2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

5 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Trey Moore (UTSA EDGE): " ... he’s sure to be one of the more coveted players at the EDGE position in all of the portal." " ... it’s Texas who’s Moore’s current favorite school."

This will be interesting. He's more of a Jack than Buck right? We have a bunch of both on the roster, return both starters, and have Simmons on his way in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Red Five said:

This will be interesting. He's more of a Jack than Buck right? We have a bunch of both on the roster, return both starters, and have Simmons on his way in. 

Sorrell and Burke are 260-ish. Seems Moore (230's) is smaller like Simmons (for now) and would give him some breathing room to develop. 

52 minutes ago, Getafix said:

A good edge rusher showing up in the portal is extremely rare and just like the NFL, it’s common that pass rushers are the second highest paid position in the portal following the quarterback position. That said, NIL will play a crucial role in Moore’s recruitment just as it does for the large majority of high profile portal prospects, and I’d expect many impressive offers to be thrown at Moore over the next few days as he works out scheduling some visits. 

Have we tried selling him on the long-term earning potential of a UT diploma?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

Jordan Scruggs (Horns 247)

Jerand Bradley (Texas Tech WR): "I wouldn’t be surprised if the Longhorns were to get Bradley in on a visit as Texas was one of five programs mentioned by the source when I asked which programs have the most buzz at the moment."

Trey Moore (UTSA EDGE): " ... he’s sure to be one of the more coveted players at the EDGE position in all of the portal." " ... it’s Texas who’s Moore’s current favorite school."

Xavier Filsaime:  " ... I’m really starting to feel good about Texas’ chances of flipping McKinney five-star safety Xavier Filsaime."

Scattershooting recruiting notes on a pair of potential portal targets

Reveal hidden contents

Scattershooting recruiting notes on a pair of potential portal targets

— In the stampede yesterday I wrote about Texas Tech wide receiver Jerand Bradley, who is now officially in the transfer portal with two years left of eligibility. Texas, along with several other programs have already shown interest in the 6-foot-5, 215 pound wide receiver and he’s sure to hear quite a few more offers as he’ll be one of the more coveted pass catchers on the market. 

Earlier today I was able to speak with a source near Bradley who told me that the Texas Tech transfer will start the process of scheduling visits sometime this weekend. Based off where things currently stand, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Longhorns were to get Bradley in on a visit as Texas was one of five programs mentioned by the source when I asked which programs have the most buzz at the moment. 

The other schools mentioned were Louisville, Oklahoma, UCLA, and USC. Bradley’s process will take some time to play out though, and just like any other receiver on the market that Texas is in play for, timing is of the essence. 

— UTSA redshirt sophomore EDGE Trey Moore was one of the bigger names to enter the transfer portal today as the 6-foot-3, 235 pounder posted 14 sacks, 17.5 tackles for loss, 45 total tackles, four pass deflections, one forced fumble, and one interception through 12 starts in 2023. Having two years left of eligibility with numbers like that that followed a more then solid year in 2022 where Moore posted 8 sacks and 59 tackles, he’s sure to be one of the more coveted players at the EDGE position in all of the portal.

Knowing that, I checked in with a source in San Antonio who told me that while Moore’s process will take some time to play out, it’s Texas who’s Moore’s current favorite school. I’ve yet to talk to a single source to get a read on how Texas’ side views Moore, but as talented as he is I don’t think anyone in the country will be turning him down and if so it’ll be a small handful at the very most.

A good edge rusher showing up in the portal is extremely rare and just like the NFL, it’s common that pass rushers are the second highest paid position in the portal following the quarterback position. That said, NIL will play a crucial role in Moore’s recruitment just as it does for the large majority of high profile portal prospects, and I’d expect many impressive offers to be thrown at Moore over the next few days as he works out scheduling some visits. 

— Last but not least, I’m really starting to feel good about Texas’ chances of flipping McKinney five-star safety Xavier Filsaime off of his Florida pledge. While I doubt a flip would happen before the official visit is taken on Dec. 15-17, I still feel really good about the Longhorns’ chances of adding what would be their fourth five-star prospect to the 2024 recruiting class. This one feels really similar to other high profile flips the staff has pulled off in the past, and as we’re now 10 days away from Filsaime’s official visit starting — the stars are starting to align.

This is like maxing the recruiting skill tree in NCAA 14

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Spoken like a man who needs a whole lot of incoming transfers

I dig that motherfucker’s energy. I have no idea if he is a good coach, but that man is cranked up to 11 in every presser I’ve seen, and most of the time his voice is already completely gone. He’s like that true freshman that has no clue where he is supposed to be going on the field, but he is going 110 mph anyway. He really plays up the fact that he was at FSU with Norvell as evidence that he knows how to successfully rebuild a program. Like you said, he’ll need some of Norvell’s portal magic to make it work.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

LT Overton joined his buddy Walter in the portal. A&M is up to 12, but still no Evan Stewart. Texas A&M Aggies 2024 College football Transfer Portal (247sports.com)

This is all just so amazing. As talented as we are, we are at least arguably getting better at most or all positions, especially on defense. 

2 hours ago, RabidM said:

Those elite EDGE players are going to be very expensive.  If we spend big there, it seems like we'd have less to spend on other positions or to retain current players.  An elite pass rusher would be amazing though.  It feels like we haven't had one in so many years. 

Truth. Remember Nebraska going insane and outbidding us for Ochaun Mathis? That worked out great for them. Really the missing piece in their triumphant 4-8 season. 

• Haha 2

UTSA redshirt sophomore EDGE Trey Moore was one of the bigger names to enter the transfer portal today as the 6-foot-3, 235 pounder posted 14 sacks, 17.5 tackles for loss, 45 total tackles, four pass deflections, one forced fumble, and one interception through 12 starts in 2023. 

Ice Cube Movie GIF

32 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Truth. Remember Nebraska going insane and outbidding us for Ochaun Mathis? That worked out great for them. Really the missing piece in their triumphant 4-8 season. 

This post reminded me of a thought that kept coming back to me while following this thread the past couple of days—I remember last year when that one guy threw an absolute bitch fit over the fact that Lincoln Riley was lapping Sark in portal additions, and drastically improving his absolutely horrendous defense by adding splashy names at critically weak positions. I couldn’t help but wonder if he got a chance to see the fruits of that labor manifest on the field in the form of a radically improved SC defense. That prescient fellow’s username seems to have escaped my memory. I sure hope he didn’t commit harakiri after watching Sark get owned all offseason…

Oh, who am I kidding? We all knew that man was alive and well when the “Gerry, why does Bo Davis suck at his job?” super chats came rolling in every livestream.

51 minutes ago, SamMan said:

This post reminded me of a thought that kept coming back to me while following this thread the past couple of days—I remember last year when that one guy threw an absolute bitch fit over the fact that Lincoln Riley was lapping Sark in portal additions, and drastically improving his absolutely horrendous defense by adding splashy names at critically weak positions. I couldn’t help but wonder if he got a chance to see the fruits of that labor manifest on the field in the form of a radically improved SC defense. That prescient fellow’s username seems to have escaped my memory. I sure hope he didn’t commit harakiri after watching Sark get owned all offseason…

Oh, who am I kidding? We all knew that man was alive and well when the “Gerry, why does Bo Davis suck at his job?” super chats came rolling in every livestream.

I’m fairly certain that was @BurntOrange&White .

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

We are going to bring South Carolina and Clemson fans together after we land Wells and Makuba. 

I think the entire Southeast is going to be banding by together soon.

Florida - helped lock FSU out of a playoff spot (I know it was Bama but still), bout to steal Florida’s 5 star safety recruit

Georgia - embarrassed in last gem together

South Carolina - about to nab Mukuba and Wells

Alabama - no need to say anything more 

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.