2023 Rain Thread

South Austin

1 hour ago, miguelito said:

My house was, and still is, in either the Extreme or Exceptional category.  So I got that going for me, which is nice. 

If you want to post about the extreme or exceptional drought going on at your house, this isn't the proper sub-forum for that.  You have enough posts, you should have access to the correct one.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, TXLNGHRN10 said:

I didn't realize there was a chance of rain this evening. Now I see chance of severe storms. What's the likely hood?   I was planning on trying to grill and watch the game tonight on the back porch

Dallas getting enough storms to divert my flight to Hobby from Love and now I’m sitting on the tarmac for the second straight hour. Flight from LA to Austin is now going to be like 10 hours. This is great. 

27 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Love Field is an absolute fuck show right now. 

4 minutes ago, Hate said:

It's not raining there. Why is it a shitshow?

He said it’s a fuck show, not a shitshow. So I assume he means everyone is getting laid on their layovers. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

I rained for a couple of hours earlier and diverted everything coming into Dallas. 6 hour delay for me so far 

It's because you talked to that guy at the hotel bar the other night...............................sinner.

Seriously though, safe travels to all.  The sky to our west is a freakshow right now with light.  Humidity is up but the barometric pressure actually increased since I got home from the game and it got dead calm.  something weird is afoot.  

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Shoal Creek Saloon gives zero fucks.  Noah and his ark could float by, and they'd be re-opened in three days.

My wife and I went down there for a weekend lunch a few weeks ago.  I asked "there's no patio seating, right?  Didn't some homeless guy burn it all up?"

"Nah, man we fixed that in a couple of days.  Wanna sit out there?"

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah.  This just got real can’t see across the street it’s so heavy.  Lotta thunder.  Power okay; knock on wood.  We’re just SW of downtown.   Looks like it’ll last until about 6am or so.  Morning commutes should be okay but given the ground is a bit damp already, we gonna have some creek flooding.  Clockwork for Memorial Day weekend In Austin.  We thank you Mother Earth though.  We need this rain. 

Wind/rain knocked over about 10 of my pepper plants and nearly destroyed one of my cherry tomato plants.  Had to spend about an hour rigging some bamboo sticks to get them back upright.   Usually wouldn't have to do that for another month or two when they really start pumping out the fruit.  

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Help me out here -- what used to be in that location (Favorite)?  I'm trying to place it.  I need to check them out, looks delicious.

Hut's ... nvm thought you were asking about Sammie's 

Edited by texasdago

44 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Help me out here -- what used to be in that location (Favorite)?  I'm trying to place it.  I need to check them out, looks delicious.

34 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It was a small liquor store, I think a Twin Liquors.

Correct. And I'm not 100% sure but pretty confident it was the store where Mitch bought a six pack in Dazed and Confused.

5 minutes ago, ftf82 said:

Correct. And I'm not 100% sure but pretty confident it was the store where Mitch bought a six pack in Dazed and Confused.

You talking about the store where the dude runs up and puts a gun in the car window?  That's this place...

image.thumb.png.a9f4bba91a837b296eee3d5d509b29e2.png

4 minutes ago, texasdago said:

You talking about the store where the dude runs up and puts a gun in the car window?  That's this place...

image.thumb.png.a9f4bba91a837b296eee3d5d509b29e2.png

No. That's the old Ballard's. I'm talking about the liquor store where Mitch buys a six pack to take back to the Emporium.

Yeah, you can tell by that long, covered walkway, that was not that little liquor store on West Sixth.  Although the interior layouts look very similar.  A lot of those scenes were contiguous takes between the pool hall, liquor store, paint warehouse, driving by top notch, walking by neighboring homes, etc.  Then edited heavily later on.  Kind of a "American Graffiti" approach.  

I just noticed two things about that beer buy scene: that clerk looks and sounds a lot like Bob Odenkirk.  And also-the gag with giving the pregnant mom advice on nutrition as you sell her booze and cigarettes was always funny.  But I never notice until now, clerk mumbles "see you tomorrow" as she leaves and Mitch approaches the counter.  Fucking hilarious and demented.  

20 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Dark Sky was a decent weather app, Apple bought it and merged it with its weather app, and now the Apple weather app is absolute shit.  And I loved the Apple Watch app.

Weather.com's app is a lot better, even though they are using some of the same data.

Carrot Weather

You can even customize it to look exactly like DarkSky if that is your thing. Has something like 20 different data sources, and the Apple Watch app is also great. I even have a tied in to my Personal weather station, so if I'm within 2 miles of my house, all of the real time data is coming from the weather station in my backyard.

• Like 1