The Official 118th Congress 2023-24 Thread

Bullneck

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Even though they have the option to try again, I don’t know if they want to risk it again, because it was humiliating.  Republicans almost need a distraction from this distraction because it’s just making them look incompetent.

I have not been following this. Would it take all three of the GOP congressman who voted against it to switch their votes?

3 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I have not been following this. Would it take all three of the GOP congressman who voted against it to switch their votes?

They are waiting on Scalise to return, is Moore switched to No to kill it so it can be brought up again. 

They need to hurry bc they’re not favored to win the NY-03 special next week (Santos’ seat)

38 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

33 minutes ago, Js1 said:

They are waiting on Scalise to return, is Moore switched to No to kill it so it can be brought up again. 

They need to hurry bc they’re not favored to win the NY-03 special next week (Santos’ seat)

It doesn't mean that there isn't another GOP congressmen or two that are waiting to switch to a No to kill the impeachment vote, if needed.

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It doesn't mean that there isn't another GOP congressmen or two that are waiting to switch to a No to kill the impeachment vote, if needed.

That’s true. Johnson and the leadership team are banking on no one else switching their vote

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

That’s true. Johnson and the leadership team are banking on no one else switching their vote

Close votes are also the time to demand something from the Speaker when he needs your vote. You can't let his crisis go to waste especially if you're in a safe district. However with a small majority and a Dem Senate and President, Johnson doesn't have much power.

I believe it's also been established that Johnson doesn't have much PAC money to share. Johnson negotiates, with his own party, from the weakest position possible. 

You know who is laughing about the House Republicans failure to govern, failure to impeach, failure to lead, etc

the 2 people I am certain are laughing are:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.9526d32765d823ed9d7f2999101c3681.png

and 

image.png.834cb6d6cb97949f8beaaed5759e3b2b.png

because how do you bring this to the floor without knowing where you stand

On 2/7/2024 at 9:36 AM, Js1 said:

Can the NY district actually vote for another GOP candidate after Santos?

Then again they voted for Santos in the first place.

It never occurred to me to use snow plows as a way to influence an election.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/13/nyregion/pilip-suozzi-santos-election.html?smid=url-share

Republicans and Democrats were locked in a desperate race Tuesday afternoon to turn out voters after an ill-timed Election Day snowstorm snarled the close of a tightly contested special House election to replace George Santos in New York.

Both candidates offered voters expenses-paid transportation to polling sites, and dispatched canvassers to schlep through the half foot of wet snow that blanketed most of the Queens and Long Island district.

The Congressional Leadership Fund, the House Republicans’ main super PAC, even hired private snow plows to help clear the party’s best precinct areas faster, according to its spokeswoman. The group, which had already spent $5 million on the race, did not share the cost of the last-minute service.

Turnout plummeted during the heaviest snow Tuesday morning, an alarming sign for Republicans who had counted on an Election Day surge to offset Democrats’ apparent advantage in early and absentee voting. Polling sites will remain open until 9 p.m.

“For partisans on both sides who believe in divine intervention, the weather will decide whether God is a Democrat or Republican,” Steve Israel, a former Democratic congressman from the district, quipped before the flakes started falling.

“And whether he votes in special elections,” he added.

This being Long Island, a suburban expanse where politics and public works have a history of mixing, Democrats were suspicious that Republicans who control the Nassau County government and each of its three townships might selectively clear paths for their voters. That was before the Republican super PAC stepped in to lend a hand.

“Of course we’re worried about where they plow the roads,” Mr. Jacobs said.

Delia DeRiggi-Whitton, the Democratic minority leader of the Nassau County Legislature, took it upon herself to write letters on Monday warning Bruce Blakeman, the county’s Republican executive, and others not to cut county employees loose on “snow days” so they could help the campaign effort.

Mr. Blakeman shot back that he was “personally offended” that Democrats would question his administration’s integrity, and vowed to clear the streets equitably.

“I have directly told everyone involved that no community shall be favored and that they should do their work according to their usual practices, except to start earlier,” Mr. Blakeman wrote.

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Mayorkas impeachment passed by 1 vote, 214-213

It’s about time the Republicans did something good.  Mayorkas wanted open borders and enjoyed watching the hoards of brown people coming into the US and handing out drugs that kill people along with raping our women.  Biden also wants open borders and believes in letting everyone in to destroy the white America we all love.  If we could just stop all of these caravans then my life would finally be good instead of me living in the trailer home paying $20 for a happy meal at McDonald’s.

I hope all of your sarcasm meters are on for the above sentences I just wrote

I am sick and tired of these Republicans flat out lying through the media and the dumb ass people in this country believing everything they hear.  I just listened to Steve Scalise saying Biden is responsible for this border crisis which is interesting because I believe Trump ran on this border crisis 8 years ago when Biden wasn’t president.  Oh, and once Trump got in office last time it was great that the Republicans solved the border crisis.  Right?  Right?  These fuckers have their talking point of Biden wants open borders even though he has deported and turned away more people than Trump did.  Unfortunately, I guarantee you could interview some Fox News watching 60 old from West Virginia and they would parrot that Biden wants open borders.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 2

7 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

It’s about time the Republicans did something good.  Mayorkas wanted open borders and enjoyed watching the hoards of brown people coming into the US and handing out drugs that kill people along with raping our women.  Biden also wants open borders and believes in letting everyone in to destroy the white America we all love.  If we could just stop all of these caravans then my life would finally be good instead of me living in the trailer home paying $20 for a happy meal at McDonald’s.

I hope all of your sarcasm meters are on for the above sentences I just wrote

I am sick and tired of these Republicans flat out lying through the media and the dumb ass people in this country believing everything they hear.  I just listened to Steve Scalise saying Biden is responsible for this border crisis which is interesting because I believe Trump ran on this border crisis 8 years ago when Biden wasn’t president.  Oh, and once Trump got in office last time it was great that the Republicans solved the border crisis.  Right?  Right?  These fuckers have their talking point of Biden wants open borders even though he has deported and turned away more people than Trump did.  Unfortunately, I guarantee you could interview some Fox News watching 60 old from West Virginia and they would parrot that Biden wants open borders.  

Welcome to the Ledge.  I don't know how we beat this.  These people WANT to be lied to.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

the-party-of-projection-projects-v0-q67e

Just wait until Dems use the entire senate trial that will probably not even get 40/45 votes to remove to rail on the GOP and Trump for scuttling the border deal 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

6 minutes ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

+ Biggs, Pfluger, Hageman. Might hate-watch if it ever made the floor.

This elevation of literally the dumbest human beings on the planet to positions of increasing power is fucking amazing to watch.  The party is doubling, tripling, quadrupling, googling down on fucking DUMB.  Never say "they can't get any dumber" -- they always find a way to do so.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 4
  • Prepare your anus 1

+ Biggs, Pfluger, Hageman. Might hate-watch if it ever made the floor.

Putting the spotlight on two of your craziest members is an insane choice in the months leading up to an election. I initially wanted Schumer to give them the finger but now I hope the Senate milks this for all it’s worth.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Putting the spotlight on two of your craziest members is an insane choice in the months leading up to an election. I initially wanted Schumer to give them the finger but now I hope the Senate milks this for all it’s worth.

This is where I am at.  Make this a 9 month trial.  Every fucking day.  Give MTG a full month to present.  No restrictions.  She can talk about anything she wants.  Bring in Boobert and let her propose a constitutional amendment to outlaw abortion.  Let Coach Tubby do a presentation how Putin is our standard.  Let their freak flag fly!

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Horn Dog said:

This is where I am at.  Make this a 9 month trial.  Every fucking day.  Give MTG a full month to present.  No restrictions.  She can talk about anything she wants.  Bring in Boobert and let her propose a constitutional amendment to outlaw abortion.  Let Coach Tubby do a presentation how Putin is our standard.  Let their freak flag fly!

Considering a bunch of supposed Dem voters are all wound up about Biden's age, I'm all the fuck for this.  They need to be reminded of what the fuck we are up against.  A great comparison was if we were voting for a football coach and the choices were Pete Carroll vs Jerry Sandusky.

29 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

2020, if every county in each state voted by the same margin as its largest city:

GGVWpW9bAAAXBgr.thumb.jpg.4652bd29253f623676f5aa246783d25c.jpg

So Texas still mostly sucks.  Awesome.

10 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Considering a bunch of supposed Dem voters are all wound up about Biden's age, I'm all the fuck for this.  They need to be reminded of what the fuck we are up against.  A great comparison was if we were voting for a football coach and the choices were Pete Carroll vs Jerry Sandusky.

So Texas still mostly sucks.  Awesome.

That is a Dem win though.

Lots of counties between Dallas and Austin that flip
RGV is much bluer than 2020
Some of the ring counties south and southwest of Bexar flip and some of the ring counties south and southeast of Dallas flip
2(!!!) blue counties in the panhandle 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

That is a Dem win though.

Lots of counties between Dallas and Austin that flip
RGV is much bluer than 2020
Some of the ring counties south and southwest of Bexar flip and some of the ring counties south and southeast of Dallas flip
2(!!!) blue counties in the panhandle 

I guess I don't understand what "voted by the same margin as its largest city" means mathematically on this map. What vote margin for Houston are they applying to Texas?

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I guess I don't understand what "voted by the same margin as its largest city" means mathematically on this map. What vote margin for Houston are they applying to Texas?

Largest city in each county is how I read it. So you extrapolate the city's margin to the county. For example, if the city of Burnet voted 51/49 Dem, you'd use that margin of votes for the whole of Burnet county. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Largest city in each county is how I read it. So you extrapolate the city's margin to the county. For example, if the city of Burnet voted 51/49 Dem, you'd use that margin of votes for the whole of Burnet county. 

Got it. That makes a lot more sense and goes with the whole premise that an increased population density correlates with an increased Democratic voter share.

11 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Got it. That makes a lot more sense and goes with the whole premise that an increased population density correlates with an increased Democratic voter share.

It would be interesting to see a similar map with congressional, state house and state senate districts. 

21 hours ago, Js1 said:

4 committee chairs calling it quits. They know 

I've been surprised at the characterization of the House as a tossup this year. To me, Democrats are strong favorites. Not quite a strong as the GOP in the Senate, but it's definitely a Democratic lean for me. Seems maybe the GOP is realizing that.

10 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I've been surprised at the characterization of the House as a tossup this year. To me, Democrats are strong favorites. Not quite a strong as the GOP in the Senate, but it's definitely a Democratic lean for me. Seems maybe the GOP is realizing that.

I would say part of that has been the uncertainty on the final maps - FL, NC, GA, LA, NY.   Lawsuits have really made things sticky.

The GOP has a 3 seat majority right now.  If the Dems can put in the 22-4 NY map and offset NC/FL, plus Dems automatically picking up a seat in LA and AL, and winning some of those close ones they lost in 2022 in AZ and CA, I think it's quite a given the Dems will have the House next year. 

15 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

2020, if every county in each state voted by the same margin as its largest city:

GGVWpW9bAAAXBgr.thumb.jpg.4652bd29253f623676f5aa246783d25c.jpg

Seems like something wonky is going on with state lines. Arkansas uniformly blue while (culturally almost identical) counties in Missouri and Oklahoma are red? Ultra red counties in western Virginia directly across the border from pink ones in Kentucky and blue ones in West Virginia?

8 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Seems like something wonky is going on with state lines. Arkansas uniformly blue while (culturally almost identical) counties in Missouri and Oklahoma are red? Ultra red counties in western Virginia directly across the border from pink ones in Kentucky and blue ones in West Virginia?

It could partially be a jurisdiction thing in Virginia causing the data quirk where a lot of cities in Virginia are "independent" of counties, and they're treated separately. That likely doesn't count for all the differences, and I don't know Virginia well, but that's one thing. The bolded seems to imply that a lot of cities are unincorporated, so they are dumped in with county data? I dunno.

There are 38 independent cities, which are considered county-equivalents for census purposes.

Many towns are as large as cities but are not incorporated as cities and are situated within a parent county or counties. Seven independent cities had 2020 populations of less than 10,000 with the smallest, Norton having a population of only 3,687.[1] In 2020, the largest towns were Leesburg (with 48,250 people) and Blacksburg (44,826). Six other towns also had populations of over 10,000 people.[1] For a complete list of these towns, see List of towns in Virginia. For major unincorporated population centers, see List of unincorporated communities in Virginia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_and_counties_in_Virginia

Zoomed in:

image.thumb.png.0346eb9891f4e5ba69b92eb784e9a7c0.png

• Hook 'Em 1

Yes it’s very annoying, as someone who uses county level wage data, having to specify the county or city when it comes to Virginia. Massachusetts also does that too 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, bolverk said:

It could partially be a jurisdiction thing in Virginia causing the data quirk where a lot of cities in Virginia are "independent" of counties, and they're treated separately. That likely doesn't count for all the differences, and I don't know Virginia well, but that's one thing. The bolded seems to imply that a lot of cities are unincorporated, so they are dumped in with county data? I dunno.

There are 38 independent cities, which are considered county-equivalents for census purposes.

Many towns are as large as cities but are not incorporated as cities and are situated within a parent county or counties. Seven independent cities had 2020 populations of less than 10,000 with the smallest, Norton having a population of only 3,687.[1] In 2020, the largest towns were Leesburg (with 48,250 people) and Blacksburg (44,826). Six other towns also had populations of over 10,000 people.[1] For a complete list of these towns, see List of towns in Virginia. For major unincorporated population centers, see List of unincorporated communities in Virginia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_and_counties_in_Virginia

Zoomed in:

image.thumb.png.0346eb9891f4e5ba69b92eb784e9a7c0.png

I live in this part of Virginia, and you've got it pretty well laid out.

On 2/14/2024 at 10:09 PM, Horn Dog said:

Please do not normalize the stupid so that the bar drops even lower.  I don't know how, or what that would look like, since it's probably still dividing and multiplying at the top of a pond somewhere, but it's out there and electable.  

• Like 1