2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

The whole draft is full of dudes just like this this year. JJ Mcarthy went in the top 20 in Dane Bruglers latest mock draft...I simply cannot see it with that dude

Agreed.  He's got Christian Ponder/Jake Locker written all over him.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I’m glad Quinn is coming back, but seeing people mock JJ McCarthy in the first made me feel like Quinn could have went first round this year. Outside of the hype of being a five star in high school I just don’t see anything special with JJ. 

18 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

The whole draft is full of dudes just like this this year. JJ Mcarthy went in the top 20 in Dane Bruglers latest mock draft...I simply cannot see it with that dude

McCarthy blurb

19. Los Angeles Rams: J.J. McCarthy, QB, Michigan

Going into Aaron Rodgers’ age-36 season, the Packers made a forward-thinking pick and drafted their quarterback of the future (Jordan Love) in the back half of Round 1. Going into Matthew Stafford’s age-36 season, the Rams might be in a position to follow the same approach. Who knows when Stafford will hang ’em up, but with his injury past, the Rams at least need to consider it.

There is a wide range of opinions on McCarthy’s projection and draft value. Michigan didn’t ask him to consistently push the ball downfield, but he was outstanding on money downs and will have the word “winner” bolded and highlighted in his scouting report (27-1 career record with a national title). Though I think he’ll have mostly second-round grades, McCarthy’s tools and intangibles could get him into the top 25.

in what is other good news here is where he has Texas folks going:

• 16 - Byron Murphy II
  • 30 - T'Vondre Sweat
  • 33 - Adonai Mitchell
  • 56 - Jonathan Brooks
  • 57 - Xavier Worthy
  • 60 - Ja'Tavion Sanders

for shits and giggles, the only A&M player on the list is Edgerrin Cooper at #55.

Ennis Rakestraw is in his list too at #52. ole chicken legs became a physical CB in college evidently

One of the draft’s more physical corners, Rakestraw plays with the mentality and toughness to make plays against both pass and run.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Is Tulane star chasing, or are they actually loading up with talent?

Ty Thompson was a total bust at Oregon. It’s probably not a terrible strategy at Tulane to star chase to see if one of those guys can live up to their high school rankings but that’s a lot of recruiting busts on that list. 

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

Ty Thompson was a total bust at Oregon. It’s probably not a terrible strategy at Tulane to star chase to see if one of those guys can live up to their high school rankings but that’s a lot of recruiting busts on that list. 

It is generally an awful strategy.  TCU did it last year.  And landed a bunch of scrubs who take up scholarships.

If the first thing in a transfer tweet is noting the recruiting ranking, there is nothing about production in college, and the player has had two years in a college system, you don't want them.

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

It is generally an awful strategy.  TCU did it last year.  And landed a bunch of scrubs who take up scholarships.

If the first thing in a transfer tweet is noting the recruiting ranking, there is nothing about production in college, and the player has had two years in a college system, you don't want them.

i think the Tulane coach is much better than Sonny Dykes for what it's worth

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RGBIII said:

I'm on the record in the Draft thread that McCarthy is going to get a GM fired if he's picked in the first round. He's a total JAG and has been ass in games against good teams. Pray a team you hate drafts him.

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

No, Jon Sumrall.  Took a troy team that had won 5 games for three straight seasons and got them to 12 and 11 wins the last two. 

Well then he’s not better than the last 2 Tulane coaches. He’s certainly not better than Willie Fritz

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is a tough break for @Wulaw Horn and his patented "You heard it from me and everybody laughed at the time" maneuver.

I said he was the guy I wanted above everyone and channeled the million dollar man Ted DiBiassi with every man has a price. Apparently he doesn’t. Good for him I guess. 

29 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

It clears his schedule so he can tell us how Jett Bush will be drafted now that he has declared for the draft.

Uh no. I set the over under at 10.5 for longhorns if Collins, Barron and Quinn all declared. If I miss it will be like by half a dude. Yall are dumb. 

Cargo shorts are my go to for Greyhound bus rides.  Pocket for sanitizer for the greasy haired hooker sitting next to me.  Another pocket for  air freshener for the guy in house shoes and sweat pants sparking it up 2 rows ahead.  And of course, the cargo pocket for a condom for the "half way there gas station stop" if the hooker and I end up hitting it off.  These shorts are so multipurpose. 

CJK?H has entered the chat.
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, FreeHorn said:

I’m glad Quinn is coming back, but seeing people mock JJ McCarthy in the first made me feel like Quinn could have went first round this year. Outside of the hype of being a five star in high school I just don’t see anything special with JJ. 

He would've, but he'll probably be the number 1 pick next year. 

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I wanted Texas to recruit that guy during his high school cycle, mostly because his name is awesome.

Please tell me has has a little brother named Deuteronomy. 

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, NoName said:

McCarthy blurb

in what is other good news here is where he has Texas folks going:

• 16 - Byron Murphy II
  • 30 - T'Vondre Sweat
  • 33 - Adonai Mitchell
  • 56 - Jonathan Brooks
  • 57 - Xavier Worthy
  • 60 - Ja'Tavion Sanders

for shits and giggles, the only A&M player on the list is Edgerrin Cooper at #55.

Ennis Rakestraw is in his list too at #52. ole chicken legs became a physical CB in college evidently

Murphy at 16 is a good indicator that that mock is total horse shit. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, utfan87 said:

Well then he’s not better than the last 2 Tulane coaches. He’s certainly not better than Willie Fritz

the last two coaches?

the guy before Fritz won 30% of his games and was fired. the guy before that was Bob Toledo who won 24.6% of his games before resigning in season. the guy before that won 39% of his games.

while i really like Fritz, he didn't exactly blow it up there during his time. finished very strong obviously but they went 2-10 with exclusively his guys in 2021 before 12-2 and 11-2. 23-4 in the last 2 years, and 54-47 overall there.

Fritz is great and the 2-10 to 12-2 is probably the best single season turnaround ever. but want to point out that the 2-10 year was his sixth season at the job and 100% his dudes.

he's probably going to kill it at Houston

wait were you referring to Mack Brown? who left there in 1987 and won 32% of his games there?

the only truly good coach they have had in the last 40 years results wise was Tommy Bowden who went 18-4 over 2 years in the late 90s. since 1951 here is the full list of coaches who have left there with winning records

• Vince Gibson 80-82, went 17-17
  • Tommy Bowden, 97-98, went 18-4
  • Willie Fritz 16-23, went 54-47

that's the full list.

Edited by NoName
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Thats an interesting and wholly inaccurate way to take a giant steaming shit on Burnt Ends. 

It's the only such outfit I could name in the time it takes to write a post.

Again, you have found me a lout and wretch. I shall slink away leaving as little slime in my wake as I can manage.

23 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

Put me in the camp that thinks Texas will be no where near the top of the lists. Here is who I see in front of us for each team unless we are number one.

Alabama Crimson Tide - Auburn, LSU and Tennessee
Arkansas Razorbacks - Texas!
Auburn Tigers - Alabama, Georgia, LSU
Florida Gators - Georgia, LSU and Alabama
Georgia Bulldogs - Florida, Tennessee, Auburn
Kentucky Wildcats - Who knows and who cares
LSU Tigers - Alabama, Ole Miss maybe Texas in the future
Mississippi State Bulldogs - Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss
Missouri Tigers - Oklahoma
Ole Miss Rebels - LSU, MSt
South Carolina Gamecocks - Who knows and who cares
Tennessee Volunteers - Florida, Alabama even Georgia before us
Texas A&M Aggies - TEXAS!!!!, they pretend to not like LSU
Vanderbilt Commodores - Who knows and who cares

Now that I thought about it more your post may be worthy of message board genius.

Oklahoma?

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

No, Jon Sumrall.  Took a troy team that had won 5 games for three straight seasons and got them to 12 and 11 wins the last two. 

I wonder who his offensive staff hires are going to be. Dude can coach a defense for sure, but offense was frustrating to watch. He had Vidal, a great between the tackles runner who already has Troy's career rushing record with a year of eligibility to go. But, man, there was no creativity in the passing game. If it was 3rd and medium or longer, the play call was a back shoulder fade to the best WR. All season long.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TheBryMan81 said:

I wonder who his offensive staff hires are going to be. Dude can coach a defense for sure, but offense was frustrating to watch. He had Vidal, a great between the tackles runner who already has Troy's career rushing record with a year of eligibility to go. But, man, there was no creativity in the passing game. If it was 3rd and medium or longer, the play call was a back shoulder fade to the best WR. All season long.

Odd team to follow all year.  You have a connection?

28 minutes ago, NoName said:

i'm very, very high on Jon Sumrall, the guy they just got from Troy.

i'm also rather low on Dykes, in general.

Kentucky was ready to hire him if Stoops to A&M had actually happened and I think that would've been a perfect fit.

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Every time I watched Drake Maye, which was plenty, I found myself thinking “someone is about to draft this guy in the top 5?”

Drake Maye reminds me of Jake Locker or Josh Rosen. Or at UT with Tyrone Swoopes. Tons of hype based on perceived strengths that never showed up anywhere that mattered.

Those guys get GMs fired. Losers lose.

Edited by Tex Pete

34 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Drake Maye reminds me of Jake Locker or Josh Rosen. Or at UT with Tyrone Swoopes. Tons of hype based on perceived strengths that never showed up anywhere that mattered.

Those guys get GMs fired. Losers lose.

Nah, I don't think that is a fair assessment. Maye is legitimately pretty good. Is he a top 5 pick good? Probably not. I could see him being a mid level starter or perhaps have a Colt McCoy like career as a long time backup. This year's QB draft is going to be full of a bunch of fools gold. McCarthy will be out of the league in 5 years, Williams has a very high potential of flaming out, Nix is just not a great quarterback to begin with. Maye is the safest pick, and even then you aren't guaranteed a long term starter. Daniels and Jefferson may be two guys who could have some real impact, but I am still not fully sold on either at the next level. If I had to pick someone  as a starter Day 1, it would probably be Penix, and even he has a bunch of injury concerns. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.