2023 NFL DRAFT

LTtxfan

1 hour ago, ousux said:

Yeah, he seemed to have a second NFL contract attitude back when he was still at frog. Not a good look for a college player..especially RB.

Having said that, if he gets his mental shit together that's a steal.

He has had his whole life to get his mental shit together. Some guys are just bad guys. Zach Evans is a first class asshole who thinks the world owes him something. He’s always had people around him telling him the same thing. If he’s not out of football in 3 years, it will be because the XFL is still alive. He was an absolutely wasted pick no matter who took him and no matter when they took him. 

1 hour ago, ousux said:

Wonder if that little culture rant he had back in '21 is coming back to haunt him? Plenty of NFL teams have closets full of skeletons..they just want players who take their paycheck and do what's asked and not rock the boat.

His physical was a far bigger issue than anything. I’m betting the “little culture rant he had back in ‘21” was wholly fucking irrelevant. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Dr Fear said:

Now, here's a guy that should have stayed home sweet home.d85d911e5bc3598bda6ea6ff55ae2f44.jpg

2 hours ago, Ignatius said:

He got the looks of killed…

51 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

John 5 is a ridiculously good guitarist. I can tell you don't know jack shit about the rock bro

John 5's ex-wife:

aria_wallpaper_1.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 6

3 hours ago, bmbmd said:

I met Tony Dorsett a few million years ago.  He listed at 5'11, but we stood shoulder to shoulder and eye to eye.  And I'm 5'8".  Deuce will be fine.  

I can confirm this because in 1984 just off sixth street at 2 in the morning, it was just him and me. I nodded. He said “where the bitches at”.  I said “good question” and kept on walking past him, at eye level. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I can confirm this because in 1984 just off sixth street at 2 in the morning, it was just him and me. I nodded. He said “where the bitches at”.  I said “good question” and kept on walking past him, at eye level. 

Now a full length feature film:  where the bitches at

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hermanator said:

John 5 is a ridiculously good guitarist. I can tell you don't know jack shit about the rock bro

He looks like Ricky Bobby, if Ricky Bobby  took up guitar, and started wearing eye makeup, after retiring from racing.

• Like 1

I only saw him play once. It was on SNF against the Chiefs. He might have been one of the worst QBs I have seen play the pro game. KC had zero business winning that game but they did because he was so bad and they stuck around. And they used a 3rd round pick on him. I've seen undrafted guys Dallas has rolled out that looked better. No idea why they took him that high but they know he's very bad. And bailed asap. 
I get similar vibes of the Richardson guy from Florida. Indy drafted him. He is terrible at passing. His legs make him somewhat of a threat but that's it. Richardson had a lot of trouble reading college defenses. They used a very high pick to get this guy.
AFC South has a very interesting mix of QBs. TLaw, Levis, Bryce Young, Richardson. TLaw is head and shoulders above them. And a few of them could be very bad.

Completely off topic. But here is the best write up you will get on mazi. https://mgoblog.com/content/so-you-wanna-draft-wolverine-mazi-smith

Should be one on schoon in there too.

https://mgoblog.com/content/so-you-wanna-draft-wolverine-luke-schoonmaker

I absolutely loved shoon as a player. May have been a bit of a reach to Dallas. but I would have loved him as a lion. Everyone was so hyped on Eric all but schoon just made fucking plays.

Pretty good draft for the Horns. Bijan went top 10, and everybody we thought would get drafted, got drafted. 

I think Cook played well enough as a senior to get drafted, but here we are. When Jamison started losing playing time to younger players, I knew it was pretty unlikely he'd get his name called. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Saint Tacky said:

At this point, it's probably better not to be drafted and to cherry-pick the best of any offers as a UFA.

Watching UDFA signings, salaries, and contracts last night and today. They’re making more and more money than most late round picks. I believe we are going to see smarter NFL teams shifting away from UDFAs by making more of an effort to aggregate late round picks to leverage the salary scale and avoid overpaying for talent that may or may not make the roster. Wouldn’t be surprised to see the NFL add a couple of rounds back to the draft as well. 

Watching UDFA signings, salaries, and contracts last night and today. They’re making more and more money than most late round picks. I believe we are going to see smarter NFL teams shifting away from UDFAs by making more of an effort to aggregate late round picks to leverage the salary scale and avoid overpaying for talent that may or may not make the roster. Wouldn’t be surprised to see the NFL add a couple of rounds back to the draft as well. 

The NFLPA will not agree to additional draft rounds. Half the league is undrafted. UDFAs are a cheap date in the overall scheme of things and give a team better opportunities to find those diamonds in the rough. Cowboys are as good as any team in this area.

On 4/29/2023 at 3:04 PM, Dbeasy said:

I swear ESPN shows highlight film against Texas for every single player in the draft that played against Texas. Either someone hates Texas in the film editing room, or the edict is to show Texas a lot to generate interest. I can’t decide whether I’m mad or flattered. 

One of the highlights for a defensive pick showed a play against us that featured Keontay Ingram. 

• Like 1

The last person drafted will have a 4 year contract, make $768k and a $78k signing bonus.

A UDFA if they make the team has a 3 year contract. They will earn a minimum rookie salary of $750k. Teams allocate UDFA signing bonuses as they see fit, but are limited to a total pool of $180-200k.

Yes, getting drafted is still better money and contract-wise, even for the later rounds. The only advantage of being a udfa is you have more choice in which team you go to...unless there is only one willing to give you a shot.

Estimated contract values for the Longhorns drafted:

Bijan (R1/P8): total - $21,958,535 / bonus - $12,969,844

DMO (R3/P27): total - $5,390,027 / bonus - $920,019

RoJo (R4/P13): total - $4,608,688 / bonus - $768,688

Snacks (R6/P17): total - $4,016,615 / bonus - $176,615

Ojomo (R7/P32): total - $3,917,777 / bonus - $77,777

Source: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/draft/

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Park Gothic said:

Estimated contract values for the Longhorns drafted:

Bijan (R1/P8): total - $21,958,535 / bonus - $12,969,844

DMO (R3/P27): total - $5,390,027 / bonus - $920,019

RoJo (R4/P13): total - $4,608,688 / bonus - $768,688

Snacks (R6/P17): total - $4,016,615 / bonus - $176,615

Ojomo (R7/P32): total - $3,917,777 / bonus - $77,777

Source: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/draft/

The most important number is the guaranteed amount. Bijan will get the full amount of his contract, but all the other guys will need to make the roster this year and stay on, otherwise they’ll only get the signing bonus plus a little extra. DMO and RoJo are safe to make the roster in Year 1, at least, but Coburn and Ojomo could only get their signing bonus and then be fighting to make a practice squad for $277k per year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

The last person drafted will have a 4 year contract, make $768k and a $78k signing bonus.

A UDFA if they make the team has a 3 year contract. They will earn a minimum rookie salary of $750k. Teams allocate UDFA signing bonuses as they see fit, but are limited to a total pool of $180-200k.

Bigger issue is UDFAs get to the second contract faster. 7th rounders have to wait another year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

^^^
That’s one of the reasons that the NFL will consider expanding the draft a few rounds. A lot of the UDFAs are getting more in guarantees than the 7th rounders and even even some of the 6th rounders. 

Can you show your work here? The last kid drafted will get a signing bonus of $78k and a salary of $768k if they make the 53. The salary for a UDFA if they make the team is $750k, and a signing bonus. All UDFAs are paid out of a single pool of $160-200k total, from which teams can allocate as they wish to their players. So far the Cowboys have 13 UDFAs signed. If their pool is $200k that averages a $15k bonus each.

Plus the NFLPA will never agree to more rounds, and the owners don’t want more than 7 either. It’s been almost 30 years since they went from 12 to 7. It’s gone from 9 to 10 to 12 to 13 to 20 to 32 to 17 to 12 to 7.

5 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I think the $200k limit might be with regard to signing bonuses. Salary can be guaranteed on top of that. Can’t find 2023 but here’s an article re: 2022

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2022/value-undrafted-free-agents

When the Cowboys signed the Collins kid out of LSU who became a wrongly accused murder suspect the week before the draft, they fully guaranteed at least the first year.

The signing bonuses average $9-11k out of the pool. If a UDFA makes the 53 they get a $750k rookie salary, or $44k a week. The bigger guarantee a team might give a player have to come from salary. If they get released and signed to a practice squad contract by they start over and get Iike $12k a week. Only some of the ps players last 18 weeks; others are on and off as team needs and injuries occur. Based on your article players are generally more likely to make a squad by being drafted.

It will be interesting to see how many USFL/XFL players are signed.