lost in the first round of the playoffs.

You're comparing apples to oranges. One is a disciplinary issue (like Mixon or Dusty Dvoracek, etc) and the other is a health issue (like Bradford or Gabriel here). Even Bradford and Gabriel are different in that you're talking about a shoulder vs a brain issue. If you can point me to a time when OU ran out a brain-scrambled QB in the Stoops/Riley/Venables Era, be my guest but I just can't remember that scenario. Maybe Bomar???? I dunno.

My point is this: my mother’s significant other is a former ou letterman from the 60s. Played for Bud Wilkinson. (I know, I know, spare me). I have gotten to know him and some of his buddies really well over the last handful of years.

What I never realized and am acutely aware of now is that they are straight up proud of the cheating and bending any and all rules at all time. I mean, we always knew they were cheaters and we often try to insult them about it, an insult which to be effective assumes they have some form of contrition and or shame around the cheating.

They don’t. In fact it’s the complete opposite. It’s their dna and they are proud of it. The more they do it the better in their minds. They can’t do it enough. They just think we are idiots for trying to take the high ground and losing as a result.

If that staff believes that Gabriel has an iota of a chance to help them win, no amount of worry about public opinion will keep them from trotting him out. That culture doesn’t value that one bit.

If he’s too hurt to help they won’t play him. But I’m telling you, public opinion won’t factor in. The more they give the finger to public opinion the better in their minds.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

allow me to retort.....

ewers was rusty as hell on opening day after a 2-year hiatus then with 1 week of practice he was a ninja

now, if he starts on saturday after a month layoff, does he pick up from where he was in the bama game or is he rusty again?

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

allow me to retort.....

ewers was rusty as hell on opening day after a 2-year hiatus then with 1 week of practice he was a ninja

now, if he starts on saturday after a month layoff, does he pick up from where he was in the bama game or is he rusty again?

Not if, when

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

allow me to retort.....

A little rusty Ewers is infinitely better than what they’re gonna run out there at qb.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

OU has a problem. They are really struggling with missed assignments in coverage. IF Ewers plays, Venables would love ot try and confuse him with multiple coverage looks. You just cant do that, when you already have a confused secondary. 

i read somewhere that if you confuse a confused secondary, they achieve total conciousness

DOOMED