Outstanding Acting (way different than their regular roles)

Superhero

1 hour ago, Bama Llama said:

Tyler Perry in Alex Cross (2012)

I was just flipping channels and found this film. Perry did a fine job IMHO. IMDB gave it a meh score but so what? It’s worth the watch. You’ll never think of Madea the same way.

He played Colin Powell in Vice. 

Edited by ztejas

On 12/23/2022 at 11:38 AM, Bama Llama said:

Tyler Perry in Alex Cross (2012)

I was just flipping channels and found this film. Perry did a fine job IMHO. IMDB gave it a meh score but so what? It’s worth the watch. You’ll never think of Madea the same way.

He owned every one of his scenes in Gone Girl too.

• Hook 'Em 1

Robert DeNiro in King of Comedy

The mention of Henry Fonda in Once Upon a Time in the West is excellent. I saw him talk about on a talk show back in the day. 

Michael Douglas in Falling Down

Willem Dafoe in The Life Acquatic with Stephen Zissou, he'd almost always played heavies in his younger days.

Phillip Michael Seymour Hofffman* as the bad guy in one of the Mission Impossible movies

*You take three names, you take your chances with ol' RomaVicta.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

On 12/22/2022 at 3:15 PM, Surly Bevo said:

Henry Fonda in Once Upon A Time In The West

Came here to post the same thing.  Fonda completely played against type in that role, and it was one of really notable times in Hollywood history.  (But based on his private life, it might not have been a huge stretch for him.)

Here's an interesting pair.

Tom Hanks in PhiladelphiaPrior to this, he was known for screwball comedies (and the occasional rom-com). He does this, wins his first Oscar... and everything turned around.

Similarly: Michael Keaton in Batman. Same rep, different role. In the months of hype leading up to the release, most of us couldn't see him playing that role well at all. But now, it's iconic.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Here's an interesting pair.

Similarly: Michael Keaton in Batman. Same rep, different role. In the months of hype leading up to the release, most of us couldn't see him playing that role well at all. But now, it's iconic.

I would say it started with Clean and Sober with Michael Keaton and Batman was another role most did not see him playing.  The movie role in Pacific Heights right after Batman was another different role he did very well.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, bborange said:

I would say it started with Clean and Sober with Michael Keaton and Batman was another role most did not see him playing.  The movie role in Pacific Heights right after Batman was another different role he did very well.  

I mean, both of those guys pretty much proved they can act the fuck out of any role you give em by this point. Wasn't so clear back in the late 1980s/early 1990s tho

• Like 1