Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

9 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Just went to look for tickets for @uh, and holy fuck they are expensive. $191 / seat is the cheapest. I can almost get 4 tickets for the ut vs lsu / uh vs a&m thing coming up but can’t make it.  Am I just looking too early?  Should I expect reasonable prices later in January?

Depends on how many we lose before then. I doubt though that prices will come down. That’s a primo home game in a season where there really aren’t any until conference starts. 
It’s a small arena and the prices are going to be higher. 

8 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

Just went to look for tickets for @uh, and holy fuck they are expensive. $191 / seat is the cheapest. I can almost get 4 tickets for the ut vs lsu / uh vs a&m thing coming up but can’t make it.  Am I just looking too early?  Should I expect reasonable prices later in January?

UH (#6) is likely the highest ranked opponent we will see this year at Moody, so yeah that ticket is going to cost you. I imagine the prices may come down a bit, but not significantly unless we just shit the bed. If you're looking for cheap tickets you have to attend mid-week, early season, creampuff games when people are still shelling out dough for football games. 

I went to the Rice game and paid $18 + fees to sit on Row B of section 120 (CDC was about 25 feet to me left). Place wasn't close to full. Groups on either side of me weren't even Texas fans, just people in town for work looking for something to do in the evening. One guy was from  Arizona and said it would be impossible to sit where we sitting for a Wildcat game at anywhere close to the price he paid. I try to get to a couple of these shit games to enjoy the arena/experience, but once conference season starts I'm watching on the tube.

Edit to add - check out Vivid Seats, they have sub $100 tickets behind the baskets for the UH game. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 1

our two best coaches had one thing in particular in common: discipline. their teams were disciplined, and when you watched them play on either end of the floor you could see that they were well coached and well drilled. they moved with intensity and purpose, everything moving fast but not in a hurry. when their guys failed play with discipline, intensity, and purpose they rode pine. 

this team has no discipline. this team looks like shaka’s teams. just running around throwing up whatever shot they feel like, with no impetus from the bench for them to do anything different. we had our issues under barnes and beard, but there was a standard, and it was obvious when you watched their teams play. it’s still obvious when you watch tennessee play the last several years, and it’ll be obvious when you watch ole miss play within the next 12 months, if not sooner. i want RT to succeed, but there’s a whole host of coaches i would take to replace him as soon as this season is over. he’s had 27 years in D-1 to show what he can do. this isn’t breaking news. we need an upgrade at HC as soon as possible. i wish RT was the guy; he’s just not.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

our two best coaches had one thing in particular in common: discipline. their teams were disciplined, and when you watched them play on either end of the floor you could see that they were well coached and well drilled. they moved with intensity and purpose, everything moving fast but not in a hurry. when their guys failed play with discipline, intensity, and purpose they rode pine. 

this team has no discipline. this team looks like shaka’s teams. just running around throwing up whatever shot they feel like, with no impetus from the bench for them to do anything different. we had our issues under barnes and beard, but there was a standard, and it was obvious when you watched their teams play. it’s still obvious when you watch tennessee play the last several years, and it’ll be obvious when you watch ole miss play within the next 12 months, if not sooner. i want RT to succeed, but there’s a whole host of coaches i would take to replace him as soon as this season is over. he’s had 27 years in D-1 to show what he can do. this isn’t breaking news. we need an upgrade at HC as soon as possible. i wish RT was the guy; he’s just not.

But he's playing the other guy who wasn't the guy who looks like the guy at Marquette.

• Haha 1

i could be overreacting, but i really don’t think that’s the case. this isn’t just about that one loss last night. the team hasn’t looked great since the first couple of games (and even then only the second halves). to cut to the chase, imo we are not even a bubble team as of today. i believe that we need disu back just to move towards the bubble, as opposed to him returning to help us make a charge at a 4 seed or something. here’s the kenpom projection right now:

IMG_3606.thumb.jpeg.7f3eb5c8a8ed609cd129f0e2669add85.jpeg

8-10 in conference with no ooc victories of note and our two best wins being at home vs TTU and Iowa State. that team doesn’t make the tournament barring a particularly weak field. 

we’ll get disu back, but it will take him quite a while (a month or more) to get his legs and lungs back to the level of top notch big xii play. and then of course we need everyone else to stay healthy as well, which isn’t a a guarantee. 

i think it’s time to start this conversation. there was chatter around here back in october that this team could be as good as/better than last year’s elite 8 team, a team whose success has been largely attributed around here to RT. that senior laden team was built by beard and was battle tested. RT kept it from falling apart, but Beard left the foundations and the players who won those games. we are now seeing once again that RT is far below the likes of beard (and shaka, and barnes) when it comes to bringing a roster together and getting the most out of it. 

i’ll always be a fan of RT, and i’ll always appreciate what he did as an assistant at Texas, especially last year with the job he did helping to hold it all together. not just anyone could have done that. but the fact remains that he is not at the level to the the HC here. he never has been. and you can admit that about a guy while still rooting for him and liking him. but we’ve got to get real- RT is out of his league, and as long he’s our HC we’re just spinning our wheels. we’re back to where we were during the later shaka years.

• Hook 'Em 3

This teams lacks identity. It’s a bunch of individuals none of which are good enough to carry a team on their own. It’s just not fun to watch and makes it hard to stay engaged. Might be time for a DJ or jet pack guy. How about that dog that jumps and catches stuff during timeouts! 

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i think it’s time to start this conversation. there was chatter around here back in october that this team could be as good as/better than last year’s elite 8 team, a team whose success has been largely attributed around here to RT. that senior laden team was built by beard and was battle tested. RT kept it from falling apart, but Beard left the foundations and the players who won those games. we are now seeing once again that RT is far below the likes of beard (and shaka, and barnes) when it comes to bringing a roster together and getting the most out of it. 

i’ll always be a fan of RT, and i’ll always appreciate what he did as an assistant at Texas, especially last year with the job he did helping to hold it all together. not just anyone could have done that. but the fact remains that he is not at the level to the the HC here. he never has been. and you can admit that about a guy while still rooting for him and liking him. but we’ve got to get real- RT is out of his league, and as long he’s our HC we’re just spinning our wheels. we’re back to where we were during the later shaka years.

I think this was just a psychological reaction by some on here after the EE run and seeing RT keep the team together. I posted numerous times that RT is a great guy but not the guy to lead the team whereas everyone was just coming to this board saying “just give him the job!” When there was nothing in RT’s background that made him qualified to be the HC here. I’ve also said I really want to be wrong and hope he wins big here and I will be rooting for him and the team. And while it’s early, it does feel like this tenure isn’t going to go well. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On the flip side, Texas is eight games into a season with most of the main pieces being new and one of its best weapons yet to play due to injury.  I'm shocked...SHOCKED I tell you... that the team isn't already playing in peak form.  They've lost two games to top-10 teams away from home, one of which was to a coach who always overachieves this time of year and who was extremely motivated to prove something. 

Yes, there is quite a bit of room for improvement.  There are also a lot of games left to be played.  Go ahead and get Terry's dismissal papers ready to sign if you must, but I'm going to give him a little more time.  

Some other top-25 teams with two or more losses:
Marquette
Duke
North Carolina
Kentucky
Tennessee
Aggy
Wisconsin

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

On the flip side, Texas is eight games into a season with most of the main pieces being new and one of its best weapons yet to play due to injury.  I'm shocked...SHOCKED I tell you... that the team isn't already playing in peak form.  They've lost two games to top-10 teams away from home, one of which was to a coach who always overachieves this time of year and who was extremely motivated to prove something. 

Yes, there is quite a bit of room for improvement.  There are also a lot of games left to be played.  Go ahead and get Terry's dismissal papers ready to sign if you must, but I'm going to give him a little more time.  

Some other top-25 teams with two or more losses:
Marquette
Duke
North Carolina
Kentucky
Tennessee
Aggy
Wisconsin

Get your fucking logical thinking out of here! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, idigTexas said:

I mean, that’s pretty much what everyone is saying. Get Disu back and then evaluate from there.

I’m not sure the condescension was warranted?

6 hours ago, idigTexas said:

I'm shocked...SHOCKED I tell you... that the team isn't already playing in peak form.

last time we were this bad through 8 games we went 11-22. our roster has an average of 3.06 years in d-1 ball, making this the 8th most experienced team in the country. we should not be looking back after 8 games only able to pick out a few good halves of basketball here and there, exclusively against cupcakess.

it isn’t like this team needs time to jell, like they’re all still getting accustomed to one another and they’re just out there over thinking things, having not mastered the offense/defense. it’s that the offense and defense we are employing aren’t any good, despite our roster being better than most. guys are out there doing what we’re asking of them, and the team just isn’t very good. coaching matters. 24/7, 365 it matters.

there’s no amount of time that’s going to pass that’s going to make RT a great coach, which again, is 24/7 gig. we knew who he was coming into this thing. yet for whatever reason, 99% of sports fans still don’t understand that a great coach is worth more than five great players, and that in order to win at this level you need a great coach. you’d think that Beard taking the steaming pile of dog shit that shaka left behind and immediately turning into a respectable team and then a great team in 18 months would have proven that beyond a doubt, but i guess not. don’t delude yourselves; we’re in for a long season. coaching matters so much more than we act like it does. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, idigTexas said:

Go ahead and get Terry's dismissal papers ready to sign if you must, but I'm going to give him a little more time.

28 years as a D-1 coach isn’t enough? shaka smart is a better coach than rodney terry. we know that for a fact. so if your idea of being a great fan is blindly supporting a guy who is way out of his league and is empirically worse than shaka smart, then i’d say you’ve got your priorities mixed up. RT is an assistant coach at this level. nothing more. 

• Hook 'Em 1

You've convinced me.  How could I be so wrong as to have a little optimism that Terry has learned some things in his 28 years and might actually improve?  If only there were a good example of a coach who has been able to exceed all expectations by accomplishing things at Texas that he was unable to achieve in his previous head coaching gigs.  I mean that shit never ever happens.   It's also my understanding that QBs never get better with experience.  I admit it.  We are doomed.  Don't let that piece of sky hit you.     

Edited by idigTexas

so you would have been in favor of hiring RT away from UTEP coming off a 12-12 season to replace shaka, yes? yeah i don’t think so. 

this is a perfect example of fans not understanding the importance of coaching. it’s easy to look at the players on the court and be able to see what they’re good at and where they struggle, and even easier to accept that as fact. not so easy to sigh when it’s coaches we’re talking about.

Dillion Mitchell is not going to suddenly become a knock down three point shooter- easy to accept.

Brock Cunningham is not suddenly going to become a PG,  bringing the ball up and initiating the offense- easy to accept.

Chendall Weaver is not going to be pulling up off the dribble from 17 feet and knocking down jumpers- easy to accept.

Rodney Terry is not suddenly going to become a great D-1 head coach after nearly three decades of proving that his ceiling at this level is that of a top assistant- so, so difficult for people to accept.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

so you would have been in favor of hiring RT away from UTEP coming off a 12-12 season to replace shaka, yes? yeah i don’t think so. 

this is a perfect example of fans not understanding the importance of coaching. it’s easy to look at the players on the court and be able to see what they’re good at and where they struggle, and even easier to accept that as fact. not so easy to sigh when it’s coaches we’re talking about.

Dillion Mitchell is not going to suddenly become a knock down three point shooter- easy to accept.

Brock Cunningham is not suddenly going to become a PG,  bringing the ball up and initiating the offense- easy to accept.

Chendall Weaver is not going to be pulling up off the dribble from 17 feet and knocking down jumpers- easy to accept.

Rodney Terry is not suddenly going to become a great D-1 head coach after nearly three decades of proving that his ceiling at this level is that of a top assistant- so, so difficult for people to accept.

I'll just say this...there was not a lot of broken hearts in the UTEP fan base when Beard came calling for Terry. 

No, if it were up to me, I would not have hired RT away from UTEP.  No one would have.  Where we cease to share common ground is that I have not already come to the conclusion that what we saw from RT at UTEP is the best he will ever do.  I mean, he showed last season that he is at least capable of competently leading a team with a lot of potential to the Elite Eight.  He has also shown that he is capable of attracting talent to Texas, or at least not scaring it away if you think NIL is the primary factor that determines where players sign.  It remains to be seen if he is capable of repeatedly turning a collection of talent into a cohesive team that makes deep postseason runs.  No coach, even those with skins on the wall, accomplishes that every season, not even Saint Beard.    

You like to constantly remind everyone that you think hiring RT was a huge mistake.  You do it when any little thing goes wrong.  You do it when any little thing goes right.  I suspect you even do it in your sleep.  Trust me, WE KNOW.  We ALL know.  I would suggest that you do not need to keep reminding us, but something inside you says that if you keep repeating it, we will suddenly agree with you.  I also know that telling you that we won't isn't going to change anything.   

My point has always been that RT is the Head Coach at Texas, even if he isn't who any of us would have hired when he was at UTEP.  Most of us have come to terms with why he was hired.  Can we at least see what he can accomplish in this role before we constantly shit on him?  If he performs the way you expect, then sure, scream it from the top of The Tower what a horrible hire this was.  You'll likely have a lot of company to that end.  No one is going to forget that you told us all.   

I'm not predicting years of unparalleled success, and I have not seen anyone else do that.  I'm simply suggesting we give RT the same opportunity to prove himself that we would anyone else that we could have hired.  He's here.  He deserves that much.   

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

I remember posting last March that we better win the whole fucking this this year because by next season the discipline, defense, and roster construction of Beard would be long gone. 

Injuries happened, we didn't get it done, and now we're back wandering the desert looking for the next great coach. As shitty as Beard seems off the court this is also why I advocated giving him a second chance. He was the perfect fit here on the court, I knew the media outrage only lasts 10 seconds in this day of over stimulation, and he was going to be a perfect reclamation project.

But now he's Ole Miss's perfect reclamation project instead of our own. We can stand tall on our self righteous principles feeling good about ourselves while we watch Rodney Terry bumblefuck this program back to missing the tourney. We chose this path as a university so we have no room to complain. Just take the losing and get on with life. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

You like to constantly remind everyone that you think hiring RT was a huge mistake.  You do it when any little thing goes wrong. 

this is a flat out lie. this is not even remotely close to the truth. i’ve barely spoken a negative word about RT since April. and i’ve never gone out of my way to trash him, i’ve only commented on his failures as they’ve happened, as i would any coach. this idea you’ve invented is a total and complete fantasy. 

there’s no point in me trying to converse with someone who’s angry at me over some alternate reality that only exists in his own mind. when you get back to reality, then we can talk about rodney terry.

• Fuck You 1

wow i didn’t even read the rest of your delusional ass fairytale diatribe about me until just now. it’s amazing the way you people will absolutely invent shit out of thin air and then get mad me for it. i’ve barely spoken about RT this season, and i never, i repeat NEVER, go out of my way to trash him. 

i can handle a lot around here. there’s a lot that i let slide off my back. but this shit where you guys completely invent something out of thin air and then get all pissy at me for it has got to be my top two least favorite facets of this site. it’s total and compleye horse shit.

should i have said what i said about shaka the other night? no i shouldn’t have. that was my bad. i reached out to bob and asked him to delete it. that’s on me.

now then, have i ever gone out of my way to trash rodney terry? do i even talk about him with any sort of regularity, either positively or negatively? NO. 

i don’t have a problem admitting when im wrong, but i have a huge problem with you dick heads just straight up inventing shit that i’ve never done or said and then getting mad at me about it and ruining every thread i post in because of it. fuck that. that’s on you. 

• Fuck You 1