2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

Anybody else hear Rick Neuheisel on Sirius XM this morning flat out say that Alabama is investigating Texas for tampering with  Bond?  It didn't sound to me like he was assuming anything. He flat out said it.  Can Bama really be that desperate?  Looks like they are finally learning how it is not be living up on Mt. Saint Saban.
Bama getting a dose of their own medicine and that shit tastes like grape-flavored Nyquil dog shit.

They are about to find out what it's like not to get the Saban discount. I'm here for it!
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Prepare your anus 1

2 minutes ago, BlackCat said:

Bama is going to go kicking and screaming. Those people have been relatively quiet for 17 years because they’ve had the luxury of just sitting back and letting Saban do his thing. We are going to see how crazy they actually are. Unhinged, irrational, spoiled brats. No one will shout from the rooftops louder than them that Texas is “killing the SEC”. 

You are correct, but aggy going to fight them for that trophy.

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Now? Bama's NIL isn't dramatically higher than their prior bag budget. They don't have the alumni base or local corporate density to grow it much.

Underestimate captains of industry like Phyllis from Mulga and Pee Wee from Grand Bay at your own peril, sir.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Delta Charlie said:

Anybody else hear Rick Neuheisel on Sirius XM this morning flat out say that Alabama is investigating Texas for tampering with  Bond?  It didn't sound to me like he was assuming anything. He flat out said it.  Can Bama really be that desperate?  Looks like they are finally learning how it is not be living up on Mt. Saint Saban.

I don't really understand their complaints about Bond. Wasn't the portal closed for him until Saban retired? And then he entered the portal immediately. If we did tamper, apparently we didn't go it well enough to get him to leave until Saban retired.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

For perspective, Alabama's bag game was run for less than $1M per year. They typically got a Saban discount to boot. That enabled them to typically be the most powerful player in the black market of buying players through family members or street agents before NIL. Sure, a team like Auburn or Tennessee would occasionally show up and go batshit crazy and buy above everyone else's head for a cycle, but Bama would still get theirs. Georgia, under Smart, wound up with a bigger budget and started to encroach on Saban's reach, but they were the only true threat for keeping an absolute competitive advantage against the rest of CFB.

The whole game was played between Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, LSU, Georgia, Ole Miss, FSU, Auburn, and few others. The game was closed and few new entrants could win their way into the dealings with the agents and such. ATM came in at the end with money ultimately so over the top that it made a mockery of the game, just as NIL was dawning in order to destroy the prior premise in general. 

Now? Bama's NIL isn't dramatically higher than their prior bag budget. They don't have the alumni base or local corporate density to grow it much. They aren't even close to being relevant compared to numerous other schools, but notably Texas and Ohio State. Without Saban and his gravitas and NFL placement history, the gap just grew immediately wider. I'm not going to go into further specifics right now, but we're talking about a Grand Canyon kind of gap between where Bama is and where Texas is. 

Also, if Oatis goes in the portal, much like Niblack and Bond, I expect Texas to be front and center in that recruitment. 

Oatis going into the portal seems like a longshot now that Roach was retained. 

44 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They have been the greatest offenders of tampering across the entire landscape of CFB, excluding USC. Mack Brown has outright named Bama and Saban as the perpetrators tampering with Maye and trying to buy him down to Bama. Not in public, where he's all but said it, but he's absolutely told contacts in the media about it and shown them screenshots of stuff. 

The idea that Alabama thinks they have a sympathetic leg to stand on regarding tampering issues is so rich that it's almost mind-numbing. This shit is outstanding.

Wonder if Mack has enough Texas loyalty to provide that proof if Bama actually does push some UT investigation

59 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

These places really need to quit with the speculative NIL values shit.  Or am I wrong and they have all sorts of data and it’s an analytically driven and fairly accurate number?  

It's an analytically-driven inaccurate number.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

For perspective, Alabama's bag game was run for less than $1M per year. They typically got a Saban discount to boot. That enabled them to typically be the most powerful player in the black market of buying players through family members or street agents before NIL. Sure, a team like Auburn or Tennessee would occasionally show up and go batshit crazy and buy above everyone else's head for a cycle, but Bama would still get theirs. Georgia, under Smart, wound up with a bigger budget and started to encroach on Saban's reach, but they were the only true threat for keeping an absolute competitive advantage against the rest of CFB.

The whole game was played between Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, LSU, Georgia, Ole Miss, FSU, Auburn, and few others. The game was closed and few new entrants could win their way into the dealings with the agents and such. ATM came in at the end with money ultimately so over the top that it made a mockery of the game, just as NIL was dawning in order to destroy the prior premise in general. 

Now? Bama's NIL isn't dramatically higher than their prior bag budget. They don't have the alumni base or local corporate density to grow it much. They aren't even close to being relevant compared to numerous other schools, but notably Texas and Ohio State. Without Saban and his gravitas and NFL placement history, the gap just grew immediately wider. I'm not going to go into further specifics right now, but we're talking about a Grand Canyon kind of gap between where Bama is and where Texas is. 

Also, if Oatis goes in the portal, much like Niblack and Bond, I expect Texas to be front and center in that recruitment. 

IMG_0797.gif.675e672c1d25a08c2bc8a3e2a8a46421.gif

• Hook 'Em 6

Seems like nowadays players have agents and agents can talk to collectives. No need for players or schools to have direct contact with anyone. I'm not completely familiar with the rules but there is enough wiggle room there to get away with a lot. 

My feeling is that if Texas is breaking any rules, they should be punished, but if they're just pushing the envelope, that's a different story.  

I suspect they are just aggressively working within the guidelines set by the NCAA.

So where does Bama roughly rank in the SEC when it comes to NIL? They are certainly well behind Texas, Georgia, and A&M. I would assume they are also behind Florida, LSU, Mizzou, TN and Ole Miss. Probably OU and Auburn as well? Who is left? Arkansas, MSU, KY, Scar, and Vandy? Who are they actually outspending?

And how on earth are they going to sell a guy who made his bones in NAIA, spent some time at fucking Indiana, and then two years at Fresno State plus two at UW with a 30 year old QB? All with a staff from a similar background plus Freddie Roach? They gonna get killed.

I think Deboer is a really, really good coach. And well, he better be.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Honestly the NCAA investigating anyone for tampering at this point would be hilarious. So much of it going on and it's blatantly obvious when you see people enter the portal and the reporters IMMEDIATELY know where they're going. 

Examples - Downs, Riley Leonard, Sam Hartman, Jordan Addison, AD, and many many more

35 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Thinking about Clemson right now is pretty entertaining also. Clemson's problems are both similar and acutely different than Bama's. 

Clemson also doesn't have the wherewithal in their base or local corporate density to be competitive with other programs in NIL. It doesn't matter who their coach is, that problem is going to stick with them. 

Then, think about the approach Swinney has taken to the transfer portal. In this cycle, Clemson has taken 0 players from the portal. They've lost 10 guys to it, and several are starters - Collins, Makuba, Pride (wasn't a starter but played a lot until the middle of this season - injury?). No one is doing more work to actively ignore the portal than Swinney, and it's not fully working out. 

Now think about everything Swinney has said in regard to NIL. The guy was happy letting the bag game run its course with handlers involved at the $9.95er and church leadership levels, where he could actively turn a blind eye. Now, when confronted with the prospect of players getting paid above board, Dabo has spoken about NIL with open disdain. How's that going to work out?

Since the dawn of the portal and NIL in full force, 2022 forward, Clemson has had its lowest recruiting rankings in close to a decade. From 2018-2021, Clemson's recruiting rankings were in the top 10, mostly in the top 5. The past 3 cycles? 14, 11 and now 13. Not terrible, but not something that's going to lead to a consistent national title contender, either. 

If you're Clemson, you have to feel a bit trapped. Getting rid of Swinney seems absurd, yet you know there are decent odds that Clemson's future records will look more like 8-5 than 14-1. 

Next year, Clemson loses its entire DL, Trotter (AA LB), Wiggins (potential first CB taken in 2024 draft), Makuba, Mickens, Shipley, Collins, and multiple OL. Maybe all of the players that fill those roles will wind up being awesome and Klubnik will actually deliver on Swinney's fantasies about him. Maybe all of those hail marys get completed. Or maybe the tumbledown continues and we get to all point and laugh at Swinney being an obstinate hillbilly who caught the tiger by the tail, and then let go and lost it forever. Should be fun to witness.

Lot out. Not much in

image.png.acf72cd82e69dbbb9619fa16ed01a68e.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

MidSouthBama already with the horns down. These fucks are going to hate us like Nebraska hates us in 2-3 seasons. 

You can already see the timing of NIL and us joining the SEC as the cause for everyone to hate us. Again. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

These places really need to quit with the speculative NIL values shit.  Or am I wrong and they have all sorts of data and it’s an analytically driven and fairly accurate number?  

No, the numbers are shit but their customers don't know any better. 

I suspect any “Alabama investigation” of Texas tampering is an attempt to hold off future contacts (by all other schools) with the rest of their roster. 

What happened to the Saban bragging to THSCA about his QB (Bryce Young) getting $1 million in NIL?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.