Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

Headed back to Austin next weekend to see the family and do a thing or two at the house to get it ready to sell. Looks decent enough but that’s still in the long range forecast relying on historical norms.  

some leaves are starting to turn up here,  as the temperatures are correct for such behavior. 

18 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Headed back to Austin next weekend to see the family and do a thing or two at the house to get it ready to sell. Looks decent enough but that’s still in the long range forecast relying on historical norms.  

some leaves are starting to turn up here,  as the temperatures are correct for such behavior. 

leaves are turning in austin too.

but it is just because the trees died.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

Current ambient temp at the reporting sub-station about 1.5 miles from my house=92*, with a real feel of 100*.  We are headed to 102* temp with probably 110* in real feel/heat index.  Same for tomorrow. 

So yeah, we can totally end this thread and my fellow Texans can get their technical jackets out of the closet and take to the streets.  This is fucking insane. 

15 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I'll join in the chorus today that this is fucking bullshit.  We had a cross country meet at 9:30 this morning and had kids dropping like flies from heat exhaustion.  I've never seen that many runners just collapse like today even in hotter conditions.

Fucking ridiculous.

You tempted the gods...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Probably so and my apologies.  But we're a bit on edge after one of my kid's teammates was taken to the hospital this morning.

Why didn't you say that in the original post? Baiting? I hope the kid is ok, but this is surly and this one is on you bud.

I am about to head to the turf fields for baseball practice, hoping none of my kids have the same fate. I have my boy loading up on water since he woke up.

10 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I'll join in the chorus today that this is fucking bullshit.  We had a cross country meet at 9:30 this morning and had kids dropping like flies from heat exhaustion.  I've never seen that many runners just collapse like today even in hotter conditions.

Fucking ridiculous.

Old Settler's Park?

11 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Current ambient temp at the reporting sub-station about 1.5 miles from my house=92*, with a real feel of 100*.  We are headed to 102* temp with probably 110* in real feel/heat index.  Same for tomorrow. 

So yeah, we can totally end this thread and my fellow Texans can get their technical jackets out of the closet and take to the streets.  This is fucking insane. 

It was 101 at DFW Airport today — another broken record. It’s the first day of “fall.” Headed to 100 again tomorrow. Fuck this climate.

11 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Maybe my back porch is just breeze-less or something because I feel like you always say this.  I let the dogs out at 7:30 and it was like getting hit in the face with a warm, wet sponge.

I wonder... we've got lots of parkland across from our hood and maybe that helps keep temps in check (?) and the house faces E/W so we get southern breezes that come across the front and back yard.  Could be.  It was really breeze yesterday when we were down in San Marcos but hot as balls.   

Houston gonna shatter the previous record for 9/24 by a good 4-5 degrees today. Line of storms tomorrow should bring temps back down to earth, but still no sign of any legit cooldowns in the making. Still not a single number starting with a 6 all the way out to 10/8.

If nothing materializes in the next week or two, it's becoming increasingly likely we'll set a new record for latest first cold front. We're already a couple days past the usual arrival. GFS models have some  Canadian fronts heading south over the next 2 weeks, but they all seem to slam on the brakes north of the Red River. 

Edited by Storm the Field

46 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

100 with a heat index of 109. In late September. I'm never going to be presumptuous about summer ending again. I'm in the middle of second summer. I'm hopeful second summer will end sometime in October. 

This is a heat index of 113 at 5pm here by Round Rock.

6EA05B56-F3F6-45B3-B5A1-60D58431A592.jpeg

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m going to Detroit next 3 days. We will have a low in the 50’s. I was all excited and my wife looked at me like I was a lunatic. She started a fire Friday night while wearing her hoodie. It was dark, yes. The heat index was 97 at the time. She’s a lunatic

This is one of three things:  Terrible prologue to a Penthouse Forum letter, curious script treatment for a 'Cabin in the Woods' prequel, or the opening deposition to your murder/divorce trial.  Either way, I'm for tree-fiddy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Touching roughly 100* with the heat index every day this week except Tuesday.  Yep, totally done with summer because of the  tilt of Earth's axis at the moment of the Autumnal Equinox where some swamp gas from Venus reflected off the South Pole.  Holy fucking shit.  When this bullshit end?  

14 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m going to Detroit next 3 days. We will have a low in the 50’s. I was all excited and my wife looked at me like I was a lunatic. She started a fire Friday night while wearing her hoodie. It was dark, yes. The heat index was 97 at the time. She’s a lunatic. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1