2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

As best I can tell, Davis entered the portal in January with a do-not-contact tag, but has never released a top schools list or anything. I'm not even sure he's taken visits. He practiced with the team during the spring but there hasn't been any news that he withdrew from the portal. 

PFF has him as the #4 returning corner in the country, two spots above Jabbar Muhammad. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Brooks has gotten burned repeatedly and busting coverages even in the spring game.  Ohio State thought he was safety and it's making sense now.  If we are getting the Arizona CB, that should be an upgrade.

CB-  Manny

CB-  Davis (potential transfer)

S-  Mukuba

S-  Williams

Nickel-  Barron/Gillbeau

Rotational players-  Holmes, McDonald, Taafe.

Mukuba can play star and Barron can play CB.  This should be a solid DB group with good cover skills if the coaches can fucking do their job and teach them proper technique.  Rod Babers almost loses his shit when he talks about the poor technique that is being taught.  He talks about how our DBs don't play inside/outside leverage properly and these are simple things that should be taught.  

• Hook 'Em 8

3 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Brooks has gotten burned repeatedly and busting coverages even in the spring game.  Ohio State thought he was safety and it's making sense now.  If we are getting the Arizona CB, that should be an upgrade.

CB-  Manny

CB-  Davis (potential transfer)

S-  Mukuba

S-  Williams

Nickel-  Barron/Gillbeau

Rotational players-  Holmes, McDonald, Taafe.

Mukuba can play star and Barron can play CB.  This should be a solid DB group with good cover skills if the coaches can fucking do their job and teach them proper technique.  Rod Babers almost loses his shit when he talks about the poor technique that is being taught.  He talks about how our DBs don't play inside/outside leverage properly and these are simple things that should be taught.  

Yea you can tell Rod isn't feeling Joseph. You can tell He wants to go in, but he's not trying to Bash the coaches. 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

According to Bobby this sounds like a decent player wanted star NIL money and Sark said no. Perhaps Sark said "No, that money is slotted for Tacario Davis". Welcome to the new world of college football

I'm fucking happy Sark is our coach.  If a player is going to demand high dollar, well you better play like it or it'll get spent on someone that is worth the money.  Under Mack, I imagine NIL would be handed out like orange slices to seniors.  The more you've bled for the program, the more NIL.

• Hook 'Em 8

45 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

According to Bobby this sounds like a decent player wanted star NIL money and Sark said no. Perhaps Sark said "No, that money is slotted for Tacario Davis". Welcome to the new world of college football

These are the types of decisions you have to make if you want to win. 

It brings me back to Dillon Mitchell last year in men's basketball. I think it's a very similar situation. Decent player but not worth the type NIL he wants and there are probably pretty big upgrades out there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I don't think Texas is going to have to start Barron at CB this year, but if they did, light the cigarettes now because we've already been fucked.

I like the sound of that.

14 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

It's a good one but stolen off JerseyMan in the Spring Camp thread on the football board yesterday

Screenshot_20240423-150755.png

Dear sir, I'll have you know I stole that from a buddy's text who said this meme was on OB.  I passed THAT on as my own.  I said good day!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

17 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Yea you can tell Rod isn't feeling Joseph. You can tell He wants to go in, but he's not trying to Bash the coaches. 

It’s been hilarious seeing him vindicated while CJ and Bobby squirm around the topic after months ago ridiculing calls to look at the DB coaches.

16 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Can’t Gillbeau play corner? He’s been thru a lot, almost portaling, injuries, etc. but when healthy he flashed at times. 

He’s a nickel/safety. Him playing outside CB probably wouldn’t go well. Same for Barron, but Barron would be better outside than Guilbeau if we had to pick. 

18 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I'm fucking happy Sark is our coach.  If a player is going to demand high dollar, well you better play like it or it'll get spent on someone that is worth the money.  Under Mack, I imagine NIL would be handed out like orange slices to seniors.  The more you've bled for the program, the more NIL.

Let's be careful about lauding Sarkisian towards rare air when it comes to all of this. He's not alone and he's not supplying the cash. The fact that Texas decided it was important to give a mediocre former walk-on who comes from money and was happy to play for free a big fat stack in this cycle should cause everyone to pause in a big way before going in this direction.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Let's be careful about lauding Sarkisian towards rare air when it comes to all of this. He's not alone and he's not supplying the cash. The fact that Texas decided it was important to give a mediocre former walk-on who comes from money and was happy to play for free a big fat stack in this cycle should cause everyone to pause in a big way before going in this direction.

Yes, I get it.  He's not perfect.  What I meant was that it's refreshing to see a coach actually do his best to win a championship and run this program based on meritocracy.  

And, maybe this was their way of rewarding him in getting Arch on campus.... kidding obviously.

Edited by victory88
  • Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Holy shit. Taafe got paid?

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm mad online again. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Texas Flood said:

Signed a deal with Vinex

PAAD74994_110441-DAV-SPT-P01.jpg?width=5

His whole family is Texas - that's where his parents met - that's where his uncles went - that where his grandad was an AA swimmer. He probably didn't give other schools much thought.

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Agree. Been saying from the start that it was weird Sark hired him for CBs

To be fair to Sark, are coaches all such lug heads that they can’t even learn to coach a second position near to the one they have experience coaching? It ain’t rocket surgery.  

9 minutes ago, Bevo said:

His whole family is Texas - that's where his parents met - that's where his uncles went - that where his grandad was an AA swimmer. He probably didn't give other schools much thought.

A deific hand should reach down and take his NIL and scholarship and hand it to Auburn.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

It's going to be really weird when Tacario Davis says "No thanks, Texas. I'd rather play for Duane Akina"

Their CBs will have excellent technique while giving up 40 points on a porous and poorly coordinated defense. 

Somebody who transferred in, may be transferring again. (Report)

Expect a returning starter in the secondary to transfer. 

Silas Bolden who hasn't even made it to campus yet? That's my guess...maybe Gavin Holmes.
  • Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

To be fair to Sark, are coaches all such lug heads that they can’t even learn to coach a second position near to the one they have experience coaching? It ain’t rocket surgery.  

Joseph would have to learn to coach a first position before he can learn a second. 

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lol at people here bemoaning the loss of Brooks. If he'd stayed, we'd have been bitching about him all season. Hell, the motherfucker got torched much of last season and was routinely bailed out by WRs not catching passes that hit their wide open hands.

I'm not going to sit here and exonerate Joseph or even Gideon. They're obvious weak links on the defensive staff. Joseph isn't going to develop shit, particularly at CB over Safety. Fine. Brooks has been on campus 3 years, and he's plateaued or regressed. I have little faith that he would have turned it around with another year of coaching from Joseph. I'll roll the dice that Mack or Black are the next Manny Muhammed, dogs that come in and are self-disciplined and will get better on their own with more reps. We know what Brooks is, at this point, under Joseph. 

We just simply can't recruit corners who don't have top end speed anymore. We could get away with that somewhat in the B12, but in the SEC everyone has guys that can fly. It would have been a long and painful season for Brooks if I had to guess followed by discussion on moving him to safety. I also question why he is blowing coverages in year 3 as a multiyear starter. I was a little dubious about him going into next season prior to the spring game. We just need more athleticism in that spot.  

51 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

It's going to be really weird when Tacario Davis says "No thanks, Texas. I'd rather play for Duane Akina"

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Speaking Akina, he’s been an OC and DC in his career.