45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Goddammit. In looking up one of Trump’s new counsel, I read of another grotesque discovery fuckup (and attempted cover up) coming out of SDNY. 

Thankfully, none of this seems attributable to Smiths teams. 

12 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Dude really looks like he would sniff Julie's panties from the hamper when he was working in the bathroom.

A little judgmental?

edit: been a while since I watched that show, and even then, I might not have known any character's name.  I wrongfully assumed "Julie" was Valerie Bertinelli.  Carry on.

Edited by dcbc

7 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Oh ye of little faith.  You all have to have objectively noticed that while he's been stupid and in bad shape for decades, he's visibly and audibly worn down a lot in the last 12 months, no?  He's put a lot of weight back on, he's slurring words, confusing names and dates and information at every single speech/interview.  His coloring has changed.  His posture is worse than before.  He just looks and sounds substantially worse now than he did in the ~2 years after he left office when he was golfing and grifting.  He may not have a jury conviction by Election Day, but the idea is between him having to fundraise, plus campaign, plus do media, plus make multiple appearances at now four long-extended court-cases...that kind of schedule is brutal on a man of his age and heft.  His conscious brain may tell him it's all worth it, but his subconscious and his body don't seem to be agreeing with him.  He's running himself into the fucking ground.  Even with some little wins in two of the cases, the whole schedule and burden of legal subjugation is eating away at him even if he doesn't know it overtly.  None of this movement dies until he does.  And therein lies the rub.  

And then there's a final solution even if everything is delayed and he does get elected.  I'm way too swamped over here dealing with college football and Seinfeld and drinking and such, but I'm sure someone could find the time.

On 3/6/2024 at 12:14 AM, Hermanator said:

Supreme Court, Congress, etc. are all going to abdicate responsibility and kick the can down the road to leave it up to the American people to ultimately decide if the US will collapse under authoritarian rule. Vote red for fascism. Vote blue for democracy. 

It was always going to be this way and it will come to a head in November and the months after. 

So, it just occurred to me...

If the previous President did anything close to what many are thinking and many are proclaiming, there is real knowledge of it somewhere. There are agencies and departments that know things about just about everything, and this dude isn't the best at hiding what's going on, so it's known.

So with that, if he really did do bad things, we're already screwed. Right?

21 minutes ago, Slacks said:

If the previous President did anything close to what many are thinking and many are proclaiming, there is real knowledge of it somewhere. There are agencies and departments that know things about just about everything, and this dude isn't the best at hiding what's going on, so it's known.

Edit: Fuck my reading skills--they don't care.  Facts and science aren't in their favor, so they create their own, which the press discusses at length.  

Edited by Mdhorn

9 hours ago, safe sex said:

Sad to learn today that Bob Schneider is a douche. 😔

That's your takeaway from all this? This morning, I learned that 9/11 was Bill Clinton's fault. And, you know what? I'm starting to get pretty suspicious about that Jimmy Carter.

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Goddammit. In looking up one of Trump’s new counsel, I read of another grotesque discovery fuckup (and attempted cover up) coming out of SDNY. 

Thankfully, none of this seems attributable to Smiths teams. 

Being that the NY FBI Office was very Trump friendly, I wonder if the Federal Prosecutor's Office has the same issue there.

16 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Eh. Most motions to dismiss raise trial defenses, meaning the defendant can attempt to raise the same or similar issues at trial. This is not particularly out of the ordinary. 

793(e) is the statute under which Trump is charged, while I think it might have been easier to prove 793(D):

(d)
Whoever, lawfully having possession of, access to, control over, or being entrusted with any document, writing, code book, signal book, sketch, photograph, photographic negative, blueprint, plan, map, model, instrument, appliance, or note relating to the national defense, or information relating to the national defense which information the possessor has reason to believe could be used to the injury of the United States or to the advantage of any foreign nation, willfully communicates, delivers, transmits or causes to be communicated, delivered, or transmitted or attempts to communicate, deliver, transmit or cause to be communicated, delivered or transmitted the same to any person not entitled to receive it, or willfully retains the same and fails to deliver it on demand to the officer or employee of the United States entitled to receive it; or
(e)
Whoever having unauthorized possession of, access to, or control over any document, writing, code book, signal book, sketch, photograph, photographic negative, blueprint, plan, map, model, instrument, appliance, or note relating to the national defense, or information relating to the national defense which information the possessor has reason to believe could be used to the injury of the United States or to the advantage of any foreign nation, willfully communicates, delivers, transmits or causes to be communicated, delivered, or transmitted, or attempts to communicate, deliver, transmit or cause to be communicated, delivered, or transmitted the same to any person not entitled to receive it, or willfully retains the same and fails to deliver it to the officer or employee of the United States entitled to receive it; or

As far as I can tell, the bolded is the difference. 

Trump's possession was both authorized (while in office) and unauthorized (after leaving office).  The gravamen of the offense, though, is "willfully retaining," but the gubmint is still going to have to prove all of the elements of the offense, which includes authorized or unauthorized possession.  I guess the question is when does it matter?  At the time the defendant came into possession of the documents or at the time they were willfully retained?  Some other time?

That was where the vagueness inquiry focused.  The broad concern is that a vague statute either does not "give notice" that a crime is a crime, or could encompass what ought not be criminal activity, such as leaving office and accidentally retaining NDI, as Pence and Biden seem to have done and Trump wants us to believe he did.  Cannon's question quoted above is stupid:  even if Biden and Pence had unauthorized possession as of leaving office, they didn't commit an offense under the statute until they willfully retained or communicated or one of the other things itemized in the statute.

She definitely does not seem to be the sharpest knife in the drawer and/or easily distracted by unimportant aspects.

Edited by TwiceHorn

21 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Being that the NY FBI Office was very Trump friendly, I wonder if the Federal Prosecutor's Office has the same issue there.

Possibly.  The more likely explanation is "cops gonna cop" (referring more broadly to issues of discovery abuse/Brady violations at SDNY).  There also seems to be some historical basis for feds just not cooperating with state prosecutors and cops, just because.

Whatever it is, it's stupid.

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Possibly.  The more likely explanation is "cops gonna cop" (referring more broadly to issues of discovery abuse/Brady violations at SDNY).  There also seems to be some historical basis for feds just not cooperating with state prosecutors and cops, just because.

Whatever it is, it's stupid.

I watched the documentary about how they took down the Teflon Don. The feds and the state organized crime task force were absolute enemies, and refused to cooperate with each other. They finally found a way to get convictions after a brief moment of cooperation. So yeah, there is great historical antipathy between the two agencies.

Even decades later, they were badmouthing each other in the documentary 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, Slacks said:

Just some light reading....

https://www.project2025.org/

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

Just some light reading....

https://www.project2025.org/

In that link, the Dept of Health and Human Services document has the following statement on pg 455

Whatcha gonna do with that data, christofascists?

IMG_0202.thumb.jpeg.38c7cbb1116caeb43e371a34fcd49028.jpeg

Day after pills. Gone.

IMG_0204.thumb.jpeg.9ed1a512b6539aed8bc04934319deaad.jpeg

“moral taint”

IMG_0203.thumb.jpeg.1f0a31719667e42cb73a71bafb12e2d6.jpeg 

Addressing the health of undocumented immigrants? Nope. ship ‘em to homeland security.

IMG_0205.thumb.jpeg.fb5b4a037dc8725d4587b6de9a386e1c.jpeg

And that was just a brief review of a few pages.

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

He's never going to face any serious consequences.  Ever.  I don't know why some folks still don't get it.

The system simply isn't designed to handle malfeasance at his level. And even in the instances where it is, sorta....the fascist autocratic movement that is the GQP has simply ground the machine to a halt.  in or out of office, Donald Trump is the closest thing to an absolute monarch this country has had since we kicked the English out.  "The King Can do no Wrong."  That's the rule.  If Trump does it, it's okay, because he's Trump, and he can do whatever he wants because he is our One True King (and yes, the "divine right of kings" fits here as well -- Trump is anointed by God himself).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

2 hours ago, GenXer said:

In that link, the Dept of Health and Human Services document has the following statement on pg 455

Whatcha gonna do with that data, christofascists?

IMG_0202.thumb.jpeg.38c7cbb1116caeb43e371a34fcd49028.jpeg

Day after pills. Gone.

IMG_0204.thumb.jpeg.9ed1a512b6539aed8bc04934319deaad.jpeg

“moral taint”

IMG_0203.thumb.jpeg.1f0a31719667e42cb73a71bafb12e2d6.jpeg 

Addressing the health of undocumented immigrants? Nope. ship ‘em to homeland security.

IMG_0205.thumb.jpeg.fb5b4a037dc8725d4587b6de9a386e1c.jpeg

And that was just a brief review of a few pages.

Someone needs to cliff's notes this and send it to all registered voters on both sides.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

He's never going to face any serious consequences.  Ever.  I don't know why some folks still don't get it.

The system simply isn't designed to handle malfeasance at his level. And even in the instances where it is, sorta....the fascist autocratic movement that is the GQP has simply ground the machine to a halt.  in or out of office, Donald Trump is the closest thing to an absolute monarch this country has had since we kicked the English out.  "The King Can do no Wrong."  That's the rule.  If Trump does it, it's okay, because he's Trump, and he can do whatever he wants because he is our One True King (and yes, the "divine right of kings" fits here as well -- Trump is anointed by God himself).

And again, why does it have to be someone so obviously stupid?  I would at least like it to be some criminal genius mastermind that is going to end our republic.  But nope, just Chuck Testa.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

The system simply isn't designed to handle malfeasance at his level.

We have enough information to guess what Thomas Jefferson would have recommended, but it's strong medicine.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

We have enough information to guess what Thomas Jefferson would have recommended, but it's strong medicine.

If we water the tree of liberty with Trump’s blood, it may whither and die like everything else that contacts him. 

• Hook 'Em 9

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

If we water the tree of liberty with Trump’s blood, it may whither and die like everything else that contacts him. 

Not saying it's a good idea, just saying the founding fathers thought about it

Regarding his trial: Poor Donald. Wop-wawp.

Regarding everything outside the trial: Donald ascendant! The crooked Biden-loving, Never-Trumper, slutty negress leads the witch hunt! Money pours in. Undecided dumbasses think, "maybe there is something to this being a witch hunt. We're so polarized now. Both parties are so bad. At least Trump had a great economy and worldwide respect."

Captain Obvious sighs, "I guess I'm invisible."

• Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

To add- if we don’t, he will piss on it until it dies.  So either path leads to the same bad outcome. 

the point of no return was letting him into the arboretum.

This.  All was lost the moment that Trump was let into the GQP (there's definitely an argument that all was lost even before, and Trump was the culmination of the enshittening).  But it was definitely all lost the day he was welcomed into a party made up of the weakest, most spineless, unprincipled hateful cowards the world has ever seen.

Once that happened, no good outcome was possible.  All paths forward are very, very, very bad.  It's just a question of how bad, and even that's hard to discern.  It's like asking whether you'd prefer to experience the firebombing of Tokyo or the nuking of Hiroshima.  Either one of those.....is fucking AWFUL.  But that's where we are with the disease of Trumpism.  The disease will kill us.  Or the cure will kill us.  Either way, we're a dead country walking.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

spacer.png

Why don't we go ahead and test that theory?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Not saying it's a good idea, just saying the founding fathers thought about it

Back then someone would’ve challenged him to a duel when he lied, and the orange shit-stain, being a coward, would’ve refused.  Under the customs and culture of the time that would’ve been the end of his career.  

• Hook 'Em 5

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

To add- if we don’t, he will piss on it until it dies.  So either path leads to the same bad outcome. 

the point of no return was letting him into the arboretum.

if either outcome is the same... sooner rather than later is best. just saying. Delaying the inevitable outcome seems like folly. 

7 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

No, I don’t think that’s correct. I’m pretty sure that would be nourishing to the tree. I say we should do it.