2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

15 minutes ago, wood said:

If the Louisville OC is still breathing, yeah, probably so.

14 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Shawn Watson. Derek Wareheim. Charlie Strong. Drew Merhinger. Joe Wickline. 

Jimbo Fisher.

What did I win?

I guess Brian Ferentz is still technically a coach for one more game.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Question on the student part of student athletes. Jonathan Brooks is having his ACL surgery today. It is two weeks from finals. Do they allow athletes the ability to take finals after Christmas?

If you are the starting RB at Texas they do...  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

I wonder if Catalon has some kind of beef. He seemed to ball when he was in there, but I wasn't seeing much of his coverage on TV. 

He played about 138 snaps over the course of the 9 games he was "healthy" in. Tough to get a true read on how good he was or wasn't. Bama and Wyoming were the only two games he registered more than 30 snaps in. 

Edited by Hookem2147

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

That this is his last year even though he has a covid year left.

I know man, I wasn't being critical of your post, more taking the opportunity to run over Crawford, amazing interception and generally good special teams play aside. Dude was here for 4 years and the light bulb not only never came on, the damn thing shattered and started a house fire. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

He played about 138 snaps over the course of the 9 games he was "healthy" in. Tough to get a true read on how good he was or wasn't. Bama and Wyoming were the only two games he registered more than 30 snaps in. 

I loved the way he came up like a missile in run support, without hesitation. Reminded me of ET. We may need him if Williams can't go in the first half.

44 minutes ago, victory88 said:

For fun, let's speculate...

I would expect Texas to lose, to the portal:

1 QB Murphy

1 TE Davis

2 WR Neyor, Cain

4 OL (SGW, Merril, Kirkland, Cajoe are the most likely for varying reasons. They do not want to lose, but may lose, several other back-ups if there's NIL craziness. The only way Cam Williams is leaving is for a giant pile of cash from another major P5 that Texas simply cannot match or doesn't want to match.)

2 DT Carter, Swanson

2 DE hmm... Akana? Finkley came for academics and is in rotation so doubt he'd leave.  Would hate to lose Tapp as he has athleticism the others don't.  Maybe Vasek? Did he play at all?  He's behind a bunch of dudes and now has to compete with Simmons.  I imagine a "5 star" probably wants to play.

2 CB/Star  Brice, Guilbeau/Jordan

2 S  BJ Allen, LTG

I would expect Texas to take, from the portal:

1 TE

3 WR (they are looking at cream of the crop stuff here, and they may decide to be picky and take 1-2 and see what happens this spring)

1 DL

1 LB

1-2 DB (they will take elite DBs only, and apparently Korie Black qualifies)

They don't want to lose Carter, as far as I know. I haven't heard anything about Swanson from anyone, so maybe that's a good guess. 

Regarding DE, it was pure speculation based on numbers and who is joining from recruiting.

I don't think you're wrong on any DB thoughts, but I say that only in the sense that your choices make sense to me, and I also haven't heard anything. I do think they like all 3 of those CB/Star names, so it would probably suck for us to lose more than one of them.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hermanator said:

After what that dude did? 

There's a better chance Sark hires Mike Stoops

What did he do? I thought I read that he verbally got into it with Sark in a meeting. He must've insulted Sark's grandmother or someshit, or said some unsavory things about the Armenia genocide.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

And Sark has re-established the pipeline this year anyways.

My old man was at SMU during the Pony Express days and had a class with Eric Dickerson. Said he only ever saw him twice, the first day of class and the day of the final. And on the final he turned in his test back to the professor 45 seconds after they were handed out and left.

image.jpeg.35d70b387118a068a782fb8540c3956f.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Ohio State players in the Transfer Portal: 

5 ️ WR Julian Fleming
5 ️ QB Kyle McCord
4 ️ RB Evan Pryor
4 ️ S Cam Martinez
4 ️ DE Omari Abor
4 ️ LB Reid Carrico
4 ️ S Kye Stokes
4 ️ CB Jyaire Brown
4 ️ CB Ryan Turner
3 ️ OL Jakob James
3 ️ C/G Vic Cutler
K Parker Lewis

Give me those two OL asap 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

5 ️ WR Julian Fleming
5 ️ QB Kyle McCord
4 ️ RB Evan Pryor
4 ️ S Cam Martinez
4 ️ DE Omari Abor
4 ️ LB Reid Carrico
4 ️ S Kye Stokes
4 ️ CB Jyaire Brown
4 ️ CB Ryan Turner
3 ️ OL Jakob James
3 ️ C/G Vic Cutler
K Parker Lewis

That’s a lotta stars

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

What did he do? I thought I read that he verbally got into it with Sark in a meeting. He must've insulted Sark's grandmother or someshit, or said some unsavory things about the Armenia genocide.

3d25e756-3784-4065-af2e-227f5ac3a5e7_tex

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

5 ️ WR Julian Fleming
5 ️ QB Kyle McCord
4 ️ RB Evan Pryor
4 ️ S Cam Martinez
4 ️ DE Omari Abor
4 ️ LB Reid Carrico
4 ️ S Kye Stokes
4 ️ CB Jyaire Brown
4 ️ CB Ryan Turner
3 ️ OL Jakob James
3 ️ C/G Vic Cutler
K Parker Lewis

Day is taking the Mich loss even worse than everyone thought. He's going to portal the whole fucking team.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Why would they do that? Would you forego getting paid good money to be a big time college star athlete for an extra year or two just to go work a shit job like 99 percent of the population? I sure as fuck wouldn't. 

The only dudes that do this are ones not evaluated as good enough to go in the draft. And the extra COVID year will only be around another year or two then will be out of the game. Seems like a weird thing to get mad about. 

They're not dumb for taking advantage of the system, especially now that there's real money involved. I think the system is dumb to allow them to use this glitch to play a fifth or even sixth season of college football. Maybe I'm the only one bothered by it.

6 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

5 ️ WR Julian Fleming
5 ️ QB Kyle McCord
4 ️ RB Evan Pryor
4 ️ S Cam Martinez
4 ️ DE Omari Abor
4 ️ LB Reid Carrico
4 ️ S Kye Stokes
4 ️ CB Jyaire Brown
4 ️ CB Ryan Turner
3 ️ OL Jakob James
3 ️ C/G Vic Cutler
K Parker Lewis

Are you a Rice or Texas State fan or something?

Maybe you just really like carbs.

Edited by Atticus
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

5 ️ WR Julian Fleming
5 ️ QB Kyle McCord
4 ️ RB Evan Pryor
4 ️ S Cam Martinez
4 ️ DE Omari Abor
4 ️ LB Reid Carrico
4 ️ S Kye Stokes
4 ️ CB Jyaire Brown
4 ️ CB Ryan Turner
3 ️ OL Jakob James
3 ️ C/G Vic Cutler
K Parker Lewis

why?? They aren't happy with the OL despite the star ratings

8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

5 ️ WR Julian Fleming
5 ️ QB Kyle McCord
4 ️ RB Evan Pryor
4 ️ S Cam Martinez
4 ️ DE Omari Abor
4 ️ LB Reid Carrico
4 ️ S Kye Stokes
4 ️ CB Jyaire Brown
4 ️ CB Ryan Turner
3 ️ OL Jakob James
3 ️ C/G Vic Cutler
K Parker Lewis

Cutler was only there a year after coming up from Louisiana-Monroe. He and James were the top two backup centers on an average line.

IMO, Abor has the highest upside. Fleming leaving could hurt if Harrison and Egbuka go to the draft.

Martinez is ass…everyone else is dependent on programs. The DBs are all young and maybe could get into a Ryan Watts-like situation.

36 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

How do you guys feel about the comings and goings in the portal for OU this cycle? 

So far no real surprises on the outgoing list. Trimming some fat with guys that haven’t played or haven’t played very well (Gabriel an exception). 

I thought they did a really good job last year with what they brought in from the portal. A lot of real contributors and some bread, of course. Defensively I think we need some real help at the edge and just some size and depth at DT. We don’t have that edge guy that can just wreck a game for 60 minutes like we usually have. Overall need more depth at safety and corner, but we’ll see. Not always a ton of good options there. 

Offensively we need a 2-deep worthy player at guard and center. The best WR we can get and any TE that will accept our mail. 

Edited by Constant
  • Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Transfer coming in 3...2...

Holy shit. This guy is saying he went to aggy for free? That would be disturbing. He'd look much better saying he only went there because they paid him millions.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Holy shit. This guy is saying he went to aggy for free? That would be disturbing. He'd look much better saying he only went there because they paid him millions.

What he *thinks* he's doing is either a) negotiating for more money at A&M with A&M boosters directly, or he *thinks* he's partially rehabilitating his image to the coaches at potential landing places. 

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

All they're doing is taking up space on a roster at the expense of guys coming in, especially at QB position where you only have one on the field at all times.

Not to mention all these middling talents are going to have unbreakable records simply because they played 50+ college games. Bo Nix has played 60 college games.

So which one took your spot? 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

You could be more wrong about Catalon if you want to try some more.

Catalon was heavily engaged this past weekend coaching up every safety when Texas was on defense and coming off the field. Multiple times he was yelling adjustments to the safeties before snaps. I have no idea how healthy he is, but I would think that a month off would get his body to a place where he could play because apparently, he and Taafe really know what the fuck they are doing.

That's great. I never said he wasn't engaged or coaching guys up this past weekend.

Let's see what happens in the coming days/week.

Edited by Hookem2147

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Shawn Watson. Derek Wareheim. Charlie Strong. Drew Merhinger. Joe Wickline. 

Jimbo Fisher.

What did I win?

just a reminder that while most of that group has failed downward...

• Watson went 2-9 this year at Wofford as their head coach
  • Wareheim got fired in 2022 as the OC at New Mexico only to land at Coastal Carolina under Tim Beck with old friends Craig Naivar (DC) and John Bonney
  • Joe Wickline got fired at Baylor in 2020 and i think is still unemployed?
  • Charlie Strong is back at Bama as an analyst after not getting the DC job at Miami last year

...somehow Drew Mehringer is the TE coach at Oregon and just got a 1 year extension after being there for the last 2 years?

i assume he changed everything about himself as a human being from his time here at Texas, but he still looks like a fucking moron and still has the fauxhawk except now it's much thinner - so guess i was wrong.

Spoiler

Mehringer__Drew.jpg&width=300&type=jpeg vs Drew Mehringer - Football Coach - University of Texas Athletics

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, C-Man said:

They're not dumb for taking advantage of the system, especially now that there's real money involved. I think the system is dumb to allow them to use this glitch to play a fifth or even sixth season of college football. Maybe I'm the only one bothered by it.

Taking advantage? Everyone had their season shortened due to Covid. Everyone gets an extra year because of it. They choose to use it or not, I wouldn't call that taking advantage. Now some can profit off of it....good for them.

Is a player taking advantage of the system if he redshirts?

• Hook 'Em 1

Tarp on Aggie 247, earlier today.

image.thumb.png.046bf4d73ec3b76146ec22b1d95f00e6.png

(Full article)

Monday morning thoughts (VIP)

Tarp (Aggie 247)

Spoiler

Monday morning thoughts (VIP)

Tarp (Aggie 247)

There may be some more guys announce today for the NCAA transfer portal and especially along the defensive line given the departure of former defensive line coach Elijah Robinson to Syracuse. You might have other losses among the wideouts and in the secondary. However, the hire of former Florida defensive line coach Sean Spencer and the retention of other people on staff should help slow the rate of any losses. It should be noted that even with Robinson around A&M might have lost some people anyway. The offensive line may need help but the most important members of the group should return.

However, there is probably going to be a different approach going forward iwith regard to NIL. One issue that schools have had since NIL became a thing in the summer of 2021 is how to manage what is essentially a salary cap situation. You had players getting paid not necessarily based on their production but rather on their star rankings or how much competition there was for their services. Thus, you might have had a roster that featured people getting more money for doing less on the field or younger performers making more than older ones.

No matter what kind of resources you think A&M has, they’re not infinite and they have to be managed. You’re not going to be able to give someone a top deal on every deal. You have to pick and choose your spots.

In addition, one of the things I’ve noticed doing the game previews is the preponderance of upperclassmen and particularly seniors that most programs had. A&M played more underclassmen with the focus being on the 2022 recruiting class where A&M had invested so much in the way of time and resources. Those guys could be physically dominant players against outmanned foes but not so much versus other Power Five programs.

That experience came in handy down the stretch in close games. Just as an example, Oklahoma State starts 14 seniors (many of them redshirt or super seniors) on an outfit that finished ninth in the Big 12 in total offense and dead last in that league in total defense. You may not think much of that conference itself but it’s a tribute to Mike Gundy’s use of the portal he was able to bring players in, acclimate them to their program, and use them to win close games (four of five contests decided by one score or less in 2023). In contrast, A&M lost four games by one score last season.

Overall, things are going to get more attention and more detail going forward. This should lead to a more balanced and experienced roster with an emphasis on current productivity and a better culture across the board. This was something that Mike Elko was able to do at Duke which played a role in him elevating that program during the past two seasons.

Finally…we’ve been told that there are two meetings today, one between Elko and A&M’s remaining staff and another between the players and their new head coach. They need to figure out responsibilities among the coaching staff for the bowl game and there may be some moves besides Spencer in terms of bringing new staff on board.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.