Texas Rangers 2023 - They're Still Shitty?

ztejas

7 hours ago, cafe society said:

Nah.  We've historically held our own against the Phillies.  The entire NL West kicks the living shit out of the Rangers.  Okay, they MAY break even with the Rockies, but the rest of the division is toxic to the Rangers.

So WERE the Astros

8 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Imagine Halloween night in Philly. 

As the Phillies just got swept!

Fuckin' A.

Bochy and that clubhouse are special as hell.

Considering that last week of the regular season gut punch.

Then the Game 5 gut punch.

And they didn't just get back up off the canvas and "stay in the fight" they got up and laid down some Tyson-in-his-prime haymakers on the Astros.

That was fun as hell.

Friday can't get here soon enough.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I'm still astounded how we got here. So many times this team should've been left for dead. All the injuries, losing deGrom, Max going down. Losing on the way to the playoffs. Just amazing. We could just be that f'ing team this year. Granted, we may end up playing the NL version of that f'ing team. 

• Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I'm still astounded how we got here. So many times this team should've been left for dead. All the injuries, losing deGrom, Max going down. Losing on the way to the playoffs. Just amazing. We could just be that f'ing team this year. Granted, we may end up playing the NL version of that f'ing team. 

Yep. 2010 by the end of the year, getting to the WS became a true goal. Cliff Lee settled in and we started to roll. 2011 was absolutely expected to get back. But this year was way different. Even with our record, it seemed to be smoke and mirrors with our suspect our pitching was. Then to blow the division in the last week to Houston and we then had to go on the road to Tampa. Then on the road to Baltimore. Then on the road to Houston, after a game 6 2011 gutpunch to go down 3-2 going back to Houston.  The fight this team had is amazing. I think Bochy sets that tone.

So glad we are going into a World Series with Bochy instead of Ron Washington. We will finally have a managerial advantage. We didn't have this at all in 2010 or 2011. I don't think this team recovers the way it has without Bochy. He's the calming voice. He's did this before. He elevates his team in the face of adversity. 

5 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yep. 2010 by the end of the year, getting to the WS became a true goal. Cliff Lee settled in and we started to roll. 2011 was absolutely expected to get back. But this year was way different. Even with our record, it seemed to be smoke and mirrors with our suspect our pitching was. Then to blow the division in the last week to Houston and we then had to go on the road to Tampa. Then on the road to Baltimore. Then on the road to Houston, after a game 6 2011 gutpunch to go down 3-2 going back to Houston.  The fight this team had is amazing. I think Bochy sets that tone.

So glad we are going into a World Series with Bochy instead of Ron Washington. We will finally have a managerial advantage. We didn't have this at all in 2010 or 2011. I don't think this team recovers the way it has without Bochy. He's the calming voice. He's did this before. He elevates his team in the face of adversity. 

We also start at home for once. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

We also start at home for once. 

I just hope it matters. We seem to be road warriors these playoffs. 1-3 at home, although all 3 are to Houston, where they just own us at home. We comfortably beat Baltimore in our only other home game.

Crazy that in the last month, which was the last week to end the season and now all 3 rounds of the playoffs, we have only played 4 home games.

I was right there with you. I was looking for improvement. Some signs of progress towards relevance. 
This doesn't feel anything like 2010 or 2011. 

I'm still in disbelief. 102 losses 24 months ago. 94 losses last season. One thing is for certain, Woody stays and I don't think we win 75 games this year. Bochy is a damned wizard.
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Fun to look at some of the posts on the first page.

My comment was pretty prescient.  Those pitcher signings were a good value and if Evan Carter hadn’t been ready their OF would have been a glaring hole this postseason; Carter could end up being similar to Alex Bregman in value and how fans feel about him.  I’m an Astros fan but the Rangers are built to be good for a while.  They have a deep controllable roster and a good farm.  If ownership is willing to support a top 10 payroll then their window could be open indefinitely.  Their deadline move to add Montgomery changed them from an also-ran to a WS team.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 3

I’m wondering if Saturday’s game will be at 730 or earlier in the day.  I’m going up Saturday for the Rams v cowboys on Sunday.  

Trying to see if I should schedule dinner at town hearth Saturday or Sunday night or fuck around and get some tickets 🤔

Edited by CowboyFred

3 minutes ago, CowboyFred said:

I’m wondering if Saturday’s game will be at 730 or earlier in the day.  I’m going up Saturday for the Rams v cowboys on Sunday.  

Trying to see if I should schedule dinner at town hearth Saturday or Sunday night or fuck around and get some tickets 🤔

All games will be at 7:03C 

• Hook 'Em 1

Trying to see if I should schedule dinner at town hearth Saturday or Sunday night or fuck around and get some tickets 
I don't think any World Series games are in the earlier hours. All in the evening, usually the same exact time.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

A lot of Adolis talk and rightfully so, but the moment I knew they were winning was the Carter 2 RBI double ... ok, was 90% sure they were winning.

Evan Carter is a gem. I loved his post-game interview and believed him when he said he has no nerves when it comes to baseball because to him it's just pure fun.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

A lot of Adolis talk and rightfully so, but the moment I knew they were winning was the Carter 2 RBI double ... ok, was 90% sure they were winning.

Good observation. According to Baseball-Reference, on that play our win probability went from hovering around 75% to 91% and never dropped below 91% again.

I won’t say I was certain we would win but the back to back to back singles by Garcia, Garver and Heim in the first gave me a calm and confidence that they were dialed in to their hitting approach and had made the right adjustments.

That Javier top of the zone 93-95mph fastball is a meatball if you are hunting it with the proper mechanics. It’s a son of a bitch if your eyes are all over the place fucking around with his gork.

Corey gonna Corey with that bomb but that 3 single sequence showed me the hitters were not fucking around.

4 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

switch to baked edibles, imo

We always used to joke around about sending some weed brownies to the booth and addressing it from "Thelma in Quinlan" or "Melba in Forney" or some shit.  Never got around to it.  Would've been hilarious to hear stoned out of their brains Grieve and Lewin.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

This really has been too much the last few weeks.  I can laugh at the Cards too?  Feels like a dream.  

They also traded Arozarena to the Rays around the same time.

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

Absolutely incredible that this is where we are.

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lee was the piece that put us over the hump in 2010. It would've been nice to keep him for 2011 because we upgraded the lineup with a swap of Vlad for Beltre.

2 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

I was right there with you. I was looking for improvement. Some signs of progress towards relevance. 

This doesn't feel anything like 2010 or 2011. 

I admit that I'd strayed from baseball in the dark years between the Rangers' flameout of the playoffs vs the Blue Jays. I shit on JD, whose drafting record was putrid. Meanwhile the Astros a bazillion games over a 4-5 year stretch and built a juggernaut. Then COVID and that stupid 60-game MLB season with ghost runners for extra innings, etc. I stopped really following it. But the 2023 Rangers have brought me back in a big, big fucking way. I was out here Opening Day and been with them this entire improbable season.

smmt21405bb81.gif

1 hour ago, speed817 said:

Dug mine out last night too.  Doesn't fit anymore lol

Cut back on the PED's, my man! (I've got a red one from 2010 and I doubt it fits anymore either.)

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Shoulda put money down early.

image.png.34be122df901f751749f0e6a57d929f8.png

I'm kicking myself for not laying down some money when we were still sitting at 40-1 despite having the best record in the AL. I actually texted a buddy to ask him what he thought. deGrom was hurt already but we were still humming along pre-Scherzer/Montgomery. Oh well.

1 hour ago, CowboyFred said:

You can always go to Town Hearth. We don't get the World Series around here very often. It's "fuck around" time.

44 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Good observation. According to Baseball-Reference, on that play our win probability went from hovering around 75% to 91% and never dropped below 91% again.

That was 100% the back breaker. MMP was absolutely on fire after Bregman's HR cut the lead to 4-2 and that was the fatal blow that pushed the lead to six, I think.

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

They also traded Arozarena to the Rays around the same time.

Absolutely incredible that this is where we are.

Lee was the piece that put us over the hump in 2010. It would've been nice to keep him for 2011 because we upgraded the lineup with a swap of Vlad for Beltre.

I admit that I'd strayed from baseball in the dark years between the Rangers' flameout of the playoffs vs the Blue Jays. I shit on JD, whose drafting record was putrid. Meanwhile the Astros a bazillion games over a 4-5 year stretch and built a juggernaut. Then COVID and that stupid 60-game MLB season with ghost runners for extra innings, etc. I stopped really following it. But the 2023 Rangers have brought me back in a big, big fucking way. I was out here Opening Day and been with them this entire improbable season.

smmt21405bb81.gif

Cut back on the PED's, my man! (I've got a red one from 2010 and I doubt it fits anymore either.)

I'm kicking myself for not laying down some money when we were still sitting at 40-1 despite having the best record in the AL. I actually texted a buddy to ask him what he thought. deGrom was hurt already but we were still humming along pre-Scherzer/Montgomery. Oh well.

You can always go to Town Hearth. We don't get the World Series around here very often. It's "fuck around" time.

That was 100% the back breaker. MMP was absolutely on fire after Bregman's HR cut the lead to 4-2 and that was the fatal blow that pushed the lead to six, I think.

We had a neg rep champ.  Now we have a multiquote champ. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Carter double got it to 6-2. Then Adolis hit the dribbler into left that got it to 8-2. 

• Hook 'Em 1