18,000 cattle lost in a fire - Dimmitt, TX

MonkeyDoughnut

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

If you have 5,000 head of cattle in a 50 acre feedlot with all of the feed they can possibly eat, and an open gate to a 10,000 acre pasture knee deep in Coastal Bermuda. 100% 0f the cattle will be shoulder to shoulder in the feedlot. All they care about is what every other creature cares about, the most calories that can be consumed for the least amount expended. So, actually the feedlot is their paradise.

It’s not their paradise.  They may eat at the bunk, but they’ll go loaf in the grass as soon as they’re done eating  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

I've worked on a dairy. Dairy cows don't go off to loaf in the pasture after being milked. They crowd around the entrance to the milking floor waiting for the next opportunity to get their feedbag on.

CHIEF

Being fed in the barn has nothing to do with why they want in. Feeding during milking is actually counterproductive. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Hpara759 said:

That's who owns the dairy

A) You clearly didn't get that I was making fun of your use of the possessive instead of plural.

B) You got me curious, so I looked up the ownership.

The South Fork Dairy is owned by the Frank Brand family and has been in operation for less than a year and employs around 60 people.

https://www.wisfarmer.com/story/news/2023/04/11/fire-explosion-at-texas-dairy-farm-leaves-1-injured-18000-cows-dead/70106032007/

The owner is from Comanche County, Texas. What information do you have otherwise?

https://opencorporates.com/companies/us_tx/0803428312

3 hours ago, CHIEF said:

I've worked on a dairy. Dairy cows don't go off to loaf in the pasture after being milked. They crowd around the entrance to the milking floor waiting for the next opportunity to get their feedbag on.

CHIEF

False.  They do go chill out, eat, graze/ etc.

They want in the barn because their teats( will) hurt.

1 minute ago, bolverk said:

A) You clearly didn't get that I was making fun of your use of the possessive instead of plural.

B) You got me curious, so I looked up the ownership.

https://www.wisfarmer.com/story/news/2023/04/11/fire-explosion-at-texas-dairy-farm-leaves-1-injured-18000-cows-dead/70106032007/

The owner is from Comanche County, Texas. What information do you have otherwise?

https://opencorporates.com/companies/us_tx/0803428312

I'm from Dimmitt....I know the previous owner of the land the dairy is on....he told me California guy bought it.....

California folks bought up a lot of land in Castro Co. And put in dairy's....

I have 2 other friends that sold their land to California folks that put dairy's in.

big business... big dairy's

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Hpara759 said:

I'm from Dimmitt....I know the previous owner of the land the dairy is on....he told me California guy bought it.....

I have 2 other friends that sold their land to California folks that put dairy's in.

I understand it's big business, but you're wrong about the ownership of this particular operation.

Owner Information:
Owner: BRAND ELTJE FRAN & JONIE ANN
In Care of:
Sequence: 1
Interest: 1.00
Exempt: 0
Mailing Address: PO BOX 11 , ENERGY TX 76452-0011

image.thumb.png.6c9081f0d73b65617381b50b0fedee73.png

You can look it up yourself on the Castro County CAD.

https://maps.pandai.com/castrocad/

20 hours ago, CHIEF said:

What's even more hilarious is to have the audacity to actually think you can ascribe your human emotions and sense of morality to cattle. If you have 5,000 head of cattle in a 50 acre feedlot with all of the feed they can possibly eat, and an open gate to a 10,000 acre pasture knee deep in Coastal Bermuda. 100% 0f the cattle will be shoulder to shoulder in the feedlot. All they care about is what every other creature cares about, the most calories that can be consumed for the least amount expended. So, actually the feedlot is their paradise.

CHIEF

Factory farming is cruel to the animals, even if they "want" or "prefer" it.

I don't want billions to starve, I'm not a vegetarian (just had a delicious ham sandwich for lunch), but I also buy locally raised, grass fed beef at my local butcher. We should be at least trying to move away from factory farming. Even if it means the price of a McDonald's burger goes up a buck or two.

• Hook 'Em 3

There are plenty of alt-produced food options out there if you look for them.  And pay for them.  But scaling it enough to displace large CAFO's would require major, expensive infrastructure changes.  We just don't undertand how BIG agriculture is.  I don't have access to any numbers, but I gotta believe our cheeseburgers would go up more than $2.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

There are plenty of alt-produced food options out there if you look for them.  And pay for them.  But scaling it enough to displace large CAFO's would require major, expensive infrastructure changes.  We just don't undertand how BIG agriculture is.  I don't have access to any numbers, but I gotta believe our cheeseburgers would go up more than $2.

because of the loss of a large dairy herd?
you should be more worried about that milk shake price

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Factory farming is cruel to the animals, even if they "want" or "prefer" it.

I don't want billions to starve, I'm not a vegetarian (just had a delicious ham sandwich for lunch), but I also buy locally raised, grass fed beef at my local butcher. We should be at least trying to move away from factory farming. Even if it means the price of a McDonald's burger goes up a buck or two.

So you still eat beef? How big is the ethical gap between a feed lot cow being raised for slaughter and a free range cow being raised for slaughter? Where is the line drawn?

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

So you still eat beef? How big is the ethical gap between a feed lot cow being raised for slaughter and a free range cow being raised for slaughter? Where is the line drawn?

Most of those cattle except for dairy culls are going to have spent plenty of time on grass before the finishing phase. Very little beef cattle cow/calf confinement. 

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Where is the line drawn?

I think the line is drawn somewhere between the kitchen and the dining room table.
For many they choose to not eat meat, it is an option. My son says it is a healthy option; I have yet to find any vegatables that are substitute for good BBQ.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, ztejas said:

That's a real good question.  I raise chickens for eggs. And we try to buy our meat from a couple of local family farms around here. I think it's worth the extra cost for the environment and it taste better. And I would rather give my money to a local person than con agra or whatever corporation owns most of the slaughter houses. With that being said, that's not a realistic option for most people because of either the cost or availability. And, if were going out to eat, I'm still going to get the hamburger or chicken wings that from feed lots. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Hpara759 said:

dairies

• Like 2