Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

It would be so 2023 if the first weekend of ACL gets clobbered by rain.

Lol. After this summer we're going to be picky about when it does rain? I'd be fine with ACL being cancelled altogether if it meant the lakes fill up, the blastfurnace dies, and we fill up the creeks. 

As I've said before, on a long enough timeline...sooner or later, Foo Fighters and/or Red Hot Chili Peppers will play in everyone's lawn.  

I really think this thread and the rain thread are utter and total bullshit.  And y'all should feel bad about yourselves.  I keep running into Yeomans at my Trader Joe's and I want to fight him for all his false hope.  But his wife/girlfriend is always coming from yoga/pilates and has a great ass.  What were we talking about?  Oh yeah, weather for OU and ACL.  Can't get any worse.  Most of the youngsters don't remember the last dillo dirt debacle so maybe we'll get some literal ass to mouth.

csb/ there was a time about 3 months ago, they were both in there after a workout and I was a few people behind them but that line snakes around before you get to the registers so there were on the other side of the impulse buy half-shelf.  And her yoga pants were bright green, like the same shade as the weather wall they use on newscasts.  And in my head I was waving my hand by her ass saying, "And we gotta hot front converging with this back mass which could lead to some much-needed moisture."  And they both turned around and I had to play it off like "Oh look, rosemary almonds on special..."  I realized then, drunk or sober...I'm a total barbarian in public when it comes to ass.  

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

csb/ there was a time about 3 months ago, they were both in there after a workout and I was a few people behind them but that line snakes around before you get to the registers so there were on the other side of the impulse buy half-shelf.  And her yoga pants were bright green, like the same shade as the weather wall they use on newscasts.  And in my head I was waving my hand by her ass saying, "And we gotta hot front converging with this back mass which could lead to some much-needed moisture."  And they both turned around and I had to play it off like "Oh look, rosemary almonds on special..."  I realized then, drunk or sober...I'm a total barbarian in public when it comes to ass.  

Ass Barbarian is my new Operatic Metal concept.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

That's quite the commute.

Reminds me of the one part of "Office Space" that's not believable.  Peter's neighbor says he's been driving up to do drywall at the new McDonald's in Las Colinas.  Now it's never expressed that the rest of it all takes place in Austin, but it's not a secret either.  It's supposed to be a hot, flat tech hub of a town.  So we're to believe he's driving 3+ hours each day to do drywall when there's plenty of crews in the Metroplex that could handle the job just fine.  And he wonders why he doesn't have a million dollars to get two chicks at the same time?...because he's wasting his money on high fuel charges for his full size pickup truck.  

Also, it's getting fucking hot out already.  My guest for the game is coming in from Lawrence, KS tomorrow.  He was asking why it was so hot in Texas.  I told him it's also gonna be 95 in Lawrence tomorrow and if his church hadn't torched all scientific knowledge over and over again for a 1000 years, we'd probably be past this shit.  He reminded me he was a pro-knowledge Jesuit Priest.  And I texted back, "Yeah, now you are.  Pretty convenient."  God never struck me as the "You know, I don't mind the heat.  Beats freezing in Winter you ask me" type.  Probably why the bible never talks about snow.  

His family are mostly farmers.  One year, he held a special mass to pray for rain.  Afterwards he said he felt bad about it because prayer is supposed to summon things inside your subconscious and your heart that can help you overcome setbacks in life, or be a better person.  We have no control over the rain, so what's the point in praying for it, he felt.  I told him that it rains roughly the same amount on Earth every year (about 40"), just distributed differently each year in various places.  So when you're receiving excess rain, you're really praying that other people on earth go into draught.  He feels I may not be cut out to be Catholic.  But last year, I turned myself over to a higher power nonetheless.  Going dry never felt so wet.  Wait, whuh? 

Reminds me of the one part of "Office Space" that's not believable.  Peter's neighbor says he's been driving up to do drywall at the new McDonald's in Las Colinas.  Now it's never expressed that the rest of it all takes place in Austin, but it's not a secret either.  It's supposed to be a hot, flat tech hub of a town.  So we're to believe he's driving 3+ hours each day to do drywall when there's plenty of crews in the Metroplex that could handle the job just fine.  And he wonders why he doesn't have a million dollars to get two chicks at the same time?...because he's wasting his money on high fuel charges for his full size pickup truck.  

The opening traffic montage is literally Dallas though. LBJ/Tollway area.

• Hook 'Em 3

Front late next week starting to get pretty locked in to forecasts. ~90 more hours of Longest Summer Ever and then things should start shifting.

Only big change I've seen since rumors of a front first dropped has been that the window to get some rain seems to have has widened. Earlier this week, slight chance of rain on Wednesday and good chance on Thursday as front passes through. Currently pretty solid rain chances Tues-Thursday and then still a decent shot to get a little more over the weekend.

"Coldest" part of the front looks like it will be next Sunday and Monday after things dry up. Warms back up a little after that, but nowhere near these recent unseasonably warm days. Closer to seasonal average temps for the 2nd week of October. 

• Drool 1

16 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Front late next week starting to get pretty locked in to forecasts. ~90 more hours of Longest Summer Ever and then things should start shifting.

Only big change I've seen since rumors of a front first dropped has been that the window to get some rain seems to have has widened. Earlier this week, slight chance of rain on Wednesday and good chance on Thursday as front passes through. Currently pretty solid rain chances Tues-Thursday and then still a decent shot to get a little more over the weekend.

"Coldest" part of the front looks like it will be next Sunday and Monday after things dry up. Warms back up a little after that, but nowhere near these recent unseasonably warm days. Closer to seasonal average temps for the 2nd week of October. 

I'm going to throw out some grass seed on my. mudhole backyard on Monday.  This shit needs to happen.

19 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yep.  I recognized metric a couple of times and of course old alligator grill

Also idc about the las colinas thing.  It’s just a lame ass moniker to represent a cheesy burb

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 1

Feels pretty damn good outside. Warm and sunny, but low humidity and there's a nice dry breeze. So used to it being oppressively muggy at this point of the day. Gonna take advantage of one last hot, sunny Summer Sunday watching Stros game from the pool. Water temp has come back down to a very refreshing 85. Was getting up around  ~91 during the worst stretch in August. Felt like hopping from a sauna into a lukewarm bath. 

Looks like we've got one more warmer than average, sunny day in the mid-90's tomorrow leading into a gray, wet mid-week. Colder temps should start arriving sometime between late Thursday and early Saturday (depending on how far south you are) after the rains pass and dewpoints start to plummet.

I will of course wait for the forecast to actually pan out, but pretty good chance that we can soon declare Blastfurnace 2023 kaput. A full 150 days (5/5/23-10/2/23) of the hottest, most miserable Summer most of us have ever experienced (so far). Pause for a moment, if you will, to remember the HVAC units, lawns and landscaping we're left to mourn.

There will still be plenty of warm days ahead, and this thread will linger into November as always, but fellas, we're here, gasping towards the finish line of one of the shittiest marathons ever run.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Summer ending just a hint before Columbus Day.  Totally normal.  Glad y'all are comfortable.  My neighbor's magnolia tree is about to crack into my driveway at some point this week, but totes happy that humans have A/C still despite our grid fuckup.  

17 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Summer ending just a hint before Columbus Day.  Totally normal.  Glad y'all are comfortable.  My neighbor's magnolia tree is about to crack into my driveway at some point this week, but totes happy that humans have A/C still despite our grid fuckup.  

Dude. Get help. Seriously, go outside and touch burnt-up grass.

This Summer sucked fucking balls. No one is happy about it. Climate change is real and is a problem that needs to be addressed. Our state has ongoing problems with governance and utility/resource management that don't bode well for the future.

None of that has any bearing on breathing a sigh of relief that this giant middle finger of a Summer is finally running out of gas.

• Like 1