2023 Rain Thread

South Austin

5 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

Eh, garden-variety thunderstorms.

Growing up in the Houston area can make one blasé to thunderstorms/rain. Lulz.

Watch out guys. We have someone from Houston here to tell us other Texans what thunderstorms are really like.

• Haha 2

The forecase for this coming weekend in Austin is 50 to 60% chance of rain, from Friday to Monday. No variation in the 50 to 60% chance the entire weekend.

Trying to plan some activities.

What's driving this forecast? 

1 hour ago, zman13 said:

The forecase for this coming weekend in Austin is 50 to 60% chance of rain, from Friday to Monday. No variation in the 50 to 60% chance the entire weekend.

Trying to plan some activities.

What's driving this forecast? 

This is from old KHOU weather board.

12Z EURO showing the surface low taking shape on Tuesday.Then moving into north Texas and becoming a tropical like low with a feeder band draped over the area.

5B9CBEF5-E8D6-440C-8640-08B48DC28CB2.png

B2D884FA-E94F-4CD5-A85C-C008E315CFA3.png

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/6/2023 at 12:51 PM, crash_davis said:

Confirmed, a few of the docks at Lago Vista Marina got f'ed up by a tornado. Funny that none of the Austin news are reporting on it.

Lots of pictures of the damage and recovery efforts

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/storms-leave-lago-vista-marina-with-severe-damage/

The association’s rangers and management, law enforcement and the Lower Colorado River Authority responded to the marina to check for injuries, chemical leaks and downed electric lines, but no significant spills or leaks were found so far.

A statement from the board of directors said the LCRA police and emergency management office will help with the oversight of recovery efforts. They will also monitor for environmental hazards from damaged vehicles.

From the marina’s 137 wet slips, 37 boats were severely impacted, according to the property owners’ association.

The property owners’ association said it is not confirmed what type of weather event happened at the marina.

“Additional information will be shared with our Association’s members as we assist our marina tenants through this unfortunate recovery process,” a letter from the Lago Vista board of directors said.

When they say 37 boats "severely impacted", I'm assuming they mean not seaworthy anymore.

• Hook 'Em 1

my intertron skillz are lacking

someone please capture the radar loop

https://www.kxan.com/weather/radar/

center on dallas, fort worth, and storms to the west

i've never seen an undulating set of storms move 15 miles forwards, backwards, north, south, all in unison, it's just wild

i hope someone captures the loop of the last 6 hours

Man, I hope this is over the lakes. For some reason my house has been in the bullseye with all this rain. It's been about 10" since the start of April, with about 7.5" coming in the past 2-3 weeks. And each time, it's been in torrential downpours of about 1" every 15 minutes that floods the backyard.

Would love some passing showers instead of blobs of red that sit over the house. Send that stuff to the lakes!

48 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Not a single sunny day on the 15-day forecast for Houston. Every day from here thru 5/22 is "scattered thunderstorms" with between a 40% and 60% chance of rain.

Real spring again.

Went from 75% chance of rain this evening when I checked at 3 to 20% now.  Looks like it’s gonna ride just west of the fault straight south. That’s good when you’re talking about a woman, but shitty when you’re talking about a drought.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

West Austin y’all can thank me for getting nothing this week, we are planting our yard today and tomorrow…

best it will ever look:

A1CA5016-9034-499B-B865-9543849C592F.jpeg

Might want to, you know, put down some soil on that there rock.  

Edited by Trey3216
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Might want to, you know, put down some soil on that there rock.  

It’s not rock, looks like it in the pic. there’s a thin layer of the white dusty stuff and soil under it. It’s been tilled quite a bit with septic lines below what you see. Bigger issue is whether septic will feed it enough. We will see. I’m not interested in feeding once a week on top of septic.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1