2023 Rain Thread

South Austin

14 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Shit could get real ugly around here.  Up to 85-87 on a bunch of the wunderground stations in my area.   

I went ahead and cleared out the garage so both cars can fit inside, so it is now guaranteed NOT to hail.

You're all welcome.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Shit could get real ugly around here.  Up to 85-87 on a bunch of the wunderground stations in my area.   

Do I remember correctly that you are north of Austin? Or am I thinking of someone else. Waco area?

My station in South Austin is 86 currently, but was as high as 88 a bit ago. Looks like the line is starting to pop to the east. 

Hold on to your butts.

Just now, UnivTex34 said:

Do I remember correctly that you are north of Austin? Or am I thinking of someone else. Waco area?

My station in South Austin is 86 currently, but was as high as 88 a bit ago. Looks like the line is starting to pop to the east. 

Hold on to your butts.

Yep.  Waco area.   Getting this warm today is not optimal.  Makes for prime storm explosion.  

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

I went ahead and cleared out the garage so both cars can fit inside, so it is now guaranteed NOT to hail.

You're all welcome.

Man, I was just debating this.... I have to move a a bunch of shit though, and I still can't close the garage. Fucking 80's houses and current sizes of pickup trucks...

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Man, I was just debating this.... I have to move a a bunch of shit though, and I still can't close the garage. Fucking 80's houses and current sizes of pickup trucks...

Yeah mine was built in 2010 and the pickup still barely fits.  I have to back it in so the rear part of the bed hangs over the concrete step at the back of the garage.  The garage door clears the nose by 0.0003 inches.

We about to get lit the fuck up 

Hope there's no hail in it.  Just planted my entire vegetable garden on Sunday.  But if it does, it better get me a new roof.  

I think the main hail core will miss my house, but my car here at work is going to enjoy some terminal velocity golf balls.

Speaking of the fucking force field, sorry if this has been discussed before, but this article popped up a few days ago and I found it fascinating.

Austin's invisible rain dome is all 'Balcones Fault'

In Central Texas, even amateur weather watchers have noticed one pattern in particular: the Invisible Austin Rain Dome.

The scenario is this: Raging thunderstorms approach Travis County–with the city of Austin at the center–from the west, dropping heavy rain and producing severe weather. But as the convective line moves across the county, the storms suddenly weaken, sometimes nearly dissipating.

Then, as the line moves into eastern Travis County, the storms quickly re-intensify and rage again as they push eastward. The result is that heavy rain falls both west and east of the city, but little or none in the central part of Austin.

It’s the kind of thing that drives this forecaster crazy, and sometimes it seems like a dome actually exists. But I have a theory for why this occurs.

The Balcones Fault line extends from the Dallas/Fort Worth region southwestward through Waco, Temple, Austin and then westward through San Antonio to Del Rio. It's the path that I-35 takes through Central Texas.

So what is happening with storms here?

In most cases, strong and severe thunderstorms are rooted at the surface. That is, storm inflow is established at ground level and lifts into the storm. But as storms move across western Travis County, the bottom drops out as the line reaches the fault zone.

This results in a sudden disruption to the storm inflow and storms quickly weaken. But as the squall line reaches the eastern part of the county, they re-establish the surface inflow and quickly intensify.

It’s not an Invisible Rain Dome but a microscale geographic phenomenon.

Couldn't past the pics in the quoted article, but these give a visual, especially the terrain profile.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I didn't take Weather Law in law school, but this makes intuitive sense.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

No hail so far but heavy, steady beautiful rain.  It's glorious.

Yep.   I bet we got more rain in 1.5 hours than we have had all year.   Heavy ass rain.   And my house has a small transformer in the back that supplies like 4 houses.  

you guessed it.  Frank Stallone knocked out the power to our 4 houses.   

21 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Yep.   I bet we got more rain in 1.5 hours than we have had all year.   Heavy ass rain.   And my house has a small transformer in the back that supplies like 4 houses.  

you guessed it.  Frank Stallone knocked out the power to our 4 houses.   

We got a little more than 1.5.  I can't remember the last time we received that much rain. 18months maybe.  

My neighborhood 78717 (North Austin—but like go a few blocks one way it’s Round Rock or go a few blocks the other way it’s Cedar Park) is about to get blasted. I was the only dumbass walking down the street to get a better picture. Seeing some greenage—Going green now. 

BEC316C5-6EFF-432E-B819-143D470A2706.jpeg