36 injured, 11 seriously, after Hawaiian Airlines flight experiences "severe turbulence,"

RPM

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

I’ve told this on TOS:  I flew out of Portland ME  winter either 95 or 96.  Blizzard starting to get going but still early in the storm. I stopped in the bar across from security at the time, got a bite to eat. Place is as dead except two pilots having beers.  

I get on this half full puddle jumper to Boston.  Goddamn if those two fucksticks don’t climb in the pilots cabin. They deiced us twice as well.  I’ve never been so fucking scared in my life. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

I’ve had cataract surgery, through which you remain awake. The doc was right, there are drugs that make you not care someone is cutting on your eyeball. Had to ask them for more of it, but, eventually, I didn’t give af.

image.jpeg.c6f544b94ef5199a2914340c9daf49dd.jpeg

I’ve had cataract surgery and I’ve had treatment for retinopathy. What’s the treatment for retinopathy you ask?

The ophthalmologist sticks a needle into your eye and injects a steroid or some other shit. It floats around in your field of vision for several hours. Cataract surgery didn’t bother me. The needle in the eye did. I passed out in the waiting room afterward.

Pro tip - wear an eye patch and put it on immediately after the injection. It’ll help with the floating fluid in the field of vision mind fuck. 

Also, type 1 diabetes sucks.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I've gotten worse with flying as I've gotten older.  I don't mind shaking, but the drops in altitude fuck with me so hard.  I actually was pissed at the pilots on my last flight into Austin because they flew through the middle of cloud cover for like 2 straight minutes of turbulence instead of getting below them.  Not that I know shit about fuck when it comes to piloting, but it really seemed like they could have just hung out below the clouds instead of right in the middle.  

Xanax y'all say?  Well that sounds like a plan to me.

6 minutes ago, GenXer said:

I’ve had cataract surgery and I’ve had treatment for retinopathy. What’s the treatment for retinopathy you ask?

The ophthalmologist sticks a needle into your eye and injects a steroid or some other shit. It floats around in your field of vision for several hours. Cataract surgery didn’t bother me. The needle in the eye did. I passed out in the waiting room afterward.

Pro tip - wear an eye patch and put it on immediately after the injection. It’ll help with the floating fluid in the field of vision mind fuck. 

Also, type 1 diabetes sucks.

The needle in the eye is a very unpleasant feeling.

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

I've gotten worse with flying as I've gotten older.  I don't mind shaking, but the drops in altitude fuck with me so hard.  I actually was pissed at the pilots on my last flight into Austin because they flew through the middle of cloud cover for like 2 straight minutes of turbulence instead of getting below them.  Not that I know shit about fuck when it comes to piloting, but it really seemed like they could have just hung out below the clouds instead of right in the middle.  

One time that really pissed me off and I got salty with 'em afterwards was going to JFK or EWR from Austin.  Not a short flight.  About 30 minutes in, they announce we're between two cloud decks and to go above the top one, would use a lot more fuel because of a reported upticket in headwind up there.  And they actually told us over the P.A. that they were gonna try and get approval to expend the extra fuel (not sure you call for that).  Well, they never came back and we stayed between the decks and it's was over 3 hours of straight rock polisher.  No serious drops or anything but just non-stop jiggling and shaking.  No beverage service and my buzz is wearing off.  So I took a half xanax and watched 'The Lego Movie' twice since I couldn't work or read or sleep I was so damn nervous. 

We're deplaning and i tell the crew up front, "Hope the cost savings were worth it."  They smile and say something like "Well, we couldn't get approval from upstairs"  And I reply "Know what else could cost the airline more money?  A few folks having unecessary heart attacks up there from all that turbulence."  At least that's what I think I said, I was pretty fucked up on xanax and I think what I said was "Thank you for driving sugar tits, buh-bye."  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Same.  The issue you describe was probably much more likely due to ATC though, particularly on descent for landing.  Pilots will get something like "descend and maintain xx" and the pilots have to follow it.  If there are clouds there, well tough shit.  It's a bumpy ride.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

It was cool like we were all part of a team.  A team that wanted more booze and pills who hated the flight crew.  

I wondered secretly when I got home and wanted my wife to watch it with me, if the movie was actually dumb or childish because I just wanted to something light to take the edge off the flight.  And did my xanax waking coma impair my judgement of comedy?  But nope, we loved it, and show it our kids quite often. She also wondered how drunk I was on the plane to find this movie so hilarious but they never brought the cart out, probably for the best.  Although it would have made for the ultimate Ted Striker homage to "accidentally" spill my drink on myself during all the turbulence and then get to say, "...and that as much anything, led to my drinking problem."   

"Oh Miss, how soon can the Captain land this bumpy flight?"

"It's hard to tell and we don't want to disturb them."

"Well, can't you take a guess?"

"Probably not for another three hours."

"You can't take a guess for another three hours?"

In a movie of non-stop physical slapstick, the scene where McCroskey tells her about the manual inflation nodule.  And she uses it while Leslie Nielsen walks in a makes that face.  And then the automatic pilot's smile and she smoking a cigarette.   I've seen it literally 100 times and I cry every fucking time. 

For the 50th anniversary in a few years here, Paramount Studios should lease an old junker 727 and paint it in the Big Tylenol livery.  And invite a couple hundred people on at LAX tarmac to sit and watch "Airplane!" as the in-flight movie.  

5 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

I’ve told this on TOS:  I flew out of Portland ME  winter either 95 or 96.  Blizzard starting to get going but still early in the storm. I stopped in the bar across from security at the time, got a bite to eat. Place is as dead except two pilots having beers.  

I get on this half full puddle jumper to Boston.  Goddamn if those two fucksticks don’t climb in the pilots cabin. They deiced us twice as well.  I’ve never been so fucking scared in my life. 

Over Macho Grande?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Bevo said:

What sucks is when they inject too much and the motherfucker pops.

I busted my eye open as a senior in high school.  Something like 25 internal stitches and 35 external stitches.  Plastic surgeon stitches, so knock that in half for normal stitches.  That plastic surgeon pulled that needle out and I was like where the fuck do you plan on sticking  that thing.  It didn’t really hurt as much as there  was an odd feeling of pressure in my eye.  He did a great job, almost no scar, despite the fact that I scar badly.  The same doc later went to prison for medicare fraud, so YMMV.

• Like 1

When I was stationed out there.  I would fly back to the mainland 5-6 times a year.  So you'd have to cross the Pacific 12 times.  I keep telling people it is some of the wildest turbulence I've ever had.  One time we must have dropped a good 500-600 feet but all the lights turned on and masks dropped down.  It was freaky.  

Flying from lax to Las maybe 20 years ago. It was a little choppy but not horrible. Apparently winds at McCarren were strong and pilot had the option to divert to slc... which would have been fine with me because that was my final destination. 

Anyway,  I guess pilot says fuck it,  I'm putting this bird down (LAS crew)  I'm just assuming this was an old afa pilot because that's how he looked and sounded,  but no clue. Anyhow,  we are coming in and you can tell we are pitched sideways fighting the wind and maybe 15 or 20 feet above the tarmac it was like the hand of God dribbling us off the pavement. We slam down into the ground and bounce back up higher than we just were. Best thing is,  this fucking hero says fuck it and puts us back down without running out of runway. Fucking crazy. 

My uncle retired last year as Delta A330 captain and started flying citations. I got to fly with him on a ferry flight from MIA to TEB a few months back. 

Anyway the weather was gnarly and there was a pretty good cross wind component. This citation was all over the place and I was worried because he has done maybe a dozen landings in the left seat of the citation before this. 

After we landed I asked how close he was to going around. His response: “I’d rather die then go around” 

14 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, pops said:

Flying from lax to Las maybe 20 years ago. It was a little choppy but not horrible. Apparently winds at McCarren were strong and pilot had the option to divert to slc... which would have been fine with me because that was my final destination. 

Anyway,  I guess pilot says fuck it,  I'm putting this bird down (LAS crew)  I'm just assuming this was an old afa pilot because that's how he looked and sounded,  but no clue. Anyhow,  we are coming in and you can tell we are pitched sideways fighting the wind and maybe 15 or 20 feet above the tarmac it was like the hand of God dribbling us off the pavement. We slam down into the ground and bounce back up higher than we just were. Best thing is,  this fucking hero says fuck it and puts us back down without running out of runway. Fucking crazy. 

what was the crash where they were flying into aspen and had no business landing but the rich guy demanded that the pilot not be a pussy...

https://admiralcloudberg.medium.com/dining-with-death-the-2001-avjet-aspen-crash-608e0056d244

RIP

12 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

My uncle retired last year as Delta A330 captain and started flying citations. I got to fly with him on a ferry flight from MIA to TEB a few months back. 

Anyway the weather was gnarly and there was a pretty good cross wind component. This citation was all over the place and I was worried because he has done maybe a dozen landings in the left seat of the citation before this. 

After we landed I asked how close he was to going around. His response: “I’d rather die then go around” 

Did you tell him it's 'than?'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Anyone reports that and they never pilot again.  Former FedEx captain told me that everyone knows its 12 hours bottle to throttle.

Had this happen on a 21 seat 2-prop plane.

Out of nowhere, no warning, plane suddenly plummeted, everything hit the ceiling, including probably 1/3 of the passengers and at least one flight attendant. Seat belt sign was not lit. I had mine on anyway, so it "just" shook the shit out of me. 

Plane lurched side to side and up and down. Huge excursions in a tiny plane. It was like some sort of a bad horror B movie. Probably lasted 4-5 minutes. Seemed like an eternity. Every adult on the plane thought we were going to die. Everyone. 

Plane finally settles out and every adult is grey/green and looks like they just had a brush with death. Many of them were vomiting in the airsick bags.

Kid in the aisle across from me looks over and says "What's the matter mister, you don't like roller coasters?"

I say "yeah, but I like them with tracks under me." Everyone laughs that awkward relieved laugh.

A few seconds later, we notice a loud whining sound from the top left of the cabin door. It's obviously leaking or gaining air through some sort of gap.  

We alerted flight attendants, they alerted the pilot. Pilot says it's nothing to worry about. We're almost to our destination. 

We continued the flight, the noise stayed constant and everyone got severe headaches that continued until after we land. I'm 99.9% sure we were losing cabin pressure and oxygen. 

It was a while before I was comfortable on a plane again after this. 

Yeah, the pilots didn’t continue to fly the plane to the destination as though nothing happened while losing cabin pressure. 

What you probably heard was a door seal that had some gravel or something get caught in it. Likely after the turbulence encounter. It’s noisy as hell and invariably harmless. 

The headaches were likely from the intense rattling around, vomiting and general panic level induced by the incident and sound that wasn’t understood. 

I’ve had the cabin pressure controller decide this life was too much and dump the cabin climbing through 38,000 feet. The cabin limiters and emergency pressurization kept the cabin from climbing above 12,000 feet, but it went there near instantly. Life was exciting, but there were no oxygen depravation symptoms. I can only guess you were in a 1900, Metro, Brasília or Saab. Maybe a Jetstream or ATR.  None of which are going to fly very high to begin with. 

I’m sure it was a very scary in incident though.

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 10:05 PM, Bobby_Batronic said:

Yeah, the pilots didn’t continue to fly the plane to the destination as though nothing happened while losing cabin pressure. 

What you probably heard was a door seal that had some gravel or something get caught in it. Likely after the turbulence encounter. It’s noisy as hell and invariably harmless. 

The headaches were likely from the intense rattling around, vomiting and general panic level induced by the incident and sound that wasn’t understood. 

I’ve had the cabin pressure controller decide this life was too much and dump the cabin climbing through 38,000 feet. The cabin limiters and emergency pressurization kept the cabin from climbing above 12,000 feet, but it went there near instantly. Life was exciting, but there were no oxygen depravation symptoms. I can only guess you were in a 1900, Metro, Brasília or Saab. Maybe a Jetstream or ATR.  None of which are going to fly very high to begin with. 

I’m sure it was a very scary in incident though.

I know you're a pilot and you're probably right. Door seal would def explain the noise. I wish I remember the plane, but it was 20 years ago. A puddle jumper between Salt Lake City and Casper, WY as we were getting close to Casper. 

I'm curious what they would have done differently if we were losing cabin pressure. It was over rural Wyoming and Casper would have been the closest airport. They said they were going to drop in altitude a little early, but nothing to worry about, and dropped down to 10-12,000 feet for the rest of the flight. The headache didn't go away until after we landed, but it stopped getting worse after they dropped. 

6 hours ago, Pods said:

I know you're a pilot and you're probably right. Door seal would def explain the noise. I wish I remember the plane, but it was 20 years ago. A puddle jumper between Salt Lake City and Casper, WY as we were getting close to Casper. 

I'm curious what they would have done differently if we were losing cabin pressure. It was over rural Wyoming and Casper would have been the closest airport. They said they were going to drop in altitude a little early, but nothing to worry about, and dropped down to 10-12,000 feet for the rest of the flight. The headache didn't go away until after we landed, but it stopped getting worse after they dropped. 

I mentioned types after forgetting you said it had an FA which rules out the Metros, 1900’s and Jetstreams, but it was too late to edit. 

A turbulence encounter severed enough to cause a loss of pressurization would seem to meet the definition of an accident to me and it would be strange to press on unless there were truly  no better options. They may have also been dealing with some MEL issue where part of the system was degraded before flight and it was made worse by the turbulence. Dropping down to 10-12k jives with pressurization issues. You’re limited to 30 mins above 10k cabin altitude, and that’s usually a terrain clearance tool. 

Did anyone from the company or the feds contact you afterward?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/19/2022 at 1:22 PM, Bateshorn said:

Love some Foster Brooks.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1