Super Bowl LVII: Chiefs vs. Eagles

4th&Five

14 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Battle of the bands and drumlines! They should have Prairie View vs Grambling for the halftime show. 

People love drum lines. I love drum lines. After Pitt football games the drum line goes outside the stadium and puts on a performance and they always have a good crowd for that. One hoops game a year they also have the drum line perform at halftime. It’s great fun.

Our idea would also have more young folks with an opportunity to take part, the music would be infinitely better and it would be way more appealing to the eyes.

If Rihanna wanted to (while topless) walk around the drum lines I’d be in favor of that.

19 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Had no affect on his route. That happens on every play as well just about. Some of you dipshit Cowboy fans are just the way you are because that was the Eagles.

it was a  hold, but they had been letting that go most the game. I did not like the call and thought it a ticky tack call, but it was a hold. 

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

WTF even have a rule book? This is the opposite of good sense. We’ve all seen games at the high school to pro level that get away from the refs. That’s what happens when you don’t call what you see or decide “a little rule breaking that isn’t bad my opinion is OK.” 

Call every play as you see it. That’s all you can ask from a ref. 

I'm not saying they shouldn't call a penalty. I'm saying until the NFL simplifies its rule book and instructs it's officials to only call egregious penalties and not even look for small ticky tack garbage like this then this will keep happening. Otherwise great games will be completely ruined in the end with people who aren't even playing in the game deciding the outcome of 1 possession games in the final 4 minutes. This was a very good game that was completely ruined. The story is all about the weak penalty call and not how great KC was in the 2nd half after how bad their defense was in the first half. They played a nearly perfect 2nd half offensively but that isn't the story at all. 

I'm not saying they shouldn't call a penalty. I'm saying until the NFL simplifies its rule book and instructs it's officials to only call egregious penalties and not even look for small ticky tack garbage like this then this will keep happening. Otherwise great games will be completely ruined in the end with people who aren't even playing in the game deciding the outcome of 1 possession games in the final 4 minutes. This was a very good game that was completely ruined. The story is all about the weak penalty call and not how great KC was in the 2nd half after how bad their defense was in the first half. They played a nearly perfect 2nd half offensively but that isn't the story at all. 
It wasn't even close to ticky tack. It was an egregious holding call that prevented the route from being ran. He tugged the jersey. Then grabbed him to turn him completely around. It's a rule for a reason.

3dab1fd1f177377300f22f46210d3c38.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

It wasn't even close to ticky tack. It was an egregious holding call that prevented the route from being ran. He tugged the jersey. Then grabbed him to turn him completely around. It's a rule for a reason.

It wasn't even close to that. The route was still run just fine and the receiver was still clear of the defensive back but Mahomes overthrew him by 10 yards. It was a slight tug on the jersey followed by a left hand on the hip as a receiver was breaking out of the whip route. Mahomes could have put a good pass on him and got in the completion for the first down but he overthrew it then got bailed out by a referee deciding the outcome of the game. 

For holding it should have to be a grab then actual hold. Not a grab, slight tug, then release like this was. These are grown men who are all elite athletes. They have to be able to play through slight grabs and contact. 

Now, especially after the borderline call against Ossai that decided the AFC title game, the national narrative is the NFL is rigging games for the Kansas City Chiefs. How is that good for the sport?

Again, I'm not blaming the referee for calling it. I'm blaming the NFL for having such a shitty rule book that a referee feels they have to call that to immediately decide the the league championship game. 

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

It wasn't even close to that. The route was still run just fine and the receiver was still clear of the defensive back but Mahomes overthrew him by 10 yards. It was a slight tug on the jersey followed by a left hand on the hip as a receiver was breaking out of the whip route. Mahomes could have put a good pass on him and got in the completion for the first down but he overthrew it then got bailed out by a referee deciding the outcome of the game. 

For holding it should have to be a grab then actual hold. Not a grab, slight tug, then release like this was. These are grown men who are all elite athletes. They have to be able to play through slight grabs and contact. 

Now, especially after the borderline call against Ossai that decided the AFC title game, the national narrative is the NFL is rigging games for the Kansas City Chiefs. How is that good for the sport?

Again, I'm not blaming the referee for calling it. I'm blaming the NFL for having such a shitty rule book that a referee feels they have to call that to immediately decide the the league championship game. 

I agree mostly with your post, but I think the bigger issue isn't was it a hold or wasn't it (I think it was a very soft call personally). The question is, did they call the entire game the same way.  For the other 58 minutes of that game are we to believe that both teams played perfect pass defense with zero PI's or Defensive holds and then this was the only time either team committed a foul?  I saw numerous times on both teams thorughout the game that they could have called a penalty but they were "letting them play", which is fine.  The bottom line is the refs allowed both teams to play physical all night and swallowed their whistles the entire game until that call.  They only called penalties that had to be called like false starts or offsides and let the players do what they wanted except when the game came down to one play and then they inserted themselves.  I can't believe you all are making me argue for that piece of shit Eagles team.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

So you want the NFL to change to rules to allow slight tugs to make it harder for refs to make these calls in real time.  Got it.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I always assumed that when there are no calls in these situations, it’s because they didn’t see it as opposed to deciding on the fly if it “affected the route” or if they should just “let it go.” A jersey tug is one of those things that, if seen, seems to get called automatically. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I agree mostly with your post, but I think the bigger issue isn't was it a hold or wasn't it (I think it was a very soft call personally). The question is, did they call the entire game the same way.  For the other 58 minutes of that game are we to believe that both teams played perfect pass defense with zero PI's or Defensive holds and then this was the only time either team committed a foul?  I saw numerous times on both teams thorughout the game that they could have called a penalty but they were "letting them play", which is fine.  The bottom line is the refs allowed both teams to play physical all night and swallowed their whistles the entire game until that call.  They only called penalties that had to be called like false starts or offsides and let the players do what they wanted except when the game came down to one play and then they inserted themselves.  I can't believe you all are making me argue for that piece of shit Eagles team.

So many variables go into making a call.  The ref has to determine in a microsecond if the hold impeded the route and thus affected the play.  He throws the flag at the point the hold is being made, not later after seeing if the ball was overthrown or not.  

Also, you have to take into account causative effect here...that hold could have been enough to alter the entire play and that's why PM threw it away.  All the ref can do at that point-in-time is assess if the hold impeded the route, and from his vantage point in that miniscule amount of time to make an evaluation he determined it did impede the WR's ability to make the play.

They have to do that on each and every play, not sit there and go, "How did I call this earlier in the game?  Maybe I should take that into consideration."  Each play is different, and the ref has different vantage points.  You have to call these in a vacuum...there is no other way.

Edited by Uncle Nate
  • Hook 'Em 1

As if the 3 yards made a fucking difference. Look in your fantasy world where the eagles get the ball back with 49 seconds instead of 8 seconds and they get to run 3 plays instead of a Hail Mary that landed 20 yards short of everyone the eagles still don't win. 

The eagles had their chance to put the game away and fucked it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Uncle Nate said:

So many variables go into making a call.  The ref has to determine in a microsecond if the hold impeded the route and thus affecting the play.  He throws the flag at the point the hold is being made, not later after seeing if the ball was overthrown or not.  

Also, you have to take into account causative effect here...that hold could have been enough to alter the entire play and that's why PM threw it away.  All the ref can do at that point-in-time is assess if the hold impeded the route, and from his vantage point in that miniscule amount of time to make an evaluation he determined it did impeded the WR's ability to make the play.

They have to do that on each and every play, not sit there and go, "How did I call this earlier in the game?  Maybe I should take that into consideration."  Each play is different, and the ref has different vantage points.  You have to call these in a vacuum...there is no other way.

I forget.  Are you a Tech fan or Chiefs fan?

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I always assumed that when there are no calls in these situations, it’s because they didn’t see it as opposed to deciding on the fly if it “affected the route” or if they should just “let it go.” A jersey tug is one of those things that, if seen, seems to get called automatically. 

Exactly. Maybe if he doesn’t grab him the 2nd time the ref lets it go, but he went ahead and pulled him twice. Hard to believe that video proof, frame by frame, and an admission from the defender himself won’t mollify folks who think the game was “ruined”. You don’t have to like it, but it’s right in front of your fucking eyeballs and you are lying to yourself if you think it’s not holding. Whether they “should have called it in that situation”, is completely separate. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

Battle of the bands and drumlines! They should have Prairie View vs Grambling for the halftime show. 

I like this idea a lot.  Those drumlines that really know what they're doing are damn impressive to watch and fun as hell to listen to.  

However, 35% of the country...once they find out what HBCU stands for...would bitch about the NFL being "too woke" and boycott the halftime show.  and of course as we know "Boycott" means to watch more intently, turn the volume up, and bitch afterwards about something you "totally didn't watch, but..." 

The most impressive thing about the halftime shows is how they get the whole stage setup and broke down that fast.  But then, if you have a truly talented musician that everybody likes, you just wheel a 2' elevated platform out there with a mic stand, plug in the guitar and get on with the show.  I guess we don't really have anybody like that anymore though.  

1 minute ago, Uncle Nate said:

I'm both.  Granted, Tech legend EJ Holub started me down the road of having the Chiefs as my AFC team, and Mahomes helped reinforce it.

All the cowboys and chiefs/tech fans think it was a great call.  Almost everyone that doesn't have a dog in the fight feels it should have been a no call.  Your point about calling something in a vacuum makes no sense because it seems for the entire game they chose not to make those calls.  Same goes for both offensive lines and holding.  They let them play in the Super Bowl for some reason and don't make a lot of calls.  They did the same last night but then on the most crucial play they chose to do something different than they have all night. 

• Hook 'Em 1

How many Defensive holding and PI were called the entire game on either team?  The refs let them play and both teams played physical like that the entire game but on the one crucial play where they could literally end the game they make that call which is bullshit.  By the way, I could care less which of those two shit teams one the game.  The ref robbed the fans of a great finish where who knows which team wins the game.  

The DB admitted he held the receiver “hoping he’d get away with it”.

The game didn’t turn on that. Chiefs got a scoop and score on a fumble. They nearly ran a punt back for a TD. You have to play a smart complete game. Eagles did not. Lane Johnson was jumping every play and wasn’t called.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

All the cowboys and chiefs/tech fans think it was a great call.  Almost everyone that doesn't have a dog in the fight feels it should have been a no call.  Your point about calling something in a vacuum makes no sense because it seems for the entire game they chose not to make those calls.  Same goes for both offensive lines and holding.  They let them play in the Super Bowl for some reason and don't make a lot of calls.  They did the same last night but then on the most crucial play they chose to do something different than they have all night. 

Well, you clearly didn't read my post at all.  And the DB even admitted he was holding him.  But you got your narrative and by golly you are going to stick to it...don't confuse you with facts.

4 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

The game didn’t turn on that. Chiefs got a scoop and score on a fumble. They nearly ran a punt back for a TD. You have to play a smart complete game. Eagles did not. Lane Johnson was jumping every play and wasn’t called.

Just curious but are you a Chiefs or tech fan?  

As I said in previous posts it's not that there was a hold there it's that I feel the call was terrible within the context of how the game was called.  The fact you bring up Lane Johnson jumping every play and no calls shows the refs swallowed their whistles the entire game for both teams until that one defensive holding call.  Unless you believe that both teams defenses played perfect pass coverage the entire game and didn't hand fight/hold/touch the receivers until that one play when it was so egregious it just had to be called.  

14 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

You call out a Tech fan, but your "Tom-dom" renders you absolutely objective.   LOLz.

It was a hold. Period.  

54 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Cowboy homer calls it egregious. Holy shit yall are a pathetic fan base.

I mean, it effectively ended the game so to say it didn’t turn on that is a little disingenuous. Would the Eagles have gone down and scored? Who knows? But the game was over when the flag was thrown.

It was a hold. It sucks to see the game end like that from an entertainment perspective and I do feel like they were letting a lot of stuff like that go over the course of the game, so to see it thrown all of a sudden is odd. But it was a hold, Philly didn’t get screwed.
  • Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

So you’re arguing:

1) not a hold

and (2) ossai’s hit wasn’t late

and therefore (3) there’s a “national” narrative about games being rigged for the chiefs?

I will go ahead  and disagree with all 3 of these points. This is child-like conspiracy theory shit

37 minutes ago, speed817 said:

So you want the NFL to change to rules to allow slight tugs to make it harder for refs to make these calls in real time.  Got it.....

I want refs in the NFL and honestly in all sports to be instructed to call the egregious and otherwise stay the fuck out of the game. If they only have to look for legitimate no question fouls then their performance will get a lot better. That will also greatly reduce the talk about leagues rigging games through the refs. It's a win for everybody.  

If he’s open a little earlier maybe mahomes can throw it while he still has a comfortable pocket and the pass is completed. The tug for sure impeded momentum for the chiefs player and gave it to the eagles player to recover.  Unless one believes the player tugged just  hard enough to pull jersey but not slow the player wearing it. But only true idiot would argue that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3