Texas opens as a 5 point favorite v Oklahoma

TexasMan

11 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Man you had to bring that up. We have yet to stop many of those. I am glad WVU was throwing behind the receivers or they were dropping those wide open slants. We have been getting killed by those since Bama and PK has not figured it out. It is almost like our corners instead of trying to guide the receiver to the outside so the sideline is used as a extra defender, instead guide them to the inside to give them a shot at the entire field.

Everything you said is correct. God damn, it's like PK is a fucking moron who thinks the next team will forget that's our weakness. Smh 

58 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This is tone deaf. It was an especially bad concussion and there is a media shitstorm right now surrounding an NFL team's handling of their QB resulting in him picking up 2 concussions in 5 days. I understand that we aren't playing on Thursday but acting like this is a run of the mill concussion protocol scenario is silly. The only ones pretending that this is "standard" will be the OU decision makers if he plays. 

Now, does OU give a shit that current concussion protocols at the highest level are being questioned? Probably not. But that's their hill to die on and letting Gabriel play Saturday could wind up getting really, really ugly if OU misses a safety blitz and that kid never plays football again. 

In case anyone hasn't actually seen what happened:

I actually hadn't seen that. Fuck that's brutal. I don't wish that on anyone.  As much as I want to play them with a full squad, I REALLY don't want him to play on Saturday. Too much risk.

If I'm his parents,I'm fucking livid if he plays and I call out the coaches. No way he plays after that,right?

23 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Sorry for the news alert…(lol) but this news imo was worth a split screen…far more so than Judge:

Beat the fuck outta OU. If ever there was a good chance of the golden hat this is it! Hookem! Hope Judge hits 62 before the game…so we aren’t subjected to him being up to bat 1000 times.🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼

I only watch Longhorn baseball. Know nothing about Poo-holes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Man you had to bring that up. We have yet to stop many of those. I am glad WVU was throwing behind the receivers or they were dropping those wide open slants. We have been getting killed by those since Bama and PK has not figured it out. It is almost like our corners instead of trying to guide the receiver to the outside so the sideline is used as a extra defender, instead guide them to the inside to give them a shot at the entire field.

We could, I don’t know, play press coverage and not give 7-10 yard cushions. I’m just spitballin here.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Skipper said:

I mean that certainly describes our 2015 team discussed above (fresh off a 40+ point beatdown @TCU) as well as our 2013 team (W) and 2014, 2016 and 2017 teams that all easily covered and lost by single digits.  All the OU teams in those years were objectively significantly "better" on paper than we are this year.  

Unless you have ever felt the energy and momentum shift in that stadium it's impossible to understand how the improbable outcomes consistently play out.  If you have, you should remember what that feels like before predicting an outcome with any confidence whatsoever.

Momentum is never so palpable as it is in the Cotton Bowl in October. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Hell we went through that with Sterlin Gilbert. It was almost like an honor thing.  “I will not throw over the middle lest I disgrace the good name of Art Briles.”  

Correct. And for a system based offense like that it’s tougher to implement opponent specific stuff that involves route combos and timing throws you rarely call.

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

This myth of us giving 7-10 yard cushions has been debunked so many times now.

We were pretty much in WVU's ass off of the LoS all game. God forbid anyone pay attention or recognize that our D is well above average and has had 4 very good showings out of 5 games played. 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

We were pretty much in WVU's ass off of the LoS all game. God forbid anyone pay attention or recognize that our D is well above average and has had 4 very good showings out of 5 games played. 

You also want to be able to mix up coverages. I see D’Shawn Jamison playing off or in bail technique a good chunk of the time because he has the closing speed to disrupt routes and break up passes. Watts on the other hand I notice does a lot more of his work closer to the LOS.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Watts on the other hand I notice does a lot more of his work closer to the LOS.

Same with JJ.

I also notice we drop multiple LBs pretty frequently which can get us into trouble - especially against mobile QBs. It's why sending 5+ at the QB seems like the right move for this team (and plenty have identified as much). 

Just not sure we have the coverage talent yet to play man in the back end and let our second level shade up front a bit more. 

Either way - not worried about OU killing us in the slant game unless Gabriel comes out 100% and we lack focus. 

(Feel free to correct anything I'm seeing wrong - just going off of the top of my head after one viewing)

Edited by ztejas

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Same with JJ.

I also notice we drop multiple LBs pretty frequently which can get us into trouble - especially against mobile QBs. It's why sending 5+ at the QB seems like the right move for this team (and plenty have identified as much). 

Just not sure we have the coverage talent yet to play man in the back end and let our second level shade up front a bit more. 

Either way - not worried about OU killing us in the slant game unless Gabriel comes out 100% and we lack focus. 

Our linebackers suck in coverage. Safeties are meh in coverage (Cook is decent, Thompson is a liability). It’s why we continually get beat over the middle on crossers/slants to slot receivers and tight ends.

But like you said, I’m not sure that worries me against OU because the Briles offense doesn’t feature a ton of those concepts.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

But like you said, I’m not sure that worries me against OU because the Briles offense doesn’t feature a ton of those concepts.

That and I don't trust their backups hitting slants under pressure even if they do want to start running it. 

If they trot Gabriel out they have bigger program issues. 

I'm hesitating to put in ink what I increasingly believe might happen this weekend. 

Is it Saturday yet? 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

This is tone deaf. It was an especially bad concussion and there is a media shitstorm right now surrounding an NFL team's handling of their QB resulting in him picking up 2 concussions in 5 days. I understand that we aren't playing on Thursday but acting like this is a run of the mill concussion protocol scenario is silly. The only ones pretending that this is "standard" will be the OU decision makers if he plays. 

Now, does OU give a shit that current concussion protocols at the highest level are being questioned? Probably not. But that's their hill to die on and letting Gabriel play Saturday could wind up getting really, really ugly if OU misses a safety blitz and that kid never plays football again. 

I had no idea it was such a cheap shot by the TCU player. Worse than the Bama hit on Ewers.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Wiler77 said:

I actually hadn't seen that. Fuck that's brutal. I don't wish that on anyone.  As much as I want to play them with a full squad, I REALLY don't want him to play on Saturday. Too much risk.

If I'm his parents,I'm fucking livid if he plays and I call out the coaches. No way he plays after that,right?

They are not willing to face the national outrage if that kid plays on Saturday.  No way.

7 hours ago, horny_gunman said:

Concussion protocols pretty much begin and end around a football week-long schedule. So the tweet is correct that if he is doing well symptoms-wise, Gabriel  won’t actually do much of anything until Friday. Then if he’s still good come Saturday, he plays.  It’s pretty standard - and especially this week. 

When Tua was injured a couple doctors, from OU, publicly stated that players shouldn't even be practicing "until at least a week." Those same doctors recommended this at the high school level which was then codified in law. 

If Gabriel is practicing on Friday they are ignoring their own doctors. Which I guess is totally OU but jesus this would even be bad for them. 

17 hours ago, Helobious said:

Never been to a red river game. Tom Herman has said momentum isn’t real, Nick Saban has said that it is. I just don’t know who to believe.

Guess that would depend on which coach you trust to navigate such a game...and come out with the win. Kissing your players before the game should create a lot of "Momentum".

6 hours ago, JGrayDBU said:

Can I bet just the under?  Wouldn't touch the main bet with a 10 foot pole.   Give me the under for five units. 

Five units is a ton for a tightwad like me. 

That's a tough number.  If it's a competitive game, Sark can drop 50.  He seems to slow things down in the second half when he has a lead.  Just my observations as a guy that always bets the over.

9 hours ago, Knighthawk said:

OU has a culture problem.   The players are not locked in like previous teams.  

I may or may not have a kid at ou and I may or may not have attended the ksu game two weeks ago and I may or may not stayed out really really late at an unnamed ou frat party with said kid where a shitload of ou players showed up at the party trying to chase tail after getting the ever living shit beat out of them by that mexican ksu qb.   

Saw the same shit in the 80s at Texas over and over.     Ou has no real pipe hitting leaders that say ‘get your ass to the field at 7 am Sunday morning to work this shit out’.     Instead they’re out partying till 2 am after an embarrassing loss.   

Hard to believe but I think our culture is far superior to ou at this point with roschon and crew.    I will be shocked if we don’t beat the shit of those fools this weekend.   

free money if you have the appetite.  

You were at your son's frat party?

6 hours ago, JGrayDBU said:

Can I bet just the under?  Wouldn't touch the main bet with a 10 foot pole.   Give me the under for five units. 

Five units is a ton for a tightwad like me. 

IF Ewers is healthy then Sark should 100% go All Gas, No Brakes and beat the fucking doors off those okie fucks.

• Hook 'Em 6

13 hours ago, ztejas said:

Run full speed and slide at the absolute last second once the guy is already going in for the tackle, then bitch that you got hit. 

Fuck off okie turds.

11 hours ago, Knighthawk said:

OU has a culture problem.   The players are not locked in like previous teams.  

I may or may not have a kid at ou and I may or may not have attended the ksu game two weeks ago and I may or may not stayed out really really late at an unnamed ou frat party with said kid where a shitload of ou players showed up at the party trying to chase tail after getting the ever living shit beat out of them by that mexican ksu qb.   

Saw the same shit in the 80s at Texas over and over.     Ou has no real pipe hitting leaders that say ‘get your ass to the field at 7 am Sunday morning to work this shit out’.     Instead they’re out partying till 2 am after an embarrassing loss.   

Hard to believe but I think our culture is far superior to ou at this point with roschon and crew.    I will be shocked if we don’t beat the shit of those fools this weekend.   

free money if you have the appetite.  

Winning creates chemistry and even culture to an extent, not vice versa. Someday most fans will figure this out. The media never will because they don't want to figure it out. If they did then they'd have to actually work in the offseason and fall camps instead of writing the exact same story every year for every team. You know, the one about how the team is really locked in and they've developed or are developing much better chemistry this season. How the staff really sees the culture they want to instill taking hold. 

My high school team sucked. After we usually got beat we'd go to the parties after the game. And we would occasionally see guys who played for the state finalists at the same parties. We didn't suck because we went to parties after losing. We sucked because we were untalented and poorly coached. 

• Hook 'Em 5

I hate OU, but I don't think they'll play Gabriel after that hit.  Not with the Tua stuff.  They can't, all eyes are now on football and concussion protocols. 

They'll spend all week doing a "will he/won't he" just like we've been doing with Ewers, but he won't play. 

10 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

If Ewers is healthy, we can score 40+ on those land thieving godless sister fuckers

We put up 38 on them in the first half last year with Casey fucking Thompson as the QB, 2 offensive linemen, & no TE against a better OU defense/team that wasn't having near the injury issues this one has.

Yeah, I think we may be able to hang 40 on OU this weekend if Ewers plays. Hell, Card may be able to put 40 up if it's competitive & Sark realizes that we need to keep scoring.

6 minutes ago, hook me said:

We put up 38 on them in the first half last year with Casey fucking Thompson as the QB, 2 offensive linemen, & no TE against a better OU defense/team that wasn't having near the injury issues this one has.

Yeah, I think we may be able to hang 40 on OU this weekend if Ewers plays. Hell, Card may be able to put 40 up if it's competitive & Sark realizes that we need to keep scoring.

We just don’t have a huge history of scoring a ton of points in this game. I’m never confident but that’s because I went to college in the early 2000s and was broken

8 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

We just don’t have a huge history of scoring a ton of points in this game. I’m never confident but that’s because I went to college in the early 2000s and was broken

We've averaged 37 points while losing the last 4 years. Scoring hasn't been the problem. 

If you want to worry then worry about how this series is determined by big momentum changing plays but our defense is predicated on the exact opposite. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

That is true. 

But we have put up 30+ 5 times in the past decade and 40+ in 4 of the last 6 games.  We only had two 40+ point games under Mack Brown, his two best teams in 2005 and 2008. 

2013 - 36 (W)
2016 - 40 (L)
2018 - 48 (W)
2020 - 45 (OT L)
2021 - 48 (L)

We are finally putting up points in Dallas.  We just can't stop them, but we also have hit some really potent OU offenses under LR with some elite QBs. 

Edited by Js1

11 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

A big complaint from OU people has been that they rarely use the middle of the field in the passing game.

That’s been a complaint of the Briles system for a long time now.

I still remember this game vividly-- Briles diced them with 5-yard slants every snap all the way down the field.