2023 Rain Thread

South Austin

Fuck. I was in the bullseye for that storm last week and got 4.5" in an hour and 5" overall. Backyard flooded.

Today, we got marble sized hail (a ton of it) and 1" of rain in 15 minutes. Backyard flooded. Never done that before, much less twice in a week. Normally the rain is slow enough that it runs off or absorbs. Have to drill some holes in the landscape edging as it's holding water back. 

Have now had 9" of rain this month. And looking at the Hydromet, once again I was in the bullseye. 1", but it's 1/2" everywhere else.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

Fuck. I was in the bullseye for that storm last week and got 4.5" in an hour and 5" overall. Backyard flooded.
Today, we got marble sized hail (a ton of it) and 1" of rain in 15 minutes. Backyard flooded. Never done that before, much less twice in a week. Normally the rain is slow enough that it runs off or absorbs. Have to drill some holes in the landscape edging as it's holding water back. 
Have now had 9" of rain this month. And looking at the Hydromet, once again I was in the bullseye. 1", but it's 1/2" everywhere else.
Hi neighbor

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

We got nearly 2 inches in about an hour last night.  Biggest rain event at my house in almost 2years. 

Yep.  Don’t think I got quite that much, but it had to be close.   Rained like a motherfucker and all kinds of lightning.   

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

24 hour rainfall from LCRA Hydromet . . . what lakes are fed from the highlighted area?

image.png.a25fbf760db74826312bacb26d805b02.png

It says "Pecan Bayou Basin." Following the river on the map, it hits Lake Brownwood, and then Lake Buchanan.

26 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Buchanan is at 60%, so I guess that's good.  It would be nice to get more water downstream, as Travis is at 44%.  Inks, LBJ, and Marble Falls are essentially full.

Grab a bucket and get to work.  ;)  

Yeah, in all seriousness---we may need to think through an engineering project that can better improve downstream flows.  But Austin Water and LCRA can fuck up a cup of mussels, I mean coffee.  noCR, say what you want about Ellen Troxclair  .........she had some great and original insights into what we could do for water stability in the region.  So naturally, everybody ignored her.  

32 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Grab a bucket and get to work.  ;)  

Yeah, in all seriousness---we may need to think through an engineering project that can better improve downstream flows.  But Austin Water and LCRA can fuck up a cup of mussels, I mean coffee.  noCR, say what you want about Ellen Troxclair  .........she had some great and original insights into what we could do for water stability in the region.  So naturally, everybody ignored her.  

And speaking of water... she's also gone off the deep end.

46 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

For what it's worth, Austin (Camp Mabry) is currently ~ 1 inch behind normal for 2023 (about 10%).  April helped a lot.  More, please.

image.png.118dcde33d762a3eb09ed8718eb5894d.png

9"+ in April for me, but the other months are in line with that. The long-term forecasts this month say it should be wetter than normal and it's our wettest month. But all the rain chances as of now are relatively low.

image.thumb.png.5c5d6a159ec3a200a457ca546a81b9ca.png