Jump to content

2022 ALCS Yankees vs Astros


WBT

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, YChang said:

In what world are the Yankees “Goliath?” Not for the past few decades. 

Last time I can remember was 2009-11ish. Even then, they weren't as dominant and powerful as they were in their 90s-early 2000s run. It was a huge deal when us Rangers outed them in 2010 in the ALCS. 

But now days, they just have good teams and nothing more. They aren't feared and hold that mystique when you face them in the playoffs. And their new stadium doesn't have that same feel as the old one as being intimidating. 

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Helobious y'all had the chance to put a major dent in this series and swung and missed. That 8th inning had my pulse racing. If the Yanks had stolen this game tonight with a big inning there, I think their chances of winning the series is pretty high considering the bump it would give that team after yesterday's game 5 victory. Pressure is still on the Stros to win game 2. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

@Helobious y'all had the chance to put a major dent in this series and swung and missed. That 8th inning had my pulse racing. If the Yanks had stolen this game tonight with a big inning there, I think their chances of winning the series is pretty high considering the bump it would give that team after yesterday's game 5 victory. Pressure is still on the Stros to win game 2. 

Really? Carpenter & Donaldson were batting, there was never any actual threat to score. My pulse might’ve gone negative, that result was a foregone conclusion. Judge is maybe the least intimidating 60 homer hitter to ever play the game. Automatic out. Imagine saying in 2017 that Judge & Altuve would both be worthless to their team’s 2022 postseason effort.

The only “positive” is we had a -15 strikeout ratio and only lost by 2 runs somehow. Lineup doesn’t seem hopelessly overmatched by Presley or Montero either. Carp did but he’s overmatched by everyone. I pitched in high school, give me 10 ABs against him and I know I could K his worthless ass once.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Name one false thing I said.
 

Carp 0-6 with 6 Ks this postseason, it’s not ridiculous to say he’d get 9 hits off average Joe me but that I could strike him out once. Just once is all I’m saying. 
 

Don’t know judges stats off hand but he’s been horrible. Altuve too. I didn’t realize he went 0-8 or whatever last game, that’s brutal. Maybe he turns it around, maybe not. 
 

Donaldson sucks and in no way is that even a debate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Really? Carpenter & Donaldson were batting, there was never any actual threat to score. My pulse might’ve gone negative, that result was a foregone conclusion. Judge is maybe the least intimidating 60 homer hitter to ever play the game. Automatic out. Imagine saying in 2017 that Judge & Altuve would both be worthless to their team’s 2022 postseason effort.

The only “positive” is we had a -15 strikeout ratio and only lost by 2 runs somehow. Lineup doesn’t seem hopelessly overmatched by Presley or Montero either. Carp did but he’s overmatched by everyone. I pitched in high school, give me 10 ABs against him and I know I could K his worthless ass once.

Youre Good Robert Deniro GIF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Helobious said:

Holy shit they put Peraza on. That’s incredible.

Not sure if I like Montas on. He’s horrible.

 

12 hours ago, Gourmand said:
12 hours ago, Helobious said:
Holy shit they put Peraza on. That’s incredible.
Not sure if I like Montas on. He’s horrible.

He's probably faced the Astros more than any other pitcher on the Yankees staff.

This proved out exactly as predicted, well done fellas. See, Yankees fans and Astros fans can find something in common!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, YChang said:

In what world are the Yankees “Goliath?” Not for the past few decades. 

Payroll.

That is why they will always be 'goliath.'  Their fans are also entitled AF.  That all plays into the mindset.

They gotdam deserve to win.  Only they don't!

Edited by slorch
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

Carp 0-6 with 6 Ks this postseason, it’s not ridiculous to say he’d get 9 hits off average Joe me but that I could strike him out once. Just once is all I’m saying.

You could throw 8,000 pitches in a row to Matt Carpenter and he would hit every single one of them.

Christ.

This is like when idiots say things like, "Yeah, a UFC fighter would beat me, but I'd land some punches."  No you wouldn't.  You'd shit yourself and you'd wake up half an hour later in an ambulance.

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve finally figured out who @Helobious is after analyzing some clues he’s left. First, he claims he’s a better hitter than Joey Gallo and could strike out Matt Carpenter. He also could kick Myles Straw’s ass. Finally we all know he’s from Harlingen. The only conclusion is that he’s the result of a threesome between Shohei Ohtani, Nolan Ryan and a Reynosa hooker. . 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Gourmand said:

@Helobious y'all had the chance to put a major dent in this series and swung and missed. That 8th inning had my pulse racing. If the Yanks had stolen this game tonight with a big inning there, I think their chances of winning the series is pretty high considering the bump it would give that team after yesterday's game 5 victory. Pressure is still on the Stros to win game 2. 

There’s no pressure. It’s going to be a sweep or gentleman’s sweep.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Worst case for the Yankees would be a 6 or 7 game loss. A sweep or 5 game loss would be the most beneficial (besides winning obv).

Cash & Hal are on record as believing that the playoffs are 100% random and therefore there’s no reason to improve your team beyond what’s required to just qualify for a wildcard spot. As fucking stupid as that is a blowout loss in the LCS might finally get them to consider “hmm maybe we should try making the best team possible if we want to win”. A close loss will make them think they’re right, which would seriously hurt the Yankees long term.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

I'm pretty sure this series is going to game 6.

I agree. The Astros had/have a big pitching advantage in games 1 and 2. Tonight’s going to be tough on the Yankees. Valdez is a ground ball pitcher with a HR/9 rate of 0.5. The Yankees live and die with the home run. This matchup doesn’t bode well for them. But the pitching matchup advantage flips to the Yankees for games 3 and 4. The problem for NY is it flips again to Houston for the next 2 games as a result of the Mariners sweep. Astros in 6

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fun fact from last night: when Bader hit that home run in the 2nd inning to put the Yankees up 1-0, that was the first time in the 8 games played so far this year that the Astros have trailed the Yankees coming up to bat. If not for two walk-off Yankee wins in New York, the Astros would be a perfect 8-0 instead of 6-2 this year against Goliath.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Cash & Hal are on record as believing that the playoffs are 100% random and therefore there’s no reason to improve your team beyond what’s required to just qualify for a wildcard spot.

So why did they trade away half the team near the deadline when they were in good shape to contend for best overall record in the AL?  Making all those moves seems to have disrupted the team chemistry based on post-moves results.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

So why did they trade away half the team near the deadline when they were in good shape to contend for best overall record in the AL?  Making all those moves seems to have disrupted the team chemistry based on post-moves results.

I think they got massively lucky with Bader, but they really could use Monty right now. Maybe they’d have a couple more wins with Monty pitching & Bader on the shelf injured those 2 months. Montas trade was a disaster no matter how you slice it. Benintendi trade was not horrible. I just think they’re incompetent above anything else. A lot of money tied up in players that actively hurt the team by playing, like Hicks & donaldson. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...