45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

How is anyone but Trump going to get the nomination?  I understand the theory that polls tighten as time goes on, but he's so far ahead I find it almost impossible to imagine DeSantis or Pence or whoever moving ahead.  It ain't happening.  Trump will either have to die or withdraw, and he'll never withdraw.

• Hook 'Em 1

How is anyone but Trump going to get the nomination?  I understand the theory that polls tighten as time goes on, but he's so far ahead I find it almost impossible to imagine DeSantis or Pence or whoever moving ahead.  It ain't happening.  Trump will either have to die or withdraw, and he'll never withdraw.

I think we could see somebody decide to run late and swoop in if Trump is eliminated in one way or another.

I think @BamaATL said she’s heard that many are encouraging Brian Kemp to do just that. She’s also warned that would be a very bad thing in that he’s just as terrible as the rest but also knows how to politic.

41 minutes ago, The Dog said:

DOJ was investigating and Garland had to appoint the special counsel once the GOP took over the house.

Yes, how in the world could Garland have had any inclination at all that GOP might take over the House and a special counsel would be needed?

46 minutes ago, The Dog said:

image.thumb.png.03cf24a427357629944c7e11d18056b8.png

DOJ was investigating and Garland had to appoint the special counsel once the GOP took over the house. 

Had nothing to do with the House. Garland was always only going to pursue the orange menace with a special counsel to ward off the PoLiTiCaL PrOsEcUTiOn bullshit as best he could. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I think we could see somebody decide to run late and swoop in if Trump is eliminated in one way or another.

I think @BamaATL said she’s heard that many are encouraging Brian Kemp to do just that. She’s also warned that would be a very bad thing in that he’s just as terrible as the rest but also knows how to politic.

He, but no worries.  I am aware that there are people in Kemp's orbit telling him to run, but to wait until the dust has settled from the initial rush of bullshit candidates that aren't serious but are trying to sell books bow out.  Think January or February for an announcement.  As to whether or not he is honestly considering this, I can't speak to, as I have never met nor spoken to the guy.  I just am aware 2nd hand of people that do know him and what they are saying to him.  I suspect Youngkin in Virginia is being told much the same.  

This has obvious advantages in that you are above the initial fray, and their simply won't be enough time between the official nomination and your announcement to receive a complete national vetting.  DeSantis is proof enough that announcing extremely early can be a huge misfire, and by the time we get to January he will be nothing but a footnote (lots of reasons for this, but still).  Combine that with unique Trump situation, and national Republican donors sitting on the sideline waiting for what they at least perceive as a crossover candidate is very real.  

I will say this, Kemp is a complete right wing nut job.  However, I have to concede he has political awareness and would be somewhat effective in getting some sort of a right wing legislative agenda met.  That's why he's very dangerous in my eyes.  

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Abbott is also sitting on the sidelines

The big money wants a crossover candidate from a purple state, and as much as I would love to declare Texas a purple state, it isn't.  

Combine that with the fact that Abbott is such an obvious fucking goon, and yeah, I don't think so.  Though I would be glad to see him shame himself in the process.  

6 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

He, but no worries.  I am aware that there are people in Kemp's orbit telling him to run, but to wait until the dust has settled from the initial rush of bullshit candidates that aren't serious but are trying to sell books bow out.  Think January or February for an announcement.  As to whether or not he is honestly considering this, I can't speak to, as I have never met nor spoken to the guy.  I just am aware 2nd hand of people that do know him and what they are saying to him.  I suspect Youngkin in Virginia is being told much the same.  

This has obvious advantages in that you are above the initial fray, and their simply won't be enough time between the official nomination and your announcement to receive a complete national vetting.  DeSantis is proof enough that announcing extremely early can be a huge misfire, and by the time we get to January he will be nothing but a footnote (lots of reasons for this, but still).  Combine that with unique Trump situation, and national Republican donors sitting on the sideline waiting for what they at least perceive as a crossover candidate is very real.  

I will say this, Kemp is a complete right wing nut job.  However, I have to concede he has political awareness and would be somewhat effective in getting some sort of a right wing legislative agenda met.  That's why he's very dangerous in my eyes.  

Oh, shit -- sorry!!!!

• Hook 'Em 1

Somebody upthread asked how much time Trump was looking at if he's convicted on these things. He's telling his supporters he's looking at 561 years in prison in his latest fundraising materials: https://www.mediaite.com/trump/561-years-in-prison-trump-fundraising-off-of-recent-indictment-with-dire-warning-you-could-be-thrown-in-jail-for-6-lifetimes/

It’s not out of the ordinary for a politician to try to spin negative news into a positive while fundraising off of it. But the manner in which former President Donald Trump is spinning his latest indictment for, among other things, allegedly DEFRAUDING the United States is patently absurd.

On Tuesday afternoon, Special Counsel Jack Smith filed a stunning 45-page indictment in which prosecutors laid out in astonishing detail their allegations that Trump pushed election officials to reject the results of the election in their states, while concocting a plot with several co-conspirators to fraudulently overturn the election, despite knowing their claims of election fraud were false.

On Wednesday morning, Trump thanked his loyal surrogates for defending him in what can fairly be called a manic social media post, and shortly thereafter his campaign sent out a fundraising note that was pegged to an astounding fact that he is now facing “561 YEARS in prison from the Left’s witch hunts.”

That’s a lot of years sure, but incase that was lost on the targeted Trump donor, “6 LIFETIMES…” was added for good measure. Read the full email below:

Patriot,

With Crooked Joe’s corrupt DOJ having unlawfully INDICTED yours truly yet again, reports indicate that I could now face a combined 561 YEARS in prison from the Left’s witch hunts.
6 LIFETIMES…

…There’s only ONE MESSAGE someone can send by trying to throw you in jail for 6 lifetimes, and that’s FEAR.
The fear that if you vote for the ONLY candidate who puts you FIRST, you too could be harassed, indicted, and even ARRESTED by the current Marxist regime in Washington.

Because these endless witch hunts and indictments aren’t really about me, they’re about YOU having a voice in your own country.
I’m just standing in the Left’s way – and I always will.

Rest assured, Patriot, if there’s ONE thing I’m willing to risk my freedom for, it’s YOUR FREEDOM.

But while the Democrats continue to send America barreling towards tyranny, I ask that YOU peacefully stand with me during these dark times – as one UNITED Republican Party – and PROVE that we will NEVER SURRENDER the country we hold so dear.

However, if you’re struggling right now due to Crooked Joe’s policies and the sinister Swamp creatures in Washington, please just hit the back button and go about your day. In that case, I don’t want you to even think about donating!

But if you can contribute even just $1, God knows how much our country needs patriots like YOU at this pivotal moment in history…
Please make a contribution of any amount – truly, even just $1 – to show that our movement will NEVER SURRENDER our country to the Left’s tyranny even as Crooked Joe and his Deep State thugs try to JAIL me for 561 YEARS.

The message that Trump alone is standing in the way of his supporters’ “FREEDOM” surely resonates for every Trump voter who also is planning a scheme to submit slates of fake electors in several swing states in an effort to overturn an election they lost. If Johnny Trumpvoter can’t do that, then how is this even a democracy anymore, amirite?!

But will this naked plea for money work for the Trump campaign? Well there appear to be diminishing returns on Trump’s post-indictment fundraising, per a recent Politico report. According to fundraising data available on the FEC website, (which was researched by NewsNation producer Adam Hainsfuther) in the week following Trump’s first two indictments, his campaign raised more than $4 million and more than $2.25 million respectively.

This brings up some obvious questions: Will Trump’s campaign continue to see diminishing returns in post-indictment fundraising following this third indictment? And would that be a sign of weakening support for the GOP frontrunner?

We shall see!

Somebody upthread asked how much time Trump was looking at if he's convicted on these things. He's telling his supporters he's looking at 561 years in prison in his latest fundraising materials: https://www.mediaite.com/trump/561-years-in-prison-trump-fundraising-off-of-recent-indictment-with-dire-warning-you-could-be-thrown-in-jail-for-6-lifetimes/
It’s not out of the ordinary for a politician to try to spin negative news into a positive while fundraising off of it. But the manner in which former President Donald Trump is spinning his latest indictment for, among other things, allegedly DEFRAUDING the United States is patently absurd.
On Tuesday afternoon, Special Counsel Jack Smith filed a stunning 45-page indictment in which prosecutors laid out in astonishing detail their allegations that Trump pushed election officials to reject the results of the election in their states, while concocting a plot with several co-conspirators to fraudulently overturn the election, despite knowing their claims of election fraud were false.
On Wednesday morning, Trump thanked his loyal surrogates for defending him in what can fairly be called a manic social media post, and shortly thereafter his campaign sent out a fundraising note that was pegged to an astounding fact that he is now facing “561 YEARS in prison from the Left’s witch hunts.”
That’s a lot of years sure, but incase that was lost on the targeted Trump donor, “6 LIFETIMES…” was added for good measure. Read the full email below:
 Patriot,
With Crooked Joe’s corrupt DOJ having unlawfully INDICTED yours truly yet again, reports indicate that I could now face a combined 561 YEARS in prison from the Left’s witch hunts.
6 LIFETIMES…
…There’s only ONE MESSAGE someone can send by trying to throw you in jail for 6 lifetimes, and that’s FEAR.
The fear that if you vote for the ONLY candidate who puts you FIRST, you too could be harassed, indicted, and even ARRESTED by the current Marxist regime in Washington.
Because these endless witch hunts and indictments aren’t really about me, they’re about YOU having a voice in your own country.
I’m just standing in the Left’s way – and I always will.
Rest assured, Patriot, if there’s ONE thing I’m willing to risk my freedom for, it’s YOUR FREEDOM.
But while the Democrats continue to send America barreling towards tyranny, I ask that YOU peacefully stand with me during these dark times – as one UNITED Republican Party – and PROVE that we will NEVER SURRENDER the country we hold so dear.
However, if you’re struggling right now due to Crooked Joe’s policies and the sinister Swamp creatures in Washington, please just hit the back button and go about your day. In that case, I don’t want you to even think about donating!
But if you can contribute even just $1, God knows how much our country needs patriots like YOU at this pivotal moment in history…
Please make a contribution of any amount – truly, even just $1 – to show that our movement will NEVER SURRENDER our country to the Left’s tyranny even as Crooked Joe and his Deep State thugs try to JAIL me for 561 YEARS.
The message that Trump alone is standing in the way of his supporters’ “FREEDOM” surely resonates for every Trump voter who also is planning a scheme to submit slates of fake electors in several swing states in an effort to overturn an election they lost. If Johnny Trumpvoter can’t do that, then how is this even a democracy anymore, amirite?!
But will this naked plea for money work for the Trump campaign? Well there appear to be diminishing returns on Trump’s post-indictment fundraising, per a recent Politico report. According to fundraising data available on the FEC website, (which was researched by NewsNation producer Adam Hainsfuther) in the week following Trump’s first two indictments, his campaign raised more than $4 million and more than $2.25 million respectively.
This brings up some obvious questions: Will Trump’s campaign continue to see diminishing returns in post-indictment fundraising following this third indictment? And would that be a sign of weakening support for the GOP frontrunner?
We shall see!

Chances are he’ll be dead before the appeals process finishes. That will be years, post-trials. We’ll just have a convicted felon as the Republican nominee. The law and order party.
  • Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Abbott is also sitting on the sidelines

27 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

There is zero chance that Abbott steps into the race.

SeewhatIdidthere?

I laughed.  Yep, straight to hell.  Who's with me?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Especially when you wait nearly two years to appoint someone to do it.

You realize that Smith was appointed to take over whatever existing investigation there was, right?  And that there was no call to appoint a special counsel and no legal reason to do so until Trump declared his candidacy?

The appointment of Smith was a very happy coincidence, though, both in terms of Smith the man, apparently, and the fact that the special counsel is his own deal, with his own budget and people, not responsive to the chain of command in the DOJ and with a discrete mission, unlike other US Attorneys.

• Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Yes, how in the world could Garland have had any inclination at all that GOP might take over the House and a special counsel would be needed?

Well, because that's not the reason a special counsel was needed.  It was because Trump declared his candidacy, which made the simmering conflict of interest between him and Biden real.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Yes, because the only two choices were:

1.  Rush the investigation and be sloppy.

or

2.  Wait nearly two years to appoint a prosecutor.

It's like you're doing a slorch bit.

Ok, this is bullshit.  If you read the WaPo article carefully, it doesn't say there was no investigation, but it does say that certain aspects of the investigation were slow developing.  Namely the false electors, which is still not being asserted as a crime unto itself except in Michigan and possibly Georgia.  It also says that the 1/6 prosecutors planned to work their way up from the individual rioters until it became apparent that there was little or no connection to Trump or his minions.

The DOJ doesn't "appoint prosecutors," except in the case of special counsel, which is not some special ninja assassin US Attorney, it is one appointed when there is a conflict of interest between an investigation or prosecution target and the DOJ or its nominal head, POTUS.  Otherwise, it's the US Attorney with geographic jurisdiction over the offense, in this case USAO D. D.C.  Which was a leeetle bit busy.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Some PAC should start running ads on sports events explaining how all of the Republicans told Trump he lost - and the Trumps lawsuits were dismissed by Trump judges because the lies told by him were not supported by the facts - which was known to all of the non-crazy GOP Trump lawyers. 

Then say Trump destroyed the lives of many Republicans at J6 because they believed his lies.

2 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

One saying because of his lies the donations do not go to GOP campaigns - but to his lawyers and his wife ‘s hair stylist. 

One about Bannon grifting trump fans, being convicted, and Trump pardoning him while not pardoning J6 peeps when he had a chance. 

It really should have been hammered home that Trump took in hundreds of millions of dollars after the election, yet wouldn't spend one dime on the legal assistance of the J6 nutters, while his wife's hairstylist rakes in six figures. He also wouldn't pardon the J6 nutters even though he had a week or two to do so. He wouldn't greet the J6 "patriots" when they finished their prison sentences, wouldn't try and help them find work, etc.

MAGA needs to be shown that he gave no fuck about them or the J6 "patriots".

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Dude.  Most of the posters here are in their late 30s to 50s (excluding Armybrat, who's from the 1750s).  If we were at a neighborhood pool party, and a gal who looked like Jen Psaki walked out onto the deck in a tight swimsuit and one of those gauzy wraps, her red hair shining in the sun.....every damned head here would damn well turn and smile to check her out.  She's not a 20 yr old Instagram model.  Cool.  She's a very attractive, smart, and witty 45 yr old woman.  Sign.  Me.  Up.

fuck…someone beat me to it (caddyshack gif)

Edited by Homercles
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just as a thought experiment, if anyone wants to explore what might have happened had indictments on all or most of this shit come down a year ago (which I think is the practical earliest), I'd be happy to spin that out.  MIght be kind of fun.

Some thoughts:

• we might well have a conviction in hand
  • that conviction would be on appeal
  • Trump would be free on appeal just as he is now, most likely
  • it wouldn't have stopped him from running
  • it wouldn't stop him from receiving the nomination
  • I suspect he would be sentenced to prison
  • the appeal may be resolved prior to the election

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

SIAP:

image.thumb.jpeg.775406df10a725df388c57c5723e9232.jpeg

Stuff like this just makes me believe 100% that he colluded with Putin. He wins his "elections" in Russia with like 99% of the vote. Trump takes that as why can't we implement that here? Hence his refusal to acknowledge the result of a free and fair election, because he truly believes in "democratic" dictatorships like Russia. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Truth. Anyone who says otherwise has a touch of the ghey (nttawwt).

Fine, fine...I'll play your damn games:

Fuck-Sean Spicer 

Marry-Anthony Scaramucci

Kill-everyone else in that white house

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, bolverk said:

It's been that way with Republican politicians for quite a while now, though I agree that Trump took "truthiness" as Colbert coined the term and shot the concept in the head.

You probably remember this passage in a famous piece by Ron Suskind:

In the summer of 2002, after I had written an article in Esquire that the White House didn't like about Bush's former communications director, Karen Hughes, I had a meeting with a senior adviser to Bush. He expressed the White House's displeasure, and then he told me something that at the time I didn't fully comprehend -- but which I now believe gets to the very heart of the Bush presidency.

The aide said that guys like me were "in what we call the reality-based community," which he defined as people who "believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality." I nodded and murmured something about enlightenment principles and empiricism. He cut me off. "That's not the way the world really works anymore," he continued. "We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality -- judiciously, as you will -- we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors . . . and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do."

https://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/17/magazine/faith-certainty-and-the-presidency-of-george-w-bush.html

I remember that well. I would’ve sworn I first read it in The Price of Loyalty, Suskind’s book about Paul O’Neill’s time in the Bush/Cheney administration. But I don’t have it bookmarked and I’m pretty sure that if it were in there, it would be. That quote is attributed to Karl Rove and I seem to recall an article coming out later where it was confirmed by a third party who was privy to the conversation. But I guess my memory is suspect. According to Wikipedia, Karl denies saying it and calls it fictitious. That’s as good as a confession afaic. If it was fictitious, he couldn’t know it since Suskind never revealed the source. It’s exactly the sort of thing you’d expect someone who holds the worldview expressed in the quote to say about the quote. No way ol’ Turd Blossom didn’t say it.

Bush/Cheney foreshadowed Trump in so many ways. But Trump turned everything up to 11. Economic numbers are public info but he just declares them false or true however it suits him. And now other Republicans are copying him. At least Dubya never denied that the housing market crashed. Trump would’ve declared it “fake news” and a “Democrat hoax.”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Some PAC should start running ads on sports events explaining how all of the Republicans told Trump he lost - and the Trumps lawsuits were dismissed by Trump judges because the lies told by him were not supported by the facts - which was known to all of the non-crazy GOP Trump lawyers. 

Then say Trump destroyed the lives of many Republicans at J6 because they believed his lies.

One Ad using the “conspiracy shit from the mothership” quote.   Another talking about the numerous GOP state election people saying their investigation showed no election changing fraud.  

One saying because of his lies the donations do not go to GOP campaigns - but to his lawyers and his wife ‘s hair stylist. 

One about Bannon grifting trump fans, being convicted, and Trump pardoning him while not pardoning J6 peeps when he had a chance. 

All on sports events they cannot self-ignore as effectively 

"Politics has invaded everything!!   The Democrats are weaponizing football!!  Shut up and dribble!!

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Dribbling a football is kind of hard.  Matt Nordgren is a rare exact of someone who can do it well.

I understood the first sentence and agree. I would probably vote for someone just on the fact that they can dribble a football. That's a fucking wizard and they should be leading us.

I don't understand the second sentence at all.

• blacklab changed the title to 45 indicated