2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

1 hour ago, Tex48 said:

Lots of NIL at Iowa?  Maybe just homesick I guess.  It's kind of shocking that running this guy out there as an overmatched true freshman all year was Bama's best option.

1 hour ago, Park Gothic said:

I've been told by friends who follows Arizona (in addition to being Texas fans) that he's a different style of player, but comparable in terms of talent and contribution. He's more of a lengthy, speedy guy than a gap filling run stopper. 

We don't need more of those. 

31 minutes ago, WBT said:

Lots of NIL at Iowa?  Maybe just homesick I guess.  It's kind of shocking that running this guy out there as an overmatched true freshman all year was Bama's best option.

Iowa was runner up on that recruitment. Pays to be in second sometimes 

We’re apparently building a team to get out to big leads early and then have the NASCAR package on the DL to go after the QB when they are forced to pass by necessity. Or maybe with a better secondary we can commit more bodies to the box against the run. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tex48 said:

I know nothing about Iowa’s NIL competitiveness. I do know they have a decent story to tell about OL development. But, there is something I’ve been wondering about B1G NIL…

The SEC has been the best conference because that’s where the best concentration of players is, along with programs that have rabid and large support. Their supporters, though, are mostly big southern dummies. 

The B1G has large support, too, not as rabid, but (probably?) more prosperous. The B1G has a better media contract to support their ADs, and they have the potential for larger NIL support than their southeastern “peers”. I don’t know how many B1G teams have an institutional desire for nationally competitive football (Michigan, tOSU, PSU, USC, Washington, Oregon, NU…Illinois? UCLA? Iowa?), but they have a lot of potential to make noise, right? And aren’t we learning, with NIL that geography matters less to portal transfer than HS recruits?

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 1

Savea is a fine replacement for Trill Carter. I’d gladly take him. 

There is no DT currently available that can come even close to replacing Murphy or Sweat. Maybe something happens in the Spring window, but that caliber of player at that position doesn’t come around very often in the portal.

• Hook 'Em 7

39 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

We’re apparently building a team to get out to big leads early and then have the NASCAR package on the DL to go after the QB when they are forced to pass by necessity. Or maybe with a better secondary we can commit more bodies to the box against the run. 

You can't lose a game in which the opponent never stops you from scoring TDs.

1 hour ago, Lonestar88 said:

There is no DT currently available that can come even close to replacing Murphy or Sweat. Maybe something happens in the Spring window, but that caliber of player at that position doesn’t come around very often in the portal.

Would be great to find out if Texas/blOU will be eligible to accept any SEC transfers during the 2024 Spring window???    @BobbyB

The SEC currently has a conference rule that does not allow SEC teams to accept transfers from another SEC school during the spring transfer portal window. 

Texas officially joins the SEC July 1st, 2024.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, statsman said:

The B1G has large support, too, not as rabid, but (probably?) more prosperous. The B1G has a better media contract to support their ADs, and they have the potential for larger NIL support than their southeastern “peers”. I don’t know how many B1G teams have an institutional desire for nationally competitive football (Michigan, tOSU, PSU, USC, Washington, Oregon, NU…Illinois? UCLA? Iowa?), but they have a lot of potential to make noise, right? And aren’t we learning, with NIL that geography matters less to portal transfer than HS recruits?

I've thought about that too.  It's another reason I'm not happy to be joining this hayseed league.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Iowa was runner up on that recruitment. Pays to be in second sometimes 

Wasn’t he committed to them for a long time before flipping on signing day?

1 hour ago, Reese Bennett said:

Theoretically you could, assuming the opposing team also scored a TD every time and had one more possession.

Or if you had (future NFL kicker) Nick Rose kicking PATs.

1 minute ago, Mother mopar said:
13 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

Iowa Tampering with a Bama player wasn't on my bingo card.

Saying you’ll get through this is not tampering. You build relationships with these athletes and just calling them up and wishing them luck is not a violation

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

Savea is a fine replacement for Trill Carter. I’d gladly take him. 

So you're saying there are no DTs in the portal that are projected top 15 NFL Draft picks or Outland Trophy winners?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

36 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

So you're saying there are no DTs in the portal that are projected top 15 NFL Draft picks or Outland Trophy winners?

There is a difference in saying there are no 1:1 replacements for Sweat or Murphy and saying we shouldn’t just take a guy because we need depth. I’d rather throw a talented freshman to the fire before doing that. What is the general view of the Arizona guy? 

24 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

There is a difference in saying there are no 1:1 replacements for Sweat or Murphy and saying we shouldn’t just take a guy because we need depth. I’d rather throw a talented freshman to the fire before doing that. What is the general view of the Arizona guy? 

Good chance he’ll start for us (unless we add another guy later). At the very least, he’ll be one of the main guys in our DT rotation. It’s a good add, and he definitely upgrades the roster. 

• Hook 'Em 7

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.